Posted to rec.audio.car

Default Wires of Pioneer BP-320 car booster

So I've such car audio booster amplifier, I need help on wiring it. It
has two bunches of wires, one has speaker output wires, ground, and
power input wires. So that seems to be clear. But in the other bunch,
there is a gnd wire and signal input wires for L and R channels, and
one non-clear-for-me -wire. Of course, it's a wire for power control,
but I'm wondering how is it meant to be connected. It is red, as well
as the power input wire, and about the operating voltage can be
measured between that wire and the ground, but it's not directly on the
same potential.

As I've tested it, results we
By connecting the "strange" wire to the operating voltage, nothing
happened.
By connecting it to the ground, the operating voltage seemed to get
(almost) shorted.
But...by connecting it to one of the _signal input wires_, the amp
turned on!

So I'm really wondering if it is really meant to be connected
so...might it be?
As I opened the amp and looked the circuit, I noticed that there are
capacitors connected series for blocking dc on the inputs, but do the
signal supply devices (music players, in other words ;-) have those
series capacitors on the outputs? (As I don't think that devices like
getting 12VDC to their outputs..)

BTW, does the "booster amplifier" mean something special, I've heard
that it has something different compared to "basic" amplifier, but I
couldn't find information. So how is it?

ac0j ac0j is offline
Junior Member

Location: Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by
[...]

Booster means to take the speaker level output of the radio and "boost" it to the amplifiers rated output. amplifier is to take a low level input and amplify it to speaker level. The fact that is has speaker level inputs makes it a booster type amp.

This sounds like an older amp. I have delt with these years ago, If I remember correctly. the little red wire that is with the speaker input wires is actually a power wire to supply power to the head unit. And if memory serves, it senses the current draw of the head unit turning on to power up the amp. If you have the blue remote turn on wire, the little red one is not needed. If no blue turn on wire, use the little red one as the remote turn on lead.

acØj