Rob Adelman

Default Update on "Smooth Jazz" (former Mpls. classic rock station)

The station is actually doing very well, I am hearing it in restaurants,
on telephone holds, etc. I listen to it quite a bit myself. I like a lot
of what they are playing (though a bit too much of the saxophone
instrumentals). The sound quality really is much better than most of
what I hear on radio as Bob (Clearchannel program director) promised. I
asked him what they did and if he really thought smooth jazz was the
proper label for the format. I don't think he would mind me sharing this
info:

"The vocals and covers are there to serve as points of
access or familiarity for the many people who come into the format fresh
- for whom a steady diet of only instrumentals would prove too
adventuresome. It's been proven repeatedly across the country in
stations like this one that a careful combination of vocals and
instrumental is most successful."

"We backed off the compression (multi-band!) That's the sound trick."

-Rob

Luke Kaven

Rob Adelman wrote:

[...]
"The vocals and covers are there to serve as points of
access or familiarity for the many people who come into the format fresh
- for whom a steady diet of only instrumentals would prove too
adventuresome...."

These are some of the least adventuresome listeners in creation. This
is the music that stole bin space, air time, stage time, and column
inches from every honest jazz endeavor, simply by comandeering the
word "jazz". Even Kind Of Blue is almost too much for them. I
seethe.

Luke
Bob Chandler

Luke Kaven wrote in message . ..

These are some of the least adventuresome listeners in creation. This
is the music that stole bin space, air time, stage time, and column
inches from every honest jazz endeavor, simply by comandeering the
word "jazz". Even Kind Of Blue is almost too much for them. I
seethe.

Luke

"Smooth Jazz" is about a close to Jazz as George Bush's IQ is to
Albert Einstein's....

I seethe.

I vomit uncontrollably....

bob
Rob Adelman

EggHd wrote:
he mix they play is actually pretty good (i.m.o.), just very little real
jazz.

They are getting you hooked! Turn away from the light!

Maybe they do know their upper demo audience?

I am a channel flipper though. And a lot of the mix isn't so good. Way
to shmaltzy. How many instrumental saxaphone songs can one take?

EggHd

How many instrumental saxaphone songs can one take?

Exactly.

---------------------------------------

Luke Kaven

Rob Adelman wrote:
EggHd wrote:
he mix they play is actually pretty good (i.m.o.), just very little real
jazz.

They are getting you hooked! Turn away from the light!

Maybe they do know their upper demo audience?

I am a channel flipper though. And a lot of the mix isn't so good. Way
to shmaltzy. How many instrumental saxaphone songs can one take?

If the saxophonist is Charlie Parker, an infinite number. If the
saxophonist is Dave Koz, exactly zero.
EggHd

I get all the instrumental sax music I need on the Weather Channel.

LOL!!!!!!!!!

---------------------------------------
balt4house

You're not kidding. Our favorite thing in college was to leave the weather
channel on for whomever was passed out on the couch that morning - local on
the eights had some AWFUL music - and led to very strange dreams when the
hungover house guest awoke to tell of them....

-g

Don Cooper wrote in
:

Rob Adelman wrote:

I am a channel flipper though. And a lot of the mix isn't so good. Way
to shmaltzy. How many instrumental saxaphone songs can one take?

I get all the instrumental sax music I need on the Weather Channel.

Don