Bob

Default Pioneer GM-X312: Stable at 2 ohms?

Bought this amp used (hence, no manual) to power a single sub to fill in the
low end on my system. I'm not looking to boom and thump, I just want
something to cover the low gaps my door and rear panel speakers leave
(basically, I'll be passively crossing the exisitng speakers at 120hz front,
80hz rear, and letting the amp's built in low-pass send everything below 80
to the sub).

I've got a bid in on a DVC MTX 10", and it occured to me that an amp this
small (35x2 or 80x1 at 4 ohms) might not be 2 ohm stable.

Anyone got this amp with a manual or personal experience that could let me
know if I'll have problems running the coils in parallel off the bridged
single channel?

If I need to run it at 4 ohms, am I better off feeding 80 watts at 4 ohms to
a single coil, or 35 to each coil?

If 35 to each coil, how can I make sure I'm feeding it a mono signal?

Thanks for any suggestions.

-l

Daniel Snooks

Bob wrote
Bought this amp used (hence, no manual) to power a single sub to fill in

the
low end on my system. I'm not looking to boom and thump, I just want
something to cover the low gaps my door and rear panel speakers leave
(basically, I'll be passively crossing the exisitng speakers at 120hz

front,
80hz rear, and letting the amp's built in low-pass send everything below

80
to the sub).

I've got a bid in on a DVC MTX 10", and it occured to me that an amp this
small (35x2 or 80x1 at 4 ohms) might not be 2 ohm stable.

Anyone got this amp with a manual or personal experience that could let me
know if I'll have problems running the coils in parallel off the bridged
single channel?

You could run the coils in series ... after all you aren't looking for SPL
thunder.

If I need to run it at 4 ohms, am I better off feeding 80 watts at 4 ohms

a single coil, or 35 to each coil?

If you don't run it in series bridge, then run it in 2 channel mode. Do not
use only one of the coils.

If 35 to each coil, how can I make sure I'm feeding it a mono signal?

You could use an active crossover between the head unit and the amp, some
have a feature to switch between stereo and mono output for the sub channel
(like my Eclipse for example)

Thanks for any suggestions.

You may want to pass the front speakers at 80Hz instead of 120Hz ... just a
thought.

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

Paul Vina

Your amp IS 2 ohm stable but only in stereo. The easiest way to wire it
would be to do 8 ohm mono which will be the same as 4 ohm stereo and the sub
will get about 40 watts.

Paul Vina