Posted to rec.audio.pro
adam adam is offline

Default Telephone Vocal FX and EQ Settings

Hey. I have a quick question on setting the graphic equalizer to create the
telephone vocal effect. I have a 31 band graphic EQ that I use to eliminate
feedback. I also have a old MXR 10 band pedal that i'm gonna use for the
effect. Am I supposed to just put the 500 and 1k up to 12db and all the
others to -12db, or am i supposed to put all the sliders inbetween 500 and
1k up to 12db and the rest to -12db?
Thanks,
-Adam

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising Roy W. Rising is offline

"Adam" wrote:
Hey. I have a quick question on setting the graphic equalizer to create
the telephone vocal effect. I have a 31 band graphic EQ that I use to
eliminate feedback. I also have a old MXR 10 band pedal that i'm gonna
use for the effect. Am I supposed to just put the 500 and 1k up to 12db
and all the others to -12db, or am i supposed to put all the sliders
inbetween 500 and 1k up to 12db and the rest to -12db?
Thanks,
-Adam

The pass band should be about 500-3000 Hz. So you want everything in that
range up, everything outside that range down. The 31-band GEQ will give
you a much better result than the 10-band pedal. However, once you hear
the GEQ, compare it with the pedal and try to find the sound you seek.

--
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Michael R. Kesti Michael R. Kesti is offline

Adam wrote:

Hey. I have a quick question on setting the graphic equalizer to create the
telephone vocal effect. I have a 31 band graphic EQ that I use to eliminate
feedback. I also have a old MXR 10 band pedal that i'm gonna use for the
effect. Am I supposed to just put the 500 and 1k up to 12db and all the
others to -12db, or am i supposed to put all the sliders inbetween 500 and
1k up to 12db and the rest to -12db?

What you're supposed to do is try various settings while using your ears to
determine whether you have achieved the desired effect. Be open to the idea
that you may not be able to exactly achieve the desired effect with the gear
you propose using.

Thanks,

No problem.

| two, one and one make one."
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Agent 86 Agent 86 is offline

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 19:10:20 -0500, Adam wrote:

Hey. I have a quick question on setting the graphic equalizer to create
the telephone vocal effect. I have a 31 band graphic EQ that I use to
eliminate feedback. I also have a old MXR 10 band pedal that i'm gonna use
for the effect. Am I supposed to just put the 500 and 1k up to 12db and
all the others to -12db, or am i supposed to put all the sliders inbetween
500 and 1k up to 12db and the rest to -12db?
Thanks,
-Adam

Do whichever sounds best. It should take less time to try it out than it
took to ask the question.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Adam wrote:
Hey. I have a quick question on setting the graphic equalizer to create the
telephone vocal effect. I have a 31 band graphic EQ that I use to eliminate
feedback. I also have a old MXR 10 band pedal that i'm gonna use for the
effect. Am I supposed to just put the 500 and 1k up to 12db and all the
others to -12db, or am i supposed to put all the sliders inbetween 500 and
1k up to 12db and the rest to -12db?

Try it and see. Use your ears. If you pull everything between 500 and 4K
up, and pull everything back, you'll get lots of ripple because of the
interaction between the filters. But that is just fine... it's not supposed
to sound good, it's supposed to sound like a telephone. Throw on a tape
of a vocal and move the controls until you get a sense of how it sounds.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Deputy Dumbya Dawg Deputy Dumbya Dawg is offline

Maybe even put the signal into the 10 band and roll off
the lows and highs with an inverted smiley then into
the 31 to peak the phone range and dump the rest while
listening to the result in your mix.

peace
dawg

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

On Mar 9, 7:22 am, "Deputy Dumbya Dawg"
wrote:
Maybe even put the signal into the 10 band and roll off
the lows and highs with an inverted smiley then into
the 31 to peak the phone range and dump the rest while
listening to the result in your mix.

peace
dawg

in addition to all that,,, you may want to boost the highs a lot, hard
clip the result, then roll off the highs... this is what the audio
processing in many communications devices do... i.e. pre-emphasis,
modulation limiting in the Tx , de-emphasis in the Rx.

the high freq consonant sounds are replaced by low freq distortion, so
while you don't actually hear the high frequencies, you do get the
audible clues that they were there.

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 8, 7:10 pm, "Adam" wrote:

Am I supposed to just put the 500 and 1k up to 12db and all the
others to -12db, or am i supposed to put all the sliders inbetween 500 and
1k up to 12db and the rest to -12db?

Put the sliders so it sounds like a telephone, or at least as close as
you can get it with your limited resources. How much simpler can it
be?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mogens V. Mogens V. is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Adam wrote:

Hey. I have a quick question on setting the graphic equalizer to create the
telephone vocal effect. I have a 31 band graphic EQ that I use to eliminate
feedback. I also have a old MXR 10 band pedal that i'm gonna use for the
effect. Am I supposed to just put the 500 and 1k up to 12db and all the
others to -12db, or am i supposed to put all the sliders inbetween 500 and
1k up to 12db and the rest to -12db?

Try it and see. Use your ears. If you pull everything between 500 and 4K
up, and pull everything back, you'll get lots of ripple because of the
interaction between the filters. But that is just fine... it's not supposed
to sound good, it's supposed to sound like a telephone. Throw on a tape
of a vocal and move the controls until you get a sense of how it sounds.
--scott

Compression may also help. Phones need not really sound compressed, but
it seems to me compression is often used to mimick perception of fones.
My guess would be compressing after bandpassing.

--
Kind regards,
Mogens V.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mogens V. Mogens V. is offline

wrote:

Maybe even put the signal into the 10 band and roll off
the lows and highs with an inverted smiley then into
the 31 to peak the phone range and dump the rest while
listening to the result in your mix.

peace
dawg

in addition to all that,,, you may want to boost the highs a lot, hard
clip the result, then roll off the highs... this is what the audio
processing in many communications devices do... i.e. pre-emphasis,
modulation limiting in the Tx , de-emphasis in the Rx.

the high freq consonant sounds are replaced by low freq distortion, so
while you don't actually hear the high frequencies, you do get the
audible clues that they were there.

Never know where unexpected ideas may come from
This just gave me an idea for a guitar sound. I don't have free gear at
hand for it right now, so it'll have to wait a bit.

Danko!

--
Kind regards,
Mogens V.

telephone vocal effect adam Pro Audio 13 February 5th 07 08:34 PM
where could I find appropriate Rnc 1773 vocal knob settings?. bj Pro Audio 13 January 12th 05 02:30 PM
Voicemaster Pro Settings - Male Vocal? Chris Forsyth Pro Audio 0 October 24th 04 03:33 AM
Vocal Elimination for Mono and Stereo [was Formant Synthesis and Vocal Elimination] Radium Tech 2 November 20th 03 02:56 AM