Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ian Molton Ian Molton is offline

Default Quad ESL 57

I've come into the posession of a pair of Quad57 (I think)
Electriostatic speakers and a Quad303 amp and PSU, complete with
preamps.

I tried powering up the speakers and it looks like I have one damaged
one, and one dead one. Having pulled the cover, I can see two bass
panels, a treble, and a pair of transformers - one mains / HV and the
other I presume to step up the audio signal.

The dead speaker simply does not power up.

The working one produced reasonably clean sounding audio, but its got a
hole in at least one bass driver.

My questions a

1) The dead one: Why? whats the light connected to?
2) What upgrades can be done, and how can I tell what upgrades need to
be done (protection boards, etc.)
2a) Since I have a dead one, how easy will it be to get matching parts?
or should I replace the transformers on both?
3) Are there any worthwhile modifications to the frame / casing?
4) What materials do I need to get? it seems that thickness and
conductivity are particularly important...
5) is there a REALLY GOOD guide on how to get this done? Much of what I
can find is 'half info' with no sources or references, and the rest is
people offering refurb services which are *not* cheap and /may/ be high
in black magic content.

Help welcome - feel free to copy my email address on reply!

-Ian