Posted to rec.audio.tech
ddartmedia ddartmedia is offline

Default Layperson's question ok? Have I blown my speakers?

Hi, apologies to anyone annoyed by laypersons' questions here (I got
flamed here once before) but I really want to put the question to a
community like this; the only alternative I know of is Yahoo Answers
(home of "how is babby formed?").

I'm wondering if I've blown my speakers. There's no *constant*
"bzzzzz" sound with all music I play, but I suspect I hear it very
subtly in certain songs (I might be being paranoid), and I'm pretty
sure I'm not hearing certain subtleties I once did.

Here's the story: my speakers are Infinity Beta 40s, about 3 years
old. I don't blast them; never really have. Infinity's "recommended
power amplifier range" for them is "10 - 200 watts." My receiver is a
75 watt-per-channel Yamaha RX-497. Until doing it once when the
system was turned on, my crawling baby daughter used to really love
turning the Yamaha's big, tempting volume knob all the way up. Sure
enough, one day I turned on the receiver (which was set to tuner) when
the knob was turned all the way up. Of course it started blasting--
for the two seconds or so till I could turn it down.

So, considering what my gear is, how likely is it that those few
seconds (such an incident may have happened two or three times total)
have meaningfully damaged my speakers?

Here's a reference to some famous music to try to illustrate: I have
the 2009 remasters of the Beatles' mono catalog. In "Taxman," there
are those two "beats" (?) that come after lines like "let me tell you
how it will be (beat/chord) (beat/chord) / There's one for you 19 for
me (beat/chord) (beat/chord)." On those beats, it seems to buzz a
bit, even at moderate volume. Is that an indication of speaker
damage, or am I just freaking out and forgetting that it always
sounded a little distorted there?

If this little story is not enough to determine whether my speakers
are likely damaged, then what's the best way to determine it?

Thanks a lot for any advice as I fret over my very dear speakers.

And I'll graciously pass on suggestions about placing my gear out of
reach of children (for the kids' sake). After ignoring my instinct to
do so, I have now made the responsible adjustments...
Posted to rec.audio.tech
g g is offline

On Apr 22, 9:50*pm, ddartmedia wrote:
[...]

I generally listen to them with reduced highs, like in am radio. It's
easier to hear hf buzz if there is
Less source highs that cover up the buzz.

Greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Fred[_13_] Fred[_13_] is offline

G wrote:
[...]

Could be a woofer; could be a tweeter. Could be your paranoia.

Find a tunable oscillator program on the 'net, hook your computer sound
card up to your stereo if it isn't already, and use the oscillator to run a
slow frequency sweep from 20 or 30 Hz up to 4 or 5 kHz into your
speakers, one at a time. Turn the level up enough so that if there's a
problem, you will excite it. But don't get carried away; loud sine waves
can damage tweeters which never see anything like that in real music.

You will probably excite rattles in your room at low frequencies; do not
confuse those with buzzes / rattles coming from the woofer (or tweeter,
at higher frequencies) under test.

If you can excite a buzz or rattle in a woofer or tweeter at reasonable
levels this way, that woofer or tweeter is damaged. If not, not.

A purist would advise you to replace both woofers or tweeters if you find
one of them damaged. You sound like a purist, or careful listener, so take
that advice. Otherwise you'll be noticing subtle differences between your
channels that will slowly drive you crazy and send you to the loony bin.
The new driver will not match up with the 3 year older one, if you're a
careful listener, before you're old and slowly going deaf from the ringing
in your ears. ;-(

Fred

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tim Schwartz[_2_] Tim Schwartz[_2_] is offline

On 4/23/2011 2:54 AM, Fred wrote:
G wrote:
On Apr 22, 9:50 pm, wrote:
[...]

I would add to that, using the balance control, check one speaker at a
time, which will make it easier to figure out where the problem (if any) is.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

chatreed chatreed is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Schwartz[_2_] View Post
On 4/23/2011 2:54 AM, Fred wrote:
G wrote:
On Apr 22, 9:50 pm, wrote:
[...]

speaker is easy to go bad,if you dont often use it
just put a dvd to use it once a week