Posted to rec.audio.pro
coreybenson coreybenson is offline

Default Yamaha 01v Fader Repair?

I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron, but I'm betting this one's
beyond me.

Picked up a used Yamha 01V mixing console for $350. Channel 11 has
issues. It will not allow any signal to pass until it hits about 80%
of the fader (as you fade to the top of the fader), then it comes in
full force. It also won't move (motorized) through the section where
it won't register.

When in the 20% of the fader that works, it's flawless... but... I'd
rather have all 12 faders working perfectly.

Any ideas what could cause this? Any thoughts on a fix? I have some
Caig Deoxit, which I was going to try tonight, but I'm fairly certain
it's not just a dirty fader... although I could be wrong, I suppose.

There is a local repair center that thinks they can replace it for
around $150. Seems a bit steep for a simple fader replacement,
especially if I could do it myself, but, that motorized portion makes
me think this could potentially be beyond my skill set/knowledge base.

Thanks, folks! Any input is greatly appreciated!

Corey
Posted to rec.audio.pro
George's Pro Sound Company George's Pro Sound Company is offline

"coreybenson" wrote in message
[...]

I am haveing the same issue with a fader on my year old LS/9
I am paying a shop to do it
George

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sebastian Zuendorf Sebastian Zuendorf is offline

"George's Pro Sound Company" wrote:

I am haveing the same issue with a fader on my year old LS/9
I am paying a shop to do it

The LS-9 used to have this problem on a regular basis. Try contacting
Yamaha for a replacement.

sebastian

--
F: Was ist ein Mathematiker?
A: Ein Gerät das Kaffee in Behauptungen umwandelt.

Die Partyband vom Niederrhein: http://www.stimmtso.net
Posted to rec.audio.pro

coreybenson wrote:

Picked up a used Yamha 01V mixing console for $350. Channel 11 has
issues. It will not allow any signal to pass until it hits about 80%
of the fader (as you fade to the top of the fader), then it comes in
full force. It also won't move (motorized) through the section where
it won't register.

Did you try a fader calibration?
Hold "enter" while switching the unit on, then it should calibrate the
faders.
If that does not work just replace the fader.

sebastian

--
"Kaffee? Du sagst Kaffee dazu? Das war hochraffiniertes
Industrie-Koffein in einer kandiszuckergepufferten Lösung."

Die Partyband vom Niederrhein: http://www.stimmtso.net
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Sebastian Zuendorf" wrote in message
"George's Pro Sound Company" wrote:

I am haveing the same issue with a fader on my year old LS/9
I am paying a shop to do it

The LS-9 used to have this problem on a regular basis. Try contacting
Yamaha for a replacement.

sebastian

thanks
I still would give it to a shop to do the repair though
I don't go inside gear very often and just want someone who's been there
before doing the work
George

--
F: Was ist ein Mathematiker?
A: Ein Gerät das Kaffee in Behauptungen umwandelt.

Die Partyband vom Niederrhein: http://www.stimmtso.net

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

coreybenson wrote:
I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron, but I'm betting this one's
beyond me.

Picked up a used Yamha 01V mixing console for $350. Channel 11 has
issues. It will not allow any signal to pass until it hits about 80%
of the fader (as you fade to the top of the fader), then it comes in
full force. It also won't move (motorized) through the section where
it won't register.

Bet a nickel that the fader element is cracked. At the bottom of the
scale, the slider is connected to ground. Above the crack, it's connected
to the element, but the element isn't connected to ground.

When in the 20% of the fader that works, it's flawless... but... I'd
rather have all 12 faders working perfectly.

Any ideas what could cause this? Any thoughts on a fix? I have some
Caig Deoxit, which I was going to try tonight, but I'm fairly certain
it's not just a dirty fader... although I could be wrong, I suppose.

Replace the fader. Depending on what kind it is, you might be able to
patch the element with conductive epoxy. I wouldn't trust that as a
long-term repair, though.

There is a local repair center that thinks they can replace it for
around $150. Seems a bit steep for a simple fader replacement,
especially if I could do it myself, but, that motorized portion makes
me think this could potentially be beyond my skill set/knowledge base.

Wait until you find out what parts cost. $150 is fair for something that
is going to require extensive disassembly and a fairly expensive part.
You could do it yourself and it probably won't even require soldering,
but you won't save all that much I bet.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sigurd Stenersen Sigurd Stenersen is offline

"coreybenson" skrev
Picked up a used Yamha 01V mixing console for $350. Channel 11 has
issues.

There is a local repair center that thinks they can replace [the fader]
for around $150.

You got a 01v for $350 what the heck are you worried about ?

Send it somewhere for repair, or settle for the 14 faders that work.

Sigurd
Posted to rec.audio.pro
coreybenson coreybenson is offline

On Oct 13, 4:19*pm, Sebastian Zuendorf
wrote:
Did you try a fader calibration?
Hold "enter" while switching the unit on, then it should calibrate the
faders.
If that does not work just replace the fader.

Sebastian: Yep, tried that. Should have mentioned it in my original
post. Sorry! She's dead! :-) - Well, mostly dead! LOL

Corey
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

coreybenson wrote:

Picked up a used Yamha 01V mixing console for $350. Channel 11 has
issues. It will not allow any signal to pass until it hits about 80%
of the fader (as you fade to the top of the fader), then it comes in
full force. It also won't move (motorized) through the section where
it won't register.

Any ideas what could cause this?

Well, er . . . it might be a bad fader, or it may be that the fader is
OK but whatever it controls is on the fritz.

Any thoughts on a fix? I have some
Caig Deoxit, which I was going to try tonight

I'd keep that stuff away from it. How good of a repair technician are
you? Can you replace it with a fader from another channel without
someone writing the service manual for you that Yamaha probably never
published? I'd do that. If it works, then your only problem will be to
find a replacement fader.

There is a local repair center that thinks they can replace it for
around $150. Seems a bit steep for a simple fader replacement,
especially if I could do it myself

Take it there. If you don't have that fader out by now, I'll bet you
can't do it yourself. And if it isn't the fader, maybe they'll find out
what it is and fix that.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Oct 13, 4:55*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
coreybenson wrote:
[...]

"C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Interesting diagnosis! Thanks for the info, Scott! I haven't looked
into the part yet. In my experience, getting parts out of Yamaha is
painful, time consuming and often fruitless, unless you're an
authorized repair center. It sure doesn't LOOK like it'd be hard to
get into, but...

I'll probably take a shot at it tonight. We'll see what's in there!

Corey

Posted to rec.audio.pro

coreybenson wrote:

Interesting diagnosis! Thanks for the info, Scott! I haven't looked
into the part yet. In my experience, getting parts out of Yamaha is
painful, time consuming and often fruitless, unless you're an
authorized repair center. It sure doesn't LOOK like it'd be hard to
get into, but...

In this case, it's not that hard to open it and replace a fader.

I'll probably take a shot at it tonight. We'll see what's in there!

Remove all the screws from the side where the rack rails sit as well
as all of the screws holding the top part in place.
IIRC that's 4 screws on the back and 4 in the front right below the
armrest.
Once these are removed, you can flip the top part over to the fader
side of the mixer by lifting the back end up.
Be careful, there's a ribbon cable in it that could be a little
short...

HTH

sebastian

--
F: Was ist ein Mathematiker?
A: Ein Gerät das Kaffee in Behauptungen umwandelt.

Die Partyband vom Niederrhein: http://www.stimmtso.net
Posted to rec.audio.pro
coreybenson coreybenson is offline

On Oct 13, 8:57 pm, Sebastian Zuendorf
wrote:
coreybenson wrote:
[...]

It will indeed! Sourcing the part is where the issue may come in. I
appreciate the instructions!

Corey
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Oct 13, 6:50 pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
coreybenson wrote:
Picked up a used Yamha 01V mixing console for $350. Channel 11 has
issues. It will not allow any signal to pass until it hits about 80%
of the fader (as you fade to the top of the fader), then it comes in
full force. It also won't move (motorized) through the section where
it won't register.
Any ideas what could cause this?

Well, er . . . it might be a bad fader, or it may be that the fader is
OK but whatever it controls is on the fritz.

Entirely possible... hence my post! :-)

Any thoughts on a fix? I have some
Caig Deoxit, which I was going to try tonight

I'd keep that stuff away from it. How good of a repair technician are
you? Can you replace it with a fader from another channel without
someone writing the service manual for you that Yamaha probably never
published? I'd do that. If it works, then your only problem will be to
find a replacement fader.

LOL - fair enough, Mike. Hadn't even thought about replacing it with a
different fader. Definitely worth a shot.

There is a local repair center that thinks they can replace it for
around $150. Seems a bit steep for a simple fader replacement,
especially if I could do it myself

Take it there. If you don't have that fader out by now, I'll bet you
can't do it yourself. And if it isn't the fader, maybe they'll find out
what it is and fix that.

I haven't had a chance to get into it, but... I understand your
thinking! LOL

I've replaced faders in consoles before. I can read a multimeter. The
US Navy taught me microsoldering, and I'm not afraid to get my hands
dirty. I am exceedingly busy, so I'll probably end up bringing it to a
shop, but from Sebastian's post, it sounds like it's not that
difficult to get into.

Thanks for the post, Mike (and everyone else who posted thoughts/
opinions). I'll post and let everyone know what I find once I'm done.

Corey
Posted to rec.audio.pro

coreybenson wrote:

It will indeed! Sourcing the part is where the issue may come in. I
appreciate the instructions!

Have a look at these:

http://members.chello.at/martin.heller/pultunten2.jpg
(01V open)

http://members.chello.at/martin.heller/platinenoben.jpg
(Fader-Assy.)

Contact Yamaha for spares, AFAIR a replacement fader for one of their
smaller desks is about 5,- EUR (not motorized though). I didn't have
to remove any faders when our 01V was flooded in june but I guess it's
a standard ALPS-type anyway.

sebastian

--
F: Was ist ein Mathematiker?
A: Ein Gerät das Kaffee in Behauptungen umwandelt.

Die Partyband vom Niederrhein: http://www.stimmtso.net
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

coreybenson wrote:
[...]

IIRC, the fader has 2 tracks, one for the audio and one to measure the
actual wiper position. As there is no audio over part of the audio track,
that track must be assumed to be broken. If the 01V doesn't manage to move
the motor at all during calibration, the feed to the motor or the motor is
probably broken as well. Someone may have trodden on or dropped something
on the fader, or it could be that the previous owner swapped a bad motor and
a bad fader track into a single channel..

Regardless, it is not that difficult to swap an entire fader assembly
between channels. That will tell you everything you need to know.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Glenn Dowdy[_2_] Glenn Dowdy[_2_] is offline

"coreybenson" wrote in message

Thanks, folks! Any input is greatly appreciated!

I've seen lots of good advice here, but you might want to ask over at the
01V Yahoo Group, too. Low traffic but with some knowledgable members.

Glenn D.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Oct 16, 3:38 am, "Glenn Dowdy" wrote:
"coreybenson" wrote in message

Thanks, folks! Any input is greatly appreciated!

I've seen lots of good advice here, but you might want to ask over at the
01V Yahoo Group, too. Low traffic but with some knowledgable members.

Glenn D.

A good suggestion, Glenn. I was a member of the 01V group some time
ago, when I was first considering getting one. Now that I've actually
taken the plunge, it makes sense to head back in.

You were right, by the way. They had EXCELLENT suggestions and
thoughts in regards to the bad fader. Looks like I can replace it
myself for between $35-50, if it's not the motor. Once I'm done
rewiring the headphone distribution in the studio I'll have a chance
to dig into it.

Corey
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] mlmtko@yahoo.com is offline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gesWW3E2Qr0
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gesWW3E2Qr0

** "This video has been removed by the user.. "

...... Phil