Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] radams2000@gmail.com is offline

Default Cheap subwoofers

I have a quick question. Do cheap sub- woofers (less than 200 dollars) have built- in compressors that you can't turn off? If so, are they set as limiters to prevent speaker damage or are they active over a wide input range to increase bass loudness?

Bob
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ian Manners Ian Manners is offline

Hi Bob,

It's a 'How long is a piece of string' question..

Some have compressors, some don't, depends on markup and were they are made.

Give us a clue like brand and model so we can at least 'google' it for more information :-)
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ian Manners Ian Manners is offline

If so, are they set as limiters to prevent speaker
damage or are they active over a wide input range
to increase bass loudness?

I don't think the cheap ones care about speaker damage.
Some might have varisters, others clamp the input.
I've only seen a moderate priced unit that compress's the input to make it all muddy.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] radams2000@gmail.com is offline

I am using Polk Audio. I'm doing experiments in acoustics that would fail if the gain was modulated by a compressor. They must be doing something to prevent clipping.

Bob