alabaster

Default Really tall mic stands?

I'm interested in starting to do some basic recordings of high school
choirs/bands/etc. I've seen people do this by putting a matched pair of
microphones up on very tall microphone stands, but I have no clue where
to find these stands, what they're called, or how much they cost.

Sorry for the ignorance, but I'd appreciate any information you could
give me.

Thanks,
chris.
Fletch

alabaster wrote:
I'm interested in starting to do some basic recordings of high school
choirs/bands/etc. I've seen people do this by putting a matched pair of
microphones up on very tall microphone stands, but I have no clue where
to find these stands, what they're called, or how much they cost.

Sorry for the ignorance, but I'd appreciate any information you could
give me.

Thanks,
chris.

Atlas Sound still makes their monster stands with booms. They run around $300.00 or so. You can go
to www.fullcompass.com and find them. These are great people to deal with, too.

--fletch
dale

manfrotto light stands make great stable portable mic stands
they are designed to hold photographer's lighting instruments.
mic supply ,com has a good selection
http://micsupply.com/stands.htm
B&H also has them

Richard Crowley

"alabaster" wrote ...
I'm interested in starting to do some basic recordings of high
school choirs/bands/etc. I've seen people do this by putting a
matched pair of microphones up on very tall microphone stands,
but I have no clue where to find these stands, what they're called,
or how much they cost.

Light stands are often used for that kind of application.
I've seen some suitable ones from eBay vendors like "Amvona", etc.
The stands I have bought from them so far have been extremely good
quality at an amazing low price. (Chinese knock-offs, but good quality
knock-offs.)
Geoff Wood

"alabaster" wrote in message
I'm interested in starting to do some basic recordings of high school
choirs/bands/etc. I've seen people do this by putting a matched pair of
microphones up on very tall microphone stands, but I have no clue where to
find these stands, what they're called, or how much they cost.

Sorry for the ignorance, but I'd appreciate any information you could give
me.

K+M do an excellent tall boom stand model 21021 (as do Proel and others I
guess).

www.k-m.de

geoff

Scott Dorsey

alabaster wrote:
I'm interested in starting to do some basic recordings of high school
choirs/bands/etc. I've seen people do this by putting a matched pair of
microphones up on very tall microphone stands, but I have no clue where
to find these stands, what they're called, or how much they cost.

Most folks use lighting stands. The old Manfrotto Highboy was the
standard for years, but they have been discontinued. The Avenger line
has something that is okay. A trip to a camera store with a good lighting
department will turn up a lot.

Shure sells the S-15A, but it only goes up fifteen feet and it is kind of
flimsy. Wes Dooley at AEA sells a stand which is basically the original
version of the S-15, again only fifteen feet but it is very light to carry
while still remaining sturdy.

Peter Hill

"alabaster" wrote in message
I'm interested in starting to do some basic recordings of high school
choirs/bands/etc. I've seen people do this by putting a matched pair of
microphones up on very tall microphone stands, but I have no clue where to
find these stands, what they're called, or how much they cost.

Sorry for the ignorance, but I'd appreciate any information you could give
me.

Thanks,
chris.

I use a lighting stand. But be careful that when using lighting stands to
have a hefty sandbag or two to weigh it down as they can be a bit unstable
when a lot of people are around. Take out third party insurance as well.

Best regards

Peter

Roger Christie

"Fletch" wrote in message
alabaster wrote:
I'm interested in starting to do some basic recordings of high school
choirs/bands/etc. I've seen people do this by putting a matched pair of
microphones up on very tall microphone stands, but I have no clue where
to find these stands, what they're called, or how much they cost.

Sorry for the ignorance, but I'd appreciate any information you could
give me.

Thanks,
chris.

Atlas Sound still makes their monster stands with booms. They run around

$300.00 or so. You can go
to www.fullcompass.com and find them. These are great people to deal with,

too.

--fletch

The Atlas ones have somewhat dubious quality standards, though they do work
for the most part. Unfortunately, as best I can tell, the competition picks
up around $1000 or so.

Adrian Tuddenham

alabaster wrote:

I'm interested in starting to do some basic recordings of high school
choirs/bands/etc. I've seen people do this by putting a matched pair of
microphones up on very tall microphone stands, but I have no clue where
to find these stands, what they're called, or how much they cost.

Sorry for the ignorance, but I'd appreciate any information you could
give me.

I made one from a cheap tripod base I picked up at a builder's merchants
(they are used for setting-out levels) and a set of alloy tubes joined
together by split nylon collars clamped with 'Jubilee' clips (screwed
band clips). Part of a conventional mic stand formed the topmost
section, complete with swivels and mic clip. The counterbalance weight
was a couple of night-storage heater bricks.

If you have access to the school workshop, it could be a fun project
making one yourself.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
dale

then if you want the real thing try here
http://www.wesdooley.com/aea/Modular...ne_Stands.html

Richard Crowley

alabaster wrote:
I'm interested in starting to do some basic recordings of high
school choirs/bands/etc. I've seen people do this by putting
a matched pair of microphones up on very tall microphone
stands, but I have no clue where to find these stands, what
they're called, or how much they cost.

Tall light stands are useful for this type of application.

I have successfully used a 5/8x27 die on some light stands with
"baby"-size (5/8") studs. This allows you to directly screw on
the mic clip. Alternatively, there are adapters that allow mounting
mics on these stands.