Thomas Bishop

Default TLM193

I just bought this mic and am wondering about its condition. It sounds good
to me, but I don't have a new one to compare it to to know if there is
indeed damage done to it. The grill is a little loose, but I'm sure that's
easily fixable. Should I send this to Neumann to get checked out? Maybe
someone here would like to check it out for me? : )

Thomas

Thomas,
I never heard back from the seller when I asked about the condition and
what he knew about it. However, if it sounds good, don't worry about
it. I don't think you want to spend any more on it if you don't have
to!

Mike

John L Rice

hi Thomas,

What part of the world are you in? I'm in the greater Seattle/Tacoma USA
area and I own 2 TLM193's that I purchased used.
--
John L Rice

"Thomas Bishop" wrote in message
m...
I just bought this mic and am wondering about its condition. It sounds
good to me, but I don't have a new one to compare it to to know if there
is indeed damage done to it. The grill is a little loose, but I'm sure
that's easily fixable. Should I send this to Neumann to get checked out?
Maybe someone here would like to check it out for me? : )

Thomas

Thomas Bishop

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
It sounds just fine here.

Really, what kind of answer did you expect? Was it so cheap that you
can afford an overhaul if it needs one?

I didn't expect any kind of answer, really. I paid $500 for it, and
although I don't know how much it would be to refurbish it, I was willing to
take that chance. It seems to sound very clear and neutral, not hyped in
the high end, and that's what I've read that it's supposed to sound like.
So I guess if it sounds good, it is good.

Thomas Bishop

"John L Rice" wrote in message
What part of the world are you in? I'm in the greater Seattle/Tacoma USA
area and I own 2 TLM193's that I purchased used.

I'm about 60 miles northwest of Memphis.

John L Rice

"John L Rice" wrote in message
What part of the world are you in? I'm in the greater Seattle/Tacoma USA
area and I own 2 TLM193's that I purchased used.

I'm about 60 miles northwest of Memphis.

Ahh, too far away to get together and compare! ;-)

There must be someone in Memphis that has a TLM193 to compare to. Try
asking over at www.gearslutz.com/.

Best of luck!

John L Rice

John L Rice

"Thomas Bishop" wrote in message
m...
"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
It sounds just fine here.

Really, what kind of answer did you expect? Was it so cheap that you
can afford an overhaul if it needs one?

I didn't expect any kind of answer, really. I paid $500 for it, and
although I don't know how much it would be to refurbish it, I was willing
to take that chance. It seems to sound very clear and neutral, not hyped
in the high end, and that's what I've read that it's supposed to sound
like. So I guess if it sounds good, it is good.

It probably is OK. What you describe is what mine sound like to me. It
can't hurt to talk to Neumann to see how much a refurbish job would cost. I
paid around $700 each for my TLM193's so even if you spend $200 to $300 to
refurb yours you'll still be in the same ball park of a good priced for a
used one ( I think list is $1599 or so these days )

Or, instead of sending it to Neumann, you could try one of the respected
third parties that do mic restorations and upgrades. Might be kind of fun.
I read once that someone thought the TLM193's got better after a certain
serial number but I can't remember what supposedly changed or what the
serial number cutoff is. I do remember both of mine have serial numbers
prior to this claimed change.

--
John L Rice

Ty Ford

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:01:35 -0400, John L Rice wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I traded my RCA 44B for a U 89 a few years back. I sent the U 89 to Neumann
in CT. They found a few things and sent it back. Don't remember the cost, but
it wasn't outrageous and it works like a charm.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

David Satz

John, the electronics of the TLM 193 were changed starting with serial
number 5825; microphones after that point have about 4-1/4 dB greater
sensitivity. The newer microphones draw 3 mA rather while the older
ones drew 2.4 mA. All other specifications and characteristics remain
unchanged.

Neumann USA (www.neumannusa.com) generally charges a $70 estimate fee
to check out a microphone; if repairs are needed, the $70 fee is then
waived. A loose grille is probably a simple mechanical issue. The
housing, by the way, accounts for almost 3/4 the weight of the TLM
193--the entire assembly of capsule, PC board and XLR connector weighs
only 1.5 ounces!

--best regards

John L Rice

"David Satz" wrote in message
oups.com...
John, the electronics of the TLM 193 were changed starting with serial
number 5825; microphones after that point have about 4-1/4 dB greater
sensitivity. The newer microphones draw 3 mA rather while the older
ones drew 2.4 mA. All other specifications and characteristics remain
unchanged.

Neumann USA (www.neumannusa.com) generally charges a $70 estimate fee
to check out a microphone; if repairs are needed, the $70 fee is then
waived. A loose grille is probably a simple mechanical issue. The
housing, by the way, accounts for almost 3/4 the weight of the TLM
193--the entire assembly of capsule, PC board and XLR connector weighs
only 1.5 ounces!

--best regards

Thanks for the info David!

--