Rich.Andrews

Default tweaks and proof

With all of the discussion regarding "tweaks" and "mods" that has been
prevalent, I was wondering not if any of them had any merit, or hold even
then slightest chance of making a difference, but whether or not one could
devise a quantifiable test to prove the claims made. I think it is up to
the person making the claims to prove them.

In the medical field there is anecdote and there is proof. Without proof,
an anecdote is just that, a nice story. An anecdote could also be an
indicator that some effect is happening, but the anecdote by itself
substantiates or proves nothing.

For example, how can one devise a test to prove that XYZ product not just
sounds but also measures "significantly" different than the $0.49 variety
available at Walmart? If we are able to view and manipulate single atoms,
there must be a way to measure and quantify and therefore qualify an
effect claimed.

It is as if we are in the early days of Hi-Fi placing speakers in cabinets
of various sizes until we find something that sounds good. We are trying
all manner of substances without a clue as to what is going on.

As near as I can tell, those making claims of speaker cables,
interconnects, etc are just guessing at what is going on. They don't know
and even if they did, they can't prove it with measurements and tests
using laboratory equipment. There are some theories floating around, but
no one has proposed any experiments to prove these theories. I believe
that if we fully understand a mechanism, then we are able to produce a
better product than all of the guesswork done previously.

This begs the question of how would one go about proving these
unsubstaniated claims.

S888Wheel

From: "Rich.Andrews"
Date: 6/15/2004 3:52 PM Pacific Standard Time
[...]

I think one could start by comparing actual signals. If a given tweak makes
absolutely no measurable difference in the signal then it can't possibly make a
difference in the sound.
Steven Sullivan

From: "Rich.Andrews"
Date: 6/15/2004 3:52 PM Pacific Standard Time
[...]

What's to prevent someone from claiming, 'you haven't measured the *right thing*'?
Along with the ever-popular 'not everything can be measured'?

And, too, a measurable difference is not necessarily audible.

--

-S.
Why don't you just admit that you hate music and leave people alone. --

Uptown Audio

That is not true of acoustics unless the signal being measured is the
acoustic output (room + signal). In other words, anything that is done
to effect the acoustics (or mechanical isolation from acoustic
feedback in the case of equipment) could be considered a tweek if it
were not part of the original equipment but could also not be measured
as part of the electrical signal only. Basically the original poster's
(Rich's) idea is so broad as not to be able to be addressed. So broad
in fact that it is obvious without any tests that many things that
could be called tweeks would work well and measure well, while others
would not. Then we could go on and say of the ones that did "work"
(we'll say "have a real effect") that they may or may not have a
"beneficial" effect. Just because something is different does not make
it better, so we are left deciding what better means, ad nausem - a
real can of worms that has been dented to death here and elsewhere.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

From: "Rich.Andrews"
Date: 6/15/2004 3:52 PM Pacific Standard Time
[...]

Nothing beats the bandwidth of a station wagon filled with DLT

tapes.

I think one could start by comparing actual signals. If a given

tweak makes
absolutely no measurable difference in the signal then it can't

possibly make a
difference in the sound.

Lasse

"Rich.Andrews" wrote in message ...

For example, how can one devise a test to prove that XYZ product not just
sounds but also measures "significantly" different than the $0.49 variety
available at Walmart? If we are able to view and manipulate single atoms,
there must be a way to measure and quantify and therefore qualify an
effect claimed.

Measuring difference could be easy, but the measurements do not tell if
this difference is desirable or not. We cannot evaluate even speakers
based on measurements only, so how could we do this with tweaks?

Lasse Ukkonen

TChelvam

Steven Sullivan wrote in message news:gBMzc.40266$eu.31721@attbi_s02...

What's to prevent someone from claiming, 'you haven't measured the *right thing*'?
Along with the ever-popular 'not everything can be measured'?

Like what they said in 1994 or 1993 issue of The Absolute Sound.
It goes something like this " ...the engineers must be laughing when
one magazine claimed that they managed to do meaningful jitter
measurement.".

I guess they must be laughing now at their ignorance, then.

Probably, prior to 1985, we do not know what a jitter was.

Steven Sullivan

TChelvam wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote in message news:gBMzc.40266$eu.31721@attbi_s02...

What's to prevent someone from claiming, 'you haven't measured the *right thing*'?
Along with the ever-popular 'not everything can be measured'?

Like what they said in 1994 or 1993 issue of The Absolute Sound.
It goes something like this " ...the engineers must be laughing when
one magazine claimed that they managed to do meaningful jitter
measurement.".

I guess they must be laughing now at their ignorance, then.

Probably, prior to 1985, we do not know what a jitter was.

AIUI, jitter had been known about before then, by the telecommunications
industry.

--

-S.
Why don't you just admit that you hate music and leave people alone. --
spiffy

Michael Scarpitti

"Rich.Andrews" wrote in message ...
With all of the discussion regarding "tweaks" and "mods" that has been
prevalent, I was wondering not if any of them had any merit, or hold even
then slightest chance of making a difference, but whether or not one could
devise a quantifiable test to prove the claims made. I think it is up to
the person making the claims to prove them.

Not exactly. A scientific 'claim' that is published in a peer-reviewed
journal does require some supporting evidence, but if I'm simply
saying that cable X sounds cleaner to me than cable Y, no such claim
is being made, simply because it is not possible to have access to
another's sensory.

Codifus

Nousaine wrote:

(TChelvam) wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote in message

What's to prevent someone from claiming, 'you haven't measured the *right

thing*'?

Along with the ever-popular 'not everything can be measured'?

Like what they said in 1994 or 1993 issue of The Absolute Sound.
It goes something like this " ...the engineers must be laughing when
one magazine claimed that they managed to do meaningful jitter
measurement.".

I guess they must be laughing now at their ignorance, then.

Probably, prior to 1985, we do not know what a jitter was.

Actually jitter was a known and solved problem in telecommunications 20 years
prior to that. The American public first used digital audio as early as 1962
when Westren Electric installed the first digital carrier systems in the long
distance network in Illinois.

As a former Bell Labs scientist explained to me about 1986; jitter can be a
performance issue when you have a call that is placed from New Jersey and
finally connected in Los Angeles after several alternate possible route-ings
and multiple analog to digital and reverse conversions but it isn't an issue
between your cd player and dac inboard or otherwise.

But then, that would depend on the quality of the measurment. In phone
conversation, we aren't looking for audiophile quality, so any jitter
they find on the phone must be extreme. The jitter in audio is probably
high enough to be bothersome to those "golden ears" but more than
acceptable to phone conversations.

CD

S888Wheel

From: Steven Sullivan
Date: 6/15/2004 5:35 PM Pacific Standard Time

From: "Rich.Andrews"

Date: 6/15/2004 3:52 PM Pacific Standard Time
[...]

Nothing I suppose. But one can always ask this someone what they think is not
being measured. Who knows, maybe in some cases such people are actually right.

Along with the ever-popular 'not everything can be measured'?

People can claim anything they want to claim. I believe everything that can be
heard by a human being can be measured. That doesn't mean it always is being
measured when some one makes measurements.

And, too, a measurable difference is not necessarily audible.

Never said it was. However if there is no measurable differences between two
signals then there is nothing to discuss. They will make the same sound with
the same associated equipment.

Bruce Abrams

"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
"Rich.Andrews" wrote in message

With all of the discussion regarding "tweaks" and "mods" that has been
prevalent, I was wondering not if any of them had any merit, or hold

even
then slightest chance of making a difference, but whether or not one

could
devise a quantifiable test to prove the claims made. I think it is up

the person making the claims to prove them.

Not exactly. A scientific 'claim' that is published in a peer-reviewed
journal does require some supporting evidence, but if I'm simply
saying that cable X sounds cleaner to me than cable Y, no such claim
is being made, simply because it is not possible to have access to
another's sensory.

Actually, we haven't gotten to the stage of having you prove to a third
party that they can hear a difference, we'll settle for you proving that YOU
can hear a difference.

Alan Murphy

From: "Rich.Andrews"
Date: 6/15/2004 3:52 PM Pacific Standard Time
[...]

In the digital domain this is a reasonable statement.

Alan

Buster Mudd

Uptown Audio wrote in message news:eEOzc.47487$0y.2739@attbi_s03...
That is not true of acoustics unless the signal being measured is the
acoustic output (room + signal). In other words, anything that is done
to effect the acoustics (or mechanical isolation from acoustic
feedback in the case of equipment) could be considered a tweek if it
were not part of the original equipment but could also not be measured
as part of the electrical signal only.

Ironically I was thinking along similar lines, except taking it
farther to say that the only conceivable way to measure alleged
audible differences between Before & After "tweaks" would be to
measure the acoustic output of the complete sound system in the room.
It does no good (other than to assure some smug self-congratulatory
backpatting amongst the naysayers) to measure the electrical signal at
the output of a $200 interconnect cable & show that it is identical to
the electrical output of a $4 interconnect cable; the tweakophile who
claims he heard a difference heard it connected to the rest of his
audio system in his listening room through his ears, *not* through
some direct electrical connection to the cable. Perhaps that $200
cable interacts bizarrely with the rest of his components, causing
them to perform differently? If so, one would be hard pressed to argue
that difference is not a measurable difference. Time Domain
Spectrometry and FFT can map some fairly refined acoustic phenomena,
so why not measure the sum total net difference in acoustic output of
a sound system, both Before & After the application of a "tweak" &
compare the results?

"I think it is up to
the person making the claims to prove them.

Not exactly. A scientific 'claim' that is published in a peer-reviewed
journal does require some supporting evidence, but if I'm simply
saying that cable X sounds cleaner to me than cable Y, no such claim
is being made, simply because it is not possible to have access to
another's sensory.

Which is why tests are done on several people to see if the individual
perception is the product of their brain or can be demonstrated
independent of their report of the experience. Using listening alone,
this is how the benchmark for detecting no differences in amps and wire
was established. Then when each new individual reports some perception,
their report can be tested using the same as that for the benchmark and
conclusions drawn accordingly. This same approach is used for such
things as esp, astrology, etc. where that which is reported can not be
experienced by another and tests are established to exclude the source of
that report as something independent of the person's brain. As to
providing support for claims, because the claims often originate in
marketing, it is they who have the burden of providing support in some
established way that can be independently confirmed. Else it is but the
next clever notion of some marketing guy.
Sean Fulop

From: "Rich.Andrews"
Date: 6/15/2004 3:52 PM Pacific Standard Time
[...]

And I repeat, we cannot be sure that everything can be measured. No
researcher in sound or signal processing could be taken seriously if he
said otherwise, given the advances in measuring properties of the signal
that are made each week and reported in the journals. Now, on the other
hand, if two outputs produce exactly the same signal down to the 96 kHz
sampled bit, then they are indeed "the same". Comparing two digitized
signals can be done simply, just look at their matrices and see whether
the cells all have the same numbers.

But I don't think this is what people mean when they say there is "no
measurable difference," they are usually talking about staring at some
graph or chart or something that has been computed as a property of the
signals. And there is good reason to try this, since the bit-identity of
two signal waveforms is really not at all correlated with two signals
seeming to "sound the same." Drastically different signals can be
easily made which sound the same, because of the variety of effects to
which the ear is not sensitive.

But, alas, once you break away from simply comparing two signals (i.e.
their matrices) to see whether they are in fact the same (not unlike
using Unix 'grep' to compare two text files), you can no longer be
certain of your assertions to the effect that your failure to measure
any difference represents everyone's inability to hear any difference.

-Sean
Dick Pierce

TChelvam wrote:
What's to prevent someone from claiming, 'you haven't measured
the *right thing*'? Along with the ever-popular 'not everything
can be measured'?

Like what they said in 1994 or 1993 issue of The Absolute Sound.
It goes something like this " ...the engineers must be laughing when
one magazine claimed that they managed to do meaningful jitter
measurement.".
I guess they must be laughing now at their ignorance, then.
Probably, prior to 1985, we do not know what a jitter was.

Please be careful on what you mean by "we." Yes, many people
in the high-end audio biz did not know about jitter, including
a number of manufacturers who made and sold some very expensive
and abysmally designed digital audio equipment.

It's obvious, given such an example, that the high-end audio biz
is NOT representative of the state of electronic art, because the
issue of jitter was well understood and rather well handled DECADES
before the high-end audio biz "discovered" it. It was even talked
about in the context of digital audio years before the introduction
of the CD.

When you say "prior to 1985, we do not know what jitter was," are
you aware, for example, of the following:

Blesser, B. A., "Digitization of Audio: A Comprehensive
Examination of Theory, Implementation and Current
Practice," J. Audio Eng. Soc., vol 26, no 10, pp
739-771, 1978 Oct.

where the good Doctor devotes a goodly amount of his text
SPECIFICALLY tp the topic of the effects of jitter?

Which "we" are "we" talking about?

Or, how about:

Manson, W., "Digital Sound Signals: Subjective Effect
of Timing Jitter," BBC Research Eng. Div, Great Britain,
Monograph 1974/11, 1974.

Gee, that's fully 11 years before some "we" discovered jitter.

I would suggest that it was, indeed, people like Harry Pearson,
the Absolute Sound, and a number of the high-end equipment
manufacturers who were late, event negligent, in discovering
jitter, a topic thoroughly investigated decades prior to their
sudden "enlightment" in the telecommunications field and
thoroughly investigated and documented at least 11 years
prior to the magical enlightment of the high-end wonks.

| Dick Pierce |
| Professional Audio Development |
| (1) 781/826-4953 Voice and FAX |
| |

Michael McKelvy

"Lasse" wrote in message
"Rich.Andrews" wrote in message

For example, how can one devise a test to prove that XYZ product not

just
sounds but also measures "significantly" different than the $0.49

variety
available at Walmart? If we are able to view and manipulate single

atoms,
there must be a way to measure and quantify and therefore qualify an
effect claimed.

Measuring difference could be easy, but the measurements do not tell if
this difference is desirable or not.

If the FR is flat within human hearing capability and the distortion
inaudible it is desirable. In fact it is as good as it need to be.

We cannot evaluate even speakers
based on measurements only

We can't? Why not?
Isn't the job of any audio component supposed to be that it reproduce the
signal being fed to it without any audible distortion and with flat
Frequency response? That is the definition of High Fidelity that I use.

In the case of speakers you have interactions from the accoustic space they
are being used in, but those can be manipulated by EQ and such.

, so how could we do this with tweaks?

We could measure what they do to the sound. Does the tweak make the
response flatter? Does it redouce audible distortiion? These things are
measureable and knowable.

IMO there's far to much discussion of non-existing problems from the
electronics and not nearly enough about how to make better speakers.

My fantasy is that someday there will be a device that can measure the
inroom response of a speaker across the entire frequency range and adjust it
to flat so that we will finally be free to hear exactly what we are supposed
to be hearing. Naturally such a device would need to ber defeatable, if
for no other reason than comparison.

Lasse Ukkonen

Steven Sullivan

Sean Fulop wrote:
[...]

Seems to me you have it backwards.

Two bit-identical tracks will very likely sound the same.
Tus bit-identity is correlated to aural identity; more
properly, it is *sufficient* for aural identity.

That does not mean that *sounding the same* correlates as well to
bit-identity. The relationship is not reciprocal, for the
reason you state. Aural identity is not sufficient reason
to conclude bit-identity.

--

-S.
Why don't you just admit that you hate music and leave people alone. --
spiffy

Nousaine

Codifus wrote:

Nousaine wrote:

(TChelvam) wrote:

[...]

Even if that were to be true the original claim was

Probably, prior to 1985, we do not know what a jitter was.

Which is patently untrue. Also note that Mr Pierce made reference to a bbc
paper published in 1974.
TChelvam

Dick Pierce wrote in message ...
TChelvam wrote:
Which "we" are "we" talking about?

Or, how about:

Manson, W., "Digital Sound Signals: Subjective Effect
of Timing Jitter," BBC Research Eng. Div, Great Britain,
Monograph 1974/11, 1974.

Gee, that's fully 11 years before some "we" discovered jitter.

The "we" I was refering to is people like me. Who is looking for great
sound at reasonable price.

Despite all the arguments for and against tweaks and High resolution
format, we are yet to see any one audio engineer who could throw a
challenge to whoever claim that their product improve sound. In the
name of science, has any of audio engineering society hauled up people
who sell Racing Diamond cones or green pen or snake oil? for
misleading the public?

Or, why can't someone with all the measurements and technical paper in
hand come up with suggestions like the alternative for system of say,
Amati Speakers, Krell Amplifier and Esoterik CD Player at 1/10 of its
price or even 1/5. So the problem with people like us ( my type and
not necessarily you) with a system of 1/10 of aforementioned resort to
tweaks hoping they will get 5/10 of their dream system.

Help us. Give us a definite answer. Make statement like "Buy $300 Sony
Amplifier instead of $5000 Krell. The measurable difference is so
small that it make no audible difference" or. "Stop wasting your money
Amati , buy Benhinger (I misspelt that) for 1/20 of the price and the
is no audible difference you can tell".

The last I check, jitter measurements still have a lot of room for
improvement and accuracy. See here ;-
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/6,640,193

Nousaine

TChelvam wrote:
Which "we" are "we" talking about?

Or, how about:

Manson, W., "Digital Sound Signals: Subjective Effect
of Timing Jitter," BBC Research Eng. Div, Great Britain,
Monograph 1974/11, 1974.

Gee, that's fully 11 years before some "we" discovered jitter.

The "we" I was refering to is people like me. Who is looking for great
sound at reasonable price.

Despite all the arguments for and against tweaks and High resolution
format, we are yet to see any one audio engineer who could throw a
challenge to whoever claim that their product improve sound. In the
name of science, has any of audio engineering society hauled up people
who sell Racing Diamond cones or green pen or snake oil? for
misleading the public?

As far as that goes the AES doesn'thave the resources to challenge every
ridiculous claim (the AES is a collegal group of audio engineers not a R&D or
laboratory facility) I've continually challenged those kind of claims and those
type of people.

Perhaps the most well known of people who have done so was David Clark who
(along with David Carlstrom, Arny Krueger and several others) developed the
original ABX protocol and comparitor in the early 80s.

I've challenged manufacturers (refused to perform a promised test when I
visited) and retailers (traveled to Florida at my own expense to proctor a
challenge that said retailer would prove that he could easily "hear" amplifiers
under bias-controlled conditions) and enthusiasts (assembled a fully-tweaked
system and recruited subjects for a bias controlled listening test) yet have
not found anyone (no single subject) who was able to reliably identify
amps/wires and outboard DACs under bias controlled listening conditions.

Or, why can't someone with all the measurements and technical paper in
hand come up with suggestions like the alternative for system of say,
Amati Speakers, Krell Amplifier and Esoterik CD Player at 1/10 of its
price or even 1/5. So the problem with people like us ( my type and
not necessarily you) with a system of 1/10 of aforementioned resort to
tweaks hoping they will get 5/10 of their dream system.

You can do that yourself. Just use your head. But anyway that's done all the
time. Read any issue of Sound & Vision and you'll find such systems being
evaluated.

Help us. Give us a definite answer. Make statement like "Buy $300 Sony
Amplifier instead of $5000 Krell. The measurable difference is so
small that it make no audible difference" or. "Stop wasting your money
Amati , buy Benhinger (I misspelt that) for 1/20 of the price and the
is no audible difference you can tell".

OK under bias controlled conditions a high-end retailer was unable to reliably
identify his multi-kilobuck PASS Aleph monoblock amplifiers vs a used Yamaha
integrated amplifier using in his personal reference system using his
personally selected program material.

A high-end salesman, under modest bias controlled conditions (cloth over
speaker terminals) was unable to reliably identify upscale speaker cables from
zip cord using the very system where he claimed that "pretty amazing"
differences were audible.

A group of audio enthusiasts was unable to distinguish a highly-regarded
outboard DAC from the same signal coming from the analog outputs of the same cd
player and re-routed through the analog inputs of a Marantz CDR-610 (in record
mode) and taken from the headphone jack (the latter was needed to proivide
level matching with the DAC) under blind conditions.

These instances are so common I'm surprised that you haven't seen or heard
about them. But there are so many claims that can be considered snake-oil they
are impossible to keepupwith them all. And the less-responsible
manufacturers/distributors just keep changing the goalposts once the claim is
tested. They either dispute the results or just make up new claims and new
'reasons.'

The last I check, jitter measurements still have a lot of room for
improvement and accuracy. See here ;-

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...HITOFF&d=PALL&
p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,640,193.WKU.&OS=PN/6,640,193
&RS=PN/6,640,193

IMO measurement of jitter hasn't been a problem. But you can check some of this
stuff for yourself. Just find 2 devices you think sound different and then have
another person help you to test whether the differences can still be heard when
you don't know which of the two devices is playing.

chung

S888Wheel wrote:

And, too, a measurable difference is not necessarily audible.

Never said it was. However if there is no measurable differences between two
signals then there is nothing to discuss. They will make the same sound with
the same associated equipment.

The problem, of course, is that usually there is a measureable
difference between two components, since our measuring instruments are
so sensitive. Take two cables of the same make, one 3 ft long and one
3.1 ft long. There is a measureable difference. Heck, the lengths are
clearly different. And we can certainly resolve the 0.1 nanosecond or so
in delay. It would take an extreme subjectivist, however, to claim that
there is a sonic difference between those two.

The crux of the problem is in the disagreement on what differences are
detectible via listening only. Past research indicates that level
differences of less than 0.3 dB over the audio band are not detectible
by listeners. Let's be generous and tighten that to 0.2 dB. If we would
agree that this is the threshold of audibility, then we can prove fairly
easily that 99% of the cables and interconnects do sound the same.
Lasse

"Michael McKelvy" wrote in message news:kn4Ac.45987$eu.38549@attbi_s02...

We can't? Why not?
Isn't the job of any audio component supposed to be that it reproduce the
signal being fed to it without any audible distortion and with flat
Frequency response? That is the definition of High Fidelity that I use.

Well, knowing what is perfect is way different than ranking two
imperfect measurements. Consider that there is two speakers with
almost linear FR. However, other has slight bump in 3k region and
other has similar bump in 5k region. How can we tell which is
better without listening?

Lasse Ukkonen
Ban

Buster Mudd wrote:

[...]

Buster, you are wrong here, if there is any measurable difference at the
output of the system, it will already show up at the output of the
interconnect. The whole system works at exactly the same operating point and
the single components will multiply their transmission functions. It is like
6x5= 5x6= identical. So no matter where you tweak, the difference will be
there in the chain after the tweaked component and will go on being there
exactly alike (as long as the system is linear) down the chain until the
output.
If you have applied several different tweaks, the final output will be
exactly the product of each individual one and will be measurable after each
changed component.
Your argumentation is not valid, it is governed by your belief and utterly
unscientific.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy
chung

TChelvam wrote:
Which "we" are "we" talking about?

Or, how about:

Manson, W., "Digital Sound Signals: Subjective Effect
of Timing Jitter," BBC Research Eng. Div, Great Britain,
Monograph 1974/11, 1974.

Gee, that's fully 11 years before some "we" discovered jitter.

The "we" I was refering to is people like me. Who is looking for great
sound at reasonable price.

Despite all the arguments for and against tweaks and High resolution
format, we are yet to see any one audio engineer who could throw a
challenge to whoever claim that their product improve sound. In the
name of science, has any of audio engineering society hauled up people
who sell Racing Diamond cones or green pen or snake oil? for
misleading the public?

Have you seen anyone from AMA hauled up people who advertize pills and
patches that extend certain parts of your anatomy?

Or do you believe that those treatments work because the AMA really
hasn't hauled anybody up?

Have you seen any scientific society hauled up the flat-earthers? Or the
psychics? Does that lack of action lead you to believe that the earth
may be flat? Or that psychics really work?

I used to work in audio instrumentation. I am pronouncing the green pen
as snake oil based on my technical expertise. Is that enough proof for you?

Michael McKelvy

"Sean Fulop" wrote in message

From: "Rich.Andrews"
Date: 6/15/2004 3:52 PM Pacific Standard Time
[...]

Then you can't be sure it can't be either. Everything I've seen on the
subject says that we have the ability to measure everything hearable.
Unless youhave some proof that the right things or everything isn't being
measured, you're just making a blank assertion.

No
researcher in sound or signal processing could be taken seriously if he
said otherwise, given the advances in measuring properties of the signal
that are made each week and reported in the journals.

It's true we can measure things we can't hear, so what?

Now, on the other
hand, if two outputs produce exactly the same signal down to the 96 kHz
sampled bit, then they are indeed "the same". Comparing two digitized
signals can be done simply, just look at their matrices and see whether
the cells all have the same numbers.

But I don't think this is what people mean when they say there is "no
measurable difference," they are usually talking about staring at some
graph or chart or something that has been computed as a property of the
signals.

If there is no measurable difference there is no audible difference.

And there is good reason to try this, since the bit-identity of
two signal waveforms is really not at all correlated with two signals
seeming to "sound the same." Drastically different signals can be
easily made which sound the same, because of the variety of effects to
which the ear is not sensitive.

Then it doesn't matter, if they sound the same they are the same to the
listener.

But, alas, once you break away from simply comparing two signals (i.e.
their matrices) to see whether they are in fact the same (not unlike
using Unix 'grep' to compare two text files), you can no longer be
certain of your assertions to the effect that your failure to measure
any difference represents everyone's inability to hear any difference.

Which is why tools like ABX are valuable.
S888Wheel

From: chung
Date: 6/17/2004 3:29 PM Pacific Standard Time
S888Wheel wrote:

And, too, a measurable difference is not necessarily audible.

Never said it was. However if there is no measurable differences between

two
signals then there is nothing to discuss. They will make the same sound

with
the same associated equipment.

The problem, of course, is that usually there is a measureable
difference between two components, since our measuring instruments are
so sensitive.

It is not a problem for the instances in which there is no measurable
differrence. One saves themselves the rigor of doing any further testing. So it
still makes sense to start there.

Take two cables of the same make, one 3 ft long and one
3.1 ft long. There is a measureable difference. Heck, the lengths are
clearly different. And we can certainly resolve the 0.1 nanosecond or so
in delay.

A delay is not inherently a difference in the signal. Heck you can measure
differnt components days apart and there is a substantial delay but the signal
is what it is each time.

It would take an extreme subjectivist, however, to claim that
there is a sonic difference between those two.

It would take a mistake in one's impression to say there is an audible
difference if the only measurable difference is a nano second delay. Even if
the comparisons are supposed to be syncronized. If they are not syncronized
there is no measurable difference is there since such delays are irrelevent to
the content of the signal.

The crux of the problem is in the disagreement on what differences are
detectible via listening only. Past research indicates that level
differences of less than 0.3 dB over the audio band are not detectible
by listeners. Let's be generous and tighten that to 0.2 dB. If we would
agree that this is the threshold of audibility, then we can prove fairly
easily that 99% of the cables and interconnects do sound the same.

I said never said measurable differences were the end, only the start. If there
is no measurable difference it is the start and end. In some cases some time
and effort can be saved.

I'm sure the one who did the test will give details as he has here before,
if measurement includes a listening alone test of a serially tweeked
system of good repute, as to it's gear, and one made as unlike it as is
practicable, then this notion can not be confirmed. The highly tweeked
system could not be distinguished from that set up to violate as many
tweek guidelines as possible.

If you have applied several different tweaks, the final output will be
exactly the product of each individual one and will be measurable after each
changed component.
Your argumentation is not valid, it is governed by your belief and utterly
unscientific.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

Uptown Audio

Ban,
You may be overlooking the effect of the acoustic output on the system
mechanically and the effect of room acoustics. There are some tweeks
such as a form of isolation that will have both audible and measurable
results. Obviously not all components would be effected the same way
and thus a given form of isolation may only work well on one portion
of the system, where it would not have an audible effect on another.
You do have to look at the system as a whole to get the acoustic
output, plus the loop feedback and room response. I see where you are
going with this, but it does limit the measurements to specific
components. A good example of a situation where a tweek could not be
measured at a cable termination would be an acoustic wall treatment,
which could be considered a tweek as it would also effect the sound,
but it could not be measured anywhere but in the room of course. It
would just be easier to measure what you hear in the room at that
point to compare it to what you are hearing for a 1:1. I like the 1:1
scenario best as it allows you to hear and read the results
simultaneously and you can be confident that you are actually
measuring what you are hearing (or not hearing)... Using a mic in
the room, you could verify graphically what was being done with a
tweek (a laptop would be easiest to read and have at the listening
position). It would also provide rather convincing evidence of the
effectiveness of a particular tweek as the original poster had
pondered. It would still not provide a "better or worse" evaluation
from a subjective standpoint, just a result. Hey, some people love
their tube amps and peculiar speakers...
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Ban" wrote in message
Buster Mudd wrote:

[...]

Uptown Audio

Actually, that is exactly what I was saying about the acoustic output
of the system in the room and including the room acoustics, but I
would not go as far as to call cables a tweek - a necessity perhaps.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Buster Mudd" wrote in message
[...]

Dick Pierce

TChelvam wrote:
Which "we" are "we" talking about?

Or, how about:

Manson, W., "Digital Sound Signals: Subjective Effect
of Timing Jitter," BBC Research Eng. Div, Great Britain,
Monograph 1974/11, 1974.

Gee, that's fully 11 years before some "we" discovered jitter.

The "we" I was refering to is people like me. Who is looking for great
sound at reasonable price.

Despite all the arguments for and against tweaks and High resolution
format, we are yet to see any one audio engineer who could throw a
challenge to whoever claim that their product improve sound. In the
name of science, has any of audio engineering society hauled up people
who sell Racing Diamond cones or green pen or snake oil? for
misleading the public?

Why is it the job of science to disprove the outrageous claims and
technichal bunkum of a buch of johoshes from a backwater industry?
EVERYWHERE else in engineering and science, the obligation of proof
is on those making the claims to begin with, NOT on everyone else to
prove those claims wrong. Why are these people in the high-end audio
business getting off the hook? WHat did they do to deserve release
from their obligation? Why are THEY so privileged?

The point of my reply was not to expose this faker or that dillitant,
but rather to dispell the notion that things like jitter were only
"discovered" recently, that it took rags like Absolute Sound to
"expose" these problems.

Frankly, Absolute Sound has been one of the WORST things for the true
advancement of audio, what with its anti-science, anti-knowledge,
bunkum, hokum and personality-driven agenda.

The fact is that the high-end audio biz is DECADES behind the leading
edge of technology. It hasn't got the background and knowledge of
human audio perception that was studied back in the 1930's, it
"discovered problems" that were described in the definitive peer-
reviewed technical literature decades earlier, it promotes incompetent
and defective designs.

You don't like hearing that? You don't believe me?

Well, just take the two references I supplied, track them down,
follow the bibliograhpies and find out for yourself.

Want to fix the situation? How about you absolutely refuse to pay
for the nonsense written in many of the high-end rags? Boycott the
bunkum. Run the bums out of town on the rails. Maybe when we get
the high-priests of audio out of audio, it will stop being a
religion. Expose these magazine charlatains for what they are. Or,
event better, let them die the slow, ignominious economic starvation
death they so richly deserve.

"We" worry about jitter, because these idiots TOLD "us" to worry
about it. Because they haven't a clue what its all about. They sent
"us" out on a wild goose chanse, and generated whole generations of
expensive products, many of which made the problem WORSE, and got
praise for their amazing "transparency."

| Dick Pierce |
| Professional Audio Development |
| (1) 781/826-4953 Voice and FAX |

chung

From: chung
Date: 6/17/2004 3:29 PM Pacific Standard Time
S888Wheel wrote:

And, too, a measurable difference is not necessarily audible.

Never said it was. However if there is no measurable differences between

two
signals then there is nothing to discuss. They will make the same sound

with
the same associated equipment.

The problem, of course, is that usually there is a measureable
difference between two components, since our measuring instruments are
so sensitive.

It is not a problem for the instances in which there is no measurable
differrence.

My point is that there are very few instances where there is no
measureable difference, because of the sensitivity of our test instruments.

Care to provide examples where differences are not measureable?

One saves themselves the rigor of doing any further testing. So it
still makes sense to start there.

Only in principle. Not in practice.

Take two cables of the same make, one 3 ft long and one
3.1 ft long. There is a measureable difference. Heck, the lengths are
clearly different. And we can certainly resolve the 0.1 nanosecond or so
in delay.

A delay is not inherently a difference in the signal.

Why not? What about a difference in phase shift? What about the 0.001dB
in level due to the difference in resistance? How about the differences
in resistance, capacitance and inductance?

Heck you can measure
differnt components days apart and there is a substantial delay but the signal
is what it is each time.

No, the analogy is incorrect. One could measure those two cables at any
time, at any place, with any set of accurate instruments and get the
same difference in measurements. These differences are repeatable, and
objective.

It would take an extreme subjectivist, however, to claim that
there is a sonic difference between those two.

It would take a mistake in one's impression to say there is an audible
difference if the only measurable difference is a nano second delay.

There, you are beginning to make the point for me. You are providing a
juegment call that a nanosec. delay does not cause an *audible*
difference. Just like I may say that a difference in level of 0.1 dB is
not an audible difference, but would everyone agree?

Of course, I agree that that delay is not audible, but nonetheless there
is a *measureable* difference.

The difficulty is in agreeing what is an inaudible but measureable
difference.

Another example. Two preamps of the same make, model and specs. One has
an output impedance of 200 ohms. The other 202 ohms. Clearly there is a
measureable difference. Is it audible?

Even if
the comparisons are supposed to be syncronized. If they are not syncronized
there is no measurable difference is there since such delays are irrelevent to
the content of the signal.

You are making a judgment call on what constitiutes an audible
difference. By the way, that is the kind of calls that a lot of the more
scientific-minded have tried to make (like one can't tell differences in
level finer than 0.1dB, or one can't hear above 20 KHz), and a lot of
so-called golden-ear audiphiles do not agree with.

The crux of the problem is in the disagreement on what differences are
detectible via listening only. Past research indicates that level
differences of less than 0.3 dB over the audio band are not detectible
by listeners. Let's be generous and tighten that to 0.2 dB. If we would
agree that this is the threshold of audibility, then we can prove fairly
easily that 99% of the cables and interconnects do sound the same.

I said never said measurable differences were the end, only the start. If there
is no measurable difference it is the start and end. In some cases some time
and effort can be saved.

Very, very few cases. It's better to go straight to controlled listening
tests, IMO.