Posted to rec.audio.pro
gregfrey gregfrey is offline

Default Audio snake recommendation needed

I need to run an audio snake to and from a 24 track 2" machine, in and
out of Pro Tools. 25 feet long with XLR connectors on both ends. Any
recommendations for which company to use? Whirlwind, Rapco? Has anyone
had experience with Altona snakes? They seem well made and reasonably
priced. I cannot afford Monster cable.

Thanks for any assistance,

Greg Frey

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

gregfrey wrote:
I need to run an audio snake to and from a 24 track 2" machine, in and
out of Pro Tools. 25 feet long with XLR connectors on both ends. Any
recommendations for which company to use? Whirlwind, Rapco? Has anyone
had experience with Altona snakes? They seem well made and reasonably
priced. I cannot afford Monster cable.

Is this for permanent in-wall installation, or in a studio where it's never
going to be moved, or for a field application?

Whirlwind, Rapco, and Gepco all do fine work, and Markertek will make you
a snake from Canare snake cable for a reasonable price too. The problem
is that the cable you want to select depends on the kind of handling that
it's going to take.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 8, 1:40 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
gregfrey wrote:
I need to run an audio snake to and from a 24 track 2" machine, in and
out of Pro Tools. 25 feet long with XLR connectors on both ends. Any
recommendations for which company to use? Whirlwind, Rapco? Has anyone
had experience with Altona snakes? They seem well made and reasonably
priced. I cannot afford Monster cable.

Is this for permanent in-wall installation, or in a studio where it's never
going to be moved, or for a field application?

Whirlwind, Rapco, and Gepco all do fine work, and Markertek will make you
a snake from Canare snake cable for a reasonable price too. The problem
is that the cable you want to select depends on the kind of handling that
it's going to take.

Scott

Thanks for the reply. It's not for an in wall installation. It's for a
temporary farmhouse studio setup. The snake won't be moved while we're
working but it will need to be wrapped up in about 6 months and stored
away until the next time we decide to do some recordings.

I'll check into the pricing on your suggestions. The Markertek idea
sounds appealing.

best

Greg

Posted to rec.audio.pro

gregfrey wrote:

Thanks for the reply. It's not for an in wall installation. It's for a
temporary farmhouse studio setup. The snake won't be moved while we're
working but it will need to be wrapped up in about 6 months and stored
away until the next time we decide to do some recordings.

Skip the foil shield and get a cable with all-braid shields. You really
don't need an overall shield either for that application, so if you can
save some money by using a snake without one, go ahead.

I don't have a Gepco catalogue here, but what I am thinking would be
something like Belden 1902A or equivalent. The shield won't fail when
you're wrapping and unwrapping it. And you probably don't want a stage box
either, just pigtails.

I'll check into the pricing on your suggestions. The Markertek idea
sounds appealing.

Markertek and Gepco both do custom cables for very reasonable prices.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 8, 2:03 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
gregfrey wrote:

[...]

Thanks! Do you have a recommendation for the connectors? Neutrik?
Switchcraft? Are they all basically equal in quality?

best

Greg

Posted to rec.audio.pro

gregfrey wrote:

Thanks! Do you have a recommendation for the connectors? Neutrik?
Switchcraft? Are they all basically equal in quality?

If you get Neutrik, Switchcraft, or Amphenols, you'll be happy. Which of
those three are the best is a religious debate. The Whirlwind house brand
is fine too.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Walt Walt is offline

gregfrey wrote:

Thanks! Do you have a recommendation for the connectors? Neutrik?
Switchcraft? Are they all basically equal in quality?

If you get Neutrik, Switchcraft, or Amphenols, you'll be happy. Which of
those three are the best is a religious debate. The Whirlwind house brand
is fine too.

The biggest difference you're going to see among different
suppliers/cable stock/connectors is durability. You are in what I'd
call a 'light duty' situation, so almost anything should be fine as long
as you stay away from the really cheapo off-brand stuff.

//Walt
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising Roy W. Rising is offline

"gregfrey" wrote:

Thanks! Do you have a recommendation for the connectors? Neutrik?
Switchcraft? Are they all basically equal in quality?

best

Greg

Switchcraft connectors are fine, I don't think they make the gold ones any
longer. Neutrik has more than one line of XLR, some are more roadworthy at
greater cost. Gold flashed contacts are nice but not always necessary. I
suggest you avoid the "displacement" types, solder avoids "atmospheric
incursion" that eventually might change the connections.

--
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 8, 3:39 pm, Roy W. Rising wrote:
"gregfrey" wrote:

Thanks! Do you have a recommendation for the connectors? Neutrik?
Switchcraft? Are they all basically equal in quality?

best

Greg

Switchcraft connectors are fine, I don't think they make the gold ones any
longer. Neutrik has more than one line of XLR, some are more roadworthy at
greater cost. Gold flashed contacts are nice but not always necessary. I
suggest you avoid the "displacement" types, solder avoids "atmospheric
incursion" that eventually might change the connections.

--
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"

Argg, help! The producer can't wait the two weeks for a custom snake
to be made. I need to purchase something off the shelf today. I refuse
to buy Hosa. Since I'm going 24 track to 24 track, I will need to
purchase 6, 8 channel snakes. Here are links to two different
suppliers I've found:

http://store.haveinc.com/Ebus30/Part...cturer=Flexygy

http://www.lenexpo-electronics.com/8...E-p-16444.html

The Haveninc link I found through the Digidesign site. Their cables
have Neutrik connectors but are only 24 gauge. The Lenexpo stuff is
made in China (I called them yesterday) and their wire is 18 gauge
with no-name connectors.

Any recommendations or other ideas?

best

Greg

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Walt Walt is offline

gregfrey wrote:

Argg, help! The producer can't wait the two weeks for a custom snake
to be made. I need to purchase something off the shelf today. I refuse
to buy Hosa. Since I'm going 24 track to 24 track, I will need to
purchase 6, 8 channel snakes. Here are links to two different
suppliers I've found:

http://store.haveinc.com/Ebus30/Part...cturer=Flexygy

http://www.lenexpo-electronics.com/8...E-p-16444.html

The Haveninc link I found through the Digidesign site. Their cables
have Neutrik connectors but are only 24 gauge. The Lenexpo stuff is
made in China (I called them yesterday) and their wire is 18 gauge
with no-name connectors.

Why is the gauge of the conductors important to you? This isn't speaker
wire or power cables. Lot's of high quality snakes out there with 24
gauge conductors.

Best to stick with name brand connectors.

Any recommendations or other ideas?

Call Proco? Full Compass?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

gregfrey wrote:

Argg, help! The producer can't wait the two weeks for a custom snake
to be made. I need to purchase something off the shelf today. I refuse
to buy Hosa. Since I'm going 24 track to 24 track, I will need to
purchase 6, 8 channel snakes. Here are links to two different
suppliers I've found:

Two weeks? Gepco usually ships within a day or two. 800-966-0069.
Make sure to specify you just want XLR pigtails on each end and no
stage box, because it makes it faster to build.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 9, 10:24 am, "gregfrey" wrote:

Argg, help! The producer can't wait the two weeks for a custom snake
to be made. I need to purchase something off the shelf today. I refuse
to buy Hosa.

There's no reason not to buy Hosa. They work fine. 20 years ago they
had a tendency to fail but they have their act together. Internet
rumors die hard.

The Haveninc link I found through the Digidesign site. Their cables
have Neutrik connectors but are only 24 gauge. The Lenexpo stuff is
made in China (I called them yesterday) and their wire is 18 gauge
with no-name connectors.

There's nothing wrong with 24 gauge wire unless you're going to be
bashing it around. Get the ones with the Neutrik connectors. They have
a better chance of fitting whatever you're connecting them to.

But if you're in such a rush to get these cables, how sure are you
that everything else is going to work?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 9, 12:07 pm, "Mike Rivers" wrote:
[...]

Thanks everyone. I've ordered the snakes form Gepco. They were great
to deal with.

Best

Greg