Default which audio interface supports Windows hibernate mode, well?

I use Echo gina2496.
when my Os(window xp or 2000) goes into hibernate mode. and awaken. the
horrible bluescreen
appears and my computer downed
I should change my audio interface.
which audio interface supports Windows hibernate mode, well?

hibernate mode save electcricity ,therefore save money
thanks

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

wrote in message oups.com...

hibernate mode save electcricity,

Negligible.

therefore save money

No hibernate saves your work and your business.

No business = no money.

Logan Shaw

Julian wrote:
On 13 Jun 2005 23:36:35 -0700, wrote:

hibernate mode save electcricity ,therefore save money
thanks

Use no screensaver, turn off monitor and hard disks in power settings,
saves the same amount of money and doesn't make blue screens of death.

That will save some energy, but perhaps not as much as putting the
device into Stand By mode.

Going in and out of hibernate mode is quite a severe operation, since
it involves writing the contents of memory to disk and then totally
shutting off power, then restoring memory from disk after power is
restored. Importantly, I believe device drivers have to restore a
device to a running state after its power in effect been cut, but
without a full reboot. I'm pretty sure it's possible to write a
device driver that behaves just fine normally but has a fatal bug
that is exposed only when going into (or coming out of) hibernate
mode.

Anyway, the point is that Stand By mode is sort of similar to
Hibernate mode, but memory isn't dumped to hard disk, and power
isn't removed from the whole system. Still, it should save
more power than just having the hard disk spin down and the
monitor blank.

Doing a quick test, I have a 1.3 GHz Athlon machine running Windows XP
with 3 disk drives in it. I hooked it up to my "Kill-a-Watt" meter
(which measures how much power it is drawing from the 120V outlet) and
tested the power usage of the computer itself in a few scenarios:

running normally, but idle: 145W to 160W, but usually 150W
all hard disks spun down, display blanked: 124W
Stand By mode: 60W
Hibernate mode: 2-3W
totally "off": 2-3W
after I flip power supply's rocker switch to "0": 0W

So, it would seem that Stand By mode isn't nearly as good as off
or hibernate, but it's a lot better than enabling the hard disks
to spin down and so on. On the other hand, it's entirely possible
that the system may crash with Stand By mode as well...

- Logan

yes i already once removed the interface.
no audio interface, no bluescreen
my driver is latest 6.08
I hate beta driver like 6.11

but echo's driver is quite good . but does not support hibernate ....
but,I am using window2000 sp2

John O

running normally, but idle: 145W to 160W, but usually 150W
all hard disks spun down, display blanked: 124W
Stand By mode: 60W
Hibernate mode: 2-3W
totally "off": 2-3W
after I flip power supply's rocker switch to "0": 0W

That's a cool set of measurements, and tells us a lot. The only factor that
isn't accounted for here is the monitor power.

-John O

Arny Krueger

John O wrote:
running normally, but idle: 145W to 160W, but usually

150W
all hard disks spun down, display blanked: 124W
Stand By mode: 60W
Hibernate mode: 2-3W
totally "off": 2-3W

Hibernate = totally off.

after I flip power supply's rocker switch to "0": 0W

Now that's what I call *totally off*

That's a cool set of measurements, and tells us a lot. The

only
factor that isn't accounted for here is the monitor power.

-John O

Michael Wozniak

"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

hibernate mode save electcricity,

Negligible.

Not if you're operating on battery only, as in 'laptop'...

Mikey
Nova Music Productions

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Michael Wozniak" wrote in message nk.net...

"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

hibernate mode save electcricity,

Negligible.

Not if you're operating on battery only, as in 'laptop'...

Mikey
Nova Music Productions

There really is a large consumption savings, on any type. But if you're
at a point where 'hibernate' is an issue, why not simply save and shut
down as opposed to caching the memory and risking data loss?

DM

Logan Shaw

John O wrote:
running normally, but idle: 145W to 160W, but usually 150W
all hard disks spun down, display blanked: 124W
Stand By mode: 60W
Hibernate mode: 2-3W
totally "off": 2-3W
after I flip power supply's rocker switch to "0": 0W

That's a cool set of measurements, and tells us a lot. The only factor that
isn't accounted for here is the monitor power.

DPMS monitors can basically be in one of five states. The first
four are specified by DPMS:

1. on (there's a picture)
2. stand-by (electron gun not firing electrons at phosphors,
but the power supply is on)
3. suspend ((gun's?) power supply is off)
4. "off" (but ready to wake up).

And the fifth:

5. unplugged or turned off by a mechanical switch

In theory, these could range all over the map, but in practice
there is a huge gap between stand-by and suspend. In other words,
"on" and "stand-by" both use 90%-100% of the power, and "suspend",
"off", and unplugged use 10% or less of the maximum power.

Anyway, some tests. First, tests of an old (mid-1990's vintage)
MAG Innovision 21" CRT monitor:

on, regular desktop color, 1280x1024: 120W
on, but with the screen mostly full of white: 144W
on, but with the screen mostly full of black: 111W

on, regular desktop color, 800x600: 100W
on, 800x600, white screen: 125W
on, 800x600, black screen: 92W

after windows turns it "off" due to no user input:
drops to 76W, stabilizes there for ~5s,
then drops to 37W
(and monitor indicates "POWER SAVING SUSPEND"
on its offscreen LCD display)

after putting windows into "standby" mode:
same 76W, then 37W behavior as above

after putting windows into "hibernate" mode:
drops to 76W, but then down to 27W;
(still says "POWER SAVING SUSPEND")

after shutting windows down completely:
drops to 76W, then 27W

after I flip the rocker switch on the back of the computer:
still 27W

after I punch the mechanical power button on the monitor:
0W (finally)

Conclusions from that:

1. All you people who tell us hacker people we are weirdos for
having green or amber text on a black background? Well, now
you know that by using that so-called weird color combination,
we are actually saving the environment, so THERE!

2. The resolution makes a difference. This is a little surprising
since it's still the same area that's being lit up. Apparently
making the beam scan faster (even though it's the same strength?)
makes a difference.

3. This monitor's power-saving support SUCKS. I did a similar
test on a newer CRT monitor once, and it drops down to like 3-5W
in situations where the above monitor only drops to 27W. So,
this monitor is probably not representative of CRTs in real life.
It probably doesn't implement DPMS "off" mode and substitutes
"suspend" instead. (But, I only paid $25 for the thing, so
I guess I can't complain *too* much.)

4. Since I leave the computer this monitor is attached to off
most of the time, the difference between 27W and 0W is pretty
huge for me. I pay about $0.10/kW-hr, so this 27W difference
costs me something like $2.00 a month!

5. My Kill-a-Watt meter, which was I think $25 or so, just paid
for itself by detecting that 27W that I didn't know the monitor
was sucking down while it's not doing anything, assuming I
can get in the habit of hitting the power switch when I should.

And now, some more tests. This time on a new Samsung SyncMaster
213T hooked up with DVI. This monitor is 21" nominal size, but its
actual usable display area is actually more than 1" larger than the
21" CRT mentioned above.

on, regular desktop color, 1600x1200: 40W
on, with screen mostly white: 40W
on, with screen mostly black: 40W

800x600: 40W

after mac turns it "off" due to no user input: 1W

if i turn if "off" with the monitor's front panel button: 1W

Conclusions from that:

1. This LCD is using about the same amount of power at its peak
usage as the CRT is when it's in "POWER SAVING SUSPEND" mode.

2. If you want to save power and you use the computer a lot,
the difference between "on" for the LCD and CRT is *huge*.
At my $0.10/kW-hr rate (and having the monitor on about 12
hours a day, since I use it for work and personal stuff both),
I probably save $3 a month just by going to LCD. Sure, it's
going to take me a while to recoup my $600 investment, but
it's nice to know I am at least saving some money.

Um, I think that should be enough info to cover everything. If anyone
wants to know how much my refrigerator uses let me know... ;-)

- Logan
Chris Hornbeck

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 03:59:20 GMT, Logan Shaw
wrote:

Um, I think that should be enough info to cover everything. If anyone
wants to know how much my refrigerator uses let me know... ;-)

Great stuff; much thanks; just spared me a bunch of work, and more
inportantly a bunch of thinking. Very little of the latter still
available. Thanks!

Chris Hornbeck
"Foster Dulles went inside to order Princess Beatrice
a Molotov cocktail. When it was served, she drank it down
in one gulp" -JLG _Sympathy for the Devil_ 1969
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Logan Shaw" wrote in message...

Um, I think that should be enough info to cover everything. If anyone
wants to know how much my refrigerator uses let me know... ;-)

Yup... I'm printing a hard copy of that one for a keeper. Thanks!

DM

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Logan Shaw" wrote in message...

If anyone wants to know how much my refrigerator uses let
me know... ;-)

Doesn't that depend on how many children you have?

John O

Wow, great stuff. A couple comments...

2. The resolution makes a difference. This is a little surprising
since it's still the same area that's being lit up. Apparently
making the beam scan faster (even though it's the same strength?)
makes a difference.

Higher resolutions push the sweep circuits much harder, since there's so
much more data to put on the screen in the same raster scan. I bet the
refresh rate would have a major impact on power consumption as well.

3. This monitor's power-saving support SUCKS.

Mid-90's was the early days of "Energy Star," and it took a few years before
the manufacturers worked out the bugs.

Thanks again, this was very interesting. You clearly confirmed my guess that
monitor power savings is just as important as computer power modes. Where
did you get this wattmeter? I want one. :-)

-John O

Arny Krueger

David Morgan (MAMS) wrote:
"Michael Wozniak" wrote in

message

nk.net...

"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote in

message

wrote in message

oups.com...

hibernate mode save electcricity,

Negligible.

Not if you're operating on battery only, as in

'laptop'...

Mikey
Nova Music Productions

There really is a large consumption savings, on any type.

Hibernate has the same power consumption as turning the
machine off, at the cost of the rather intense but brief
power use for saving the contents of memory and registers on
the hard drive and then restoring it.

But if you're
at a point where 'hibernate' is an issue, why not simply

save and shut
down as opposed to caching the memory and risking data

loss?

It's work, it consumes time and it takes attention. Most
machines that hibernate or sleep don't do so per the user's
conscious intention at the time.

great information
thank u

Ben Bradley

On 13 Jun 2005 22:42:00 -0700, wrote:

I use Echo gina2496.
when my Os(window xp or 2000) goes into hibernate mode. and awaken. the
horrible bluescreen
appears and my computer downed
I should change my audio interface.
which audio interface supports Windows hibernate mode, well?

I have no idea, and I can only wonder if anyone has ever bothered
to research that question. I saw hibernation work on my Windows ME
machine when it was new, it seemed to work okay the first few times,
and I thought well, it's about time they did this. Then I recall
something that it flaked out on. Eventually it didn't work at all, and
I never bothered to figure it out or fix it. It just didn't seem worth
it.
The other responses (surely about newer versions of Windows) appear
to validate my feelings about this feature, that (while it's a good
idea and "ought to work") it's still not ready for prime time.

I recall recording something on a P200 with a cheap soundcard many
years ago, I had the Windows (NT4) display functions set to turn on
screensaver after 10 minutes, and for power savings to turn off
montior after a half-hour or so. I recorded several 45-minute sets,
but later found that the recording stopped, corresponding to the time
where the monitor got turned off. This was dissapointing, but at least
it wasn't a critical recording. I changed the settings to never turn
off anything.

Such interactions are uncommon (for most users), and don't cause
any loss of life or property (presuming no one uses a Windows machine
in such a critical environment), so it seems such things are unlikely
to be fixed unless it's a logged error and it's 'convenient' to fix it
for the next release. And there will probably always be higher
priority bugs to fix.
It's like the joke about telling the doctor "It hurts when I do
this" - often it really is better to just not do that.

-----
http://www.mindspring.com/~benbradley
Charles Tomaras

"Ben Bradley" wrote in message
On 13 Jun 2005 22:42:00 -0700, wrote:

I use Echo gina2496.
when my Os(window xp or 2000) goes into hibernate mode. and awaken. the
horrible bluescreen
appears and my computer downed
I should change my audio interface.
which audio interface supports Windows hibernate mode, well?

I regularly use the Sound Devices USBpre with hibernate enabled and I've had
no problems. It's just a two channel mic pre line interface which received
it's power via USB see:
http://www.sounddevices.com/products/usbpremaster.htm but it does show that
it's nothing inherently wrong with the hibernate mode. I would ask your
hardware manufacture for more information as to what it takes to
reinitialize the device when it's had it's power cut and restored or what
might be causing the BSOD's. I've found that standby and hibernation modes
in XP are pretty reliable. I did have occasional lockups on a Vaio laptop
coming out of hibernate but these were tracked down to video driver issues
that were not the fault of XP.

Charles Tomaras
Seattle, WA