Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

Default R.I.P. Steve Jobs

On 10/23/2011 4:09 PM, Neil Gould wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:
"Neil wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Neil wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:
I see no distinction between designing and marketing, the former
being the vital first step in the marketing process.

In many, if not most situations, those two aspects are not
performed by the same person, and while creativity is in common,
the rest of the requirements are largely unique to each role.

It's much easier to market a "well-designed" product.

Sales volumes suggest that it's easier to market a cheaper product,
and "well-desgined" products are seldom cheaper.

In the end, well-designed stuff and poorly-designed stuff costs the
same, or the well-designed product is even cheaper. You may be
confused by the fact that initially, well-designed stuff can demand a
price premium, and get it.

I'm not confused by this at all, Arny. My parent's motto was "...poor folks
can't afford cheap stuff...", and taught us to evaluate the quality of
products before putting out the cash. However, that isn't the basis by which
most folks buy things -- hence my above comment -- and I have several
friends that think there is no difference between, as an example, Squire and
American Standard Strats.

The "Custom Vibe" CV Squires are made in China, and they play
extremely well, at about 1/2 to 1/3 the price.....

And I won't get as angry if someone spills a beer on it at the
bar.....

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Meindert Sprang Meindert Sprang is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
.....it takes some 50 seconds before it is operational from
stand-by. Open a MacBook and it is operational within 2 seconds. Now THAT

is
what I call a positive user experience.

Re-read the above: I am talking about waking up from standby. Not a full
reboot.

As for your experience connecting to the Internet, well I can only
suggest you sort out your connections. For me it is immediate.

Strange. I see this behaviour on every XP, Vista and & laptop in the past
three years.

Meindert

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Meindert Sprang Meindert Sprang is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

50 seconds to come out of standby?

Much faster after a clean installation but after a few months of regular
use, it gets slower and slower.

Meindert

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Meindert Sprang Meindert Sprang is offline

"Charles Tomaras" wrote in message

Close IE and then start it again to fully connected with home page
loaded.... 3 seconds.

On one fixed PC in my office I find the exact same times but I 've seen a
lot of laptops from friends that all show the same slow behaviour. It's the
same when I open IE in Win7 in Parallels on my MacMini.

I'm not bashing Windows, but in my experience of working on both systems
side by side, every day, OS X wins hands down when it comes to user
experience.

Meindert

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message
"Don Pearce" wrote in message

Strange. I see this behaviour on every XP, Vista and & laptop in the past
three years.

Strange, the various systems I see generally work differently from each
other. None of them are as poorly behaved as the ones you see. Perhaps your
observations are

(1) Of a relatively small sample
(2) the sample is somehow biased

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

50 seconds to come out of standby?

Much faster after a clean installation but after a few months of regular
use, it gets slower and slower.

Interesting. My clean installations stay clean and perform accordingly.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Charles Tomaras Charles Tomaras is offline

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message
"Charles Tomaras" wrote in message

Close IE and then start it again to fully connected with home page
loaded.... 3 seconds.

On one fixed PC in my office I find the exact same times but I 've seen a
lot of laptops from friends that all show the same slow behaviour. It's
the
same when I open IE in Win7 in Parallels on my MacMini.

So you are saying your performance is degraded running IE in a virtualized
OS on a Mac Mini? Imagine that!

I'm not bashing Windows, but in my experience of working on both systems
side by side, every day, OS X wins hands down when it comes to user
experience.

I'll add that all of my speedy boot ups, reboots, sleeps and hibernates are
all using Microsoft Security Essentials as well.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

Strange. I see this behaviour on every XP, Vista and & laptop in the

past
three years.

Strange, the various systems I see generally work differently from each
other. None of them are as poorly behaved as the ones you see. Perhaps

your
observations are

(1) Of a relatively small sample

The sample consists of PC's in my office and 4 laptops from girlfriend and
kids. And of course, god knows what the laptops pickup in their daily use of
chatting, internetting and downloading music.

(2) the sample is somehow biased

Might be, especially since I work on both systems side by side.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

Strange. I see this behaviour on every XP, Vista and & laptop in the

past
three years.

Strange, the various systems I see generally work differently from each
other. None of them are as poorly behaved as the ones you see. Perhaps

your
observations are

(1) Of a relatively small sample

The sample consists of PC's in my office and 4 laptops from girlfriend and
kids. And of course, god knows what the laptops pickup in their daily use
of
chatting, internetting and downloading music.

(2) the sample is somehow biased

Might be, especially since I work on both systems side by side.

I have the same experience. Macs for video editing/graphics. PC's for
everything else. (I skipped WinME and Vista). XP and Win7 on eight machines
over the years have never had inherent stability problems. I've had a few
instances, where new utility software programs didn't play nice, but that's
about it. FCP regularly chokes on a quad core G5, when one forgets that the
program doesn't like very large stills on the time line. In my mind both
MAC and PC get a lot of work done without much hassle. I am a great admirer
of Apple's industrial design and their robust cases.

Steve

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Wielage[_2_] Marc Wielage[_2_] is offline

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 08:20:21 -0700, Steve King wrote
(in article ):

FCP regularly chokes on a quad core G5, when one forgets that the
program doesn't like very large stills on the time line.
------------------------------snip------------------------------

The G5 is an old, old, old computer at this point -- introduced in 2003, and
killed in 2006. I wouldn't want to use it with Final Cut Pro on anything
serious at this point.

A used recent-model Mac Mini would kill a G5. I'd say the same thing about
an 8-year-old PC and a 2011 PC.

I have to say, Jobs' life is much more tragic when you look at it as
presented in Isaacson's book. The man's a fine writer, too, and the story he
presents is compelling. Whether you hate or admire Steve Jobs, the book is
remarkable and dramatic; I have no doubt it'll make a great movie someday.

--MFW

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Marc Wielage" wrote in message

I have to say, Jobs' life is much more tragic when you look at it as
presented in Isaacson's book. The man's a fine writer, too, and the story
he
presents is compelling. Whether you hate or admire Steve Jobs, the book
is
remarkable and dramatic; I have no doubt it'll make a great movie someday
--MFW

And we already know what the final words spoken in the movie will be as the
credits roll. The writers who are working on the story must have rolled over
when they heard Steve sister's account of things.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 11/5/2011 2:31 AM, Marc Wielage wrote:
On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 08:20:21 -0700, Steve King wrote
(in ):

FCP regularly chokes on a quad core G5, when one forgets that the
program doesn't like very large stills on the time line.
------------------------------snip------------------------------

The G5 is an old, old, old computer at this point -- introduced in 2003, and
killed in 2006. I wouldn't want to use it with Final Cut Pro on anything
serious at this point.

A used recent-model Mac Mini would kill a G5. I'd say the same thing about
an 8-year-old PC and a 2011 PC.

I have to say, Jobs' life is much more tragic when you look at it as
presented in Isaacson's book. The man's a fine writer, too, and the story he
presents is compelling. Whether you hate or admire Steve Jobs, the book is
remarkable and dramatic; I have no doubt it'll make a great movie someday.

The first part of his life already has made a good movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWyLOKjlAKA

Quite an asshole, but inspiring nevertheless....

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Wielage[_2_] Marc Wielage[_2_] is offline

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 11:24:49 -0700, Charles Tomaras wrote
(in article ):

And we already know what the final words spoken in the movie will be as the
credits roll. The writers who are working on the story must have rolled over
when they heard Steve sister's account of things.
------------------------------snip------------------------------

There's lots of ways to approach it dramatically. They could start on his
deathbed and do his entire life as a series of flashbacks. If Aaron Sorkin
is involved (already mentioned as a potential screenwriter), it could be a
"Rashomon" deal, a conflicting story told from many different angles.
Isaacson really did his homework on the book, and exposed and clarified many
myths that built up over the years.

The one good thing I can say about Jobs personally is that he clearly changed
in the last few years of his life and I think he reassessed his difficult,
abrasive, confrontational manner. But I agree, his strained relationship
with his sister and first daughter are very troubling.

Another interesting observation: Jobs himself blames the stress of having to
run Apple and Pixar simultaneously for several years, working 16 hours a day,
6 days a week, as being one of the main causes for his health issues. I
suspect his bizarre diets didn't help, either.

--MFW

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Marc Wielage" wrote in message
.com...
On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 11:24:49 -0700, Charles Tomaras wrote
(in article ):

And we already know what the final words spoken in the movie will
be as the credits roll. The writers who are working on the story must
have rolled over when they heard Steve sister's account of things.
------------------------------snip------------------------------

The one good thing I can say about Jobs personally is that he clearly
changed in the last few years of his life and I think he reassessed his
difficult, abrasive, confrontational manner. But I agree, his strained
relationship with his sister and first daughter are very troubling.

As someone who has had lifelong problems getting along with people, I feel a
lot of sympathy with Jobs. Just because you come up with a great product
that's the seed of a major corporation, doesn't mean you're the best person
to manage the company's employees. Off the top of my head, I can't think of
anyone who had both good business/product ideas and the ability to benignly
inspire people.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
rakman rakman is offline

On Nov 6, 2:18*pm, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Off the top of my head, I can't think of
anyone who had both good business/product ideas and the ability to benignly
inspire people.

Lol. "benignly inspire" Good one.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
As someone who has had lifelong problems getting along with people, I feel
lot of sympathy with Jobs. Just because you come up with a great product
that's the seed of a major corporation, doesn't mean you're the best
person
to manage the company's employees. Off the top of my head, I can't think
of
anyone who had both good business/product ideas and the ability to
benignly
inspire people.

Of the ones I can think of, Howard Schultz of Starbucks might be the closest
to having that combination of qualities.

60 Inspirational Steve Jobs Quotes david correia Pro Audio 0 February 13th 11 02:13 AM
Engineering Jobs Syed Pro Audio 1 July 20th 08 11:04 AM
Chicago Audio Jobs Quinn Curren Pro Audio 1 July 6th 06 12:40 PM
where are the sound design jobs? cporro Pro Audio 1 January 17th 06 05:11 AM
"Trickle Down" Jobs Sandman Audio Opinions 3 February 25th 04 12:49 PM