Kalle L.

Default is there an FAQ on basic mastering using software?

I'm not clear on the difference, although my impression is that it's the
former. I'm trying to take care of the artistic ones in the studio, during
recording and mixing.

Jonathan,

I was in pretty much same kind of phase some years ago when it came to
mastering. I had done recordings for some years on a hard-disk -based
system, but didn't really know what mastering was about.

So what I'd suggest, do some internet searches, visit some
homerecording sites and check their FAQ's. You would propably want to
know the answer to the question: 'What is mastering?'. You have to
start from the basics, and make it clear to yourself what mastering
means. I'm sure that is explained in a couple of paragraphs somewhere
that is written for someone with just your level of experience and
knowledge.

After that, using similar methods, try to understand the differences
between recording, mixing and mastering processes. Again: you gotta
understand the basics so you can dive deeper into the details, terms
and advices that people here give, for example. You need to learn to
ground level this first before you can climb higher (I would say 'in
the tree of knowledge of the art of producing music' but that would
sound just a weeny bit too pompous, now wouldn't it) up the ladder.

When you have accomplished these, you can start to learn about how to
do the mastering process. That has to do with the subject of this
thread. And for that art alone there is so much info on the web that
you'll propably drown in it.

Good luck!

Best,
Kalle
Mike Rivers

In article @ writes:

Is there an article or FAQ on using these programs for basic 2-channel
mastering? I.e., compressing, limiting, EQing, raising volume, etc..

There's a pretty decent book by Craig Anderton on the subject,
published by Wizoo.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Mike

"£ Î Z @ R Ð" wrote in message ...
If you can't do #1, the others don't matter

If you can't answer #4, you need help from someone with more experience

than
you in diagnosing and solving this sort of problem.

If you have no clue and no really accurate way to evaluate what you have

(no
truly honest monitor system), which most beginers do not, then your

blissful
ignorance allows you to go at it gleefully with reckless abandon... do
ANYTHING you want to to it! Since you can't know what's WRONG, and you

can't
tell when you have it RIGHT, then if then you chose not to
afford/bother/wait to get help from someone who does and can show you a
thing or three, it doesn't much matter WHAT you do to it and you can just
whack away at it until you like what you hear. Experimentation of this

sort
is the only truly workable self-education method that works with this sort
of thing. I'd suggest going slow, taking notes and saving each version

that
you tweak so you can go back and see what works, what didin't and

understand
why.

That was a very thoughtful response, thanks. I totally understand what
you're saying, and I certainly fall into the "blissfully ignorant" category.
I think I have a good ear, but I'm at such a loss regarding studio technique
that I find myself in much the same position I was in when I first picked up
the guitar -- I know exactly how I want it to sound, but I don't have the
knowledge/wherewithal to achieve it. It's pretty frustrating. And worse,
I don't know anyone I can call and ask "what should i try in order to solve
this problem"

So that was basically what I was asking.... I climbed the steep learning
curve in recording my music (www.guestroomproject.com), and now I'd like to
take a stab at mastering using software, but I just don't even know where to
begin...

--

- Jonathan

JUST UPDATED (6-21-04) with TWO new songs!
Go to http://www.guestroomproject.com/ to
hear some music from my upcoming solo album,
the Guestroom Project. I play all the instruments.

--

- Jonathan

JUST UPDATED (6-21-04) with TWO new songs!
Go to http://www.guestroomproject.com/ to
hear some music from my upcoming solo album,
the Guestroom Project. I play all the instruments.

"JoVee" wrote in message
in article , £ Î Z @ R Ð at
wrote on 8/10/04 6:05 PM:

Is there an article or FAQ on using ... programs for basic 2-channel
mastering? I.e., compressing, limiting, EQing, raising volume, etc..

or... is there a beginner's guide to final mastering (whether using

software
or not)? I.e., tips for an overall EQ, compressing, raising the volume,
etc.? I mean REAL beginner's guide...

Thanks.

It's like pro photo shooting/finishing/prep for publication or art
printing....

1) examine it under extremely hi-accuracy conditions
2) Does it look (sound) the way you want it to?
3) If so, you're done.
4) If not, discover and define what's not right.
5) Correct it accordingly.

[...]

Actually you might want to check your local library. My main gig is a
librarian and we have one of the Craig Anderton recording books. They
make for pretty good beginning primers. Kind of opposite to what most
people think, the greatest skill is needed when you are working with
less and that applies to two track, stereo mastering. Any change you
make effects the whole mix so you have to understand to the nth degree
what you are doing so you don't butcher the stuff.

I am by no means a mastering engineer but usually you can attain
reasonable results by following nine or ten rules of thumb. A good
book to have in hte long run as well is the Master Hanbook of
Accoustics. Also found at most libraries.

Mike
http://www.mmeproductions.com