Posted to rec.audio.tech
hifihead hifihead is offline

Default nad 5440 muting transistors.

Has any body done this on the 5440? Would be ever so grateful if
someone could tell me which ones are the muting transistors.
Thus far I've failed to get hold of a circuit diagram.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

"hifihead" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has any body done this on the 5440?

**Done what?

Would be ever so grateful if
someone could tell me which ones are the muting transistors.
Thus far I've failed to get hold of a circuit diagram.

**Q205, Q206, Q207, Q208, Q305, Q306. All controlled by IC105.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tech
hifihead hifihead is offline

Trevor Wilson wrote:
"hifihead" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has any body done this on the 5440?

**Done what?

Would be ever so grateful if
someone could tell me which ones are the muting transistors.
Thus far I've failed to get hold of a circuit diagram.

**Q205, Q206, Q207, Q208, Q305, Q306. All controlled by IC105.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Thanks ever so much for that info. So basically I can safely remove
those 6 transistors?
I was expecting there to be only 4.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

"hifihead" wrote in message
ups.com...

Trevor Wilson wrote:
"hifihead" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has any body done this on the 5440?

**Done what?

Would be ever so grateful if
someone could tell me which ones are the muting transistors.
Thus far I've failed to get hold of a circuit diagram.

**Q205, Q206, Q207, Q208, Q305, Q306. All controlled by IC105.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Thanks ever so much for that info. So basically I can safely remove
those 6 transistors?

**Depends what you want to do. If you want to play it through an audio
system, then no. The muting transistors are there (partly) to prevent nasty
noises from damaging speakers. You should arrange an alternate muting
system.

I was expecting there to be only 4.

**Oops. Don't forget Q307 and 308 too.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tech
hifihead hifihead is offline

Trevor Wilson wrote:
"hifihead" wrote in message
ups.com...

Trevor Wilson wrote:
"hifihead" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Have removed the muting transistors from my rotel rcd 965bx and only results in a fairly low level "pop" on power down. I'm led to believe the inclusion of these transistors results in some HF rolloff. If I religiously power the amp off prior to powering down the cd player, will this help?

Thanks, Martin.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

"hifihead" wrote in message
oups.com...

Trevor Wilson wrote:
"hifihead" wrote in message
ups.com...

Trevor Wilson wrote:
"hifihead" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

**Yep. I'd still suggest the inclusion of an alternate muting system.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tech
hifihead hifihead is offline

Trevor Wilson wrote:
"hifihead" wrote in message
oups.com...

Trevor Wilson wrote:
"hifihead" wrote in message
ups.com...

Trevor Wilson wrote:
"hifihead" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'm very grateful for your advice Trevor, so thank you. A colleauge of
mine once told me that you can't spend 'thank yous' so maybe one day I
can be of assistance in return.
Martin.