Colin Green

Default Cable issue

My problem may seem rather strange, but here it is:-

I have had a number of Audioquest lapis interconnect cables which I have
used for a number of years and in various different systems. When I first
got each of the cables, over a period of about 2 years, they always sounded
quite wonderful for about 4 days or so - much deeper bass, no edginess and
everything sounded much more dynamic and colourful. The interesting thing
was that this effected not just the components which were connected with the
new cable (eg: CD player and amp), but the rest of the system also: tuner,
phono stage.

The interesting thing is that whenever I connect a new piece of equipment,
using the Lapis cables, the same thing happens. Fantastic sound for a few
days, in respect of all components, which then fades away. It even happens
when there is a change to the cables. For example, I have used Pro Gold to
clean the connections from time to time, and on occasions, the original
sound comes back, but again only for a few days. This happened most recently
when I had the phono plugs on a pair of the Lapis cables resoldered as they
had become loose: great sound for a few days only.

My own suspicion is that there is some kind of impedance alteration going on
and that a new/cleaned/repaired cable, or new piece of equipment interface
in a particular way for a short period before changing, but I could be
completely wrong. What I am sure of however is that this is not a
psychological thing resulting from a new piece of equipment etc. The
difference in sound quality is obvious and significant and the effect
demonstrable to others.

Has anyone got any suggestions. Ideally I would like to be able to do
something the have the magnificent sound which I only seem to get for a few
days continue on a permanent basis.

Thanks

Colin Green

Mark D. Zacharias

I think you should go to rec.audio.opinion for a proper flaming.

It is literally IMPOSSIBLE for a cable left connected to one input to affect
other inputs as you describe, especially to reverse the effect after a
couple days with no other changes made.
This is a purely psychological effect. You need to be schooled in critical
listening if this type of thing is so important to you.

Seriously, I'm all for good quality cables, but anybody who goes to this
extreme on cables has:

A. Too much time, or
B. Too much money, or
C. No common sense, or
D. All of the above

If you really want to **** away money at least find a reputable charity and
don't give it to the snake-oil salesmen.

Mark Z.

"Colin Green" wrote in message
[...]

whosbest54

In article , you say...

[...]

Colin, my understanding of how audio equipment works and physics leads me to
believe that the things you believe you are hearing aren't related to the
actions you describe and are likely in your mind. But I might be wrong. Who
knows, maybe there is some sort of voltage build up due to improper grounding
or something that is corrected or discharged when you unplug a cable or add
equipment.

I also suggest you post to RAO. While you likely will be flamed, I think
there are others there who may have suggestions you will want to try.

whosbest54

http://members.aol.com/whosbest54/

http://members.aol.com/whosbest54/rmb.html

Mark D. Zacharias

Wasn't trying to chase you off. This is an area of discussion where flames
are the norm, not the exception. I was really trying not to be too rude, but
I may have blown that. Apologies if this is the case.

I am all for good quality cables, but most reasonable people understand
there's way too much snake oil in that business.

[...]

chris

Colin
if I understand you, after any disturbance of these cable your system
sounds good for about 4 days or so it then starts going downhill a
bit.
This sound to me like some not very good connections with the cable
plugs in the Amps sockets, could they be damaged in some way or just
oxidized, are they of different metals ie chrome to nickel or gold
plating or is the sockets tinned.
Maybe giving them a proper clean inc the sockets with some isopropyl
alcohol then check them for damage before reapplying the progold.
Try some different leads ?
If the plugs are in good order ? you could try replacing the sockets.

Chris.