Posted to alt.music.mp3.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Default Which MP3 Recorder has the longest recording time?

Matt wrote:
There is a lower quality setting (I think it's 8kb/sec) which I expect
should still be better then nothing, so I'll give that a try. I'm
assuming the restriction is likely to be on the size of the file,
rather then the length of the recording?

The restriction could be on either, depending on the recorder you're
using. The only 100% reliable way to check is to do a dry run.

Mike's suggestion of making a dummy battery & connecting an external D
cell to it is easy to do, & for a trial, need do no damage to your
recorder. Neaten it up before you use it in anger, & you're there. The
dummy battery can be made from a length of wood with a couple of the
circular connectors used for earth connections on cars screwed into the
ends with countersunk screws. Connect the D cell in its holder to the
appropriate ends & you're done. Leave the battery cover off for testing,
& then either cut a notch in it & put it back on for use or leave it off
& tape the assembly together. Just watch out for the venue security
people thinking it's a very small bomb. If you know them well enough for
this not to be a problem, offer one of them a beer or two to place it
for you. If you don't know them that well, there are likely to be blue
flashing lights all over the place, given the current security status in
the UK. ;-)

The voltages of all alkaline cells are near enough identical (Nominally
within a few hundredths of a volt), & your player won't know the
difference. It'd possibly even survive a reverse polarity connection if
you're lucky.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to alt.music.mp3.hardware, rec.audio.pro, rec.audio.tech
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Jan 7, 12:00 pm, Matt wrote:

My recording I started going yesterday stopped a few minutes ago.
There was still enough battery life left to keep the screen going
(though would it stop if there wasn't enough to keep the recording
going?), and another 26 hours of memory remaining. Sadly it didn't
start a new file either. The file was just over 24 and a half hours
long, and is 336MB in size.

It's worth trying to continue the experiment with a larger power
source. The file size that we know about is 2GB or 4 GB for a common
computer operating system, but we know (nor can guess) nothing about
your particular recorder. You should rig up a D cell to it, try it
again, and see if it still stops at 336 MB.

There is a lower quality setting (I think it's 8kb/sec) which I expect
should still be better then nothing, so I'll give that a try.

You may need to since you have about a day's worth of recording time
left after recording for about a day, and you need one more day after
that if you're really going to let it run for 3 days.

I take it the current from a D cell is the same as that from a AAA
since they are both 1.5V cells?

The current is determined by the load (the recorder) and that doesn't
change. You will not damage the recorder by powering it with a D cell
as long as you don't hook it up backwards. And even then, they
generally idiot proof these things since people are likely to put the
battery in backwards sometimes. So if it doesn't run when you hook it
up, check your connections.

As an aside I've had a thought. By turning down the contrast on the
small LCD screen to as low as possible and making sure the backlight
doesn't come on for a brief few seconds at the start of the recording,
can I expect much of an improvement in battery life?

Probably not much, but maybe a little. The latest version of firmware
allows you to turn off the blinking LED when it's recording. They say
that conserves battery life but I actually think it's a "stealth"
thing, or to eliminate the visual distraction if you have it sitting
on a table at a meeting and everyone is watching the blinking light.