HONG KONGer

Default What do I need to measure the frequency responce of my speakers?

I want to make the sound "flat". What equipment do I need to measure it?

Arny Krueger

"HONG KONGer" wrote in message

I want to make the sound "flat". What equipment do I need to measure it?

You need

a signal source
a calibrated microphone
analytical hardware or software

These days the signal source and analysis functions are generally performed
using a PC with a high quality sound card in it.

Popular software for this purpose are listed on these web pages:

http://www.me-au.com/measure.html

http://www.etfacoustic.com/

http://www.mlssa.com/

http://www.siasoft.com/index.shtml

http://www.audioscientific.com/Audio...ware_Links.htm

Lionel Chapuis

Arny Krueger a écrit :

"HONG KONGer" wrote in message

I want to make the sound "flat". What equipment do I need to measure it?

You need

a signal source
a calibrated microphone
analytical hardware or software

These days the signal source and analysis functions are generally performed
using a PC with a high quality sound card in it.

Popular software for this purpose are listed on these web pages:

http://www.me-au.com/measure.html

http://www.etfacoustic.com/

http://www.mlssa.com/

http://www.siasoft.com/index.shtml

http://www.audioscientific.com/Audio...ware_Links.htm

Arny you see when you follow my advises you can do a very good job...
Keep on working hard.

Lionel

Joseph Oberlander

Arny Krueger wrote:
"HONG KONGer" wrote in message

I want to make the sound "flat". What equipment do I need to measure it?

You need

a signal source
a calibrated microphone
analytical hardware or software

(snip)

And one more thing - the actual room you intend to use it in.

A "flat" speaker may sound terrible in a room due to furnishings,
carpet, or other features. It's not quite as simple as plugging
it all into a computer - you have to fine tweak it along the way.

Arny Krueger

"Joseph Oberlander" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:
"HONG KONGer" wrote in message

I want to make the sound "flat". What equipment do I need to
measure it?

You need

a signal source
a calibrated microphone
analytical hardware or software

(snip)

And one more thing - the actual room you intend to use it in.

Generally, that's pretty hard to avoid.

A "flat" speaker may sound terrible in a room due to furnishings,
carpet, or other features. It's not quite as simple as plugging
it all into a computer - you have to fine tweak it along the way.

Agreed.

HONG KONGer

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

These days the signal source and analysis functions are generally

performed
using a PC with a high quality sound card in it.

But the problem is that we shouldn't use a crappy mic and the analog input
of the soundcard. Any way around it?

Joseph Oberlander

Arny Krueger wrote:

And one more thing - the actual room you intend to use it in.

Generally, that's pretty hard to avoid.

You'd be surprized how many people build things in their garage
and never move them to the living room during the fine tweaking
stage.

Shoot, you'd be surprized how many people get crap stuck
up their butt and have to visit the E.R.

Glenn Zelniker

HONG KONGer wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

These days the signal source and analysis functions are generally

performed
using a PC with a high quality sound card in it.

But the problem is that we shouldn't use a crappy mic and the analog input
of the soundcard. Any way around it?

Even a bad soundcard will be sufficient to yield the degree of
accuracy you need for this kind of analysis.

GZ
Arny Krueger

"HONG KONGer" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

These days the signal source and analysis functions are generally
performed using a PC with a high quality sound card in it.

But the problem is that we shouldn't use a crappy mic and the analog
input of the soundcard. Any way around it?

Non-crappy mics for testing speakers are pretty easy and cheap - Behringer
ECM-8000.
You need a good mic preamp - One option are the mic preamps in a Behringer
UB802 mixer.
Sound card in your PC might be fine, or to be sure try a Turtle Beach Santa
Cruz.