Golden80

Default Front speakers cutting out.

I have a set of 6.5 inch full-range Nakamichi's in my doors. They're not
the newest ones but I think they're the previous model. I have them
powered by an Eclipse 5/4 channel amp. I have adjusted the gain level
with no luck. The front speakers cut out when the volume's at a decent
level.

I pulled all of the speaker wires going from the amp to the speakers and
started some diagnosis. I connected each individual speaker to the left
front speaker outlet on the amp. During this test all but the left front
speaker worked. I didn't get any sound out of the left front Nakamichi.
The other three worked fine during the test.

I hooked everything back up after this and turned on the stereo. The
left front worked a little until I gave it some more volume, about 1/4
of the way full, and then the right front started cutting out again.
This leads me to think it's probably the speakers acting funny. Any
help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
--
Golden80
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=149848

Golden80

I just got back from a car stereo place. The install guy told me he
didn't think it was the speakers and that it was probably the wiring. I
mis-wrote some of my post. It will cut out at all volumes. Could that
still point to the speakers?

I'm not trying to counterpoint your suggestion but I just want to be
sure because I really liked the Nakamichi's when they worked and don't
have much cash for new speakers right now.

Matt
--
Golden80
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=149848

Paul Vina

That's usually the speakers. The best way to check is to connect the
speakers right next to the amp with a short piece of known good wiring and
see what happens. If it still cuts out, try a known good speaker. If it
still cuts out, it's the speakers. Basic process of elimination.

Paul Vina

"Golden80" wrote in message
s.com...
I just got back from a car stereo place. The install guy told me he
didn't think it was the speakers and that it was probably the wiring. I
mis-wrote some of my post. It will cut out at all volumes. Could that
still point to the speakers?

I'm not trying to counterpoint your suggestion but I just want to be
sure because I really liked the Nakamichi's when they worked and don't
have much cash for new speakers right now.

Matt
--
Golden80
View this thread:

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=149848

Paul Vina

I would unplug all of the rca's at the amp. fade all to one set of rca's
and then plug in one set at a time until you get sound. Then continue until
all are done correctly.

Paul Vina

"Golden80" wrote in message
s.com...
You were right. Replaced the speakers last night and couldn't be
happier. The Nakamichi's in it were really old. So I got a set of
Eclipse 3-way 6.5's. Much better sounding.

I had another quick question. I think I misorganized a couple of RCA
cables to the amp from my HU. Is there an easier way than pulling the
HU and checking for continuity on the wires?

Thanks,
Matt
--
Golden80
View this thread:

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=149848

Bose 901 Review William Sommerwerck General 149 January 8th 05 04:49 PM
Outdoor Speakers MarkW General 1 May 19th 04 05:42 PM
do 16 ohm speakers exist? (for home use) General 9 January 7th 04 05:46 AM
'89 Camry Recommendation [email protected] Car Audio 5 July 14th 03 11:31 PM
Remote speakers? L-pads? Totally confused! Hogarth General 3 July 3rd 03 02:06 PM