Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Bennett[_3_] John Bennett[_3_] is offline

Default Output 2 stereo wav files from computer to a mixer?

Hi

Is there a simple way of outputting 4 audio (or 2 stereo) tracks from a
windows computer to 4 inputs in a mixer?

I believe that a 5.1 surround sound audio sound card might provide me
with 4 separate tracks (ie 2 stereo tracks) to a mixer, but I can't find
any software that will simply provide the facility to play the tracks out!

I've been using a Zoom H2N to record open mic evenings, taking the pa
output direct to the XY input on the zoom and using the built in MS mics
for the audience and ambience. I find that editing 4 or 5 hours of
material in this way by mixing the (usually mono) pa track with the
ambient/audience stereo track is really painful using eg Audacity. I
would much prefer to mix the whole thing down in real time using real
"knobs" or faders and edit the final result from a mixed stereo track
afterwards

Thanks John
--
John Bennett johndotbennettatsmartemaildotcodotuk
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 9/10/2012 5:06 PM, John Bennett wrote:
Hi

Is there a simple way of outputting 4 audio (or 2 stereo)
tracks from a windows computer to 4 inputs in a mixer?

I believe that a 5.1 surround sound audio sound card might
provide me with 4 separate tracks (ie 2 stereo tracks) to a
mixer, but I can't find any software that will simply
provide the facility to play the tracks out!

You need a multitrack DAW (digital audio workstation)
program. Those will allow you to assign individual tracks to
discrete outputs. However, such programs also include a
software mixer, so you don't really need to go to the
outside world unless you want to.

Reaper is very popular and is inexpensive, and free to try
for a limited time before it starts to bug you too much.
PreSonus Studio One has a free version also which will do
what you want. Google for URLs to download.

I'm not sure if any of these programs will recognize
multiple outputs of a consumer type surround sound card
which doesn't come with an ASIO driver. Maybe ASIO4ALL will
give you access to individual outputs. You may need to buy
an interface (that's a fancy word for "sound card" that is
designed to work with this sort of application if you want
to use an outboard mixer.

But try doing it the "in the box" way first. You can use
whatever sound card you have now for listening to the stereo
mix that you create using the DAW program's software mixer.
Honestly, I prefer using an outboard mixer myself, but then
I have one, and the appropriate hardware to get from the
computer to the mixer. But the proverbial "everybody" is
mixing "in the box" these days.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tue 11 Sep 2012, Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

Thanks for these suggestions Mike. I've now looked at these programs and
how nice to find one that's free! They are really overkill for what I
want to do and don't appear to offer separate multitrack monitoring,
which is all I really want!

I'm not sure if any of these programs will recognize multiple outputs
of a consumer type surround sound card which doesn't come with an
ASIO driver.

I have discovered that Cool Edit Pro V 2.1 may have the facility I want.
Through its multichannel encoder I can select where and how each track
should be placed in the 5.1 surround environment and has a play all
monitoring facility. Until I get the surround sound card I ordered I
won't know for sure if it really works how I want it to! Unfortunately
even this ancient version of Cool Edit Pro costs a ridiculous $300 so I
am still looking. Be nice if Audacity were to add this facility one day.

Maybe ASIO4ALL will give you access to individual
outputs. You may need to buy an interface (that's a fancy word for
"sound card" that is designed to work with this sort of application
if you want to use an outboard mixer.

I found ASIO4ALL rather confusing and I lost the "Stereo mix" from
Windows audio. I uninstalled it and eventually got back where I started.
Until I get the card I won't really know how and if it's going to work.
If it does work I can adjust and listen to recordings made using the 4
track surround recording facility on my Zoom H2N as well. Then it's on
to try surround DVD Audio!

But try doing it the "in the box" way first. You can use whatever
sound card you have now for listening to the stereo mix that you
create using the DAW program's software mixer. Honestly, I prefer
using an outboard mixer myself, but then I have one, and the
appropriate hardware to get from the computer to the mixer. But the
proverbial "everybody" is mixing "in the box" these days.

For the particular project type I am working on I think it will be so
much easier to mix 2 stereo tracks on the fly using 2 knobs on the
mixer. But then I am a bit old fashioned;-)

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Regards John

--
John Bennett johndotbennettatsmartemaildotcodotuk
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/14/2012 9:51 AM, John Bennett wrote:

Thanks for these suggestions Mike. I've now looked at these
programs and how nice to find one that's free! They are
really overkill for what I want to do and don't appear to
offer separate multitrack monitoring, which is all I really
want!

With a DAW, you need to make your own signal paths. If you
have two stereo tracks and a 4-output sound card, you just
assign the output of one track to sound card outputs
(sometimes called inputs - go figure) 1-2 and the other
track to 3-4. Connect a set of speakers to each pair of
outputs.

Or you can assign both tracks to the same pair of outputs,
mix them in the DAW mixer, and solo either one (or mute the
other one) if you want to listen to one at a time.

For the particular project type I am working on I think it
will be so much easier to mix 2 stereo tracks on the fly
using 2 knobs on the mixer. But then I am a bit old
fashioned;-)

I always think that's easier, but then I HAVE a mixer and
it's all set and ready to go. Kids these days will have to
buy a mixer, find one in a thrift shop, or buy one "from
eBay for a great price but tell me, do they all hum like this?"

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff