Corwin

Default Two Amps Installed but One is cutting out

I'm having a problem with one of my amps cutting out when heavy bass hits.
It is a 4/3/2 channel kenwood that is cutting out. The other amp is a Road
Gear peice of crap 2 channel amp. When I run them separately there is no
problem.. I can crank it as loud as I want and nothing is wrong. However
when I run both of them, the Kenwood cuts out when the bass hits. The
kenwood is wired for 3 channels, two of them bridged to a sub. It doesn't
matter how low i set the gains, the amp just cuts out, but the road gear
doesn't cut out... It seems to cut out less when I lower the gains on the
road gear... is there something wrong with it? I was thinking about picking
up another amp and hooking that one up to see if it does the same. If anyone
has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

neL

Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
"Corwin" wrote:

I'm having a problem with one of my amps cutting out when heavy bass hits.
It is a 4/3/2 channel kenwood that is cutting out. The other amp is a Road
Gear peice of crap 2 channel amp. When I run them separately there is no
problem.. I can crank it as loud as I want and nothing is wrong. However
when I run both of them, the Kenwood cuts out when the bass hits. The
kenwood is wired for 3 channels, two of them bridged to a sub. It doesn't
matter how low i set the gains, the amp just cuts out, but the road gear
doesn't cut out... It seems to cut out less when I lower the gains on the
road gear... is there something wrong with it? I was thinking about picking
up another amp and hooking that one up to see if it does the same. If anyone
has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

neL

It sounds like undervoltage protection. Make sure your wiring and
connections can handle the combined power draw.

Check out:
http://documents.epanorama.net/docum...esistance.html

Anything more than a loss of 0.5V at peak currents could cause problems.
The voltage loss is resistance/foot * feet * current. To address
heating, multiply the voltage loss by the current again.

For example of what would be a disaster of a setup:

100A peak
40A average
7 feet of 12 guage wire (.00187 Ohms/foot for 12 guage)

..00187 * 7 * 100 = 1.3 volts lost at peak current
..00187 * 7 * 40 * 40 = 20.9 watts average wire heating
Corwin

It sounds like undervoltage protection. Make sure your wiring and
connections can handle the combined power draw.

Check out:
http://documents.epanorama.net/docum...esistance.html

Anything more than a loss of 0.5V at peak currents could cause problems.
The voltage loss is resistance/foot * feet * current. To address
heating, multiply the voltage loss by the current again.

For example of what would be a disaster of a setup:

100A peak
40A average
7 feet of 12 guage wire (.00187 Ohms/foot for 12 guage)

.00187 * 7 * 100 = 1.3 volts lost at peak current
.00187 * 7 * 40 * 40 = 20.9 watts average wire heating

Thanks. I'm running about 10ft of 10 guage to a distro block and another 1
1/2 feet form the distro to the kenwood, then i'm running what looks like 16
guage from the distro block to the road gear amp. Could that power to the
road gear be making the kenwood cut out? I have extra 10 gage that i can run
to the road gear, but I will pick up some 10 guage grounding cable for it
too.

neL

Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
"Corwin" wrote:

[...]

What are the ratings for the amplifiers?

Corwin

Thanks. I'm running about 10ft of 10 guage to a distro block and another
1
1/2 feet form the distro to the kenwood, then i'm running what looks like

16
guage from the distro block to the road gear amp. Could that power to the
road gear be making the kenwood cut out? I have extra 10 gage that i can

run
to the road gear, but I will pick up some 10 guage grounding cable for it
too.

neL

What are the ratings for the amplifiers?

The Kenwood is about a 4 x 35WRMS I'm guessing.. I don't even remember the
model O_O

The Road Gear is a *claimed* 2 x 40.. but since it's road gear i'd guess its
about 2 x 20 or so.

neL

Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
"Corwin" wrote:

Thanks. I'm running about 10ft of 10 guage to a distro block and another

1
1/2 feet form the distro to the kenwood, then i'm running what looks like

16
guage from the distro block to the road gear amp. Could that power to the
road gear be making the kenwood cut out? I have extra 10 gage that i can

run
to the road gear, but I will pick up some 10 guage grounding cable for it
too.

neL

What are the ratings for the amplifiers?

The Kenwood is about a 4 x 35WRMS I'm guessing.. I don't even remember the
model O_O

The Road Gear is a *claimed* 2 x 40.. but since it's road gear i'd guess its
about 2 x 20 or so.

neL

That's about 35 amps peak.

0.00118 * 11.5 * 35 = 0.47 volts

You're pushing the limit with such a long length of 10 guage wire. Add
in other losses in the junctions and you may be loosing enough to trip
undervoltage protection.

Pick up some 8 or 6 gauge wire for your setup. It's not too expensive
and it's not so big that it becomes difficult to work with. Avoid weird
improvisations on the connections. Solder them or use properly sized
clamp connections.

8 gauge: 0.000739 * 11.5 * 35 = 0.30 volts
6 gauge: 0.000465 * 11.5 * 35 = 0.19 volts

Moving the amps closer to the battery helps a lot too. If you have
enough clearance for ventilation, putting the amps under the front seats
could cut the wire length, and losses, in half.
Corwin

[...]

Cool Thanks. I actually just found out it was 8 Guage... I always thought it
was 10. But I did buy some more 8 guage to rewire the road gear amp and it
appears to be MUCH better than before, but its still cutting out... I'm
going to try like u said and shorten the power wire. I'm not the one that
ran the power wire, so there could be lots of extra lying around.. Im going
to shorten it where i can.

neL

Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
"Corwin" wrote:

[...]

Look for other problems. Maybe a connection is bad or an amp is bad.
Poke around with a voltmeter.
GLN305

What size are the grounds...alot of people think the power wire is the
only inportant part, you need identical size grounds.
--
GLN305
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=152754