Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

Default Vinyl colorations, inherent, euphonic and inherent euphonic.

On Oct 31, 8:37�pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Sonnova" wrote in message

Nobody disputes that vinyl has "inherent technical
problems", After all, vinyl playback involves a
transducer and several different mechanical processes.
The amazing thing is that a good record can sound so
astonishingly real. Admittedly, such records are few and
far between, but the best can sound significantly more
real than a CD of the same performance.

Two words: Bad mastering. There is zero technical justification for a LP to
*ever* sound better or even as good as a CD.

But, the human factor is unavoidable - nothing �prevents people from doing
crazy or stupid or even just lazy things during tracking and mastering,
regardless of the delivery medium.

Which of these CDs would you say were badly mastered?
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...cart=793517002
http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1230801/a/Moanin'+(Blue+Note).htm
http://www.tower.com/mudcrutch-mudcr...wapi/111980258
http://www.amazon.com/Sunday-Village.../dp/B000000Y87
http://www.amazon.com/Raising-Robert.../dp/B000UMQDHC

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
mcdonaldREMOVE TO ACTUALLY REACH [email protected] mcdonaldREMOVE TO ACTUALLY REACH ME@scs.uiuc.edu is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

(2) Digital music downloads, which seem to be taking market share away from
the CD even though they can never sound better, all other things being
equal.

It's not quite true that MP3s can't sound better than the absolute best CD.
It's not quite true that CDs are perfect.

First, the CD does have an audible limitation in frequency response. Now
I can't comment, at this time, on the effect of that, because I'm 63 years old
and can't hear above 14 kHZ. BUT ... when I was a teenage audiophile
(we did exist back then!) I could hear quite well to 22 kHZ and even a bit
farther out, to 23 kHz. I'd be will it suggest that a bunch of
teenage audiophiles today (never having been to a rock concert, of course,
or a terrorist bombing) could tell the difference between
a 20 kHZ cutoff and a 23 kHZ one, on suitable material (e.g. cymbals,
triangle, etc.) MP3s are capable of higher frequencies than CDs are.

Also, MP3s are capable of larger dynamic range than are CDs. Unless played
loud enough to soon ruin the hearing above 20 kHz, and in a really really
quiet room, I, like Arny, doubt that a CD is inadequate even for the
widest dynamic range of real music (e.g. Mahler 2nd or 8th symphonies,
not volume compressed.) But if the CD is in fact inadequate, the MP3
would do OK. That's assuming that 320 kB/sec is "OK".

I've used "MP3" as synonymous for "digital download" ... but of course,
there ARE losslessly encoded downloads that can be more than 16 bit, more than
44.1 kHZ sampling.

Let me emphasize that I am not claiming that **I** can hear the difference ...
I can't. I make my own MP3s with a 14 kHz cutoff at VBR at about 166 to 180
kB/sec and they sound perfect to me, compared to the source.

Doug McDonald
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 07:23:53 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message

Premium records made on 180 or 200 gram virgin vinyl are
very quiet (-56 to -60 dB), and careful handling and
storage can keep them that way.

Trouble is that just about every live performance of classical music has
more like 65 dB dynamic range, and some go up into the 80s.

That's true, but in most domestic situations that kind of dynamic range is
impractical. Turn it up loud enough to hear the soft passages well and the
fffs will be lease breakers. Limited dynamic range is really not the problem
some of you make it out to be.

It is a rule of thumb that the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) must at all times
at least be positive, for there to be an effective listening situation. If
the actual sound level is very low, then SNRs of as low as 10 dB can be
permissible.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 07:30:56 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"C. Leeds" wrote in message

For example, Mr. Krueger

wrote:

It has always been true that the CD format can deliver
an audibly perfect copy of the master tapes.

With that as the basis of a belief system, comparison to
any other media is virtually doomed. Nothing can be
better than "audibly perfect," can it?

The logical error here is that a medium need not be better than "audibly
perfect" in order to succeed.

Two counter-examples come to mind

(1) Pre-recorded cassettes which were very sucessful at taking market share
away from the LP even though as a rule they did not sound better.

(2) Digital music downloads, which seem to be taking market share away from
the CD even though they can never sound better, all other things being
equal.

The logical error is symptomatic the narrow idea that "sounding better" as
the only chance that a medium has to survive. A person who makes this error
cannot comprehend that other properties, such as being more convenient, can
matter to a great many people. They will assert to their dying day that
whatever medium they prefer *must* sound better.

Most people don't care about quality -in anything. That includes good, or
even accurate sound (not always the same thing).
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 18:54:17 -0700, Jenn wrote
(in article ):

In article ,
Richard Tollerton wrote:

Anecdotally, I've heard of people getting 50% defect rates on the
Classics they buy. That said, I've also heard of a lot of people with
no defective discs, or a very small number.

Count me among the later. I have 12 Classic LPs, and have had no
problems. Perhaps I'm just lucky. In fact, I've had no problems among
any of the modern "audiophile" lablels...Classic, Speakers Corner, et
al. Nor have I ever had any problems with "audiophile" LPs of a little
older vintage... Reference, Chesky, Opus 3, et al.

All of the Classic Records titles that I have purchased (at $60+ a pop for
the single-sided, 45 RPM Classics) have been very high quality.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 20:37:23 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message

Nobody disputes that vinyl has "inherent technical
problems", After all, vinyl playback involves a
transducer and several different mechanical processes.
The amazing thing is that a good record can sound so
astonishingly real. Admittedly, such records are few and
far between, but the best can sound significantly more
real than a CD of the same performance.

Two words: Bad mastering. There is zero technical justification for a LP to
*ever* sound better or even as good as a CD.

But, the human factor is unavoidable - nothing prevents people from doing
crazy or stupid or even just lazy things during tracking and mastering,
regardless of the delivery medium.

I don't buy that. I have a number of single-sided, 45 RPM Classic Records LPs
of old RCA Victor Red Seal, and Mercury Living Presence recordings that sound
better than the CDs or the more recently mastered SACDs of these
performances. The CDs of the Mercury recordings were mastered by Wilma Cozert
Fine, the recordings' original producer and are advertised to sound exactly
like the master tape. But the CLassic Records LPs sound MUCH better. Even you
would agree if you heard both side-by-side. I recently bought the newly
mastered SACD of this same title to see if they did a better job this time
and it sounds just exactly like the older CD release. The same thing is true
of the RCA Victor reissues on CD and later on SACD. None sound as good as the
Classic Records LPs.

I don't doubt that the CDs sound more like the master tape than do the
Classic Records reissues on vinyl, but the records sound more like I remember
a live performance sounding (and since I record a lot, I know what live
performances sound like). To me this is about the illusion of having a real
performance in my own living room. Anything that gets me closer to that
illusion is, in my humble opinion, good, and accuracy be damned. If I can
have both, I'll take that too. I'm going to go for the source that is the
most musically satisfying - every time. If that's CD, then it's CD, if its LP
in some cases, then so be it. And in SOME cases it IS LP, despite your
protestations to the contrary.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Sonnova" wrote in message

[...]

I'd bet money that if we did a good digital transcription of those oldies,
you'd like the transcriptions just as much in a bias-controlled evaluation.

The CDs of the Mercury recordings were
mastered by Wilma Cozert Fine, the recordings' original
producer and are advertised to sound exactly like the
master tape.

She ain't the same lady who was there when they were recorded, and AFAIK she
didn't do the original mastering all by herself.

But the CLassic Records LPs sound MUCH
better.

Mastering is a profound enough process that its powers can explain all that
and more.

Even you would agree if you heard both
side-by-side. I recently bought the newly mastered SACD
of this same title to see if they did a better job this
time and it sounds just exactly like the older CD
release.

Hmmm. It might be the older CD release's master, transcribed onto new media.

The same thing is true of the RCA Victor
reissues on CD and later on SACD. None sound as good as
the Classic Records LPs.

I don't doubt that the CDs sound more like the master
tape than do the Classic Records reissues on vinyl, but
the records sound more like I remember a live performance
sounding (and since I record a lot, I know what live
performances sound like).

I disagree with that. I record a lot and I'm sure that I don't know squat
about most live performances sound like, other than perhaps the ones I
recorded. Furthermore, the live performances I've recorded have as many
distinct sounds as there are spots in the room where they were recorded,
that are more than about six feet apart.

To me this is about the
illusion of having a real performance in my own living
room.

I've never ever heard a recording sound like much more than a
semi-believable approximation of a live performance.

Anything that gets me closer to that illusion is,
in my humble opinion, good, and accuracy be damned.

The idea that the arbitrary twists and turns that recordings go through in
the production process can some how become closer because of the random
addition of the even more arbitrary twists and turns inherent in the LP
recording process surely taxes the imagination.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Sonnova" wrote in message

Premium records made on 180 or 200 gram virgin vinyl are
very quiet (-56 to -60 dB), and careful handling and
storage can keep them that way.

Trouble is that just about every live performance of
classical music has more like 65 dB dynamic range, and
some go up into the 80s.

That's true, but in most domestic situations that kind of
dynamic range is impractical.

I agree, but this is a high end audio forum, and hopefully we aren't talking
about listening to recordings in "most domestic situations".

Furthermore, while providing 80 dB dynamic range in a good listening room
can be challenging, providing 65 dB is not that much of a challenge.

Turn it up loud enough to
hear the soft passages well and the fffs will be lease
breakers. Limited dynamic range is really not the problem
some of you make it out to be.

Limited dynamic range can even be a boon if you are listening to a cheap
stereo and/or listening in a noisy room.

It is a rule of thumb that the signal-to-noise ratio
(SNR) must at all times at least be positive, for there
to be an effective listening situation. If the actual
sound level is very low, then SNRs of as low as 10 dB
can be permissible.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Sonnova" wrote in message

[...]

The Mercury Living Presence CD reissues were actually remastered by
Dennis Drake. Dennis Drake is a top flight mastering engineer and he
went to amazing lengths to do the best job he could on these CDs. Here
is a paper that documents the work he did on this project.
http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=6891
Unfortunately I can't find the article on line any more, It used to be
available on line for everyone to read. It documents the great lengths
Dennis went through to get a proper set up using vintage playback
equipment to get the most accurate signal from the master tapes. He
also went to great lengths to find the best A/D converter. He found
significant differences between competing converters at the time. It
required a tremendous effort to get a signal from the tapes that was
true to their original input and to get a near transparent transfer of
that signal to the CDs. It would seem that he needed to do more than
just press the start button. So we are indeed talking about CDs that
are about as well mastered as possible if one is looking for
transparency to the original mic feed.

I don't doubt that the CDs sound more like the master tape than do the
Classic Records reissues on vinyl, but the records sound more like I remember
a live performance sounding (and since I record a lot, I know what live
performances sound like). To me this is about the illusion of having a real
performance in my own living room. Anything that gets me closer to that
illusion is, in my humble opinion, good, and accuracy be damned. If I can
have both, I'll take that too. I'm going to go for the source that is the
most musically satisfying - every time. If that's CD, then it's CD, if its LP
in some cases, then so be it. And in SOME cases it IS LP, despite your
protestations to the contrary. �- Hide quoted text -

That is exactly my feeling about the aesthetic evaluation of playback
too. What it boils down to is one has to ask what is good sound? IMO
good sound is sound that makes the music more intrinsically beautiful
and involving on an emotional level. The reason we value "accuracy" is
because we have already found this beauty and emotional involvement in
live music for centuries. With experience in listening to live music
we can find a sphere of sounds that we find beautiful and emotionally
involving. The point of audio was originally to create an illusion of
the original performance from a single perspective because that sound
was usually within that sphere of sounds that we commonly find
beautiful and emotionally involving. I would assert that accuracy for
the sake of accuracy is a philosophy that misses the point. To me the
only value in accuracy is in how it helps us create an illusion of
live music that falls within the sphere of sounds that we commonly
find beautiful and emotionally involving. Beyond getting us within
that sphere of aesthetic beauty and emotional involvement, accuracy
becomes academic. The problem is of course that the sphere of sound
one finds in recording and playback often has little crossover with
that sphere of sound we treasure from live music. IMO the more our
playback crosses over with the sphere of sounds we idealize the better
the playback is. I don't care whether I get there via greater
technical accuracy in the recording and playback chain or not. The
technology has to serve the aesthetic goals, not the other way around.
This makes some people uncomfortable because it is a lot more
difficult to quantify intirinsic beauty and emotional involvement than
it is to quantify the measured accuracy of an electrical waveform.

And I must say that my experience with the Classics and Speaker's
Corner reissues on vinyl mirror yours. Despite the superb efforts made
by Dennis Drake in mastering the Mercury Living Presence recordings
the reissues from Classics and Speaker's Corner, in a few head to head
comparisons, were more lifelike, beautiful and involving.

I would add this note for any jazz lovers. Look into the reissue
series from Analog Productions and Music Matters on 45 RPM. The
improvement in sound wrought over any previous versions of those
titles is amazing. And the music? Forget it, were talking about a
substantial portion of the greatest jazz ever recorded. The two series
from Analog Productions and the one from Music Matters are IMO the
most significant series of reissues in the history of recorded music
and are an amazing treasure for audiophiles and music lovers.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Mike Gilmour[_2_] Mike Gilmour[_2_] is offline

"Sonnova" wrote in message

Premium records made on 180 or 200 gram virgin vinyl are
very quiet (-56 to -60 dB), and careful handling and
storage can keep them that way.

Trouble is that just about every live performance of classical music has
more like 65 dB dynamic range, and some go up into the 80s.

That's true, but in most domestic situations that kind of dynamic range is
impractical. Turn it up loud enough to hear the soft passages well and the
fffs will be lease breakers. Limited dynamic range is really not the
problem
some of you make it out to be.

I agree, that amount of dynamic range is impractical. Generally records give
me all the dynamic range need or want, occasionally on some 45 rpm cuts its
too much dynamic range and I fear for my ears and the speakers & quickly
lower the level. In my room, on my system, it gives me all the range I want
going from a whisper to crescendo - why should I want more?
I live in the countryside, it is really quiet in my listening room so a
whisper really is just that.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"mcdonaldREMOVE TO ACTUALLY REACH wrote
in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

(2) Digital music downloads, which seem to be taking
market share away from the CD even though they can never
sound better, all other things being equal.

It's not quite true that MP3s can't sound better than the
absolute best CD. It's not quite true that CDs are
perfect.

First, the CD does have an audible limitation in
frequency response.

No, they don't. There is a measurable limitation at 22 KHz, but there is
plenty of evidence that a brick wall filter at say 18 KHz is simply not
heard when applied to virtually all music.

BUT
... when I was a teenage audiophile (we did exist back
then!) I could hear quite well to 22 kHZ and even a bit
farther out, to 23 kHz.

Ignores the principle of masking. Hearing a pure tone at some frequency and
hearing the removal of all sound above that frequency are two vastly
different things. When you listen to music, what hear more strongly masks
out a great deal of things that are not as strong, until those things are in
a different critical band. This is the effect that makes MP3s work at all.
Were it not for masking, even the best MP3s would sound like something from
outer space.

The critical bands vary in frequency, but above 1 KHz they range from about
1/2 to 1/3 octave in width. The strongest sound in a critical band
dominates what you hear, and other weaker sounds in the critical band can be
completely masked from your perception if they lack sufficient strength.

Above about 4 KHz it gets harder and harder to hear sounds at higher
frequencies, as Fletcher and Munson found about 50 years ago, and as people
re-confirm every once in a while.

Put this together with masking, and we find that in the critical band above
about 13 Khz, the sounds at the lower end of this final critical band tend
to dominate even if sounds at higher frequencies are somewhat stronger.
because they are naturally stronger because of how musical instruments work
and because the ear's sensitivity is falling off rapidly. The net effect
is that the sounds below 16 kHz generally mask the sounds above 16 KHz.
This effect is so strong that a brick wall filter can be placed in the 16-18
KHz range with no audible effect whatsoever.

Compared to 16-18 KHz, the 22 KHz low pass filtering is completely benign,
and extending response up to 22 KHz is actually overkill.

I'd be will it suggest that a bunch of teenage audiophiles today (never
having been to a rock
concert, of course, or a terrorist bombing) could tell the difference
between
a 20 kHZ cutoff and a 23 kHZ one, on suitable material
(e.g. cymbals, triangle, etc.) MP3s are capable of higher
frequencies than CDs are.

Those tests have been done a great many times, and in fact a brick-wall low
pass filter in the 16-18 KHz band has no audible effect, even for young
people with excellent hearing.

Also, MP3s are capable of larger dynamic range than are
CDs.

No, they are not. The practical dynamic range of MP3s typically maxes out
at about 80 dB due to the limitations of the filters that are used to
identify and remove sounds that are masked out.

Furthermore, it is exceedingly common for MP3 encoders to summarily remove
all sounds above 16 kHz because they are simply not missed by human
listeners.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] outsor@city-net.com is offline

To repeat a test experience again I think is relevant to the below
soliloquy. As I recall, it originated on this ng. A digital recording
was made of an lp. In blind tests the two could not be distinguished.

Whatever was on the lp was faithfully reproduced for the listeners from
the digital copy. If it was on the lp as it was carried in the signal it
was copied well enough in all its detail on the digital copy so as to also
appear in the signal from the digital copy. Nothing was added nor removed
to such a degree that it could be distinguished above some threshold
inherent to making them sound alike.

The below could easily be used to repeat the test. Record the copies unto
a cd and see if they can be distinguished as to medium or any other
criteria for that matter.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Jenn" wrote in message
Richard Tollerton wrote:

Anecdotally, I've heard of people getting 50% defect rates on the
Classics they buy. That said, I've also heard of a lot of people with
no defective discs, or a very small number.

Count me among the later. I have 12 Classic LPs, and have had no
problems. Perhaps I'm just lucky. In fact, I've had no problems among
any of the modern "audiophile" lablels...Classic, Speakers Corner, et
al. Nor have I ever had any problems with "audiophile" LPs of a little
older vintage... Reference, Chesky, Opus 3, et al.

I'm very surprised at the 50% defect rates on Classics - I have a number of
Classics (not counted them) and I don't recall any being defective, in fact
they all are to my knowledge of excellent quality.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Sonnova" wrote in message

The CDs of the Mercury recordings were
mastered by Wilma Cozert Fine, the recordings' original
producer and are advertised to sound exactly like the
master tape.

She ain't the same lady who was there when they were recorded, and AFAIK she
didn't do the original mastering all by herself.

Actually she is the same lady. But you are right about her not doing
the original mastering. That was done by George Piros.

�But the CLassic Records LPs sound MUCH
better.

Mastering is a profound enough process that its powers can explain all that
and more.

Given the efforts made by Dennis Drake what explination would you
offer here?

Even you would agree if you heard both
side-by-side. I recently bought the newly mastered SACD
of this same title to see if they did a better job this
time and it sounds just exactly like the older CD
release.

Hmmm. It might be the older CD release's master, transcribed onto new media.

Nope.
http://www.deccaclassics.com/music/m...s_release.html

The same thing is true of the RCA Victor
reissues on CD and later on SACD. None sound as good as
the Classic Records LPs.
I don't doubt that the CDs sound more like the master
tape than do the Classic Records reissues on vinyl, but
the records sound more like I remember a live performance
sounding (and since I record a lot, I know what live
performances sound like).

I disagree with that.

How can you possibly disagree with another person's aesthetic
evaluation of records and CDs you have not even heard?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
jwvm jwvm is offline

On Nov 1, 5:46*pm, "mcdonaldREMOVE TO ACTUALLY REACH

snip-

First, the CD does have an audible limitation in frequency response. Now
I can't comment, at this time, on the effect of that, because I'm 63 years old
and can't hear above 14 kHZ. BUT ... when I was a teenage audiophile
(we did exist back then!) I could hear quite well to 22 kHZ and even a bit
farther out, to 23 kHz. I'd be will it suggest that a bunch of
teenage audiophiles today (never having been to a rock concert, of course,
or a terrorist bombing) could tell the difference between
a 20 kHZ cutoff and a 23 kHZ one, on suitable material (e.g. cymbals,
triangle, etc.) MP3s are capable of higher frequencies than CDs are.

There is a difference between being able to hear a pure frequency and
a frequency when other frequencies are present. Extremely high
frequencies are very likely to be inaudible in the presence of louder
lower frequencies. This, in fact, is one of the strategies used when
mp3 files are created. Perceptual coding removes frequencies that are
masked by other frequencies.

Also, MP3s are capable of larger dynamic range than are CDs.

It is difficult to make a case that there is any advantage to having a
format with more dynamic range than a CD. The dynamic range of real-
world recordings are well below the 96 dB range of the CD standard.

Unless played
loud enough to soon ruin the hearing above 20 kHz, and in a really really
quiet room, I, like Arny, doubt that a CD is inadequate even for the
widest dynamic range of real music (e.g. Mahler 2nd or 8th symphonies,
not volume compressed.) But if the CD is in fact inadequate, the MP3
would do OK. That's assuming that 320 kB/sec is "OK".

I've used "MP3" as synonymous for "digital download" ... but of course,
there ARE losslessly encoded downloads that can be more than 16 bit, more than
44.1 kHZ sampling.

Note that bit rates must be something like twice as high as 320 kB/
second for truely lossless CD-quality recordings.

Let me emphasize that I am not claiming that **I** can hear the difference ...
I can't. I make my own MP3s with a 14 kHz cutoff at VBR at about 166 to
180 kB/sec and they sound perfect to me, compared to the source.

Many people would agree with you here. Others claim that such
recordings sound terrible. Unbiased testing might provide interesting
results, however.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 17:54:17 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message

[...]

What makes you think that I would dispute that assertion? I'm sure of it.
That in no way alters the fact that the Classic LP releases sound better than
the commercial CDs and SACD releases of the same performances. A well-made CD
copy of one of these LPs will likewise sound better than does the commercial
releases of these same titles.

The CDs of the Mercury recordings were
mastered by Wilma Cozert Fine, the recordings' original
producer and are advertised to sound exactly like the
master tape.

She ain't the same lady who was there when they were recorded, and AFAIK she
didn't do the original mastering all by herself.

True, but she's the only one left who was there.

But the CLassic Records LPs sound MUCH
better.

Mastering is a profound enough process that its powers can explain all that
and more.

Doesn't alter the fact...

Even you would agree if you heard both
side-by-side. I recently bought the newly mastered SACD
of this same title to see if they did a better job this
time and it sounds just exactly like the older CD
release.

Hmmm. It might be the older CD release's master, transcribed onto new media.

Whatever, it doesn't change the fact that the LP sounds better.

The same thing is true of the RCA Victor
reissues on CD and later on SACD. None sound as good as
the Classic Records LPs.

I don't doubt that the CDs sound more like the master
tape than do the Classic Records reissues on vinyl, but
the records sound more like I remember a live performance
sounding (and since I record a lot, I know what live
performances sound like).

I disagree with that. I record a lot and I'm sure that I don't know squat
about most live performances sound like, other than perhaps the ones I
recorded. Furthermore, the live performances I've recorded have as many
distinct sounds as there are spots in the room where they were recorded,
that are more than about six feet apart.

That's your prerogative.

To me this is about the
illusion of having a real performance in my own living
room.

I've never ever heard a recording sound like much more than a
semi-believable approximation of a live performance.

That's your problem. I realize that the illusion is to a degree and adjust my
expectations accordingly.

Anything that gets me closer to that illusion is,
in my humble opinion, good, and accuracy be damned.

The idea that the arbitrary twists and turns that recordings go through in
the production process can some how become closer because of the random
addition of the even more arbitrary twists and turns inherent in the LP
recording process surely taxes the imagination.

It sure seems to tax yours. No offense meant.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 18:09:44 -0700, wrote
(in article ):

To repeat a test experience again I think is relevant to the below
soliloquy. As I recall, it originated on this ng. A digital recording
was made of an lp. In blind tests the two could not be distinguished.

I don't doubt that one iota. But that's not what we're talking about, is it.
WE are talking about a recent LP remaster of original performance masters
made 50 years or so ago vs commercial CD and SACD releases of the same
material. The recent LPs sound better than the CD releases and when those LPs
are transcribed to CD, those CDs sound better than the commercial product as
well.

Whatever was on the lp was faithfully reproduced for the listeners from
the digital copy. If it was on the lp as it was carried in the signal it
was copied well enough in all its detail on the digital copy so as to also
appear in the signal from the digital copy. Nothing was added nor removed
to such a degree that it could be distinguished above some threshold
inherent to making them sound alike.

The below could easily be used to repeat the test. Record the copies unto
a cd and see if they can be distinguished as to medium or any other
criteria for that matter.

The CDs sound more or less precisely like the source LP and better than the
commercially released CDs of the same performances.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

On Nov 1, 5:54�pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"Sonnova" wrote in message

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 20:37:23 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in
message

The CDs of the Mercury recordings were
mastered by Wilma Cozert Fine, the recordings' original
producer and are advertised to sound exactly like the
master tape.

She ain't the same lady who was there when they were
recorded, and AFAIK she didn't do the original mastering
all by herself.

Actually she is the same lady.

No, she's an older lady. At least two highly relevant things change with
time - brains and ears.

But you are right about
her not doing the original mastering. That was done by
George Piros.

We've got to be realistic about this mixing and mastering stuff. At this
level of complexity, nobody does exactly the same thing twice.

Do musicans ever play the same thing twice so closely that it can't be
ABXed? Nope!

Does anybody ever do a non-trivial mix twice so so closely that it can't be
ABXed? Nope!

Does anybody ever do a non-trivial job of mastering job twice so closely
that it can't be ABXed? Nope!

�But the CLassic Records LPs sound MUCH
better.

Mastering is a profound enough process that its powers
can explain all that and more.

Given the efforts made by Dennis Drake what explination
would you offer here?

I just did.

Even you would agree if you heard both
side-by-side. I recently bought the newly mastered SACD
of this same title to see if they did a better job this
time and it sounds just exactly like the older CD
release.

Hmmm. It might be the older CD release's master,
transcribed onto new media.

Nope.

http://www.deccaclassics.com/music/m...s_release.html

Seems to support my assertion. Thanks.

The same thing is true of the RCA Victor
reissues on CD and later on SACD. None sound as good as
the Classic Records LPs.
I don't doubt that the CDs sound more like the master
tape than do the Classic Records reissues on vinyl, but
the records sound more like I remember a live
performance sounding (and since I record a lot, I know
what live performances sound like).

I disagree with that.

How can you possibly disagree with another person's
aesthetic evaluation of records and CDs you have not even
heard?

Making a CD sound like vinyl is almost trivial. Making a LP sound like a CD
is in general, impossible. No known exceptions.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

On Nov 2, 8:04�am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

On Nov 1, 5:54 pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"Sonnova" wrote in message

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 20:37:23 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in

The CDs of the Mercury recordings were
mastered by Wilma Cozert Fine, the recordings' original
producer and are advertised to sound exactly like the
master tape.

She ain't the same lady who was there when they were
recorded, and AFAIK she didn't do the original mastering
all by herself.

Actually she is the same lady.

No, she's an older lady. �At least two highly relevant things change with
time - brains and ears.

Of course she is older. But she is still Wilma Cozart Fine.

But you are right about
her not doing the original mastering. That was done by
George Piros.

We've got to be realistic about this mixing and mastering stuff. �At this
level of complexity, nobody does exactly the same thing twice.

I'm not really sure what your point is here. George Piros cut all the
original Mercury Living Presence clasical LPs for Wilma Cozart Fine. I
don't think he cut any of them more than once. The Mercuries weren't
the big sellers that the RCAs were. There were later cuts that can be
distinguished by the matrix information. I don't think Piros cut those
and they are widely regarded as inferior to the originals.

But the CLassic Records LPs sound MUCH
better.
Mastering is a profound enough process that its powers
can explain all that and more.

Given the efforts made by Dennis Drake what explination
would you offer here?

I just did.

I must have missed it. What exactly was your explination for the
favored sound of the LPs from Classics over the Dennis Drake mastered
CDs? Was there anything that you believe Dennis Drake did wrong in
mastering the Merecury Living Presence CDs?

Even you would agree if you heard both
side-by-side. I recently bought the newly mastered SACD
of this same title to see if they did a better job this
time and it sounds just exactly like the older CD
release.
Hmmm. It might be the older CD release's master,
transcribed onto new media.

Nope.
http://www.deccaclassics.com/music/m...e/press_releas...

Seems to support my assertion. Thanks.

No it does not. These SACDs were completely new masters.
"Each Mercury Living Presence SACD offers several major advantages
over the previous CD release. Firstly - and most excitingly - every
SACD features a 3-channel (left, right and centre) transfer of the
original 3-channel recording. "
I'm pretty sure the Mercury Living Presence CDs are two channel. Call
it a hunch.

The same thing is true of the RCA Victor
reissues on CD and later on SACD. None sound as good as
the Classic Records LPs.
I don't doubt that the CDs sound more like the master
tape than do the Classic Records reissues on vinyl, but
the records sound more like I remember a live
performance sounding (and since I record a lot, I know
what live performances sound like).
I disagree with that.

How can you possibly disagree with another person's
aesthetic evaluation of records and CDs you have not even
heard?

Making a CD sound like vinyl is almost trivial. Making a LP sound like a CD
is in general, impossible. No known exceptions

That is a complete non sequitor. The CDs mastered by Denis Drake and
the three channel SACDs were not mastered from an LP. The original
poster clearly stated a preference for the Classic LP reissues over
the CDs and SACDs. You disagreed. How can you disagree with that
aesthetic evaluation without even hearing what the original poster
heard? What is your disagrrement with the opinion that the Classic LP
reissues sound better than the Dennis Drake CDs or the SACDs based on?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 08:04:26 -0800, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

wrote in message

On Nov 1, 5:54�pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"Sonnova" wrote in message

[...]

Why would anyone want to make a CD sound like vinyl except in those rare (but
nonetheless real) instances where the vinyl of a particular commercial
release sounds better than the CD? Otherwise, CD is almost always superior

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 08:37:51 -0800, wrote
(in article ):

On Nov 2, 8:04�am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

On Nov 1, 5:54 pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"Sonnova" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, generally speaking, the later Philips-released Mercury re-issues are
slightly inferior to the originals cut by Piros. Some say that it was because
the originals were cut with tube gear and that Piros' entire mastering
electronics chain was much simpler than the more modern stuff. with all of
their acceleration limiters and drive limiters and automatic margin controls,
etc. Who knows?

Many don't realize it (but I'm sure you do) that Mercury Records was a small
outfit. Bob Fine, Wilma Cozart, and Bob Ebernez were virtually the entire
Living Presence team. The fact that their work is so highly regarded is
mostly because their recording set-ups were so simple and straight-forward.
Two half-track (later three track) Ampex 350 tape transports (one as a
parallel backup) running at 15 ips and three spaced Telefunken U-47 and/or
ELA-251 condenser mikes set in the omni pattern (which only worked in that
application because: 1) they weren't all that omni in those days, and 2) they
became more and more directional as the frequency rose. Modern Omni mikes
don't work as well in a spaced array as did these 50's era mikes did as a
listen to most of Bob Woods' early Telarc releases can attest. Modern omnis
are TOO omni!) No signal processing, limiting, or compression was used. Louis
Layton's work for RCA Red Seal Division was also very good for the same
reasons.

But the CLassic Records LPs sound MUCH
better.
Mastering is a profound enough process that its powers
can explain all that and more.
Given the efforts made by Dennis Drake what explination
would you offer here?

I just did.

I must have missed it. What exactly was your explination for the
favored sound of the LPs from Classics over the Dennis Drake mastered
CDs? Was there anything that you believe Dennis Drake did wrong in
mastering the Merecury Living Presence CDs?

I don't know what he did. I can tell you that especially on the Stravinsky
Firebird (Minneapolis Symphony, Antal Dorati) the CD is lifeless and blah
sounding while the Classic Record's single-sided 45 RPM release is vibrantly
alive sounding with a rich bottom end and silken highs. By comparison, the CD
sounds compressed with little dynamic contrast. The bottom end is certainly
digital-tight, but it lacks impact. The highs, by comparison, are dry and
fairly lifeless. The overall presentation is quite subdued compared to the LP
which is breathtaking to listen to.

[...]

It seems that Arny is incapable of either believing or admitting that it is
possible for an LP to sound better than a CD. He seems to believe that ANY
digital recording is perfect and all LPs are so flawed as to be unlistenable.
Such an attitude, to me, shows a certain prejudice, and most assuredly a
closed mind -on this subject, anyway.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Richard Tollerton Richard Tollerton is offline

On Oct 31, 7:51*am, wrote:
On Oct 30, 4:44 pm, Richard Tollerton
wrote:

On Oct 30, 8:16 am, wrote:

I would hesitate to say that one could simply just press play when
cutting a master from a very dynamic source.There are important
choices made by the cutting engineer in every step of the process.
There is also a real hands on craft involved in the act of cutting and
not all cutting engineers are equally skilled.

Understood, but my understanding is that besides the extremely hands-
on matter of maintaining the cutting head assembly and managing the
pitch, it's quite possible to cut a record that is a direct transfer
of the master material - as long as specific thresholds aren't
exceeded. eg, don't have enough stereo bass to compromise tracking,
don't incur so much acceleration that the coils fry, etc. Steve
Hoffman, at least, advertised that some of the vinyl work he's done (I
want to say Tres Hombres in particular) was cut flat from the master
tapes. But then again, he doesn't do the vinyl mastering, KG does.

Sure. But when you are dealing with source material with a dynamic
range that is close to the thresholds of the medium you have this sort
of gambit that the cutting engineer has to play. The engineer has to
figure how high a level can be used to cut without breaking the groove
or running out of room on the laquer. If one playes it safe and
doesn't push the boundaries of the upper limits and they choose not to
use compression or a limiter then that cutting engneer will drive the
lower level information further into the noise floor. For the most
dynamic material KG and SH have been pushing the normal limitations by
cutting at 45 rpm and cutting shorter sides. You just cant get push
the groove as far if you are trying to cram more time per side. Now
with most pop/rock material the dynamic range is not wide enough to
have to resort to this sort of solution. It is less of a challenge to
cut something like Tres Hombres without using compression. What
Hoffman brings to the formula are his personal tweaks to improve the
sound of the master. Kevin does the dirty work on the lathe.

In other words... they *do* just press play. What you're describing
seems to prove my point.

Obviously a lot of care and planning goes into the recording
configuration before the cutting head hits the laquer/copper. Those
are the decisions you mention. But after that, it's strictly a hands-
off affair. Cutting at 45rpm and cutting shorter sides certainly
affect the dynamic range but those decisions are still sort of "just
push play" - because the signal chain is simply not affected in the
slightest by it. Kevin can't edit the groove after it's cut, and he's
certainly not gainriding (that would of course be dynamic range
compression). Besides that... what else do the mastering engineers do?
If they're not compressing anything and they're not applying EQ
distortions or noise reduction or whatever, what else can they
possibly do? It's not rocket science. They don't do things our mortal
minds don't comprehend.

What I'm saying here is that if the mastering engineer is not applying
EQ, and not compressing the dynamic range, and not "sweetening" the
signal by running it through tube amps or no-noising it or distorting
it or whatever, then all the mastering decisions available for
audiophile mastering simply do not affect the signal chain. That's
what I mean by "direct transfer". And so far I haven't seen anything
the mastering engineer can do inside the signal chain in an audiophile-
quality pressing that would change any of that. (And cable swapping
doesn't count.)

At one extreme I could argue that because test records are a clear
example of something where the records are not "mastered" in the
audible sense. Also, don't direct-to-disc releases rely on very little
input from the mastering engineer?

They rely heavily on the cutting engineer to get the maximum peak
levels cut without screwing up the adjacent grooves and without
running out of room. It is a highly skilled hands on job. The gambit

I thought that was fully automated? Pitch computers are standard
virtually everywhere.

That said, even if the groove pitch was controlled by hand, calling
that a "hands-on" affair that truly affects the dynamic range of the
recording is really thin. The mastering engineer could just set the
computer for maximum pitch and walk away, and get the same dynamic
range on the recording. The purpose of pitch riding is to INCREASE
PLAYING TIME - not to increase dynamic range.

I do find myself buying them along with audiophile CDs. It does not
matter to me what the neighbors are doing. It seems to me that if one
is really interested in getting the best sound from the music they
love that they will put together the best playback system they can and
collect the best sounding LPs and CDs of the music they wish to listen
to. Getting a better mastered LP or CD of a title one enjoys
listening to is one of the least expensive and most effective upgrades
an audiophile can make. I can't understand why anyone would shut off
all the opportunities to get their favorite music at it's best over
some idealogoical objection to either format. That strikes me as a
classic case of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

I disagree, but more because I've made a conscious effort to distance
my emotional reaction to the music from the sound quality (or the
price). I prefer to choose more based on price nowadays, and with a
lot of reportory vinyl in the $1-$3 range nowadays, screw good
masterings! I've bought tons of CBS Masterworks vinyl (not the most
highly rated) and have been more or less pleased with all of it.

That is a choice to ignore better sound. That choice does not negate
my assertion.

True - but your statement never negated my assertion, either (that
audiophile pressings form a very small fraction of the market).

Ultimately what I'm getting at (and this may be less of an attack on
you than an attack on pro-vinyl arguments in general) is that while
the advantages of high-quality vinyl are highly touted, in terms of
what people actually *mean* when they refer to vinyl, they don't
always mean that. I've heard all sorts of people tout vinyl's
"improved dynamics", "extended range", etc. when listing to very
mainstream, non-audiophile vinyl - rock LPs, new or used, the
occasional Decca 60s pressing, etc. Stuff that in my experience has
none of these attributes,

It is all relative. Lets take another recent Gray/Hoffman mastering.
Joni Mitchell's Blue. For the first time this title was cut from the
actual original master rather than the EQed 2;1 compressed copy master
that had been the source for evey other version of this title
including the CDs. If someone raves about the better dynamics of this
over the CD they are simply telling the truth. Just because the source
material isn't state of the art doesn't mean that the differences in
mastering don't make a big difference. They usually do. In this day
and age when so many CDs are being compressed to 5dB dynamic range in
these crazy loudness wars it should be no surprise when people rave
about the improvements heard with audiophile LPs of the same material.
These are the real world choices audiophiles have to make. I don't see
why the enthusiasm of vinyl enthusiasts should in any way obscure or
negate these truisms for any audiophile interested in just getting the
best sound they can with their favorite music. To dismiss vinyl
because one is put off by the hyperbole of rabid vinyl enthusiasts
really is an act of cutting off one's nose.

Of course I agree with what you're saying. I've been sorely tempted to
buy some of said uncompressed pressings. But that's not what I was
talking about. I'm referring, *specifically*, to the attributes of the
format itself, rather than the attributes of the signal recorded onto
the format - and how most people confuse one with the other, or even
use obviously incorrect examples as supporting evidence of a
particular format's attribute. That you are already conflating the two
by shifting the conversation over to the superiority of certain vinyl
masters to certain other masters (vinyl or CD) speaks volumes about
how difficult it is to converse logically about all of this to most
people.

On the contrary, there's absolutely nothing about this which is
relative. Certainly, the emotional impact of the recording, and the
sounds it evokes, are fundamentally relative. But as soon as one
starts talking dynamics and dynamic ranges one is entering very
observable, absolute territory.

Of course I'm exaggerating, but not by much. If one touts audiophile-
grade vinyl as the true example of the medium's potential, and lesser-
grade stuff as not, you're essentially saying that all of people who
love the sound of vinyl who haven't listened to said systems simply do
not know what they are talking about, because the criticisms stick to
them, and not to the audiophile stuff.

Not at all. Again, case by case. In many cases IME that scratchy old
original really does have the prefered sound. Sometimes that is due in
no small part to the effects of euphonic colorations found in some of
those old cutting consoles. If someone has not come along and mastered
a better CD or LP, that old euphonically colored original LP often is
the prime cut.

You do have a point in terms of preference. But I'm trying to keep
this conversation specifically about dynamic range and observable
differences. Certainly one can prefer any pressing they want based
on their preferred, and be entitled to that opinion, but they're not
entitled to actually convince anybody else of it.

That seems to
undercut your previous argument about very dynamic sources requiring
that sort of thing.

As mentioned above, I more or less agree with you here, but then that
challenges your claim about highly dynamic works needing massaging
even further.

More navigating than massaging. Here is another analogy. Think of it
as a Formula One car and track. You need the most skilled driver to
turn in the best time. Likewise you need the most skilled cutting
engineer to capture the widest dynamics without screwing the pooch.
AND when the boss says push the envelope regardless of what it takes
that frees you up to push the envelope. When the boss says faster
cheaper you have to play it safe.

Screw analogies.

Again.... I remain unconvinced that the mastering engineer has as much
control over this as you think they do. You've gotta show me WHERE the
signal chain gets modified to facilitate a highly dynamic signal
getting cut. Speeding up the lathe/adjusting the pitch isn't in the
signal path. Changing the vinyl formulation or using better laquers
isn't in the signal path. All of those are extremely important
parameters of the cutting process, but they fundamentally don't
*change* the signal itself as it's being cut.

I have under controlled listening tests heard some pretty profound
differences in various rig's ability to portray low level information.
I base this on what I hear not on any bench tests. We are talking
about a transducer when we talk about vinyl playback. Even the biggest
tech heads usually concede that the final proof of performance is in
the listening not on the test bench with transducers.

That may be true, but if I'm completely unable to figure it out on the
bench, I am highly inclined to say that what I listened to was
placebo. The human mind is a somewhat deceptive device. Obviously it
can see things that a test environment can't see, but that doesn't
mean it can see things that *no* test environment can't see. And the
power of analysis tools to tease stuff like this out nowadays is
staggering.

No doubt. But if one is using blind protocols....

Well, sure, if you scored like p0.05, tell us more.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jenn[_3_] Jenn[_3_] is offline

In article ,
Sonnova wrote:

Many don't realize it (but I'm sure you do) that Mercury Records was a small
outfit. Bob Fine, Wilma Cozart, and Bob Ebernez were virtually the entire
Living Presence team. The fact that their work is so highly regarded is
mostly because their recording set-ups were so simple and straight-forward.

Some great halls, like the Eastman Theater, didn't hurt either!

I can tell you that especially on the Stravinsky
Firebird (Minneapolis Symphony, Antal Dorati) the CD is lifeless and blah
sounding while the Classic Record's single-sided 45 RPM release is vibrantly
alive sounding with a rich bottom end and silken highs. By comparison, the CD
sounds compressed with little dynamic contrast. The bottom end is certainly
digital-tight, but it lacks impact. The highs, by comparison, are dry and
fairly lifeless. The overall presentation is quite subdued compared to the LP
which is breathtaking to listen to.

For those who don't want to/can't spend the money on the 45 RPM, the 33
RPM two sided LP is stunning as well.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

wrote:

On Oct 30, 8:16 am, wrote:

[...]

Well it is tricky because you really have two subjects in one. The
argument of which format is better sounding in theory and which format
is better sounding in practice. In theory there is only the inherent
sound of the formats at issue. But in practice there is always the
unique sounds of various turntable rigs and the quality of the
different masterings of each title on each format in play. In practice
any time you play a record or a CD you engage all these properties. So
while one can waste a lot of time fighting about the theoretical
advantages of each format in the theory, in practice it's quite
simple, the variances in mastering out weighs any theoretical argument
over format superiority and is ample reason for any audiophile to have
both formats and... the variances in the sonic signatures in turntable
rigs is ample reason to spend time and money putting together a rig
that sounds best to one's ear. That of course ultimately is a very
personal decision.

On the contrary, there's absolutely nothing about this which is
relative. Certainly, the emotional impact of the recording, and the
sounds it evokes, are fundamentally relative. But as soon as one
starts talking dynamics and dynamic ranges one is entering very
observable, absolute territory.

If sound quality were only a function of dynamic range I would say you
have a good point. But it is not.

[...]

Why would you want to isolate one of many aspects that may or may not
affect the quality of sound in any given case? I am a practical
audiophile. I see no point in taking one element of an aestheitc whole
and latch onto it at the expense of the bigger picture simply because
it is easily quantifiable. I'm a big picture kind of guy.
Unfortunately that tends to be too multifaceted to easily quantify.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Sonnova" wrote in message

It seems that Arny is incapable of either believing or
admitting that it is possible for an LP to sound better
than a CD.

We seem to have a communication failure here.

A LP can sound better than a CD if someone screws up the CD, which actually
has happened.

He seems to believe that ANY digital recording
is perfect

Again, we seem to have a communication failure here.

Aside from screw-ups, a digital recording at 44/16 or higher has to be a
perfect copy of the master recording it was made from. However the master
recording need not be perfect. And the tracks and mixdown need not be
perfect.

and all LPs are so flawed as to be unmistakable.

Yet again, we seem to have a communication failure here.

I've heard LPs that were sufficiently free from their usual flaws as to
listenable. I'm not free of sentimentality, and unlike most here, I can
feel free to admit it. So I've enjoyed listening to certain LPs under
certain circumstances, audible flaws notwithstanding. Furthermore, I do
enjoy certain performances regardless of the flaws of the medium they were
recorded on.

Such an attitude, to me, shows a certain
prejudice, and most assuredly a closed mind -on this
subject, anyway.

Since its an invention, we should credit it to its inventor, no? ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 15:21:03 -0800, Jenn wrote
(in article ):

In article ,
Sonnova wrote:

[...]

I haven't heard the Classic Records 33 reissue, but I do have the
Philips-pressed Mercury, and it's a pale shadow of the Classic Records 45. I
also have never heard the original Mercury pressing and cannot comment on
that either.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 20:26:08 -0800, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message

It seems that Arny is incapable of either believing or
admitting that it is possible for an LP to sound better
than a CD.

We seem to have a communication failure here.

A LP can sound better than a CD if someone screws up the CD, which actually
has happened.

OK, then. But I think that in a lot of cases, the CD sounds exactly like the
producer wanted it to sound, like for instance, the Mercury CD of the
Firebird, quite a few of the BMG/RCA Red Seal hybrid CD/SACDs, etc.

He seems to believe that ANY digital recording
is perfect

Again, we seem to have a communication failure here.

Aside from screw-ups, a digital recording at 44/16 or higher has to be a
perfect copy of the master recording it was made from. However the master
recording need not be perfect. And the tracks and mixdown need not be
perfect.

But we're talking about CDs vs records of analog master tapes which are two
or three track, are KNOWN to be great recordings (the Mercury Living
Presence, early RCA Red Seal stereos, Blalock Everests, etc.). When the
remastered LP sounds better than any of the CD releases of this material, we
cannot blame it on either the master recording or the "mixdown".

and all LPs are so flawed as to be unmistakable.

Yet again, we seem to have a communication failure here.

I've heard LPs that were sufficiently free from their usual flaws as to
listenable. I'm not free of sentimentality, and unlike most here, I can
feel free to admit it. So I've enjoyed listening to certain LPs under
certain circumstances, audible flaws notwithstanding. Furthermore, I do
enjoy certain performances regardless of the flaws of the medium they were
recorded on.

OK.

Such an attitude, to me, shows a certain
prejudice, and most assuredly a closed mind -on this
subject, anyway.

Since its an invention, we should credit it to its inventor, no? ;-)

No offense meant, you understand.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Sonnova" wrote in message

It seems that Arny is incapable of either believing or
admitting that it is possible for an LP to sound better
than a CD.

We seem to have a communication failure here.

A LP can sound better than a CD if someone screws up the
CD, which actually has happened.

OK, then. But I think that in a lot of cases, the CD
sounds exactly like the producer wanted it to sound, like
for instance, the Mercury CD of the Firebird, quite a few
of the BMG/RCA Red Seal hybrid CD/SACDs, etc.

Agreed that a CD can sound exactly like someone made it sound. If you don't
like the way it sounds, I'd call that a "screw up", no? ;-)

He seems to believe that ANY digital recording
is perfect

Again, we seem to have a communication failure here.

Aside from screw-ups, a digital recording at 44/16 or
higher has to be a perfect copy of the master recording
it was made from. However the master recording need not
be perfect. And the tracks and mixdown need not be
perfect.

But we're talking about CDs vs records of analog master
tapes which are two or three track, are KNOWN to be great
recordings (the Mercury Living Presence, early RCA Red
Seal stereos, Blalock Everests, etc.).

The producer has an infinite number of choices, one of which is to make the
CD sound exactly like the master tape playback.

When the
remastered LP sounds better than any of the CD releases
of this material, we cannot blame it on either the master
recording or the "mixdown".

Agreed, but we can blame the infrerior sound on the producer.

In no case can we blame the CD medium, because it is blameless.

If a producer wants a CD to sound exactly like a LP, he could always record
his recording to a LP, play it back, and record that on the CD. If he wants
a CD to sound like a LP, minus the noise and distortion inherent in the LP
format, then he can process his recording so that it sounds the way he wants
it to, but bypass recording it and playing it back.

and all LPs are so flawed as to be unmistakable.

Yet again, we seem to have a communication failure here.

I've heard LPs that were sufficiently free from their
usual flaws as to listenable. I'm not free of
sentimentality, and unlike most here, I can feel free to
admit it. So I've enjoyed listening to certain LPs under
certain circumstances, audible flaws notwithstanding.
Furthermore, I do enjoy certain performances regardless
of the flaws of the medium they were recorded on.

OK.

Such an attitude, to me, shows a certain
prejudice, and most assuredly a closed mind -on this
subject, anyway.

Since its an invention, we should credit it to its
inventor, no? ;-)

No offense meant, you understand.

OK. ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rob Tweed Rob Tweed is offline

I've begun to realise this week that one of the great attractions of
analog audio media was the very fact that they were inherently flawed
(for all the many reasons discussed in other threads recently), and
therefore there was always a market and opportunity for some new piece
of hardware or technology to extract just that little extra bit of
signal, with less colouration or less distortion or whatever. That,
from a hobbyist's point of view, is really very attractive. There can
never be perfection, but you can continually come up with new ideas
and tricks to improve the reproduction, albeit with diminishing
returns.

The "problem" with digital is that once you have the signal digitised,
the reading of that signal is always going to be perfect - you can't
do anything to improve it. So it's a technically solvable problem
which can no longer be tinkered with to improve. My commodity DVD
drive in my laptop, or the drive in a 30 pound player from my local
supermarket can read that digital stream from a CD perfectly. So
what's the fun in that? And of course, from the expensive, high
profit-margin hi-fi manufacturer's point of view, where's the market
in that?

Therein, I believe, lies one of the key reasons for the mythology of
"analog sound" or "vinyl sound". Its reproduction can never be
perfect but can always be improved.

Similarly, technological progress has meant that the processing of the
digital signal through a DAC chip has inevitably reached a point where
it can barely be improved and is, to all intents and purposes,
perfect, but now at a commodity price. I suspect the average DAC in
the latest bottom of the range Dell laptop is now more than adequate
for even a high-end system. Again, what's the fun in that?

It's interesting that the only part in the audio playback chain that
we're now left with where near perfection at low cost by cannot be
reached by current commodity technology is the loudspeaker. I guess
that's now the sole area where the "fun" element and hobbiest element
of hi-fi now really resides, with people going to extraordinary
lengths to achieve the perfect sound from their latest speaker design.

Of course there's still the folks who will try to persuade the
gullible that the digital domain can be still improved upon (witness
the barmy green pens to paint the edge of your CDs with some years
ago, and weights to stop physical vibrations affecting the digital
stream), but I guess that what they're pandering to is a final hope
that some element of hobbyist tinkering-about must surely be possible
in the digital chain.

So the fact is that my Mac Mini + USB hard drive + EMU USB DAC +
Behringer power amp (total cost not very much, particularly since the
Mac was surplus to requirements having been purchased for some other
work project) arguably delivers a near perfect signal to my speakers
(which I confess sadly let the side down somewhat!). Gone are the
days when you need eye-wateringly expensive CD transports with
special, separate power supplies, DACs, pre-amps and power amps
(though you'd hardly guess that from the magazine articles and
adverts).

I'm happy - I'm getting the kind of sound I used to dream about, but
for only a small amount of capital outlay, and I can enjoy the purpose
of the exercise as far as I'm concerned - listening to music which is
where I now spend my money.

The hobbyist hi-fi enthusiast must look upon this as a bleak
utilitarian desert - where's the fun in my system? I guess, from his
point of view, very little....

---

Rob Tweed
Company: M/Gateway Developments Ltd
Registered in England: No 3220901
Registered Office: 58 Francis Road,Ashford, Kent TN23 7UR

Web-site: http://www.mgateway.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
vlad vlad is offline

On Nov 4, 5:40*am, Rob Tweed wrote:
I've begun to realise this week that one of the great attractions of
analog audio media was the very fact that they were inherently flawed
(for all the many reasons discussed in other threads recently), and
therefore there was always a market and opportunity for some new piece
of hardware or technology to extract just that little extra bit of
signal, with less colouration or less distortion or whatever. *That,
from a hobbyist's point of view, is really very attractive. *There can
never be perfection, but you can continually come up with new ideas
and tricks to improve the reproduction, albeit with diminishing
returns.

In general I agree with your post. except in one point. Did you
notice how much difference new arm, cartridge, clamps, etc. make? If
using it makes a noticeable difference (and I believe it is) then at
least in one of cases (clamp/no clamp) we have an audibly distorted
sound. And tomorrow new mat on the plate will make a noticeable change
in a sound again. So where is "High Fidelity" in this?

I think the real answer is that hi-end audiophiles redefined Hi-Fi
as something that pleases their ears instead of closeness to the
original signal recorded on the media. So they are tweaking their
equipment to achieve Hi-FI in this sense. And analogue being fragile
and inherently imperfect provides fertile ground for that kind of
hobby. There is nothing wrong with that, as long as you know what you
are doing.

I will not go into sneak oil salesmen's exploits in this area,
after all I support the right to be exploited :-)

vlad

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Nov 4, 8:03�am, vlad wrote:
On Nov 4, 5:40�am, Rob Tweed wrote:

� � I think the real answer is that hi-end audiophiles redefined Hi-Fi
as something that pleases their ears instead of closeness to the
original signal recorded on the media. So they are tweaking their
equipment to achieve Hi-FI in this sense. And analogue being fragile
and inherently imperfect provides fertile ground for that kind of
hobby. There is nothing wrong with that, as long as you know what you
are doing.

The original "signal" recorded on the media does not have an intrinsic
sound of it's own. How do you use the "original signal" as any kind of
*sonic* reference without setting up playback equipment as a part of
that reference sound as well? You talk about audiophiles seeking sound
that pleases their ears as though it were a bad choice. If hifi does
not please the end users ears how is that ever good? I am going to go
out on a limb and guess you have a philosophy that places a priority
on alleged "accuracy" in each component in the chain of any playback
system. My question is why should that be the priority for audiophiles
IYO?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Rob Tweed wrote:

The "problem" with digital is that once you have the signal digitised,
the reading of that signal is always going to be perfect - you can't
do anything to improve it. So it's a technically solvable problem
which can no longer be tinkered with to improve.

Well, sort of. OF COURSE it can be tinkered with, I myself do
extensive tinkering. First, you can play with the frequency response.
One of the "euphonic colorations" of some phono cartridges is
unflat frequency response. That can easily be faked, digitally.
You can also play with the dynamic range of a recording, if you wish.
You can decrease or increase it. In fact, I (not, admittedly, you, unless
you ask me for a copy of my program) can volume compress it in a far
better manner that the usual commercial process. And, in fact,
for my iPod I do just that, since I wear it while walking outdoors
in somewhat noisy areas.

Doug McDonald

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

wrote in message
On Nov 4, 8:03�am, vlad wrote:
[...]

My own priority certainly is accuracy over pleasure. The problem with a
system that's nice to listen to but inaccurate, is that you're forever
tweaking it, upgrading, sidegrading etc, in an attempt to make is sound even
better. Once you have a system that's as accurate as you can get it, then
you just stop the whole upgrade stuff and enjoy the music. Accurate doesn't
even have to be expensive, as most commercial ordinary electronics is
perfectly accurate, and accurate 'speakers have been made for years, and are
available used for modest amounts. So, if you enjoy the whole hobby of
tweaking, upgrading etc, then fine, but if you just want to enjoy the music,
get an accurate system and call that it.

S.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 16:18:50 -0800, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message

[...]

Which is what Wilma Fine et al said that they were doing with the Mercury
CDs. But if that's true, then the Classic 45 RPM LP sounds BETTER than the
master tape! Something I'm not really prepared to acknowledge as likely.

When the
remastered LP sounds better than any of the CD releases
of this material, we cannot blame it on either the master
recording or the "mixdown".

Agreed, but we can blame the infrerior sound on the producer.

In no case can we blame the CD medium, because it is blameless.

I agree.

[quoted text deleted -- deb]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 05:40:52 -0800, Rob Tweed wrote
(in article ):

[...]

After all of this falderol lately about CD vs Vinyl, I pulled out a bunch of
my favorite LPs and played them over the weekend (Michell Gyrodec SE with the
Orb Platter, Audioquest PT-8 arm - damped, Sumiko Blackbird, AR SP-11). I had
forgotten (haven't played a record in about three years) how much shear sonic
pleasure the best of them give! Much more satisfying than CD, I'm afraid.
Can't explain it, but I LIKE what I'm hearing!
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 08:03:33 -0800, vlad wrote
(in article ):

[...]

What you say IS true to a certain extent. The term "High-Fidelity" means,
simply, a high-degree of faithfulness to the original. This, in itself, is
fairly vague, you must admit. Faithful to what? The original performance?
What if the original performance exists only inside the recording electronics
used to capture it (like it is with so much modern pop)? How do we know when
our playback is being faithful to such a performance, unless, we were there
at the mixing desk, listening to the final mix on the same make and model of
loudspeakers that the producers and musicians were listening to at the time?
Or does High-Fidelity refer to faithfulness to the electrical signal
representing the performance? All we can do is buy equipment which is low
distortion and hope for the best.

Remember, whatever High-Fidelity actually means, its a to a degree. That
degree is dictated by the states of the various arts and sciences involved.
In the 1930's, RCA called their "Photophone" sound-on-film process
'High-Fidelity" but with an upper limit of about 7KHz and huge peak in the
2-4 KHz region, I doubt seriously if any of us would agree that it's
high-fidelity anything.

What it comes down to is that modern Hi-Fi is the purveyor or an illusion.
The illusion is that of either being metaphorically transported to a live
performance, or, having that live performance brought into our living room.
Various industry pundits even argue over which of those is the most
efficacious approach to High-Fidelity reproduction.

So, you can't blame audiophiles, for finally, resorting to an attitude that
says that High-Fidelity is what sounds good to them. And that attitude covers
a multitude of different opinions. Most of us weren't at the original
performance/recording session. Many recording sessions produce performances
that don't even exist in real time or space. How are we to know, then, what
constitutes a "...closeness to the original signal recorded on the media."
when we don't know what that signal is representing in terms of the sound?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 08:53:10 -0800, wrote
(in article ):

On Nov 4, 8:03�am, vlad wrote:
[...]

Well, it CAN'T be, if you come down to it. Not being present at the original
session that produced that "signal", we have no idea what it's supposed to
sound like. We can believe that the CD represents what the record company,
and the artists want to sell. We can make sure that our playback systems are
as neutral and coloration free as possible. We can choose speakers that we
deem as being neutral and wide range, but we can never be sure that this is
what the record company intended. For instance, what can one say about a rock
recording that is being played-back on state of the art electronics and say,
Magneplanar MG-3.6 speakers (certainly a good choice for speakers)? Is this
representative of the artist or producers' intentions? I'd say no, because 9
chances out of 10, I'd bet that the recording was mixed and "realized" on JBL
studio monitors - about as far from a pair of Maggies as one can get. Sure,
the Maggies'll sound great, but they won't sound like what the producers and
artists heard when they approved the final product of the recording sessions
and therefore won't represent a "high degree of faithfulness" to that sound.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
vlad vlad is offline

On Nov 4, 3:10*pm, Sonnova wrote:

So, you can't blame audiophiles, for finally, resorting to an attitude that
says that High-Fidelity is what sounds good to them. And that attitude covers
a multitude of different opinions. Most of us weren't at the original
performance/recording session. Many recording sessions produce performances
that don't even exist in real time or space. How are we to know, then, what
constitutes a "...closeness to the original signal recorded on the media."
when we don't know what that signal is representing in terms of the sound?

If you noticed I did not blame audiophiles for anything. If Hi-Fi
means "whatever pleases me most" then
may be we have to replace it with Mo-Pl "Most Pleasing". Then we will
have as many Mo-Pl's as many hi-enders are there. BTW, is SOTA the
collection of equipment that provides Hi-Fi or Mo-Pl? I think it is
rather Mo-Pl.

About "...closeness to the original signal". Yes, I don't know in most
cases how original performance sounded live. However, I believe that
it is a duty of recording engineer and mastering engineer after him to
provide a recording that is as close as possible to original live
sound. And if it is the case then I trust their judgment and prefer
equipment that provide Hi-Fi in a sense of "...closeness to the
original signal recorded on the media.". Did I make myself clear?

vlad

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Rob Tweed" wrote in message

The "problem" with digital is that once you have the
signal digitised, the reading of that signal is always
going to be perfect - you can't do anything to improve
it.

Of course you can *improve* sound that has been digitized, in the same sense
that anolog sound has been *improved* for years. Just put some standard
signal processors into the signal path.

*All* of the things that has been done to the LP format for past several
decades havn't improved it technically. At best those changes have only
changed how the LP sounded. In many cases not even that has happened.

So it's a technically solvable problem which can no
longer be tinkered with to improve. My commodity DVD
drive in my laptop, or the drive in a 30 pound player
from my local supermarket can read that digital stream
from a CD perfectly.

Well, close enough to fool the ear, in many cases.

So what's the fun in that?

But, that's not the only way to have fun. I really believe that if more
audiophiles obtained effective equalizers and learned how to use them
properly, there would be more happy campers.

And of
course, from the expensive, high profit-margin hi-fi
manufacturer's point of view, where's the market in that?

In fact most the high-profit-margin high end vinyl playback equipment
manufacturers have been at best playing with the FR curve of their products.
In many cases they have been selling placebos.

Therein, I believe, lies one of the key reasons for the
mythology of "analog sound" or "vinyl sound". Its
reproduction can never be perfect but can always be
improved.

Well, in all of the cases swhere there actually was a significant change in
the sound some new pieces of vinyl equipment, it was almost certainly
obtained by making small changes in its frequency response.

Nothing magic about that, nothing that people can't do for themselves at
home.