Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sam Seagate Sam Seagate is offline

Default mobile monitor set up in the house?

I think I've seen discussion about this before, but because of
differences between the simple headphones I use in the house for mixing
versus the simple audio set up with speakers in the car, my mixes never
turn out quite right from a sonic standpoint because they sound crappy
in the car after having been mixed on headphones in the house.
Recently, I set up a remote laptop in the car which can access the
desktop's software and files in the house. I can then do whatever I
need to do to the mix from the car and using the car's audio system, but
I'm thinking that there must be a better way. Is it worth trying to set
up a mobile set up in the house using the same radio/ speakers as in the
car? Or maybe I need a better set of monitor headphones or maybe even
consider buying a pair of speakers, but I don't really have the space.
I use Sony MDR-V6's in the house, but these don't match what I hear on
the 4 speaker system in the car, which is generic and it's a Mercury
Sable 2000. So, nothing special but I would prefer something in the
house that more closely matches what I hear in the car.

Thanks for your help.

Sam
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/22/2014 6:05 AM, Sam Seagate wrote:
because of
differences between the simple headphones I use in the house for mixing
versus the simple audio set up with speakers in the car, my mixes never
turn out quite right from a sonic standpoint because they sound crappy
in the car after having been mixed on headphones in the house.

Mixing using just headphones is very hard to get right. If you listen to
a lot of music over the same headphones that you're using for mixing,
and if you work really hard to analyze mixes that transfer well between
headphones and the car, you can do it. However, mixing on speakers, in a
decent room (that's important, too) always works better for nearly
everyone. Find a way to set up speakers for mixing.

Often people will check a mix in a car, but unless you're mixing just to
listen in your car, that shouldn't be your benchmark.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Sam Seagate writes:

[...]

Sam - that's a fairly clever solution - moving out to the car - but unfortunately
you're likely trading one very skewed monitoring environment (the car) for another
(headphones).

As Lt. Commander Scott would say to Captain Kirk, "Ah kinna change the laws of
physics, captain" -- meaning, in a more perfect world, you'd have enough space to
set up some better monitors with some basic room treatments -- monitors and an
environment that you can "trust" to get you a better all-around representation.
You'd then have a better sense from the beginning what something might sound like in
a car, someone's living room or boom box, ear buds, etc.

So, it seems like you'll need to try several different things:

- some sort of monitors and treatment in your room; possibly moving to a bigger
room?

- better headphones or more than one pair?

- LOTS of listening with many different varieties of music on all of your monitoring
systems (including the car). Get a feel for the colorations of each system; this
might give you a general sense of where to start with your own stuff.

It's a little tough to do that right out of the gate (that is, doing your own "EQ
compensation" in your head for any given monitoring environment). It's even more
difficult if you've never worked in a good room before. But it's a start, and it's
something that most folks here have often had to do.

Others will likely have some additional ideas; good luck with it.

Frank
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Sam Seagate wrote:
I use Sony MDR-V6's in the house, but these don't match what I hear on
the 4 speaker system in the car, which is generic and it's a Mercury
Sable 2000. So, nothing special but I would prefer something in the
house that more closely matches what I hear in the car.

I did an article for recording a while back with an 8-inch full range
paging speaker that had two voice coils and could be driven in mono. It
sounds a lot like the 4x6 speakers in factory car radios.... but there's
no reason you can't go to a junkyard, get a couple 4x6 speakers, and put
them in sealed boxes with maybe half a cubic foot volume.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

If I may ask a dumb question: Are you anticipating that anyone besides you will ever listen to the recordings? If so, you need to take the advice of others who have responded and create a reasonably neutral monitoring environment in the house. That way you stand a fighting chance of making mixes that will translate to the many environments in which they'll be heard.

Peace,
Paul