What *is* High-end?

Old February 19th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default What *is* High-end?

> wrote in message ...
> Graham:
>
> Let me know about your BMW around 80K miles or so (with specific
> reference to the electical systems, central locking and dashboard
> instruments). Until then, be quiet as even a Yugo had a fair chance of
> that first 50K with minimal trouble. Also, let me know how your BMW
> does in marginal driving condtitions as a pretty front-heavy RWD
> vehicle. How does that back-end do? (And a Mercedes RWD wouldn't do
> much better, I agree).

My BMW has now done 125k miles, and is fine. Uses no oil, and everything
works as new. As to it being front-heavy, I don't know where you got that
from, they have a virtually perfect 50-50 weight balance, and I would rather
have my 5 series in the wet or ice than a FWD. At least I can control
oversteer, there's not a lot you can do about understeer. AWD would be nice
though.

> New does not necessarily equal "better". There are those who would deny
> the CD as not equalling vinyl (not me, but there are those). And for
> the record and for the life of me, I do not "get" SET, unless my sole
> goal were to listen to restricted source at low volume. It can be
> Ethereally Beautiful (how often have I said that??). But, with all due
> respect to the species, a decent little PP EL84-based amp dropped in
> place of the SET amp (all behind a curtain, of course), and I defy
> anyone here to tell the difference... until some challenging source
> comes along, of course. Then the SET system will fail when the fleas
> get tired.

I think a SET will make itself obvious even without challenging source
material. Even on simple stuff, for your "Ethereally Beautiful" I would
substitute " highly coloured".