Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ is offline

Default Lopsided hearing-

From my days of louder music, I have a right ear that hears much lower
volume then my left ear........ I guess having my keyboard up near
that drummers snare drum for all those years kind of beat on one ear
more then the other.

Anyway, these days is it really an issue for mixing. I find that I
have to move off center to really get a true stereo balance in my head
- that will work for other people. Does anyone else have that dead ear
and if so what do you do about it? I've tried everything.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~" wrote in message
From my days of louder music, I have a right ear that hears much lower
volume then my left ear........ I guess having my keyboard up near
that drummers snare drum for all those years kind of beat on one ear
more then the other.

Anyway, these days is it really an issue for mixing. I find that I
have to move off center to really get a true stereo balance in my head
- that will work for other people. Does anyone else have that dead ear
and if so what do you do about it? I've tried everything.

Danny,
Regardless of the mixing issue, I think you should have your ears tested,
and it is likely you will have to wear a hearing aid to compensate.

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ is offline

On Oct 28, 12:13*pm, "polymod" wrote:
"Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~" wrote in ...

From my days of louder music, I have a right ear that hears much lower
volume then my left ear........ I guess having my keyboard up near
that drummers snare drum for all those years kind of beat on one ear
more then the other.

Anyway, these days is it really an issue for mixing. I find that I
have to move off center to really get a true stereo balance in my head
- that will work for other people. Does anyone else have that dead ear
and if so what do you do about it? I've tried everything.

Danny,
Regardless of the mixing issue, I think you should have your ears tested,
and it is likely you will have to wear a hearing aid to compensate.

Poly

I've got about 15-20% less volume in my right ear.... I know that much
already but a hearing aid is not going to happen. its just enough to
mess everything up.
I was talking to the doc and he said that most people have one ear
like that from various jobs and such. I think most musicians have it
for sure!

If you pick up a phone and listen for the difference between ear to
ear, you'll see. I bet you have it - wouldn't wish it on you but I'd
bet you do at least to some point.

Turning up the volume on the speakers doesn't work, A hearing aid
wouldn't work for mixing at all since you're messing up the actual
signal with more electronics and all. The only thing I can do is move
a little to one side and then test the mix sitting backwards so I give
the other field of sound a fair listen. .. It's more about hearing
imbalance in the first place.

I'm surprised more people haven't address this issue. I would have
thought it was a big deal to most on stage types.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~" wrote in message
On Oct 28, 12:13 pm, "polymod" wrote:
"Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~" wrote in

If you pick up a phone and listen for the difference between ear to
ear, you'll see. I bet you have it - wouldn't wish it on you but I'd
bet you do at least to some point.

Since I use my ears for a living (I'm a piano tuner as well as a musician),
I have my ears checked regularly. My hearing is perfect, which is amazing
since I played for many years in a progressive rock band with the drummer
always to my left.
Guess I was lucky.
Still, I wouldn't rule out an aid. A buddy of mine who runs a music teaching
studio with over 300 students wears one....you'd never know he had it.

Best,
Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
glenn taylor glenn taylor is offline

On Oct 28, 5:35*pm, "polymod" wrote:
"Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~" wrote in ...
On Oct 28, 12:13 pm, "polymod" wrote:

"Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~" wrote in
If you pick up a phone and listen for the difference between ear to
ear, you'll see. I bet you have it - wouldn't wish it on you but I'd
bet you do at least to some point.

Since I use my ears for a living (I'm a piano tuner as well as a musician),
I have my ears checked regularly. My hearing is perfect, which is amazing
since I played for many years in a progressive rock band with the drummer
always to my left.
Guess I was lucky.
Still, I wouldn't rule out an aid. A buddy of mine who runs a music teaching
studio with over 300 students wears one....you'd never know he had it.

Best,
Poly

Lord I sit here late at night reading these comments with my ears
ringing from a loud drummer. I record clients and get roped into
playing live. It's modern country abd,but the drummer plays like its a
rock n roll thing. At any rate get your mixes good. Flip L and R
around. Have a younger assistant help you if you can afford it. Eq
things towards your better ears side then pan them. My left ear is
lower in hearing high end . So if I pan a bright hi hat or a tamborine
to the left I might flip L and R to see if it's too loud. getting
old is a bitch then we die. GT

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Oct 29, 1:00*am, glenn taylor wrote:
[...]

Also try listening from the next room. That sometimes shows up
problems in a mix instantly!

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ is offline

On Oct 29, 1:15*am, PStamler wrote:
[...]

That's not a bad idea. Thanks
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ is offline

[...]

Glen- are you still in CO? I changed my facebook to cut down on
confusion. Drop me a note through the reply author or drop a note on
https://www.facebook.com/danny.taddei
and I'll get back to you there.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
glenn taylor glenn taylor is offline

On Oct 29, 11:13*am, "Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~"
wrote:
[...]

+1 on mixing from a different room. Everytime I don't get up and
listen from a distance the mix suffers. GT
Posted to rec.audio.pro
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

On Oct 28, 12:30*pm, "Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~"
wrote:
From my days of louder music, I have a right ear that hears much lower
volume then my left ear........ I guess having my keyboard up near
that drummers snare drum for all those years kind of beat on one ear
more then the other.

Anyway, these days is it really an issue for mixing. I find that I
have to move off center to really get a true stereo balance in my head
- that will work for other people. Does anyone else have that dead ear
and if so what do you do about it? I've tried everything.

_______
I'm also weak on the right. I read it somewhere that about 55% of
folks hear better on the left. Combine that with the fact that most
headphones are wired on the left(meaning more resistance to the right
ear cup). When doing projects in pro tools or audacity I always tend
to mix the right channel about 1/2 to 1dB louder to compensate for the
above.

-ChrisCoaster

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Cressey Mike Cressey is offline

Since I use my ears for a living (I'm a piano tuner as well as a musician),
I have my ears checked regularly. My hearing is perfect, which is amazing
since I played for many years in a progressive rock band with the drummer
always to my left.
Guess I was lucky.

You're lucky because you don't do it everyday. A "quiet" band is
usually at least 100 dB which will cause damage in ~30 minutes. I am
surprised you haven't lost a light of the high-end, whcih probably
wouldn't affect your piano tuning. It's good that you get your ears
checked.

Mike

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ is offline

On Oct 30, 10:12*pm, ChrisCoaster wrote:
On Oct 28, 12:30*pm, "Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) wrote:
From my days of louder music, I have a right ear that hears much lower
[...]

I know a lot of people have one bigger foot - I never knew about the
ears.

Actually though, I blame a lot of the lost to a band but reality is
that I had several firecrackers go off next to my right ear when I was
a kid and was attempting to throw them. (hey guys watch this). Oh
well, I was a kid.