EggHd

Default As We Talk About the "BIZ"

What's amazing is album #1 still sold about 25K this week.

Oops incorrect. "Come Away With Me" sold another 80K this week.

Plus the new CD was #1 in 16 countries. 235K units in the UK for example.

---------------------------------------
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"EggHd" wrote in message ...
What's amazing is album #1 still sold about 25K this week.

Oops incorrect. "Come Away With Me" sold another 80K this week.

Plus the new CD was #1 in 16 countries. 235K units in the UK for example.

Gotta' figure... the studio that cut "Come Away With Me" is closed after
taking more than it's share of tech awards for the record which swept
last year's Grammys... and Norah (& management) really made the best
choice (IMHO) in not attempting to play any of the 'follow-up' games that
could have been, at best, depressing. I think her work will speak for
itself for some time to come. Overcoming the desire to attempt another
Grammy of any sort, so quickly, I think was a fantastic and respectable
move.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s.com

Tommi

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

The actual sales figures should be public

Because almost every other form of entertainment than music has more
intricate statistics out there all over the press.

And I'll bet you believe every one. You know how well one can lie with
statistics (and what appears to be statistics) don't you?

I believe box office grosses, but TV viewings have a too big error margin.
Both of these however are closer to the truth than the record charts, where
I can't tell whether Coldplay has sold closer to three or four million
copies judging from the album's position and the little "3x platinum" mark
on top of it.

I can, however tell that Return of the king was a big hit for New Line and
that Master and Commander disappointed it's studio domestically.

The weekend box office grosses that you see encourage people to go to
those movies. The packed football stadium statistics encourages people
to watch the game on pay-per-view TV. Often those "statistics" that you
see are exaggerated or diminished to the benefit of the one who publishes
them.

The weekend box office grosses are not exaggerated.
They can be manipulated in several ways, the studio can release
"estimates"(which are usually higher than the real gross) but
they can't hide the real numbers over a week.

Grosses are as precise as they can be to my knowledge. What is kind of a
secret are the real budgets and the real marketing costs of the movies.
But if a movie flops, the studio will tell it almost immediately.
If a movie gets a "slightly disappointing" first weekend, the studio tells
it on monday or tuesday.

AustinMN

Phil Brown wrote:

Na, just movies. Newspaper circulation magazine and books sales are for

the
most part closely held.

I don't know about book numbers, otherwise this is (mostly) nonsense. Most
newspapers print the previous day's circulation somewhere on the front page,
and magazines that are mailed (i.e. have subscriptions) require a
"postmaster's statement" (or some similar statement) from time to time that
includes circulation numbers _printed_in_the_magazine_. For most magazines,
it ends up being in every issue. It's not gathered into a nice neat chart
listing the top 40 magazines, but you also don't have to pay $25K a year to
get it at all.

Austin

EggHd

but you also don't have to pay $25K a year to
get it at all.

I believe the record companies release sales information for time to time.
Soundscan costs neison (who bought it) a lot of money to run and the subscriber
base is very small.