Posted to rec.audio.tech
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Banning Opto and Vlave equipment?

Has the world gone mad? Is this an urban myth or are we soon to lose all our
nice comps and valve gear?

I've just heard that Europe is proposing to ban Cadmium based Opto couplers,
and further down the line to ban the use of Thermionic Valves altogether
(presumably only in new equipment).

Haven't had time to look at much but found this exemption proposal from Joe
Meek, who use Cadmium based sensors in most of their comps.

http://circa.europa.eu/Public/irc/en...c/_IT_1.0_&a=d

Is this the end of civilisation as we know it?

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
Has the world gone mad? Is this an urban myth or are we soon to lose all
our nice comps and valve gear?

I've just heard that Europe is proposing to ban Cadmium based Opto
couplers, and further down the line to ban the use of Thermionic Valves
altogether (presumably only in new equipment).

Haven't had time to look at much but found this exemption proposal from
Joe Meek, who use Cadmium based sensors in most of their comps.

http://circa.europa.eu/Public/irc/en...c/_IT_1.0_&a=d

Is this the end of civilisation as we know it?

Just the latest example of European Madness.
Perhaps induced by drinking water contaminated
with lead leached out of landfills full of solder. :-)

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
Has the world gone mad? Is this an urban myth or are we soon to lose all
our nice comps and valve gear?

I've just heard that Europe is proposing to ban Cadmium based Opto
couplers, and further down the line to ban the use of Thermionic Valves
altogether (presumably only in new equipment).

Haven't had time to look at much but found this exemption proposal from
Joe Meek, who use Cadmium based sensors in most of their comps.

http://circa.europa.eu/Public/irc/en...c/_IT_1.0_&a=d

Is this the end of civilisation as we know it?

Just the latest example of European Madness.
Perhaps induced by drinking water contaminated
with lead leached out of landfills full of solder. :-)

Soetimes I wonder how much lead from solder I have floating around in my
body. Then I forget what I was just thinking about .....

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:

Has the world gone mad? Is this an urban myth or are we soon to lose all our
nice comps and valve gear?

I've just heard that Europe is proposing to ban Cadmium based Opto couplers,

Cadmium was banned with the introduction of RoHS.

Sensible manufacturers will already have applied for an exemption (on the basis of no suitable alternative) years ago.

and further down the line to ban the use of Thermionic Valves altogether
(presumably only in new equipment).

Where did you get this idea from ?

Haven't had time to look at much but found this exemption proposal from Joe
Meek, who use Cadmium based sensors in most of their comps.

http://circa.europa.eu/Public/irc/en...c/_IT_1.0_&a=d

Looks to me like PMI Audio aren't very on the ball.
http://www1.silonex.com/announcements/RoHS_Letter.pdf

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:

Has the world gone mad? Is this an urban myth or are we soon to lose all our
nice comps and valve gear?

I've just heard that Europe is proposing to ban Cadmium based Opto couplers

As I said earlier, that was ages back.

Farnell still sell them.
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/Optoelectr...sp?sku=3168773

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
Has the world gone mad? Is this an urban myth or are we soon to lose all
our nice comps and valve gear?

I've just heard that Europe is proposing to ban Cadmium based Opto
couplers, and further down the line to ban the use of Thermionic Valves
altogether (presumably only in new equipment).

**Seems unlikely to me. A valve (CRT) is still the most efficient type of TV
set available. All microwave ovens use thermionic valves, as do most high
frequency, high power devices.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ron Capik Ron Capik is offline

Trevor Wilson wrote:

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
Has the world gone mad? Is this an urban myth or are we soon to lose all
our nice comps and valve gear?

I've just heard that Europe is proposing to ban Cadmium based Opto
couplers, and further down the line to ban the use of Thermionic Valves
altogether (presumably only in new equipment).

**Seems unlikely to me. A valve (CRT) is still the most efficient type of TV
set available. All microwave ovens use thermionic valves, as do most high
frequency, high power devices.
--
Trevor Wilson

Ah, but don't you know... all those thermionic emissions contribute
to global warming! ;-) :-) :-}

Later...

Ron Capik cynic in training

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bill Ruys Bill Ruys is offline

"Ron Capik" wrote in message

Ah, but don't you know... all those thermionic emissions contribute
to global warming! ;-) :-) :-}

Later...

Ron Capik cynic in training
--

A few years ago, CRC had to stop making their Quick Freeze electronic
coolant spray as it contained CFCs which are supposed to be damaging to the

NASA had to stop using Freon based insulating foam to make the greenies
happy too. The old Freon foam never damaged the Space Shuttle's heat tiles
or panels. We all know what the new "green" foam did to the Columbia.

Silly thing is, you don't hear much about the ozone layer and CFCs any more.
Probably because the science doesn't and never did stack up. CFCs are too
heavy to get to the upper atmosphere. And Ozone naturally occurs when
oxygen is exposed ultraviolet light. Give it long enough, and it returns to
oxygen. That's why there's a "hole in the ozone layer" over Antarctica
after a southern hemisphere winter.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

and further down the line to ban the use of Thermionic Valves altogether
(presumably only in new equipment).

Where did you get this idea from ?

Well this is what my post is really about. This came from a shop manager of
a major musical equipment retailer and I just wondered how much truth there
really is in this. I will try and confirm his source - if it came from Head
Office then maybe there's something to be concerned about.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message

and further down the line to ban the use of Thermionic Valves altogether
(presumably only in new equipment).

Where did you get this idea from ?

Well this is what my post is really about. This came from a shop manager
of a major musical equipment retailer and I just wondered how much truth
there really is in this. I will try and confirm his source - if it came
from Head Office then maybe there's something to be concerned about.

Gareth.

Hmmm, now it seems this info came from "talking to a friend in the
business". Silly boys gossiping and Chinese Whispers maybe. Mind you, I
wouldn't be at all surprised to find that some Euro Beurocrat was having a
go at this.

Crisis averted then for now.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message
.. .

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
Has the world gone mad? Is this an urban myth or are we soon to lose all
our nice comps and valve gear?

I've just heard that Europe is proposing to ban Cadmium based Opto
couplers, and further down the line to ban the use of Thermionic Valves
altogether (presumably only in new equipment).

**Seems unlikely to me. A valve (CRT) is still the most efficient type of
TV set available. All microwave ovens use thermionic valves, as do most
high frequency, high power devices.

I think the point is to make any hazadous parts recyclable or treatable -
In some part of the world, TV manufacturers take back their old TV's from
their customers and dispose of them properly. You can't just take a fridge
to a dump in the UK without paying for proper disposal either, same with car
tyres.

So what do you do with all these toxic old Valves?. Either you ban them
like lead solder and Cadmium or offer a safe disposal service. Or just
ignore the problem.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Trevor Wilson" wrote
"Gareth Magennis" wrote

[...]

The business about cadmium in photocells is just idiot Euro-nanniness. The
quantity is minute. I'm not aware of anyone ceasing to use them on account of
RoHS.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mogens V. Mogens V. is offline

Eeyore wrote:
The business about cadmium in photocells is just idiot Euro-nanniness...

Well, we _are_ exposed to weird ideas here in EU at times.
Like in the early EU years, when they tried to standardize the curvation
of bananas and, lo and behold, set standard sizes for condomes - and I
don't think it was set for the 'standard' 10" porn size :-D

--
Kind regards,
Mogens V.

Sex obviously must be a religious experience:
Everytime it's getting real good, women cries 'Oh my God'!
-- Mogens V

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Karl Uppiano Karl Uppiano is offline

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

[...]

Soetimes I wonder how much lead from solder I have floating around in my
body. Then I forget what I was just thinking about .....

I used to absent-mindedly chew on the solder I was using to build my
Heathkits when I was in high school. I don't think I'm mad, but I do vote
conservative...

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Karl Uppiano" wrote in message
I used to absent-mindedly chew on the solder I was using to build my
Heathkits when I was in high school. I don't think I'm mad, but I do vote
conservative...

That's the problem, no conservative thinks he's mad :-)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

"Mogens V." wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
The business about cadmium in photocells is just idiot Euro-nanniness...

Well, we _are_ exposed to weird ideas here in EU at times.
Like in the early EU years, when they tried to standardize the curvation
of bananas and, lo and behold, set standard sizes for condomes - and I
don't think it was set for the 'standard' 10" porn size :-D

Apparently the European standard size for condoms is a little generous for
Indians. Now the problem is... how you come up with an Indian standard size and
avoid mentioning the reason why ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 15:20:07 GMT, Eeyore
wrote:

"Mogens V." wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
The business about cadmium in photocells is just idiot Euro-nanniness...

Well, we _are_ exposed to weird ideas here in EU at times.
Like in the early EU years, when they tried to standardize the curvation
of bananas and, lo and behold, set standard sizes for condomes - and I
don't think it was set for the 'standard' 10" porn size :-D

Apparently the European standard size for condoms is a little generous for
Indians. Now the problem is... how you come up with an Indian standard size and
avoid mentioning the reason why ?

I suspect they would adopt the same method they used when making the
close-fitting urination tubes for US astronauts. They called the three
sizes Large, Huge and Enormous.

Apparently when Japanese use European condoms, they have to buy one
between two and share.

Ego is All

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Dezzy Dezzy is offline
Junior Member

Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Capik View Post
Trevor Wilson wrote:

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
Has the world gone mad? Is this an urban myth or are we soon to lose all
our nice comps and valve gear?

I've just heard that Europe is proposing to ban Cadmium based Opto
couplers, and further down the line to ban the use of Thermionic Valves
altogether (presumably only in new equipment).

**Seems unlikely to me. A valve (CRT) is still the most efficient type of TV
set available. All microwave ovens use thermionic valves, as do most high
frequency, high power devices.
--
Trevor Wilson

Ah, but don't you know... all those thermionic emissions contribute
to global warming! ;-) :-) :-}

Later...

Ron Capik cynic in training
--
Biggest load of horse **** ever, the fact the world still needs them is the main factor, people are always saying tubes are temperamental, but the fact remains, they are more reliable then the alternative

FA : UREI Universal Audio Teletronix LA-3A opto comp. pair NO RESERVE vott Pro Audio 0 September 17th 04 04:55 PM
FA : UREI Universal Audio Teletronix LA-3A opto comp. pair NO RESERVE vott Pro Audio 0 September 17th 04 04:55 PM
Opto-Compressors DaveDrummer Pro Audio 5 March 4th 04 03:58 AM
el-opto/caps? drewbass Pro Audio 8 December 5th 03 08:11 PM
FS- Inward Connections stereo tube opto compressor MHLINE Pro Audio 0 September 14th 03 06:59 AM