David Bongo

Default Recommendation for good aftermarket radio

In my truck I've currently got an aftermarket Jensen AM/FM radio with CD
Player installed (model CD315X, I think). The AM reception is horrible,
the FM seems OK, and the CD player works decently but skips at the
slightest bump. (Well, it seems to. My shock absorber became
disconnected the other day and I noticed no difference in the ride so
maybe I'm just not particularly sensitive.)

Anyways, I like listening to AM for news and a few music stations. That
is of paramount importance to me. With my current unit, in the mornings
(say before 10:00), AM reception is garbage. Until about 5-6:00 it's
OK, depending on where in town I am and whether or not a thunderstorm is
brewing. Where I'm projected to spend most of my time, I can forget
about it - reception is that bad. I have a C.Crane Company antenna
installed to boost AM reception. It may have just boosted
interference. I'm hoping that the Jensen unit is just cheap

FM reception is nice, but doesn't need to be top-of-the-line. With few
exceptions I live on AM and the CD Player.

The stock unit in my '99 Cherokee works much better than the unit I
currently have in this truck. I don't want to spend a heck of a lot of
money on this, as this is a work truck. It's an old International Scout
and it bascially never sees use outside of work.

Am I out of luck or is there a decent low-price unit out there? (I've
seen ads for the JVC KDS590 and Sony XPLOD CDXL410X for under $120
installed, but I don't know how good the reception is on them.)

Thanks in advance.

Paul Vina

Have your antenna looked at. The symptoms you describe are symptomatic of a
bad antenna or bad antenna ground. You can still get FM with a bas antenna,
but not AM. Hell, you can get FM with your finger in the antenna plug.

Paul Vina