Jay Levitt

Default "Average" PC speakers for checking mixes?

Just as Auratones were roughly representative of clock radios, and NS-
10s of home speakers, I imagine that even as we speak, folks are adding
cheap mini desktop speakers to their meter bridges to approximate what
things are going to sound like when someone pops their CD into the PC.

Are there any popular choices?

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | Hi!
**bg**

Hey Jay,

Every set that I've heard sounds just great, quite stunning in fact,
especially with a woofer at yer feet, tho you must be quite close.

Almost as good as headphones, eh?

-bg-
--
www.thelittlecanadaheadphoneband.ca
www.lchb.ca

"Jay Levitt" wrote in message
Just as Auratones were roughly representative of clock radios, and NS-
10s of home speakers, I imagine that even as we speak, folks are adding
cheap mini desktop speakers to their meter bridges to approximate what
things are going to sound like when someone pops their CD into the PC.

Are there any popular choices?

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | Hi!
Faster: jay at jay dot eff-em | Where are we going?
http://www.jay.fm | Why am I in this handbasket?

Arny Krueger

"Jay Levitt" wrote in message

Just as Auratones were roughly representative of clock radios, and NS-
10s of home speakers, I imagine that even as we speak, folks are
adding cheap mini desktop speakers to their meter bridges to
approximate what things are going to sound like when someone pops
their CD into the PC.

Right. Relevant and valid.

Are there any popular choices?

Here's a toughie - approximate what things are going to sound like in a
moving vehicle, without just burning a CD and playing it in the moving
vehicle.

Particle Salad

"Jay Levitt" wrote in message
Just as Auratones were roughly representative of clock radios, and NS-
10s of home speakers, I imagine that even as we speak, folks are adding
cheap mini desktop speakers to their meter bridges to approximate what
things are going to sound like when someone pops their CD into the PC.

Are there any popular choices?

Back in the 90's, the Apple speakers (can't remember the model, but I have a
pair in the studio still) were the defacto standard for this (I created a
ton of multimedia audio in that period, including tons of 8 bit 11khz for CD
ROMS). However, in truth, it if works on auratones, it'll work fine on
cheap multimedia speakers. I don't think you need an extra set if you have
a set of auratones.

I use an old cheap Sony boombox that I bought in the late 80's... kind of
like my secret weapon. They have an aux in for connecting a CD player
(stereo mini). If your mix sounds good on the Sony and on your other
monitors, you're probably all set.

Jasper

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 01:39:40 -0400, Jay Levitt wrote:

Just as Auratones were roughly representative of clock radios, and NS-
10s of home speakers, I imagine that even as we speak, folks are adding
cheap mini desktop speakers to their meter bridges to approximate what
things are going to sound like when someone pops their CD into the PC.

Are there any popular choices?

Hi,

Maybe not a popular choices but you could check these out.

TRIPLE P Pyramid Loudspeaker

http://www.hhb.co.uk/hhb/uk/products/detail.asp?ID=1647

Regards

Jasper

Jasper

[please remove |remove| from e-mail adress for reply]

reddred

"Jay Levitt" wrote in message
Just as Auratones were roughly representative of clock radios, and NS-
10s of home speakers, I imagine that even as we speak, folks are adding
cheap mini desktop speakers to their meter bridges to approximate what
things are going to sound like when someone pops their CD into the PC.

Are there any popular choices?

Creative labs speakers from wal-mart or anything mid-price from aopen or
acer, and you'll have what most people have on their desktops.

jb

Bob Olhsson

"Jay Levitt" wrote in message
Just as Auratones were roughly representative of clock radios, and NS-
10s of home speakers, I imagine that even as we speak, folks are adding
cheap mini desktop speakers to their meter bridges to approximate what
things are going to sound like when someone pops their CD into the PC.

Auratones and NS-10s were both found to translate exceptionally well. A
great many similar speakers didn't.
--

Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

Peter Larsen

Jay Levitt wrote:

Just as Auratones were roughly representative of clock radios, and NS-
10s of home speakers, I imagine that even as we speak, folks are adding
cheap mini desktop speakers to their meter bridges to approximate what
things are going to sound like when someone pops their CD into the PC.

Are there any popular choices?

Hmmm ... a pair of JBL Control 1xtreme comes to mind. Should be around
USD 99.95 to USD 120 pr. pair over your way.

Jay Levitt |

Kind regards

Peter Larsen