Eddie Runner

Default Tweeter Mounting

pull the door panel or molding piese and take a look!!

Even if someone here was to say THERE IS PLENTY OF ROOM!
Would you be stupid enough to start cutting without looking first????

Eddie
Installers Mailing List
http://www.installer.com/tech/iml.html

Mike Sims wrote:

Is there a way to determine weather the inside of the door molding has
enough room for a tweeter? Obviously I don't want to cut a hole in a
location, and then realize that it is too shallow after I put the
molding back on. And it is impossible to look inside the molding when
it is installed on the door.

Anyone done this before?

FYI: The car is a 1995 Nissan Sentra

Sanitarium

Thats the tough part... you can remove the door panel and observe the
contour of the sheetmetal and take your best guess. But thats all it
really is, just an estimate.

When I worked for Toyota we would root-cause sheet metal panel defects
with "Colto-Flax". Its a type of detnal modeling clay that is soft but
dries solid after 15 minutes or so. When its dry it has the consistency
of a rubber pencil eraser. Best of all, it does not leave any sticky
mess behind.

So, remove the panel, place a soft lump of the stuff in there and
re-attach the panel. Let sit for 15 minutes and when its solid it will
dry to the contours of the body parts. From there you can get a good
idea of how much panel clearance you have.

Garrett

Mike Sims wrote:

Is there a way to determine weather the inside of the door molding has
enough room for a tweeter? Obviously I don't want to cut a hole in a
location, and then realize that it is too shallow after I put the
molding back on. And it is impossible to look inside the molding when
it is installed on the door.

Anyone done this before?

FYI: The car is a 1995 Nissan Sentra

Eddie Runner

Now, thats a good question!
I use a ball of modeling clay that I keep in my toolbox...
I would stick it on the door or on the panel and then
reinstall the door... When you take the door off the clay
is squished down to the size that you will have....

Eddie Runner
Installer Mailing List
http://www.installer.com/tech/iml.html

Mike Sims wrote:

I did pull the molding, but how can you judge the available space in the
molding between the molding and the door? When the molding is snapped
on the door, it only has so much space between the door and the molding.
How can you tell when the molding is off of the door how much space is
available when it is on the door?

Eddie Runner

I dunno where I got it...!
I have a green ball of clay alittle smaller than
a tennis ball that I have had in my toolbox for over
20 years, it has never dried up...
It came in a
rectangle shape like a stick of butter (but green)..
I would guess a hardware store would have some, I use it
for all kinds of clearance problems from mounting a hood
pin switch in a good spot to making sure there is speaker
clearance in a trunk with the torsion bars, to making sure
a seat that folds doesnt squish a DVD player we might mount
under it....

I love the stuff...
Eddie

Mike Sims wrote:

says...

Now, thats a good question!
I use a ball of modeling clay that I keep in my toolbox...
I would stick it on the door or on the panel and then
reinstall the door... When you take the door off the clay
is squished down to the size that you will have....

Excellent! I never thought of that ... come to think of it ... where do
you get modeling clay?

Just_me

You can also use a PRODUCT called DOBO
It comes in a package... And does not dry out...
When it is applied it becomes very sticky...
I got mine from an AUDIO STORE.

Mike Sims wrote:

says...

Now, thats a good question!
I use a ball of modeling clay that I keep in my toolbox...
I would stick it on the door or on the panel and then
reinstall the door... When you take the door off the clay
is squished down to the size that you will have....

Excellent! I never thought of that ... come to think of it ... where do
you get modeling clay?

Me

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 15:56:53 -0700, Mike Sims
wrote:

says...

Now, thats a good question!
I use a ball of modeling clay that I keep in my toolbox...
I would stick it on the door or on the panel and then
reinstall the door... When you take the door off the clay
is squished down to the size that you will have....

Excellent! I never thought of that ... come to think of it ... where do
you get modeling clay?

Hobby Lobby, Wal-Mart craft section, any craft store or sewing store.

Nate