Orville Phillips

Default Frequency Responce HDCD vs SACD vs DVDA

What are the technical specs such as frequency responce and sampling
frequency between HDCD, SACD and DVDA. Whatever happened to HDCD and
where can we find listing of releases on these formats. Also can old
recordings be reissued on these formats or does the recording have to
be done from the beginning in the particular format.
Thanks,
Orville,
west

"Orville Phillips" wrote in message
What are the technical specs such as frequency responce and sampling
frequency between HDCD, SACD and DVDA. Whatever happened to HDCD and
where can we find listing of releases on these formats. Also can old
recordings be reissued on these formats or does the recording have to
be done from the beginning in the particular format.
Thanks,
Orville,

How about, given the same CD in the different formats, what is the
difference in subjective listening?
Cordially,
west

Bromo

On 5/10/04 11:20 AM, in article E4Nnc.19603$z06.3236961@attbi_s01, "west"
wrote:

"Orville Phillips" wrote in message
What are the technical specs such as frequency responce and sampling
frequency between HDCD, SACD and DVDA. Whatever happened to HDCD and
where can we find listing of releases on these formats. Also can old
recordings be reissued on these formats or does the recording have to
be done from the beginning in the particular format.
Thanks,
Orville,

How about, given the same CD in the different formats, what is the
difference in subjective listening?

If there was a "HDCD" off switch on a player ... ?

I have found HDCD even when decoded by a non-HDCD player can sound very good
- making me think that a lot fo the difference is the closer attention paid
to the sound ... ? Anyone else think the same way?
Kalman Rubinson

On 10 May 2004 23:11:38 GMT, Bromo wrote:

I have found HDCD even when decoded by a non-HDCD player can sound very good
- making me think that a lot fo the difference is the closer attention paid
to the sound ... ? Anyone else think the same way?

Of course. Skill and care (or the lack thereof) in the preparation
swamps all the the technical differences.

Kal

west

How about HRCD, HRCD-2, HRCD24; HDCD & Hybrid Multichannel SACD? Can anyone
delineate the formats as far as sound goes? I bought a couple of Jazz HRCDs
(Misty Mood of the Three Blind Mice & Autumn in Seattle) FIM Japanese Label.
The sound quality was out of this world. They have Jazz at the Pawnshop
reissued in HRCD (High Resolution CD) and some of my audiophile friends and
I can not distinguish it from SACD.
What gives gentlemen? Instead of technical comparisons, tell us what you
think about the sound quality. I think this point is very valid because IMO
I feel that the type of CD format in most cases can affect the sound quality
more than the brand of CD Player. In other words a $25.00 CD type Upgrade
can have more impact on the sound than a $3000 Player upgrade.
Cordially,
west

"Bromo" wrote in message
On 5/10/04 7:59 AM, in article , "Orville
Phillips" wrote:

What are the technical specs such as frequency responce and sampling
frequency between HDCD, SACD and DVDA. Whatever happened to HDCD and
where can we find listing of releases on these formats. Also can old
recordings be reissued on these formats or does the recording have to
be done from the beginning in the particular format.
Thanks,
Orville,

I have found that a lot of the "HDCD" releases mixed in usually labeled in
small letters on the back of the CD jewel case. Been seeing it on a lot

of
"best of" remasters.

Kalman Rubinson

IMO, the care and effort in producing the recording is paramount and
of much greater impact on the quality of the results, technically and
subjectively, than the format or, in some cases, the equipment.

Besides, until you can point to a recording made in all such formats
without any changes, how can one make a valid distinction. In some
cases, we have decent recordings on one or two formats but, even then,
one cannot be sure about how they were processed.

Kal

Phillips" wrote:

What are the technical specs such as frequency responce and sampling
frequency between HDCD, SACD and DVDA. Whatever happened to HDCD and
where can we find listing of releases on these formats. Also can old
recordings be reissued on these formats or does the recording have to
be done from the beginning in the particular format.
Thanks,
Orville,

I have found that a lot of the "HDCD" releases mixed in usually labeled in
small letters on the back of the CD jewel case. Been seeing it on a lot

of
"best of" remasters.

Bromo

On 5/12/04 6:02 PM, in article iaxoc.35224$536.6464969@attbi_s03, "west"
wrote:

In other words a $25.00 CD type Upgrade
can have more impact on the sound than a $3000 Player upgrade.
Cordially,
west

A bad recording will sound bad - and the lack of well recorded, well
mastered source material will not be improved by the most accurate playback
mechanisms ...

Bob Marcus

west wrote:

How about HRCD, HRCD-2, HRCD24; HDCD & Hybrid Multichannel SACD? Can anyone
delineate the formats as far as sound goes? I bought a couple of Jazz HRCDs
(Misty Mood of the Three Blind Mice & Autumn in Seattle) FIM Japanese
Label.
The sound quality was out of this world. They have Jazz at the Pawnshop
reissued in HRCD (High Resolution CD) and some of my audiophile friends and
I can not distinguish it from SACD.
What gives gentlemen? Instead of technical comparisons, tell us what you
think about the sound quality. I think this point is very valid because IMO
I feel that the type of CD format in most cases can affect the sound
quality
more than the brand of CD Player. In other words a $25.00 CD type Upgrade
can have more impact on the sound than a $3000 Player upgrade.

I think what you are referring to is XRCD, not HRCD. XRCD is not a different
physical format; it is a better mastering of a traditional Redbook CD. What
you've discovered is that mastering is what makes the big difference.

Iif you did a really careful comparison, I suspect you could hear a
difference between XRCD and SACD, since they almost certainly are not using
the same master.

bob

Best Restaurant Giveaway Ever! Vote for your favorites for a chance to win
$1 million! http://local.msn.com/special/giveaway.asp