Andrew Korsh

Default Yet another DBT post

Question; have there been any DBT cable tests conducted with rigorous
scientific controls by accredited research institutions? Please cite
specifics.

Andy

Bob Marcus

Andrew Korsh wrote:

Question; have there been any DBT cable tests conducted with rigorous
scientific controls by accredited research institutions? Please cite
specifics.

Andy

No, for a very simple reason. No accredited research institution would
bother, since the experiment would do nothing but re-confirm settled
science. We already know what cables can do to signals, and we already know
at what levels those effects will be audible. Scientists have better things
to do than to prove what they already know.

To anticipate the complaint that this demonstrates a lack of
open-mindedness, scientists are always willing to entertain plausible new
ideas, and to test them. Similarly, if presented with a phenomenon that
cannot be explained by our existing knowledge, they are willing to
investigate its cause.

The problem is that those who wave their arms about DBTs here can offer
nothing new, and nothing that cannot already be explained. All of the
objections they raise have been considered and rejected. If they bothered to
inform themselves of the scientific work that has already been done on human
hearing perception, they would know this.

If they really want to advance science, instead of closing their minds to it
(which is what they are doing now), those skeptics should try doing their
own experiments, instead of demanding that others waste our time satisfying
their ill-informed "curiosity."

bob

Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software — optimizes dial-up to the max!

normanstrong

"Andrew Korsh" wrote in message
Question; have there been any DBT cable tests conducted with

rigorous
scientific controls by accredited research institutions? Please cite
specifics.

Not that we know of. For any such tests to take place there has to be
someone that has enough need for the results to justify financing the
test. One might expect that a cable company would fall into that
category. So far, tests sponsored by cable companies have been
notable for their absence. i.e. no cable company wants to know the
results of rigorous scientific testing of their product. They most
certainly don't want the public to have access to the results!

Several years ago, I ran a reasonably scientific test of biwiring on a
Vandersteen speaker. Vandersteen himself recommended biwiring, so it
seemed like a good choice of speaker to run the test. None of the 4
people taking the test could identify biwiring v. monowiring using 33'
of #12 or #18 wire. They could, however, using #24 telephone wire;
they preferred monowiring.

It is to my everlasting shame that I failed to properly document this
test, so that the results would be of value to others. I have no
excuse.

Cheers,

Norm Strong

Harry Lavo

"normanstrong" wrote in message
[...]

Yes you do. You were doing it for yourself and your friends and were not
preparing for publication. No apologies needed. Simply regret that you
don't have it. I've got lots of "experiments" that I wish I had document.
It is after all, a *hobby*.
Mkuller

(Andrew Korsh) wrote:

Question; have there been any DBT cable tests conducted with rigorous
scientific controls by accredited research institutions? Please cite
specifics.

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote:
No, because serious research institutions do not investigate 'the
bleeding obvious'. There have also been no serious researches into
whether the moon is made of green cheese, or whether Elvis is alive.

What's "obvious" to you is a subject of much contention here, or haven't you
noticed. The lack of rigorous DBT cable or even audio component tests shows
how small the audiophile universe is compared to other scientific research
areas. No one really cares but a few regular 'debaters' here on RAHE. The
subjectivists hear all of the differences for themselves and the objectivists
deny there are differences to hear. Until someone actually sponsors some
rigorous academic research on the topic, the truth is most likely lies
somewhere in between.
Regards,
Mike

Steven Sullivan

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote:
No, because serious research institutions do not investigate 'the
bleeding obvious'. There have also been no serious researches into
whether the moon is made of green cheese, or whether Elvis is alive.

What's "obvious" to you is a subject of much contention here, or haven't you
noticed. The lack of rigorous DBT cable or even audio component tests shows
how small the audiophile universe is compared to other scientific research
areas. No one really cares but a few regular 'debaters' here on RAHE. The
subjectivists hear all of the differences for themselves and the objectivists
deny there are differences to hear. Until someone actually sponsors some
rigorous academic research on the topic, the truth is most likely lies
somewhere in between.
Regards,
Mike

Similary, the scientific community doesn't care about the anti- or pseudoscientific
beliefs of audiophiles.

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director

S888Wheel

Similary, the scientific community doesn't care about the anti- or
pseudoscientific
beliefs of audiophiles.

Many memebers of the scientific community care a great deal about
pseudoscientific beliefs.

http://www.randi.org/vbulletin/register.php

Many scientists devote a great deal in combating the pseudoscience of
creationism. But you already know this.

It looks like audio has not been very interesting to most people who are
interested in debunking pseudoscience and claims of the paranormal.
Steven Sullivan

S888Wheel wrote:
Similary, the scientific community doesn't care about the anti- or
pseudoscientific
beliefs of audiophiles.

Many memebers of the scientific community care a great deal about
pseudoscientific beliefs.

....which is why I was careful to write OF AUDIOPHILES, Scott.
Sheesh.

http://www.randi.org/vbulletin/register.php

Many scientists devote a great deal in combating the pseudoscience of
creationism. But you already know this.

It looks like audio has not been very interesting to most people who are
interested in debunking pseudoscience and claims of the paranormal.

IOW, like I said. There are bigger and more important
anti-science foes for scientists and debunkers to fight,
than the ill-informed belief systems of a small cadre of
audio hobbyists. The job of 'debunking' should be performed by
the audio press.

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director

Stewart Pinkerton

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote:
No, because serious research institutions do not investigate 'the
bleeding obvious'. There have also been no serious researches into
whether the moon is made of green cheese, or whether Elvis is alive.

What's "obvious" to you is a subject of much contention here, or haven't you
noticed.

The continued survival of Elvis, and alien abductions, are also
subjects of much contention in certain narrow arenas. That doesn't
make either of them any more worthy of serious scientific research
than 'cable sound'.

The lack of rigorous DBT cable or even audio component tests shows
how small the audiophile universe is compared to other scientific research
areas.

Did you somehow miss WatchKing's heroic post regarding both cable
quality and extensive blind comparisons? Presumably not, since you
replied to it. Or did it simply not agree with your preconceptions,
and was therefore swept under the capacious rugs of your listening
room?

No one really cares but a few regular 'debaters' here on RAHE.

Indeed not, the non-existence of 'cable sound' is happily accepted by
the wider audio community.

The
subjectivists hear all of the differences for themselves and the objectivists
deny there are differences to hear. Until someone actually sponsors some
rigorous academic research on the topic, the truth is most likely lies
somewhere in between.

No Mike, there is *zero* reliable and repeatable evidence that 'cable
sound' has any existence outside your skull. If I say that 2+2=4, and
you say that 2+2=5, that does *not* mean that 2+2=4.5.............

Nousaine

Steven Sullivan wrote:

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote:
[...]

Actually Mr Kuller is invoking a classic argument argument that a losing side
in a debate falls to. First we invent an argument; forgive me if I'm going to
simplistic with my analogy.

Proponent: The Moon ismade of Green Cheese;

Antagonist: There's no evidence to support that assertion

Proponent: No one has ever proven that the Moon isn't made of Green Cheese.

Antagonist: The landings on the Moon have never reported finding Green Cheese.

Proponent: No one has ever definitively proven that the Moon ISN'T made of
Green Cheese.

And there are 2 'camps' both of which have radicals.One side says the Moon is
ALL Green Cheese and the other (also totally radical) says there is NO Green
Cheese on the Moon. Obviously the "truth" lies somewhere in the middle if you
have a "debate."

So the proponents say. What is so interesting in this faux debate is that the
'truth' of this matter doesn't require a trip to the Moon. All it needs is one
proponent somewhere, anywhere to demonstrate that "amps ain't amps" or "wires
ain't wires" with controls to eliminate known listening bias mechanisms.

Just once, under conditions that can be duplicated, would do it. But in 30+
years of argument no one has. In my 25+ years of truth-soul searching I haven't
found amp/wire/parts sound and believe me I've tried.

During that time I've been called any number of unpleasant things, been
accused of any number of un-ethical opinions yet I've never witnessed a single
human demonstrate an ability to hear nominally competent amplifiers or wires
when even moderate bias controls were implemented.

Never ONCE. Yet I've been called a radical on one end. So the "truth" must be
somewhere in the middle because radicals like myself HAVE to be on the opposite
end of a spectrum where noTWO amplifiers have ever sounded the same ....ever.

So take your pick either M Kuller who has never met two amplifiers that sound
the same or Me who has never seen anybody show that any two reasonably
competent amplifiers will sound different unless driven into clipping.

Mr Kuller seems to be driving to compromise here. A few days ago he never heard
any two ampliifers that didn't sound different but NOW the truth lies somewhere
in between.

So which is it? Do ALL amplifiers sound different or don't they?

Mkuller

(Nousaine) wrote:
snip
So the proponents say. What is so interesting in this faux debate is that the
'truth' of this matter doesn't require a trip to the Moon. All it needs is
one
proponent somewhere, anywhere to demonstrate that "amps ain't amps" or "wires
ain't wires" with controls to eliminate known listening bias mechanisms.

Unfortunately, your mechanism for controlling bias does not appear to be
sensitive enough to detect subtle audible details. The threshold of audibility
with pink noise appears to be 1.75dB loudness differences and much greater than
that for music (Greenhill).

Just once, under conditions that can be duplicated, would do it. But in 30+
years of argument no one has. In my 25+ years of truth-soul searching I
haven't
found amp/wire/parts sound and believe me I've tried.

Obviously, you believe in your method and refuse to consider the possibility
(much less the fact) that it doesn't work for what you are using it for.

During that time I've been called any number of unpleasant things, been
accused of any number of un-ethical opinions yet I've never witnessed a
single
human demonstrate an ability to hear nominally competent amplifiers or wires
when even moderate bias controls were implemented.

I believe you are honorable and well meaning, but blinded by your belieif
system as are many of your colleagues. Then there are others who I would
characterize as not so well meaning...

Never ONCE. Yet I've been called a radical on one end. So the "truth" must be
somewhere in the middle because radicals like myself HAVE to be on the
opposite
end of a spectrum where noTWO amplifiers have ever sounded the same ....ever.

Like I said - you believe what you believe and use methods that continue to
confirm your beliefs without questioning them.

So take your pick either M Kuller who has never met two amplifiers that sound
the same or Me who has never seen anybody show that any two reasonably
competent amplifiers will sound different unless driven into clipping.

Mr Kuller seems to be driving to compromise here. A few days ago he never
heard
any two ampliifers that didn't sound different but NOW the truth lies
somewhere
in between.

So which is it? Do ALL amplifiers sound different or don't they?

There may be two amplifiers somewhere that sound the same; I'll give you that.
By saying the the truth is somewhere in between, I'm giving you the benefit of
the doubt, sometting your side seems reluctant to do - realizing that further
proof is necessary to settle this matter. Otherwise we would not be having
this discussion ad nauseum.
Regards,
Mike

Nousaine

[Moderator's note: This thread is drifting into repeating the same old
DBT debate, say something new or don't bother to post. -- deb ]

(Mkuller) wrote:

(Nousaine) wrote:

snip
So the proponents say. What is so interesting in this faux debate is that

the
'truth' of this matter doesn't require a trip to the Moon. All it needs is
one
proponent somewhere, anywhere to demonstrate that "amps ain't amps" or

"wires
ain't wires" with controls to eliminate known listening bias mechanisms.

Unfortunately, your mechanism for controlling bias does not appear to be
sensitive enough to detect subtle audible details.

You mean that placing a cloth over amplifer or speaker terminals reduces
listener sensitivity? In the same system using the same programs where the
original "differences" were observed?

I've tried several different protocols (including the one just described) and
still subjects were unable to verify that they could actually "hear" amps/wires
when nothing more than the identity of the device driving the speakers was
removed by simply covering the output/input terminals so that one couldn't
simply tell with casual observation which unit was in-system.

The threshold of
audibility
with pink noise appears to be 1.75dB loudness differences and much greater
than
that for music (Greenhill).

With music the threshold for trained listeners using loudspeakers is generally
about 2 dB IME.

Just once, under conditions that can be duplicated, would do it. But in 30+
years of argument no one has. In my 25+ years of truth-soul searching I
haven't
found amp/wire/parts sound and believe me I've tried.

Obviously, you believe in your method and refuse to consider the possibility
(much less the fact) that it doesn't work for what you are using it for.

I have never used a single protocol/method. I've accomodated every reasonable
objection (short of eliminating bias controls) and yet not one subject has ever
demonstrated an ability to hear nominally competent amplifiers or wires over
loudspeakers in a normally reverberant environment with even the most nominal
of bias controls (such as a cloth placed over I/O terminals.)

During that time I've been called any number of unpleasant things, been
accused of any number of un-ethical opinions yet I've never witnessed a
single
human demonstrate an ability to hear nominally competent amplifiers or wires
when even moderate bias controls were implemented.

I believe you are honorable and well meaning, but blinded by your belieif
system as are many of your colleagues.

With regard to sound quality decisions I have no "belief" system only a working
knowledge of normal human bias with regard to acoustical sound (you'll get
quality ranking and description when subjects hear an identical program twice)
and a set of techniques for reducing and eliminating bias. And I'm not afraid
of finding the truth about what sounds and what doesn't.

Then there are others who I would
characterize as not so well meaning...

Never ONCE. Yet I've been called a radical on one end. So the "truth" must

be
somewhere in the middle because radicals like myself HAVE to be on the
opposite
end of a spectrum where noTWO amplifiers have ever sounded the same

....ever.

Like I said - you believe what you believe and use methods that continue to
confirm your beliefs without questioning them.

I have questioned everything about my techniques (and yours.) That's imperative
in getting to the truth of the matter.

So take your pick either M Kuller who has never met two amplifiers that

sound
the same or Me who has never seen anybody show that any two reasonably
competent amplifiers will sound different unless driven into clipping.

Mr Kuller seems to be driving to compromise here. A few days ago he never
heard
any two ampliifers that didn't sound different but NOW the truth lies
somewhere
in between.

So which is it? Do ALL amplifiers sound different or don't they?

There may be two amplifiers somewhere that sound the same; I'll give you
that.

But you've personally never seen any two that do? How fortunate I must be to
have stumbled on a dozen of them all by myself.

By saying the the truth is somewhere in between, I'm giving you the benefit
of
the doubt, sometting your side seems reluctant to do - realizing that further
proof is necessary to settle this matter. Otherwise we would not be having
this discussion ad nauseum.
Regards,
Mike

Actually we are having this discussion because your side has never been able to
demonstrate your point when asked to figurately close your eyes when
demonstrating same. In spite of having no replicable evidence to support your
case you have to resort to debate.

Just give me some proof and I'll gladly agree with you.

Buster Mudd

(Nousaine) wrote in message news:4peQb.3852$U%5.23198@attbi_s03...

Proponent: The Moon ismade of Green Cheese;

Antagonist: There's no evidence to support that assertion

Proponent: No one has ever proven that the Moon isn't made of Green Cheese.

Antagonist: The landings on the Moon have never reported finding Green Cheese.

Proponent: No one has ever definitively proven that the Moon ISN'T made of
Green Cheese.

You forgot about the part where the Proponent claims: No one has ever
definitively proven that the landings on the Moon weren't a hoax
fabricated by the government.

So the proponents say. What is so interesting in this faux debate is that the
'truth' of this matter doesn't require a trip to the Moon. All it needs is one
proponent somewhere, anywhere to demonstrate that "amps ain't amps" or "wires
ain't wires" with controls to eliminate known listening bias mechanisms.

Your mixing of metaphors has me perplexed; exactly how WOULD one prove
beyond a shadow of a doubt the Moon either was or wasn't made of green
cheese without actually taking a trip to the moon?

During that time I've been called any number of unpleasant things, been
accused of any number of un-ethical opinions yet I've never witnessed a single
human demonstrate an ability to hear nominally competent amplifiers or wires
when even moderate bias controls were implemented.

I don't know about wires, but by this reasoning the list of
commercially available power amps that falls squarely into the
"incompetant" camp is huge.
Mkuller

(Mkuller) wrote:
(Nousaine) wrote:
You mean that placing a cloth over amplifer or speaker terminals reduces
listener sensitivity? In the same system using the same programs where the
original "differences" were observed?

Yes. This is the single biggest problem with open-ended blind listening tests
- verifying , not just *assuming* it is as sensitive in detecting audible
differences as sighted listening.

It seems like this should be easy to do. Say, start with volume differences
that can be measured and compare the two methods. Then try try some
measureable frequency response differences and verify the two types of
listening have the same sensitivity.

Because blind listening requires a 'remember/compare/match/decide/chose'
process where sighted listening only requires 'remember/compare', I suspect
blind listening is less sensitive. I can't prove it - can you prove me wrong?
Until there is verification, all we have is speculation.
Regards,
Mike

Stewart Pinkerton

On 24 Jan 2004 17:05:38 GMT, (Buster Mudd) wrote:

(Nousaine) wrote in message news:4peQb.3852$U%5.23198@attbi_s03...

Proponent: The Moon ismade of Green Cheese;

Antagonist: There's no evidence to support that assertion

Proponent: No one has ever proven that the Moon isn't made of Green Cheese.

Antagonist: The landings on the Moon have never reported finding Green Cheese.

Proponent: No one has ever definitively proven that the Moon ISN'T made of
Green Cheese.

You forgot about the part where the Proponent claims: No one has ever
definitively proven that the landings on the Moon weren't a hoax
fabricated by the government.

Indeed so, just as no one has ever proven the non-existence of the one
person on the face of the Earth who can hear 'cable sound'. However, I
think we know where to place the bets..............

So the proponents say. What is so interesting in this faux debate is that the
'truth' of this matter doesn't require a trip to the Moon. All it needs is one
proponent somewhere, anywhere to demonstrate that "amps ain't amps" or "wires
ain't wires" with controls to eliminate known listening bias mechanisms.

Your mixing of metaphors has me perplexed; exactly how WOULD one prove
beyond a shadow of a doubt the Moon either was or wasn't made of green
cheese without actually taking a trip to the moon?

You may be missing the point that he's moved on to discussing wires
and amps, which don't require a trip to the Moon.

During that time I've been called any number of unpleasant things, been
accused of any number of un-ethical opinions yet I've never witnessed a single
human demonstrate an ability to hear nominally competent amplifiers or wires
when even moderate bias controls were implemented.

I don't know about wires, but by this reasoning the list of
commercially available power amps that falls squarely into the
"incompetant" camp is huge.

This is mostly true of so-called 'high end' amps, which can be totally
weird in concept and construction, but in the mainstream, there is an
equally huge list of commercially available amps which *do* sound the
same in almost all domestic systems.

Keith Hughes

Mkuller wrote:

(Nousaine) wrote:
You mean that placing a cloth over amplifer or speaker terminals reduces
listener sensitivity? In the same system using the same programs where the
original "differences" were observed?

Yes.

By what *possible* mechanism could this be true? If *all* other
factors remain constant (all processes, procedures, environmental
parameters, etc.), as Tom is alluding to, lack of a priori
"identification information" is the only difference introduced.
That cannot affect your listening sensitivity, as it is completely
disconnected from that sense.

snip

Because blind listening requires a 'remember/compare/match/decide/chose'
process where sighted listening only requires 'remember/compare', I suspect
blind listening is less sensitive.

Again, as Tom seemed to be clearly suggesting above, the *only*
difference is knowledge of what's actually connected. The physical
test/comparison/evaluation process and procedure is identical. The
room, testee, procedure, equipment, and ambient conditions are
used are identical. Where *could* a difference arise?

I can't prove it - can you prove me wrong?
Until there is verification, all we have is speculation.

No, we have simple logic as well. I, for one, cannot find a
logical explanation for why, for eg., a cloth over the speaker
terminals can affect either acoustic performance, or perceptual
acuity.

As to training, why would that be necessary in this specific
situation? Truly, if *you* for example, can identify a clear
difference between, say two speaker cables, in an open-ended
sighted evaluation, you clearly *have* whatever training is
required for such discrimination. Now, if you postulate that when
you cover the terminals, leaving *ALL* other parameters constant,
and the difference is no longer identifiable, training cannot,
logically, be a constraint. Nor can sensitivity, nor test-related
stress (they're both tests remember), nor any other factor I can
think of. What mechanism would you postulate?

Keith Hughes
Stewart Pinkerton

(Mkuller) wrote:
(Nousaine) wrote:
[...]

There is of course one fatal flaw which instantly dismisses sighted
listening for any serious audio comparisons:

You can easily demonstrate clear audible differences in a sighted
test, without actually changing *anything* in the physical soundfield.
You might call that 'ultimate sensitivity', I call it a crock!

S888Wheel

ve.
IOW, like I said. There are bigger and more important
anti-science foes for scientists and debunkers to fight,
than the ill-informed belief systems of a small cadre of
audio hobbyists. The job of 'debunking' should be performed by
the audio press.

Debunking power crystals and Lockness Monsters is more important?

Nousaine

(Mkuller) wrote:
(Nousaine) wrote:
You mean that placing a cloth over amplifer or speaker terminals reduces
listener sensitivity? In the same system using the same programs where the
original "differences" were observed?

Yes. This is the single biggest problem with open-ended blind listening
tests
- verifying , not just *assuming* it is as sensitive in detecting audible
differences as sighted listening.

In the case I described above there were no differences OTHER than the answers
were not available with casual visual inspection. IF the real difference had
acoustical basis there is no other explanation except that the 'differences'
observed were not-based on the 'sound' of the products.

Subject sensitivity to sound has been extensively researched over the decades
by Bell Labs, the hearing industry and the NRC using bias-controlled listening
tests to ensure that the effects being 'heard' were limited to sound and not
confounding variables such as common human bias mechanisms.

It seems like this should be easy to do. Say, start with volume differences
that can be measured and compare the two methods. Then try try some
measureable frequency response differences and verify the two types of
listening have the same sensitivity.

Actually my example clearly shows that blind listening tests are deliciously
in-sensitive to non-sonic factors.

Because blind listening requires a 'remember/compare/match/decide/chose'
process where sighted listening only requires 'remember/compare', I suspect
blind listening is less sensitive.

I don't see any difference between the decision-making process other than
un-bias controlled "listening" may often (perhaps usually) may not even
require the listening part.

I can't prove it - can you prove me
wrong?

If you can't prove this conjecture why does anyone need to "unprove" it?

Until there is verification, all we have is speculation.
Regards,
Mike

This is the gestalt of the subectivist agrument. If they can't provide any
evidence they want others to assume there is no evidence of any kind extant and
therefore the answers must be reached through debate.
normanstrong

(Mkuller) wrote:
(Nousaine) wrote:
[...]

Let's suppose, just for the sake of argument, that we wish to evaluate
cables. This will be a sighted evaluation, since you don't believe in
blind tests. We'll use your system, and connect the new cables in
front of your very eyes. But before the test, we put a blanket over
the cables so you can't actually see them while under test. The
question is: Is this now a sighted test, and will you accept the
results as valid?

Norm Strong

Steven Sullivan

S888Wheel wrote:
ve.
IOW, like I said. There are bigger and more important
anti-science foes for scientists and debunkers to fight,
than the ill-informed belief systems of a small cadre of
audio hobbyists. The job of 'debunking' should be performed by
the audio press.

Debunking power crystals and Lockness Monsters is more important?

Both have far more currency in the mainstream media than the myths
that audiophiles believe. Like I said, you don't see TV specials
about the wonders of green pens.

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director

Keith Hughes

Mkuller wrote:

snip

Keith Hughes wrote:
Again, as Tom seemed to be clearly suggesting above, the *only*
difference is knowledge of what's actually connected. The physical
test/comparison/evaluation process and procedure is identical.

No, they aren't.

In what way do they differ?

The
room, testee, procedure, equipment, and ambient conditions are
used are identical. Where *could* a difference arise?

The difference *could* arise because the brain function process involved in the
two tests are different. The part that is common to both - "remember/compare"
is relaxed listening (right brain), not decision-making (left brain). In the
blind test the "match/decide/chose" takes part in another part of the brain
while audible memory is quickly fading.

Of course there is the same decision making involved in both
tests, how could there not be? You determined a difference with
sighted listening (that's the a priori assumption of the entire
argument - if it weren't, the results of both sighted *and* blind
would be null, and there's no disagreement). That *REQUIRES* a
same/different decision. You throw on the blanket, then make the
*exact* same comparison, without foreknowledge, and use the *exact
same* decision making process.

So...again, please point out *any* supposed differences in the
approach other than foreknowledge.

So where are the *verification* tests showing blind and sighted listening with
music have the same sensitivity to detect real audible differences?

Once again, where is the justification for "supposing" that,
notwithstanding the lack of foreknowledge, the blind test
described *in any way* differs from the sighted test? You need to
identify some parameter(s) in which the tests actually differ
before verification of "same-ness" (or identical sensitivity)
could possibly be an issue.

Keith Hughes

normanstrong

"Mkuller" wrote in message
Mkuller wrote:

So where are the *verification* tests showing blind and sighted

listening with
music have the same sensitivity to detect real audible differences?

I would certainly like to supply that proof. First, however, we have
to formulate a hypothesis as to what it is about sighted listening
that makes it more sensitive--if indeed it is. Is it the ability to
actually see the interconnect, or just knowing what one you're
listening to? Or is there something else required?

If I substituted a set of Acme model 76-2 interconnects for the ones
you are currently using, can you properly evaluate them--sighted of
course? Or do you have to be familiar with the manufacturer and his
reputation in order to properly evaluate the sound of his cables?
Will reading Acme's brochure do the trick? Maybe that still isn't
enough; maybe you have to know the MSRP of the cables before you can
do a good job?

This is a serious question. I'd really like to pin this thing down;
I'd like to hear from Mr. Kuller on this issue.

Norm Strong

S888Wheel

Both have far more currency in the mainstream media than the myths
that audiophiles believe. Like I said, you don't see TV specials
about the wonders of green pens.

Actually I do see TV programs that are dedicated to busting myths and urban
legends some of which are so obscure I have never heard of them. Maybe you have
seen the show. they like to blow things up.
Mkuller

(Nousaine) wrote:
In the case I described above there were no differences OTHER than the
answers
were not available with casual visual inspection. IF the real difference had
acoustical basis there is no other explanation except that the 'differences'
observed were not-based on the 'sound' of the products.

How about the sensitivity of the program source being different with the two
tests.

nousaine
Subject sensitivity to sound has been extensively researched over the decades
by Bell Labs, the hearing industry and the NRC using bias-controlled
listening
tests to ensure that the effects being 'heard' were limited to sound and not
confounding variables such as common human bias mechanisms.

Right. And these sensitivity tests were performed close-ended to verify the
sensitivity. For example, an artifact is added to an audible source program at
different levels, say pink noise. Subjects are trained to recognize it, then
are able to identify it down to say 2dB. Now contrast this with an open-ended
audio component comparison. Two amplifiers are compared playing Vivaldi's
"Rite of Spring" as a source. In sighted listening differences are identified.
In blind listening, the panelists were not reliably able to identify the
correct amplifier as 'X'. One of the six panelist had a higher score within
the confidence limits, but when averaged, the results fell below confidence.
Were there really audible differences? How can you verify the test using that
program was sensitive enough to show them? The two amplifiers use different
designs and have measured differences, but the test results are null.

mkuller
It seems like this should be easy to do. Say, start with volume differences
that can be measured and compare the two methods. Then try try some
measureable frequency response differences and verify the two types of
listening have the same sensitivity.

nousaine
Actually my example clearly shows that blind listening tests are deliciously
in-sensitive to non-sonic factors.

mkuller
Because blind listening requires a 'remember/compare/match/decide/chose'
process where sighted listening only requires 'remember/compare', I suspect
blind listening is less sensitive.

nousaine
I don't see any difference between the decision-making process other than
un-bias controlled "listening" may often (perhaps usually) may not even
require the listening part.

In sighted listening, there is no 'X' to identify, the only functions are
'remember/compare'.
In a blind test you are required to 'match/chose/decide', in addition. That is
THE difference.

mkuller
I can't prove it - can you prove me
wrong?

nousaine
If you can't prove this conjecture why does anyone need to "unprove" it?

mkuller
Until there is verification, all we have is speculation.

nousaine
This is the gestalt of the subectivist agrument. If they can't provide any
evidence they want others to assume there is no evidence of any kind extant
and
therefore the answers must be reached through debate.

And this is different from the objectivist arguement how?
Regards,
Mike

Steven Sullivan

S888Wheel wrote:
Both have far more currency in the mainstream media than the myths
that audiophiles believe. Like I said, you don't see TV specials
about the wonders of green pens.

Actually I do see TV programs that are dedicated to busting myths and urban
legends some of which are so obscure I have never heard of them. Maybe you have
seen the show. they like to blow things up.

--

Mythbusters is new...maybe they will get around to cables, when they
exhaust the usual suspects. Won't make for very exciting TV, though.

And of course I didnt' say that skeptics have *never* examined audiophile
myths. The green pen hoax has an entry on snopes.com, for example.
Skeptical Inquirer has dealt with high-end audio pseudoscience too
(see http://www.hutch.demon.co.uk/lewindex.htm for references)

And this page compiles lots of audio mythbusting info on that's
the web:

http://2eyespy.tripod.com/myaudioand...epage/id3.html

__

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director

Andrew Korsh

Hi,

Thanks for all your very informative answers to my original
question.Please can't we end this thread now,as it's becoming another
rather pointless argument over the validity of double blind
testing.Frankly rather boring as well.Neither side will convince the
other of the wrong-headedness of their ways.

Thanks,
Andy

[ Moderator's note: I agree, it's getting repetitive again, so it's
ended. -- deb ]
Mkuller

(Mkuller) wrote:
playing Vivaldi's"Rite of Spring"

No wonder they couldn't identify the differences....
Sorry, that's 'Spring' from Vivaldi's "Four Seasons".
Regards,
Mike

Nousaine

(Nousaine) wrote:
In the case I described above there were no differences OTHER than the
answers
were not available with casual visual inspection. IF the real difference had
acoustical basis there is no other explanation except that the 'differences'
observed were not-based on the 'sound' of the products.

How about the sensitivity of the program source being different with the two
tests.

Subjects used the SAME programs they initially used to establish 'differences'
in the amp/wire cases. In the serial tweek experiments subjects brought their
own 'highly regarded as uncovering difference" programs and were given a
warm-up period as long as needed to establish if there were differences being
perceived.

On the other hand, I cannot verify differences that are inaudible to me no
matter how hard I try, which is what you seem to want someone to do. That was
why I was willing to pay my own expenses to verify differences claimed by
strong proponents actually existed. It's simply not my problem that listeners
who claim "differences" have never been able to demonstrate they exist under
even the most favorable of bias-controlled conditions (reference systems,
reference programs, single listener choosing position, nothing for bias control
except opague cloth over IO terminals. )

I use a compilation of 63 tracks selected specifically because they identify
common system errors for all my professional listening evaluation (several
hundred home speaker products and systems, several hundred OEM autosound
systems and several hundred aftermarket autosound systems) so that I have
common program material for EVERY evaluation which by itself helps level
playing fields.

nousaine
Subject sensitivity to sound has been extensively researched over the

decades
by Bell Labs, the hearing industry and the NRC using bias-controlled
listening
tests to ensure that the effects being 'heard' were limited to sound and not
confounding variables such as common human bias mechanisms.

Right. And these sensitivity tests were performed close-ended to verify the
sensitivity. For example, an artifact is added to an audible source program
at
different levels, say pink noise. Subjects are trained to recognize it, then
are able to identify it down to say 2dB.

Sure and those thresholds have been related to specific acoustical conditions
and so far no one has ever identified conditons where measurable level,
response and dynamic limitations were not directly tied to true audibility.

Now contrast this with an open-ended
audio component comparison. Two amplifiers are compared playing Vivaldi's
"Rite of Spring" as a source. In sighted listening differences are
identified.
In blind listening, the panelists were not reliably able to identify the
correct amplifier as 'X'. One of the six panelist had a higher score within
the confidence limits, but when averaged, the results fell below confidence.

This condition has never occured in any set of listener scores that I've
analyzed.

Were there really audible differences? How can you verify the test using
that
program was sensitive enough to show them? The two amplifiers use different
designs and have measured differences, but the test results are null.

If the measured difference lie above the threshold of human hearing they will
be heard. The idea that statistical averaging hides sensitive listeners is just
a red-herring. That just doesn't happen. In tests where one or two listeners
have significant scores the overall score has been positive as well.

mkuller
It seems like this should be easy to do. Say, start with volume

differences
that can be measured and compare the two methods. Then try try some
measureable frequency response differences and verify the two types of
listening have the same sensitivity.

And you think this hasn't been done? Toole /Li****z and Vanderkooy have spent a
good share of their careers doing this threshold work.

nousaine
Actually my example clearly shows that blind listening tests are deliciously
in-sensitive to non-sonic factors.

mkuller
Because blind listening requires a 'remember/compare/match/decide/chose'
process where sighted listening only requires 'remember/compare', I suspect
blind listening is less sensitive.

nousaine
I don't see any difference between the decision-making process other than
un-bias controlled "listening" may often (perhaps usually) may not even
require the listening part.

In sighted listening, there is no 'X' to identify, the only functions are
'remember/compare'.
In a blind test you are required to 'match/chose/decide', in addition. That
is
THE difference.

You still have to choose or grade. There's no extra work.

mkuller
I can't prove it - can you prove me
wrong?

nousaine
If you can't prove this conjecture why does anyone need to "unprove" it?

mkuller
Until there is verification, all we have is speculation.

nousaine
This is the gestalt of the subectivist agrument. If they can't provide any
evidence they want others to assume there is no evidence of any kind extant
and
therefore the answers must be reached through debate.

And this is different from the objectivist arguement how?
Regards,
Mike

Because I've traveled thousands of miles trying to find anyone who can verify
that he/she can "hear" amps/cables that fall below the known measurable
threshold limits. To verify those differences and yet I've not found one that
can under conditions that are exactly the same as where differences were
claimed with the minir exception that one was asked to prove it with another
party watching.

I don't need to "debate" whether a given amp/cable sound exists I have evidence
that supports my opinions.

Mkuller

(Nousaine) wrote:
This condition has never occured in any set of listener scores that I've
analyzed.

Selective memory? What about the most famous and one of the only published
audio comparison blind tests - Greenhill, 1991, with speaker cables?

[...]

Now we're getting somewhere. Can you provide me a reference where they
veriified *the sensitivity of a sighted test using music is the same as a blind
test using the same program*?

nousaine
[...]

If you are saying there is no difference between the two types of tests in the
types of brain functions involved, you are either in denial or missing an
important part here.
Regards,
Mike

Bob Marcus

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Bob Marcus" wrote in message

Furthermore, a sighted test always involves several different parts of

the
brain, because you're using your eyes, as well as your memory of
everything
you have ever heard, read, or thought about the products you are
comparing.
To claim that sighted listening is more sensitive because it involves
fewer
parts of the brain or less mental processing simply runs counter to the
facts. It is LESS sensitive precisely because it involves MORE

processing
in
MORE parts of the brain.

Bob-

Would you care to restate that as an opinion or an hypothesis?

No, I would not. Expectation bias is an established fact, Harry. And it
occurs precisely because the brain is simultaneously processing loads of
non-sonic information at the same time that it is trying to come to a
conclusion about the sonic information. Eliminate the sources of non-sonic
information, and you create a far more accurate test.

bob

High-speed users—be more efficient online with the new MSN Premium Internet

Mkuller

"Bob Marcus" wrote :
Furthermore, a sighted test always involves several different parts of

the
brain, because you're using your eyes, as well as your memory of
everything
you have ever heard, read, or thought about the products you are
comparing.
To claim that sighted listening is more sensitive because it involves
fewer
parts of the brain or less mental processing simply runs counter to the
facts. It is LESS sensitive precisely because it involves MORE

processing
in
MORE parts of the brain.

This is just plain wrong - how did you arrive at this conclusion?

Harry Lavo wrote:
Would you care to restate that as an opinion or an hypothesis?

No, I would not. Expectation bias is an established fact, Harry.

Yes, it is. OK so far.

And it
occurs precisely because the brain is simultaneously processing loads of
non-sonic information at the same time that it is trying to come to a
conclusion about the sonic information.

That's an interesting conclusion - I would have thought it was due to listener
*expectations* of two different audible stimuli being different. In fact, in a
blind test where nothing is changed, aren't differences usually identified?
Any evidence for your statement?
Regards,
Mike

Bob Marcus

Harry Lavo wrote:
Would you care to restate that as an opinion or an hypothesis?

No, I would not. Expectation bias is an established fact, Harry.

Yes, it is. OK so far.

And it
occurs precisely because the brain is simultaneously processing loads of
non-sonic information at the same time that it is trying to come to a
conclusion about the sonic information.

That's an interesting conclusion - I would have thought it was due to
listener
*expectations* of two different audible stimuli being different.

And those expectations result from the non-sonic information--seeing the
cables, or having formed a prior impression of them. Don't take the word
"expectation" literally, here. It doesn't require a conscious pre-judgment.
Indeed, many people who have consciously "expected" two things to sound the
same have perceived them differently in a listening test (and reported so
here). That doesn't mean they weren't affected by expectation bias. This
bias rears its ugly head subconsicously *during* the listening test.

I think the best way to understand this is to think of the brain as
synthesizing all of the information it has available to it--what you see,
what you hear, what you've read or heard about the product in the past--at
the time you are conducting the comparison. Most of the time in life,
synthesizing available information is exactly what you want your brain to
do. Listening comparisons may be one of the rare cases where you don't want
that synthesis--you want your brain to respond based solely on what you hear
at that moment. Alas, the survival of our primate ancestors did not depend
on the ability to isolate information from a single sensory organ, so it
wasn't a skill we developed.

In fact, in a
blind test where nothing is changed, aren't differences usually identified?

I'd say "often," not "usually," since I can't say it happens more or less
than 50% of the time. (Tom N. may have better data on this.) Again, this is
expectation bias, based on the non-sonic "knowledge" that something *has*
changed. Your brain has two conflicting pieces of information: the sound,
which we agree is identical from A to B; and the belief that a different
mechanism is making the sound. Not surprisingly, your brain produces
conflicting results in that case. Note that this phenomenon occurs even in
sighted listening, when someone fails to flip a switch. Several people here
have testified to that experience.

bob

http://wine.msn.com/
Harry Lavo

"Bob Marcus" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:

"Bob Marcus" wrote in message

[...]

I take it then that there is no neurological support for your claim?