Posted to rec.audio.opinion
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

Default First Lady Omarosa

First Lady Omarosa

"One of the zanier con jobs that Barack Obama got away with is

positioning Michelle Obama as the epitome of unambitious maternal
femininity rather than as the second coming of Hillary Clinton. Here's an
October 5 Lynn Sweet blog item from the Chicago Sun-Times that I (and
everybody else) totally missed, which contains an excerpt from the
upcoming biography of Michelle Obama, "Michelle," by Washington Post
Magazine writer Liza Mundy. It tells of her few years at the high-paying
Sidley Austin corporate law firm, where she was employed before quitting
to work as a fixer for the Daley Machine.

"But Michelle could also frustrate her supervisors. Quincy White, the
partner who helped recruit Michelle and who headed the marketing group,
remembers finding her a challenge to manage. White, who is now retired
from the firm, says he gave her the most interesting work he could find,
in part because he wanted to see her advance, but also because she seemed
perennially dissatisfied.

She was, White recalls, "quite possibly the most ambitious associate
that I've ever seen." She wanted significant responsibility right away and
was not afraid to object if she wasn't getting what she felt she deserved,
he says.

At big firms, much of the work that falls to young associates involves
detail and tedium. There were all sorts of arcane but important rules about
what could and could not be said or done in product advertisements, and in
the marketing group, all the associates, not just the new ones, reviewed
scripts for TV commercials to make sure they conformed. As far as
associate work goes, it could have been worse -- "Advertising is a little
sexier than spending a full year reading depositions in an antitrust law
suit or reviewing documents for a big merger," says White -- but it was
monotonous and relatively low-level.

Too monotonous for Michelle, who, White says, complained that the work
he gave her was unsatisfactory. He says he gave her the Coors beer ads,
which he considered one of the more glamorous assignments they had. Even
then, he says, "she at one point went over my head and complained [to
human resources] that I wasn't giving her enough interesting stuff, and
the person came down to my office and said, 'Basically she's complaining
that she's being treated like she's a second-year associate,' and we
agreed that she was a second-year associate. I had eight or nine other
associates, and I couldn't start treating one of them a lot better."

White says he talked to Michelle about her expectations, but the
problem could not be resolved because the work was what it was. He is not
sure any work he had would have satisfied her. "I couldn't give her
something that would meet her sense of ambition to change the world."

"Not many people went over my head," says White. It was an unusual
move for a young associate to make, and he believes it was consistent with
her personality. She "wanted something that pushed her harder. Waiting five
to seven years to make partner was a good career move for me but not for
[her]. There are too many other opportunities out there that mature faster
than that."

Abner Mikva, a former congressman and federal judge who is close to
the Obamas and was an early mentor to Barack, finds that account of
Michelle's 20-something impatience amusing. "It doesn't surprise me at
all," he says."

So, it turns out that Michelle is exactly how you expected her to be. The
Power of Stereotypes is validated once again!

By the way, it apparently took Michelle two tries to pass the easy
Illinois Bar Exam (81% pass rate), because she wasn't admitted to the
Illinois Bar until almost a year after her graduation from Harvard Law
School, while her smart husband was admitted to the Illinois Bar only a
half year after graduation."

http://isteve.blogspot.com/2008/11/f...y-omarosa.html

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Technomarine Lady Sport Watch LS17 [email protected] Vacuum Tubes 0 April 7th 08 04:28 AM
thai lady [email protected] Pro Audio 0 March 31st 06 03:19 AM
'48 hours" shows lady di dying in car wreck Bruce J. Richman Audio Opinions 0 April 23rd 04 06:59 AM