Colin Green

Default Cable issue

Will probabaly be flamed for this and the issue may seem rather strange, but
here it is:-

I have had a number of Audioquest Lapis interconnect cables which I have
used for a number of years and in various different systems. When I first
got each of the cables, over a period of about 2 years, they always sounded
quite wonderful for about 4 days or so - much deeper bass, no edginess and
everything sounded much more dynamic and colourful. The interesting thing
was that this effected not just the components which were connected with the
new cable (eg: CD player and amp), but the rest of the system also: tuner,
phono stage.

The interesting thing is that whenever I connect a new piece of equipment,
using the Lapis cables, the same thing happens. Fantastic sound for a few
days, in respect of all components, which then fades away. It even happens
when there is a change to the cables. For example, I have used Pro Gold to
clean the connections from time to time, and on occasions, the original
sound comes back, but again only for a few days. This happened most recently
when I had the phono plugs on a pair of the Lapis cables resoldered as they
had become loose: great sound for a few days only.

My own suspicion is that there is some kind of impedance alteration going on
and that a new/cleaned/repaired cable, or new piece of equipment interface
in a particular way for a short period before changing, but I could be
completely wrong. What I am sure of however is that this is not a
psychological thing resulting from a new piece of equipment etc. The
difference in sound quality is obvious and significant and the effect
demonstrable to others.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Ideally I would like to be able to do
something the have the magnificent sound which I only seem to get for a few
days continue on a permanent basis.

Thanks

Colin Green

Arny Krueger

Colin Green wrote:

[...]

Yep, the brain is the most powerful orgain in the human body.

Powell

"Colin Green" wrote

I have had a number of Audioquest Lapis interconnect
cables which I have used for a number of years and in
various different systems.

AudioQuest Lapis uses four teflon insulated long grain
solid silver wires. Silver wires have slightly different
electrical characteristics compared to their copper
counterpart.

The interesting thing is that whenever I connect a new
piece of equipment, using the Lapis cables, the same
thing happens. Fantastic sound for a few days, in
respect of all components, which then fades away. It
even happens when there is a change to the cables.
For example, I have used Pro Gold to clean the
connections from time to time, and on occasions, the
original sound comes back, but again only for a few days.

Periodically cleaning the connectors will often result in
a noticeable improvement in sound fidelity. But perhaps
your not cleaning off the underlying dirt film/oxidation.
Using Q-tips, for example, is a poor way to clean
connectors because it is impossible to reach all the nooks
and crannies of the connectors. The initial improvement in
sound quality and then decline was derived not from an
increase in interface contact (female/male) but from the
back and forth scraping action disconnecting and then
reconnecting the cable. OTOH, specialized tools like
Signet’s disposable cleaning tools ($25/10) mate to the
RCA male/female interfaces and create substantial
friction, cleaning and polishing of metal surfaces.

This happened most recently when I had the phono
plugs on a pair of the Lapis cables resoldered as they
had become loose: great sound for a few days only.

“resoldered”... AudioQuest doesn’t recommend this.

What I am sure of however is that this is not a
psychological thing resulting from a new piece of
equipment etc. The difference in sound quality is
obvious and significant and the effect demonstrable
to others.

“demonstrable to others”... good, you need not justify
your observations beyond that.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Ideally I would like to
be able to do something the have the magnificent sound
which I only seem to get for a few days continue on a
permanent basis.

Also consider the possibility that the volume pot may need
cleaning/replacement.

Cable issue Colin Green General 5 April 18th 04 11:52 PM
hi-fi+ issue 28 now available online and in store [email protected] General 0 January 15th 04 08:43 PM
hi-fi+ issue 27 now available online and in store [email protected] General 0 November 19th 03 09:41 PM
cabling explained Midlant Car Audio 8 November 14th 03 03:07 AM
hi-fi+ issue 26 now available online and in store [email protected] General 0 October 11th 03 07:29 PM