Posted to rec.audio.pro
e.maynard e.maynard is offline

Default AES vs. TDIF

Hi. Two questions:

1. I own and love my Radar II, and up till now I transfer files via TDIF
and a MOTU 2408. It works well enough. I'm just thinking about picking
up a 24 I/O AES card for the Radar and was wondering if there is an
advantage to transferring this way? I believe AES/EBU carries it's own
clocking right? Is one format a better choice for transfers back & forth?

2. Who makes an AES/EBU 24 I/O for mac. PCI or firewire? Any
recommendations?

Many Thanks,
Erik
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

e.maynard wrote:

1. I own and love my Radar II, and up till now I transfer files via TDIF
and a MOTU 2408. It works well enough. I'm just thinking about picking
up a 24 I/O AES card for the Radar and was wondering if there is an
advantage to transferring this way? I believe AES/EBU carries it's own
clocking right? Is one format a better choice for transfers back & forth?

AES/EBU carries two channels. TDIF carries eight. If you need to carry two
channels, use AES/EBU or S-PDIF. If you need to carry more, use TDIF,
Lightpipe, or MADI.

Both AES/EBU and TDIF carry clocks. If you want to run a bunch of parallel
AES/EBU lines you can do it, but it's a pain in the neck and you need to
declare one line the master clock or provide external clocking.

2. Who makes an AES/EBU 24 I/O for mac. PCI or firewire? Any
recommendations?

I don't know, but if you need AES/EBU, you can buy a box from RME that
will split your TDIF signal into multiple AES/EBU lines.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Romeo Rondeau Romeo Rondeau is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
e.maynard wrote:
1. I own and love my Radar II, and up till now I transfer files via TDIF
and a MOTU 2408. It works well enough. I'm just thinking about picking
up a 24 I/O AES card for the Radar and was wondering if there is an
advantage to transferring this way? I believe AES/EBU carries it's own
clocking right? Is one format a better choice for transfers back & forth?

AES/EBU carries two channels. TDIF carries eight. If you need to carry two
channels, use AES/EBU or S-PDIF. If you need to carry more, use TDIF,
Lightpipe, or MADI.

TDIF is nothing but 4 AES pairs with a common clock source anyway.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

e.maynard wrote:
Hi. Two questions:

1. I own and love my Radar II, and up till now I transfer files via
TDIF and a MOTU 2408. It works well enough.

Well enough ? It there some deficiency - do you suspect you are getting
errors due to the interfaces and cabling ?

I'm just thinking about
picking up a 24 I/O AES card for the Radar and was wondering if there
is an advantage to transferring this way?

No, unless you think of more cables as an advantage. Distance maybe.

I believe AES/EBU carries
it's own clocking right? Is one format a better choice for transfers
back & forth?

TDIF has a common clock. If your channels are drifting then you have a much
bigger problen than the interface type.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Romeo Rondeau wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
e.maynard wrote:
1. I own and love my Radar II, and up till now I transfer files via TDIF
and a MOTU 2408. It works well enough. I'm just thinking about picking
up a 24 I/O AES card for the Radar and was wondering if there is an
advantage to transferring this way? I believe AES/EBU carries it's own
clocking right? Is one format a better choice for transfers back & forth?

AES/EBU carries two channels. TDIF carries eight. If you need to carry two
channels, use AES/EBU or S-PDIF. If you need to carry more, use TDIF,
Lightpipe, or MADI.

TDIF is nothing but 4 AES pairs with a common clock source anyway.

Pretty much, yeah. But breaking those pairs out can be a pain.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John L Rice John L Rice is offline

"e.maynard" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hi. Two questions:

1. I own and love my Radar II, and up till now I transfer files via TDIF
and a MOTU 2408. It works well enough. I'm just thinking about picking up
a 24 I/O AES card for the Radar and was wondering if there is an advantage
to transferring this way? I believe AES/EBU carries it's own clocking
right? Is one format a better choice for transfers back & forth?

2. Who makes an AES/EBU 24 I/O for mac. PCI or firewire? Any
recommendations?

Many Thanks,
Erik

Sounds like you've got a stable working system so there is no need to change
anything. Of course, that never stopped me before! ;-)

I can't think of any 24 channel card either. I have a Lynx AES-16 card that
I would highly recommend but of course you'd need two of them. RME makes a
similar item too (don't know if they support Mac though)

And most of the firewire boxes come with converters.

--
John L Rice
www.DeliriumFix.com