Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
RichD RichD is offline

Default headphones

http://tinyurl.com/wsj-headphones

Seems pricey to me.
Is it necessary to spend this much, for good headphones?

--
Rich
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
RichD wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/wsj-headphones

Seems pricey to me.
Is it necessary to spend this much, for good headphones?

Maybe. Depends on what you want headphones for. Getting good sound quality
together with good isolation is not a trivial task.

If you don't need isolation and you're listening for pleasure and not looking
for something very analytic, try the Grado SR-60s, for around $75. They are
very clean-sounding.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
David Fox David Fox is offline

On Oct 19, 9:06*am, RichD wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/wsj-headphones

Seems pricey to me.
Is it necessary to spend this much, for good headphones?

--
Rich

Not at all. Try a pair of Grado SR60's. The sell for $79 at
Amazon. I haven't
tried out all of the headphones listed in the article, but the Grado's
have been
giant-killers for over 20 years. I still own my original set and
recently bought
its slightly more expensive cousin the SR80 ($99) for another
location. I'd be
hard pressed to tell the difference.

DF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
jrsnfld jrsnfld is offline

On Oct 19, 9:06*am, RichD wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/wsj-headphones

Seems pricey to me.
Is it necessary to spend this much, for good headphones?

--
Rich

Doesn't seem that pricey to me. In other words, you can spend a lot
more than that if you want to and get something great. You can also
spend less and get something rather good.

--Jeff
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
Alan Cooper Alan Cooper is offline

jrsnfld wrote in news:f385f589-28ca-44c0-9599-d793d26e450c@
27g2000prq.googlegroups.com:

On Oct 19, 9:06*am, RichD wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/wsj-headphones

Seems pricey to me.
Is it necessary to spend this much, for good headphones?

--
Rich

Doesn't seem that pricey to me. In other words, you can spend a lot
more than that if you want to and get something great. You can also
spend less and get something rather good.

Or... http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-EDIT.../dp/B004C3DUFS

AC

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
wkasimer wkasimer is offline

On Oct 19, 12:06*pm, RichD wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/wsj-headphones

Seems pricey to me.
Is it necessary to spend this much, for good headphones?

It depends upon how fussy you are, how you're planning to use them
(home stereo vs. portable), how much time you spend listening with
headphones, and how much disposable cash you have on hand.

Others have already mentioned the Grado SR60's, which are a terrific
bargain, but are not the most comfortable headphones on the market by
any means.

I don't think, BTW, that any of the phones in the WSJ article are
suited to use with portable devices, and most would probably require a
separate headphone amplifier to achieve sound worthy of the $$$ spent.

Bill
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
jrsnfld jrsnfld is offline

On Oct 19, 9:06*am, RichD wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/wsj-headphones

Seems pricey to me.
Is it necessary to spend this much, for good headphones?

--
Rich

Doesn't seem that pricey to me. In other words, you can spend a lot
more than that if you want to and get something great. You can also
spend less and get something rather good.

Or...http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-EDIT.../dp/B004C3DUFS

AC

LOL! Handmade in Bavaria with ruthenium coating, no less!

The Amazon reviews of that turkey (peacock?) are absolutely hilarious!
And so are Amazon's recommendations ("What do other customers buy
after viewing this item? The $34.95 Koss PortaPro!").

At that price range I might consider moving up the ranks of Stax
earspeakers and amps. But then you can't really use those with your
diamond-studded iPad special edition...

--Jeff

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
Allen[_7_] Allen[_7_] is offline

On Oct 19, 9:06 am, wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/wsj-headphones

Seems pricey to me.
Is it necessary to spend this much, for good headphones?

--
Rich

Doesn't seem that pricey to me. In other words, you can spend a lot
more than that if you want to and get something great. You can also
spend less and get something rather good.

Or... http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-EDIT.../dp/B004C3DUFS

AC

Ah! The headphones for the now-infamous 1 percent. I must have my broker
order 23 pairs (one for each pair in my modest dwelling, not counting
the 16 bathrooms) and have tutors sent over to instruct my staff of
valets on their proper use and installing on my head.
Allen

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
Steve[_22_] Steve[_22_] is offline

On 10/19/2011 12:12 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In ,
wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/wsj-headphones

Seems pricey to me.
Is it necessary to spend this much, for good headphones?

Maybe. Depends on what you want headphones for. Getting good sound quality
together with good isolation is not a trivial task.

If you don't need isolation and you're listening for pleasure and not looking
for something very analytic, try the Grado SR-60s, for around $75. They are
very clean-sounding.
--scott

I second the comment on the SR-60s. They sound terrific and I find them
to be very comfortable. I did "upgrade" the stock ear pads to the silly
looking, yellow Sennheiser pads and I find those to be even more
comfortable.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
Steve[_22_] Steve[_22_] is offline

On 10/19/2011 12:15 PM, David Fox wrote:
On Oct 19, 9:06 am, wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/wsj-headphones

Seems pricey to me.
Is it necessary to spend this much, for good headphones?

--
Rich

Not at all. Try a pair of Grado SR60's. The sell for $79 at
Amazon. I haven't
tried out all of the headphones listed in the article, but the Grado's
have been
giant-killers for over 20 years. I still own my original set and
recently bought
its slightly more expensive cousin the SR80 ($99) for another
location. I'd be
hard pressed to tell the difference.

DF

I seem to remember someone on the internets claiming that the SR60s
sound better when driven straight from a source[cd player] and the SR80s
sound better when used with a dedicated headphone amp.
I don't know if that is true, just what I read when I was trying to
decide between the two models. I also don't know if plugging the SR80s
into a receiver that your CD player is hooked into could be considered a
dedicated headphone amp setup.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro

wkasimer wrote:

Others have already mentioned the Grado SR60's, which are a terrific
bargain, but are not the most comfortable headphones on the market by
any means.

They have improved a lot... three or four years ago they redesigned the
earpads and the new configuration is a LOT more comfortable than the
older designs. The old ones were like having your head in a vise.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
jrsnfld jrsnfld is offline

On Oct 19, 9:06 am, *wrote:
[...]

That's interesting. I carefully compared the 60s to the 80s once, and
I think it was direct from the source CD player, and decided the 80s
were slightly better--at least enough to justify the price
differential. Now I don't remember exactly what was better. Anyway, I
bought the 80s as a result.

A dedicated headphone amp (I used a relatively cheap Creek headphone
amp) worked wonders with the Grado SR80s. The improvement over using
the headphone jack in other components was larger than the difference
between the 60s and 80s in the other test.

--Jeff
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
Bill Sloman Bill Sloman is offline

On Oct 19, 6:06*pm, RichD wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/wsj-headphones

Seems pricey to me.
Is it necessary to spend this much, for good headphones?

Depends what you mean by good. I've got a pair of good quality
Sennheiser headphones which I've had for years, and another pair that
I gave to my father as a birthday present many years ago, and got back
when he died.

Both feature neodymium-iron magnets. The current eqivalent would be
the HD650 which costs about $420 from Amazon.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
Rich Grise[_3_] Rich Grise[_3_] is offline

RichD wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/wsj-headphones

Seems pricey to me.

Me, too!

Is it necessary to spend this much, for good headphones?

Not if you're not an audiophool. I picked up a pair of headphones
recently for ten bucks, and they work fine for what I need. They're
not the earmuff type, just little transducers with foam pads, but
they get the job done.

I think I found them at the pharmacy or something.

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro

On Oct 19, 2:30*pm, jrsnfld wrote:

A dedicated headphone amp (I used a relatively cheap Creek headphone
amp) worked wonders with the Grado SR80s. The improvement over using
the headphone jack in other components was larger than the difference
between the 60s and 80s in the other test.

I have what I assume is the same Creek amp - the OBH-11. Actually I
have two of them, one for home, and one for the office. Works wonders
with any headphone, if the headphone jack on your amp doesn't have
sufficient power.

Bill

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro

On Oct 19, 12:59*pm, jrsnfld wrote:

The Amazon reviews of that turkey (peacock?) are absolutely hilarious!
And so are Amazon's recommendations ("What do other customers buy
after viewing this item? The $34.95 Koss PortaPro!").

The PortaPro headphones are supposed to be pretty good - does anyone
have any firsthand experience with them?

Bill
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
Matthew B. Tepper Matthew B. Tepper is offline

Alan Cooper appears to have caused the
following letters to be typed in
. 15.254:

Or...
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-EDIT.../dp/B004C3DUFS

AC

"The ear capsule development is the shape of butterfly wings to reason."

That's the sort of thing you just can't put a price on.

--
Matthew B. Tepper: WWW, science fiction, classical music, ducks!!
"I don’t think right-wing social engineering is any more desirable

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro

"RichD" wrote in message

http://tinyurl.com/wsj-headphones

Seems pricey to me.

Seems very boutique-y to me.

If you're talking $100-130 then yes, that is about the range where things
start getting interesting.

Is it necessary to spend this much, for good headphones?

Depends on what you call good.

If you are talking about headphones that are commonly used by pros around
here for more critical applications, then consider that the MDR 7506 and HD
280s run $100-110, while the ATH-M50s are more like $150.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
M forever M forever is offline

On Oct 19, 9:06*am, RichD wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/wsj-headphones

Seems pricey to me.
Is it necessary to spend this much, for good headphones?

--
Rich

Doesn't seem that pricey to me. In other words, you can spend a lot
more than that if you want to and get something great. You can also
spend less and get something rather good.

Or...http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-EDIT.../dp/B004C3DUFS

AC

LOL! Handmade in Bavaria with ruthenium coating, no less!

The Amazon reviews of that turkey (peacock?) are absolutely hilarious!

There is actually such a special diamond-encrusted iPad, but I guess
the reviewer just joking about having one

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/art...xpensive-ipad/

I don't quite get why the reviewer is so sarcastic but still gives the
product 5 stars. Maybe that's part of the joke.

And so are Amazon's recommendations ("What do other customers buy
after viewing this item? The $34.95 Koss PortaPro!").

At that price range I might consider moving up the ranks of Stax
earspeakers and amps. But then you can't really use those with your
diamond-studded iPad special edition...

--Jeff

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
larry moe 'n curly larry moe 'n curly is offline

RichD wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/wsj-headphones

Seems pricey to me.
Is it necessary to spend this much, for good headphones?

The WSJ article has no credibility because it starts with, "Headphones
as fashion statement makes total sense." First, headphones always
look ugly. Second, fashion statements, by definition, never make any
sense.

The Nov., 2011 Consumer Reports said $35 Sony PIIQ Giiq MDR-PQ2
headphones sounded good. I can't find the original evaluation article
to tell how other models performed.

The hi-fi business pushes a lot of junk science and fashion over
substance, as a quick check of any high-end hi-fi magazine will
show.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
jrsnfld jrsnfld is offline

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/art...-articles/most...

I don't quite get why the reviewer is so sarcastic but still gives the
product 5 stars. Maybe that's part of the joke.

The same reviewer posted a "serious" review as well, saying what he
really thought. Not that the analysis was particularly useful.

--Jeff
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
wkasimer wkasimer is offline

On Oct 19, 4:20*pm, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:

The Nov., 2011 Consumer Reports said $35 Sony PIIQ Giiq MDR-PQ2
headphones sounded good. *I can't find the original evaluation article
to tell how other models performed.

I've found Consumer reports to be extremely unreliable when it comes
to ratings of audio gear. I have no idea what their criteria are,
they are too concerned with non-sonic issues, and they concentrate on
mass market products, ignoring brands that potentially provide much
better value.

Bill
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

On Oct 19, 12:06*pm, RichD wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/wsj-headphones

Seems pricey to me.
Is it necessary to spend this much, for good headphones?

--
Rich

_________________
Too bad. If UN were moderated I'd vote to merge this thread with mine
from a few days ago, where we were discussing freq response and
impedance and such.

But while I'm here, I'd wager a bet that most folks on this thread, as
well as the one I started http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...c9619d4ad0640#
, probably already have "headphone amps" at home, either as part of
their rig or perhaps a spare one collecting dust in the attic.
They're called RECEIVERS.

Don't get me wrong. If you spend most of your headphone time in front
of the PC at home, or in a cubicle at work, then a headphone amp is
the way to go - it's compact and probably makes most headphones over
$50 really shine.

But I find my 80w/ch JVC receiver from the late '90s to be quite
revealing through the pairs I own.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
mpm mpm is offline

On Oct 19, 12:06*pm, RichD wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/wsj-headphones

Seems pricey to me.
Is it necessary to spend this much, for good headphones?

--
Rich

Everybody hears a little differently, so what sounds good to you is
the "right" set of headphones.
And at this level and these prices, you're only going to make that
decision once, so money (within reason) isn't really the issue.

I play piano, and my dachshund (at the time, may he R.I.P.) would just
howl whenever I sat down to play.
Now, my playing isn't "that" bad! He was probably just trying to
sing along.
But it was clear I could get no peace until I plugged in the
headphones.

So I got a a pair of the AKG K240's. Two pairs actually.
Really nice sound. A bit pricey.

And the new dachshund?
Well, no howling - but I'm pretty sure he'd much prefer to chew on the
cords!

-mpm
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
operafan operafan is offline

On Oct 19, 3:40*pm, wkasimer wrote:
On Oct 19, 12:59*pm, jrsnfld wrote:

The Amazon reviews of that turkey (peacock?) are absolutely hilarious!
And so are Amazon's recommendations ("What do other customers buy
after viewing this item? The $34.95 Koss PortaPro!").

The PortaPro headphones are supposed to be pretty good - does anyone
have any firsthand experience with them?

Bill

Yes. They were good 20 years ago, but they're bulky. The field has
gone on. They are good for $35, but there is a much wider range of
choices if you consider phones up to $100/pair.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
Adrian C Adrian C is offline

On 19/10/2011 22:55, ChrisCoaster wrote:

But I find my 80w/ch JVC receiver from the late '90s to be quite
revealing through the pairs I own.

Umm, your own pair of ears? Headphones wired straight to the speaker
outlets, 80 watts per eardrum? Ouch....

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro

On Oct 19, 9:06*am, RichD wrote:
[...]

Did he? I don't see that.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro

On Oct 19, 7:04*pm, Adrian C wrote:
On 19/10/2011 22:55, ChrisCoaster wrote:

But I find my 80w/ch JVC receiver from the late '90s to be quite
revealing through the pairs I own.

Umm, your own pair of ears? Headphones wired straight to the speaker
outlets, 80 watts per eardrum? Ouch....

--
Adrian C

________________
I seriously hope you're jokng Adrian. Ever heard of a headphone
jack??? Most A/V receivers still have them.

-ChrisCoaster
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
[email protected] a7yvm109gf5d1@netzero.com is offline

On Oct 19, 5:57*pm, operafan wrote:
On Oct 19, 3:40*pm, wkasimer wrote:

On Oct 19, 12:59*pm, jrsnfld wrote:

The Amazon reviews of that turkey (peacock?) are absolutely hilarious!
And so are Amazon's recommendations ("What do other customers buy
after viewing this item? The $34.95 Koss PortaPro!").

The PortaPro headphones are supposed to be pretty good - does anyone
have any firsthand experience with them?

Bill

Yes. They were good 20 years ago, but they're bulky. The field has
gone on. They are good for $35, but there is a much wider range of
choices if you consider phones up to $100/pair.

What drugs are you on? Bulky? Have you seen the portable air
compressors kids wear these days?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
gjsmo gjsmo is offline

On Oct 19, 12:06*pm, RichD wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/wsj-headphones

Seems pricey to me.
Is it necessary to spend this much, for good headphones?

--
Rich

Not really. I just bought (just received them today, actually) a pair
of Shure SRH-840s. They sound AMAZING, much more balanced than any
headphones I've ever had before. I've had probably something from
every style under $100 MSRP (not counting ridiculous Amazon
discounts), but these were $200 ($130 on Amazon). I'm hearing stuff
I've never heard before, no exaggerated bass, mids OR highs, and they
are overall MUCH clearer than other stuff. I'm a young audiophile (I'm
16), and still learning, but these are great. Still waiting for the
FiiO E6 to come in for portable hi-fi amplification.

BTW, any opinions on the SRH-840s?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
RichD RichD is offline

On Oct 19, RichD wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/wsj-headphones

Seems pricey to me.
Is it necessary to spend this much, for good headphones?

ok, thanks for some helpful replies.
Looks like recommended products for Wall Street
Journal uber-yuppies.

Next question:
Which type of music or instruments sound
best with headphones? Which type not?

My taste consists of orchestral, bluegrass,
jazz. Not much electric, though I do
occasionally listen to blues, with electric guitar.

--
Rich
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Oct 19, 11:21*pm, RichD wrote:
On Oct 19, RichD wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/wsj-headphones

Seems pricey to me.
Is it necessary to spend this much, for good headphones?

ok, thanks for some helpful replies.
Looks like recommended products for Wall Street
Journal uber-yuppies.

Next question:
Which type of music or instruments sound
best with headphones? *Which type not?

My taste consists of orchestral, bluegrass,
jazz. *Not much electric, though I do
occasionally listen to blues, with electric guitar.

All of those styles can sound really good on decent headphones. Not,
in any sense, realistic (since I doubt that anyone really has a banjo
playing in the center of their skull), but enjoyable.

You were asking whether headphones needed to cost a lot, and the
answer (as always) is "It depends." Good transducers often cost more
to produce, and a good deal more to produce repeatably (so that the
left and right ones sound the same as one another, and so that the
pair of headphones you buy on Tuesday sounds like the one you bought
last March). The side-to-side match is important for everybody, and
the unit-to-unit match is important for professionals who need
predictability.

How well do the cans, if sealed, shut out the outside world, and how
well do they keep the music inside from leaking out audibly? That may
not matter to a home listener, but to a studio user it may be crucial.
(Think of a singer overdubbing a vocal to a recorded backing track;
you don't want the backing track leaking out of the cans, to be picked
up -- tinnily -- by the singer's microphone.)

How well do the headphones hold up to being dropped on the floor over
and over, to having their cords yanked at either end? Those things
aren't necessarily big issues for most home users, but they matter to
professional studio people, whose cans have to withstand all sorts of
abuse. Ruggedness costs money, and the studio owner would usually
prefer to pay twice as much for headphones that last ten times as
long.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
John Devereux John Devereux is offline

"MatthewÂ*B.Â*Tepper" writes:

Alan Cooper appears to have caused the
following letters to be typed in
. 15.254:

Or...
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-EDIT.../dp/B004C3DUFS

AC

"The ear capsule development is the shape of butterfly wings to reason."

That's the sort of thing you just can't put a price on.

Apparently they managed to - $2749.00!

--

John Devereux
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
Gerard[_3_] Gerard[_3_] is offline

gjsmo wrote:
On Oct 19, 12:06 pm, RichD wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/wsj-headphones

Seems pricey to me.
Is it necessary to spend this much, for good headphones?

--
Rich

Not really. I just bought (just received them today, actually) a pair
of Shure SRH-840s. They sound AMAZING, much more balanced than any
headphones I've ever had before. I've had probably something from
every style under $100 MSRP (not counting ridiculous Amazon
discounts), but these were $200 ($130 on Amazon). I'm hearing stuff
I've never heard before, no exaggerated bass, mids OR highs, and they
are overall MUCH clearer than other stuff. I'm a young audiophile (I'm
16), and still learning,

But you already had dozens of headphones?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro

ChrisCoaster wrote:
On Oct 19, 7:04 pm, Adrian C wrote:
On 19/10/2011 22:55, ChrisCoaster wrote:

But I find my 80w/ch JVC receiver from the late '90s to be quite
revealing through the pairs I own.

Umm, your own pair of ears? Headphones wired straight to the speaker
outlets, 80 watts per eardrum? Ouch....

--
Adrian C

________________
I seriously hope you're jokng Adrian. Ever heard of a headphone
jack??? Most A/V receivers still have them.

And a lot if them work by putting a relatively large resistor in series
with the headphones across the speaker output, so vastly increasing the
ouput impedance, and reducing the damping, which does horrible things to
the quality.

A proper, well designed, headphone amp is the best way to drive
headphones, as it will have a low output impedance, and the correct
output levels.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
gjsmo gjsmo is offline

On Oct 20, 3:21*am, "Gerard" wrote:
gjsmo wrote:
On Oct 19, 12:06 pm, RichD wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/wsj-headphones

Seems pricey to me.
Is it necessary to spend this much, for good headphones?

--
Rich

Not really. I just bought (just received them today, actually) a pair
of Shure SRH-840s. They sound AMAZING, much more balanced than any
headphones I've ever had before. I've had probably something from
every style under $100 MSRP (not counting ridiculous Amazon
discounts), but these were $200 ($130 on Amazon). I'm hearing stuff
I've never heard before, no exaggerated bass, mids OR highs, and they
are overall MUCH clearer than other stuff. I'm a young audiophile (I'm
16), and still learning,

But you already had dozens of headphones?

Low build quality. I didn't say dozens... I'm probably used about 15,
maybe 20 different pairs.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro

"John Williamson" wrote in message
ChrisCoaster wrote:
[...]

All highly relevant points. Good post. Ditto.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro

On Oct 19, 12:06*pm, RichD wrote:

Is it necessary to spend this much, for good headphones?

FWIW, these were among Stereophile's top choices in their list of
recommended components for 2011:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/he...56f/index.html

The other choices in their class were priced in the stratosphere.

Bill
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
Gerard[_3_] Gerard[_3_] is offline

gjsmo wrote:
On Oct 20, 3:21 am, "Gerard" wrote:
gjsmo wrote:
On Oct 19, 12:06 pm, RichD wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/wsj-headphones

Seems pricey to me.
Is it necessary to spend this much, for good headphones?

--
Rich

Not really. I just bought (just received them today, actually) a
pair of Shure SRH-840s. They sound AMAZING, much more balanced
than any headphones I've ever had before. I've had probably
something from every style under $100 MSRP (not counting
ridiculous Amazon discounts), but these were $200 ($130 on
Amazon). I'm hearing stuff I've never heard before, no
exaggerated bass, mids OR highs, and they are overall MUCH
clearer than other stuff. I'm a young audiophile (I'm 16), and
still learning,

But you already had dozens of headphones?

Low build quality. I didn't say dozens... I'm probably used about 15,
maybe 20 different pairs.

You suggest *many* more by writing "They sound AMAZING, much more balanced than
any headphones I've ever had before.".
(Which is actually not saying much.)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.audio.pro
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article e.nl,
"Gerard" wrote:

gjsmo wrote:
On Oct 20, 3:21 am, "Gerard" wrote:
gjsmo wrote:
On Oct 19, 12:06 pm, RichD wrote:
[...]

gjsmo is invited to join the multitudes who have learned to ignore
Gerard.

Stephen