Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Curiosity question about the explitive deleted bleep

We've all heard it on radio and TV.

I know you could do this by hand in a DAW but I'm wondinging in fact how it is typicaly done. I ask becasue I am impressed that the rise and decay time seem to be well controlled so you don't get a click at the edges, just a nice bEEEEp.
Seems like a little more thought went into it then just editing in tone.
And I've never seen a bleep button on a console.

So the question is, how in fact is this typicaly done?

Happy holidays

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro

200milli-sec of fade-in and fade out.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
We've all heard it on radio and TV.

I know you could do this by hand in a DAW but I'm wondinging in fact how it is typicaly done. I ask becasue I am impressed that the rise and decay time seem to be well controlled so you don't get a click at the edges, just a nice bEEEEp.
Seems like a little more thought went into it then just editing in tone.
And I've never seen a bleep button on a console.

So the question is, how in fact is this typicaly done?

My console has a bleep button. Just route 1kc tone from the oscillator
module to a buss. Pot it up and mute it.... voila!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 11:38:46 AM UTC-6, wrote:
200milli-sec of fade-in and fade out.

Doing inserts in Adobe Audition, there's the option of an automatic cross-fade. I use the software's tone generator, set to 440Hz.I set the cross-fade to 100ms.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

PStamler writes:

On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 11:38:46 AM UTC-6, wrote:
200milli-sec of fade-in and fade out.

Doing inserts in Adobe Audition, there's the option of an automatic cross-fade. I

use the software's tone generator, set to 440Hz.I set the cross-fade to 100ms.

These crossfade times of 100 ms or 200 ms for this purpose (bleeping) seem rather
long to me.

10-20 ms seems more appropriate to get a definitive "BLEEP" without any popping on
the in or out. The longer times might make the bleep sound rather anemic going in
and out.

But, give it a try for your purposes; see what works best for you.

Frank
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro

--
.

I was more interested in the workflow.

I think the answer is they typically use a piece of rack gear called "profanity delay" which has the big red or yellow actually button on it or remote controlled which has it all built in.

thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

wrote in message
We've all heard it on radio and TV.

I know you could do this by hand in a DAW but I'm wondinging in
fact how it is typicaly done. I ask becasue I am impressed that the
rise and decay time seem to be well controlled so you don't get a
click at the edges, just a nice bEEEEp.
Seems like a little more thought went into it then just editing in
tone.
And I've never seen a bleep button on a console.

So the question is, how in fact is this typicaly done?

On a Movieola, you stick a bloop (but no bleep) on the optical
soundtrack.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

None wrote:

On a Movieola, you stick a bloop (but no bleep) on the optical
soundtrack.

Good point, and the editor has a roll of adhesive magnetic track with a 1kc
tone, for making the 2-pop at the beginning of the reel, so you can put that
over top of the word on a magnetic track. That would fade in and out too,
since you make a diagonal cut.

Same thing for 1/4" tape although there you'd be splicing it in.

I have seen plenty of 16mm prints from TV station where someone has blooped
the dirty words out of the track with a sharpie or with black tape. At one
point I owned a print of M*A*S*H where the word "goddamn" as in "goddamn army"
had even been bleeped out.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article ,
Scott Dorsey wrote:
I have seen plenty of 16mm prints from TV station where someone has
blooped the dirty words out of the track with a sharpie or with black
tape. At one point I owned a print of M*A*S*H where the word "goddamn"
as in "goddamn army" had even been bleeped out.

Much more fun when Dolby optical arrived. ;-)

--
*To steal ideas from *one* person is plagiarism; from many, research*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.