John Hayes

Default Why does my receiver keep cutting out?

hello-
just picked up a used sony receiver... once in a great while while the
audio will drop out for a few seconds then come right back on. i think
i saw an orange light come on. what gives? please e-mail me direct-
thanks-
john hayes

SAIL LOCO

Sounds like the protection circuit is coming on to protect the output
transistors. Make sure your speakers are 8 ohms and that they have no burned
out drivers. Also check your speaker connections to make sure there are no
shorts (wires touching)
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"
John A. Weeks III

In article , SAIL LOCO
wrote:

Sounds like the protection circuit is coming on to protect the output
transistors. Make sure your speakers are 8 ohms and that they have no burned
out drivers. Also check your speaker connections to make sure there are no
shorts (wires touching)

Beyond that, the protection circuit kicks in when it sees DC voltage
on the speaker outputs. It could be that one of your output chips
or transistors is going back, or is getting leaky. A leaky
capacitor might also do that. But a common item is a bias level
out of adjustment. Check out the amp main board and see if there
are any adjustment controls. You will probably have to get a
manual to figure out exactly how to adjust them.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com