Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jonathandowns@gmail.com is offline

Default Peavey VMP-2 Output Question (balanced or unbalanced?)

could someone please explain to me to difference between the XLR
balanced outputs and the 1/4" unbalanced outputs of the VMP? i've read
people reference an article that said it might be better to use the
unbalanced outputs of the VMP-2...i can't seem to find that article.
i'm wondering why that is, perhaps someone could point me to that
article...

thanks!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

wrote:
could someone please explain to me to difference between the XLR
balanced outputs and the 1/4" unbalanced outputs of the VMP?

There's plenty of information around and about describing the
difference betwen balanced and unbalanced connections. One of the best
is he
http://www.rane.com/note110.html

I've read
people reference an article that said it might be better to use the
unbalanced outputs of the VMP-2

I remember that, too, but I don't remember why. Seems to me that it was
a pretty weak or marginal argument. Perhaps it's because the balanced
output goes through a so-so transformer or additional electronics so
the unbalanced output is a simpler (and therefore cleaner) signal path.
There could also be a difference in maximum output level so that one
would better match whatever you're connecting it to than the other. But
for a fairly short cable run (less than 25 feet or so) it really
doesn't matter unless you're in a place with a lot of electromagnetic
interference.

If you're curious enough (and you should be), try them both and see
which one works better in your situation. If you can't tell the
difference, use whichever one is most convenient.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jonathandowns@gmail.com is offline

that makes sense. i ask because i wanted to use a VMP-2 into a RNC, but
was hesitant beacuse of the RNC unbalanced inputs. but if the
unbalanced 1/4" ouputs of the VMP are cleaner, then i'm no longer
hesitant to use the RNC!

Mike Rivers wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Agerety Agerety is offline

i had one of these and had Jim Williams at audio upgrades mod it for me.
The upgrade was fantastic, and Jim also suggested using the 1/4 outs
instead of the balanced outs. If i remember correctly, he said to do so
because the output transformers were really horrible, and were proprietary
to the unit so replacing them wasn't an easy option.

I used both and the transformers really had a "sound", for better or
worse.....

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
could someone please explain to me to difference between the XLR
balanced outputs and the 1/4" unbalanced outputs of the VMP? i've read
people reference an article that said it might be better to use the
unbalanced outputs of the VMP-2...i can't seem to find that article.
i'm wondering why that is, perhaps someone could point me to that
article...

Look at the schematic that came with the thing. Notice that the unbalanced
outputs come off of a cathode follower _before_ the output transformer, while
the balanced outputs come off _after_ the transformer. This is typical
tube design; it's a major pain to electronically balance outputs in the
tube world, so everything gets transformer-coupled. Transformers change
the sound... whether this is a good thing or a bad thing depends on the
sound you want.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:

I've read
people reference an article that said it might be better to use the
unbalanced outputs of the VMP-2

I remember that, too, but I don't remember why. Seems to me that it was
a pretty weak or marginal argument. Perhaps it's because the balanced
output goes through a so-so transformer or additional electronics so
the unbalanced output is a simpler (and therefore cleaner) signal path.
There could also be a difference in maximum output level so that one
would better match whatever you're connecting it to than the other. But
for a fairly short cable run (less than 25 feet or so) it really
doesn't matter unless you're in a place with a lot of electromagnetic
interference.

IIRC, the deal is that the balanced allegedly +4 output won't actually
swing that without a lot of distortion.

--
ha
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
could someone please explain to me to difference between the XLR
balanced outputs and the 1/4" unbalanced outputs of the VMP? i've read
people reference an article that said it might be better to use the
unbalanced outputs of the VMP-2...i can't seem to find that article.
i'm wondering why that is, perhaps someone could point me to that
article...

I wrote that article, quite a few years ago; it was a review of the VMP2 for
Recording magazine.

In essence, I found that the balanced outputs had higher distortion and a
nastier harmonic distortion spectrum than the unbalanced outputs.

Peace,
Paul