Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Microsoft Sound Mapper Missing???

So here I am in a hotel room with my new netbook computer, and I can't
get any audio out of the speakers or headphone jack. Curiously,
Microsoft Sound Mapper is no longer listed as an audio device in the
Windows (XP) Sounds setup or as an audio device in Audacity or Sound
Forge that I have installed. There's signs of life - the meters move but
nothing comes out the speakers or headphone jack.

I can select Realtek (the built-in sounc card) as the audio device, and
that used to work fine, but it doesn't now. I don't have any other audio
devices (like a USB audio I/O) that I can plug in to try.

Could I have lost the Realtek/Microsoft driver?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
So here I am in a hotel room with my new netbook computer, and I can't
get any audio out of the speakers or headphone jack. Curiously,
Microsoft Sound Mapper is no longer listed as an audio device in the
Windows (XP) Sounds setup or as an audio device in Audacity or Sound
Forge that I have installed. There's signs of life - the meters move but
nothing comes out the speakers or headphone jack.

I can select Realtek (the built-in sounc card) as the audio device, and
that used to work fine, but it doesn't now. I don't have any other audio
devices (like a USB audio I/O) that I can plug in to try.

Could I have lost the Realtek/Microsoft driver?

I'd go to Control Panel and look for you, but my arms aren't that
long. There should be a CAB file on disk, - if not, download it. Let
us just hope it is not an infant mortality problem.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
So here I am in a hotel room with my new netbook computer, and I can't
get any audio out of the speakers or headphone jack. Curiously,
Microsoft Sound Mapper is no longer listed as an audio device in the
Windows (XP) Sounds setup or as an audio device in Audacity or Sound
Forge that I have installed. There's signs of life - the meters move
but nothing comes out the speakers or headphone jack.

I can select Realtek (the built-in sounc card) as the audio device,
and that used to work fine, but it doesn't now. I don't have any
other audio devices (like a USB audio I/O) that I can plug in to try.

Could I have lost the Realtek/Microsoft driver?

What devices show if you go to Settings | Control Panel| Sounds and Audio
Devices | Audio or | Hardware.

Maybe it has different descriptions...

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 4/6/2010 8:16 PM, Soundhaspriority wrote:

Perhaps I might ask, are you sure Sound Mapper was listed in the XP panel?

Well, I thought so, but maybe not. I don't have another computer to
compare it to
out here. But I looked there because Sound Mapper used to show up as a
choice
in Sound Forge and when it didn't, I went looking in the likely place.

However, I uninstalled the Realtek audio using the Device Manager, then
rebooted
and let it find the new hardware. After that, WinAmp worked, Sound Forge
worked,
and Microsoft Sound Mapper shows up as a choice in Sound Forge but not in
the Control Panel Sounds window. So maybe it's never there.

Just another computer mystery.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 4/6/2010 8:16 PM, Soundhaspriority wrote:

Perhaps I might ask, are you sure Sound Mapper was listed in the XP
panel?

Well, I thought so, but maybe not. I don't have another computer to
compare it to
out here. But I looked there because Sound Mapper used to show up as a
choice
in Sound Forge and when it didn't, I went looking in the likely place.

However, I uninstalled the Realtek audio using the Device Manager,
then rebooted
and let it find the new hardware. After that, WinAmp worked, Sound
Forge worked,
and Microsoft Sound Mapper shows up as a choice in Sound Forge but
not in the Control Panel Sounds window. So maybe it's never there.

Just another computer mystery.

Naa - the Control Panel window Audio device(s) is ARE what other apps may
describe as MS Sound Mapper. The mapper in turn maps to the assigned
device(s). The alternative (as in SF) is to map to the device directly,
rather than via the MS Mapper...

geoff

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

However, I uninstalled the Realtek audio using the Device
Manager, then rebooted
and let it find the new hardware. After that, WinAmp
worked, Sound Forge worked,
and Microsoft Sound Mapper shows up as a choice in Sound
Forge but not in the Control Panel Sounds window. So
maybe it's never there.

Just another computer mystery.

IME, if the device driver for the one and only device on the PC stops
operating, then the mapper goes away with it.

The mystery is why the driver went away, and why it had to be reinstalled to
come back.

If the hardware had a temporary glitch, the driver would usually reinstall
it during the next boot.

IME the most likely cause of audio driver weirdness is Microsoft's Windows
Update. It gets confused by some Realtek and CMI audio interfaces and has
been known to download and attempt to download and install the wrong driver.
That breaks the previous driver. However, I haven't seen that happen for a
year or more.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 4/7/2010 12:07 AM, Soundhaspriority wrote:

If this turns out to be a recurring problem, you might try uninstalling
without using the driver packag uninstall as follows:

In System--Hardware--Device Manager tab-Sound, video, and game
controllers--Realtek,

click uninstall, and reboot. The system will find the hardware again.

That's exactly what I did.

As to what provoked it, did you attempt to have WinAmp and Sound Forge
active at the same time? This can cause resource lock problems.

I might have done that in my thrashing around, but the first symptom was
that
WinAmp (the only program open at the time) didn't have audio output even
though
it appeared that it was playing.

I'm thinking that something I did over the weekend may have caused a
problem. I picked
up a Plextor USB CD-RW drive at a hamfest for $2 so I could have a CD to
use with the
netbook. Plextor drives of that period (this one is stamped 2003 on its
label) had firmware
that supported a utility that they supplied with the dirive that, among
other things, did some
basic quality checks on a CD-R. I put out a call for a copy of the
PlexTools installer (it's no
longer on the Plextor web site, having been replaced by a new version
that supports their
DVD drives, and no longer does the QC tests) and received a few versions
of different
ages. While each version recognized the drive, none supported the
quality tests. I suspect
that this model simply didn't have the firmware to support it.

I've been a good boy, setting a Windows restore point before installing
each version, and
I've been using Revo Uninstaller to remove programs since it looks
through the registry for
traces that the program's own uninstall misses. Revo sets a restore
point before it goes to work.

But the last time around, I forgot to set a restore before installing
the program, and I tripped up running Revo, hitting the "restart the
computer now" button by mistake after the Plextor uninstaller ran,
before Revo had a chance to go through the registry. When I tried to restore
to the point before uninstalling PlexTools, Windows said it couldn't
restore to that point.

Anyway, I checked things out and it seemed that I still had audio, but
maybe I didn't check everything. Hopefully this won't be a recurring
problem. It hasn't been, net.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/7/2010 8:39 AM, Arny Krueger wrote:

IME the most likely cause of audio driver weirdness is Microsoft's Windows
Update. It gets confused by some Realtek and CMI audio interfaces and has
been known to download and attempt to download and install the wrong driver.
That breaks the previous driver. However, I haven't seen that happen for a
year or more.

Since this computer is off more than it's on, I have automatic updates
turned off (and even on computers where it's turned on, I always look
first before installing updates) and it hasn't had
an update in a few weeks.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

On 4/7/2010 8:39 AM, Arny Krueger wrote:

IME the most likely cause of audio driver weirdness is
Microsoft's Windows Update. It gets confused by some
Realtek and CMI audio interfaces and has been known to
download and attempt to download and install the wrong
driver. That breaks the previous driver. However, I
haven't seen that happen for a year or more.

Since this computer is off more than it's on, I have
automatic updates turned off (and even on computers where
it's turned on, I always look first before installing
updates) and it hasn't had an update in a few weeks.

The second most likely way that a driver gets broken is a little more scary.
Permanent, unrecovered hard drive error.

How full is the hard drive? How often defragged?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 08:39:35 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

IME the most likely cause of audio driver weirdness is Microsoft's Windows
Update. It gets confused by some Realtek and CMI audio interfaces and has
been known to download and attempt to download and install the wrong driver.
That breaks the previous driver. However, I haven't seen that happen for a
year or more.

It's often worth searching out an older driver. The "improvement" in
a newer version is often to disable the internal WaveOut Mix (or
whatever they call it) recording source, which is very useful for
direct recording from e.g. Spotify or an online radio station.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

news
wrote:

IME the most likely cause of audio driver weirdness is
Microsoft's Windows Update. It gets confused by some
Realtek and CMI audio interfaces and has been known to
download and attempt to download and install the wrong
driver. That breaks the previous driver. However, I
haven't seen that happen for a year or more.

It's often worth searching out an older driver. The
"improvement" in a newer version is often to disable the
internal WaveOut Mix (or whatever they call it) recording
source, which is very useful for direct recording from
e.g. Spotify or an online radio station.

Agreed. I suspect removal of this feature was stimulated by IP concerns.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/7/2010 9:44 AM, Arny Krueger wrote:

The second most likely way that a driver gets broken is a little more scary.
Permanent, unrecovered hard drive error.

How full is the hard drive? How often defragged?

Not much chance of that. It's 160 GB with 121 GB free. I was defragging
fairly often when I was cleaning off the junk that came with the computer so
it's been defragged several times in the past month.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Apr 6, 7:46*pm, Mike Rivers (that's me)
wrote:
So here I am in a hotel room with my new netbook computer, and I can't
get any audio out of the speakers or headphone jack. Curiously,
Microsoft Sound Mapper is no longer listed as an audio device in the
Windows (XP) Sounds setup or as an audio device in Audacity or Sound
Forge that I have installed. There's signs of life - the meters move but
nothing comes out the speakers or headphone jack.

I didn't figure out what was happening, but I discovered what was
causing the problem. I had my MP3 player plugged into a USB port to
charge it when the audio output disappeared. When I rebooted after
unplugging it, the audio returned. I plugged it in, and the audio went
away (and stayed away even after unplugging it) until I rebooted
again.

I've had the same player plugged into my other computers at home and
haven't had this problem, though I don't know if it affects the
internal sound card since I don't use it on the other computers. Just
another quirk.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote in message
On Wednesday, 7 April 2010 00:46:37 UTC+1, Mike Rivers wrote:
So here I am in a hotel room with my new netbook computer, and I can't
get any audio out of the speakers or headphone jack. Curiously,
Microsoft Sound Mapper is no longer listed as an audio device in the
Windows (XP) Sounds setup or as an audio device in Audacity or Sound
Forge that I have installed. There's signs of life - the meters move but
nothing comes out the speakers or headphone jack.

I can select Realtek (the built-in sounc card) as the audio device, and
that used to work fine, but it doesn't now. I don't have any other audio
devices (like a USB audio I/O) that I can plug in to try.

Could I have lost the Realtek/Microsoft driver?

At the risk of being presumptuous, two avenues:

Rt Click My Computer, Manage, Device Manager - Sound, Video and Game
Controllers -
check for drivers missing or update as needed

Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices - all of the controls for
your sound system -
check for something muted by chance

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/18/2014 1:28 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

At the risk of being presumptuous

Do you realize that the post (of mine) that you responded to the reply
to was just over four years old. I don't even remember what I did to get
it working again. but it works now, and it didn't take me four years to
figure out.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
On 4/18/2014 1:28 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

At the risk of being presumptuous

Do you realize that the post (of mine) that you responded to the reply to
was just over four years old. I don't even remember what I did to get it
working again. but it works now, and it didn't take me four years to
figure out.

Well then, let's switch to the slowness of your Email server...

Gary

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

On 4/18/2014 1:28 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

At the risk of being presumptuous

Do you realize that the post (of mine) that you responded to the
reply to was just over four years old. I don't even remember what I
did to get it working again. but it works now, and it didn't take me
four years to figure out.

Well then, let's switch to the slowness of your Email server...

email server?

Gary

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
eb.com...
Gary Eickmeier wrote:

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

On 4/18/2014 1:28 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

At the risk of being presumptuous

Do you realize that the post (of mine) that you responded to the
reply to was just over four years old. I don't even remember what I
did to get it working again. but it works now, and it didn't take me
four years to figure out.

Well then, let's switch to the slowness of your Email server...

email server?

Er...ah... News server? ISP?

Gary

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/18/2014 6:07 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Er...ah... News server? ISP?

Did you guys see my ORIGINAL message pop up here recently? I didn't. I
only saw a reply to it. Google keeps stuff forever, so it might have
just caught the eye of who decided to be
helpful.

It's not unusual for someone who isn't a regular here to reply to an old
message, particularly when he's coming from Google Groups (which he
was). It's one of the reasons why some people look down on users who
read this newsgroup as a Google group. I sometimes do, myself, when the
news host that I use, Eternal September, gets constipated.

--
For a good time, visit
http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Well, the really odd thing is that habibi's OP post did not have any
answer in it, just the question, so I thought it was from him from
the 16th. This is really strange.

Not all interfaces to usenet makes posting date the most obvious, you're not
the first to end up following up to an old post, it can even be seen as
relevant if it has no follow-ups or solutions.

Gary

Kind regards

Peter Larsen