Noah Roberts

SSJVCmag wrote:
Hey kids,
Can we get this stuff un-crossposted except to the linux folks?

Actually, if anything this thread belongs in rec.audio.pro where it
started.

Thanks.

John

In article . com,
"Noah Roberts" wrote:

John wrote:

As for a home studio, the issues of ease of compatability with the
outside world and lack of an upgrade path will limit the usefulness of
any linux system as compared to more conventional fare.

I have been hearing these arguments since I started using Linux 10
years ago. It is always, "Linux has no apps," "Linux is not
compatible," "Linux is not..." Since that time I have watched it grow
and embed itself, sometimes downright take over, in every market it
ever enters. The arguments stay the same and time always shows them to
be the nonsense they really are. Big wigs are constantly comming down
on Linux, now they all want a piece. It will be the same with audio.

the thing you are missing completely is that it is not the OS of any
system that determines whether the tool application is most appropriate.
the puter application is selected for the purpose and then whatever OS
it happens to run on is installed on the chosen hardware platform.

Worrying about the OS and then looking for something to fill the
application need is putting the cart before the horse. As I have said
before, working perfeshunnals choose the best tool for the job at hand.
If/when any 'nix proggie stands up to the test, it will be embraced. As
for the home user, imo, greater compatability with the outside world
helps lessen the isolation and a steady upgrade path helps future growth.

I have a hard time giving your statements about upgrade path and
compatability any credence since you don't know anything about the
system in question. All you have shown is that you know how to use the
tools you ARE familiar with and have been lucky in who your customers
are.

lucky ? wow, them grapes be sour, eh... LOL
--
Digital Services Recording Studios
http://www.digisrvs.com
SSJVCmag

On 6/3/05 12:46 PM, in article
, "Noah Roberts"
wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:

(3) The one posting the link may not have any idea what it contains,
or of its relevance (which became apparent once I read about the
studio). All he knew was that this was a studio and they had a
Linux system with an audio application.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb0...irrorimage.htm
"...Now, a Linux system will
replace the Mac at the core of the studio, offering a number of new
technologies which Parker hopes will transform the way the partnership
works. The main Linux machine is a dual AMD Athlon 2600+ with 1GB of
RAM, plus an RME Hammerfall 9652 card with 24-channel ADAT and stereo
S/PDIF I/O. The ADAT interfaces are routed via a patchbay to the DM24
console and the MOTU 2408 on the Mac system, so audio data can pass
easily between the old and new systems."

I have posted this link many times.

And interestingly leaving out the EXPERIMENTAL/BETA nature of how this one
studio is living on the edge..

"Ardour has now matured to the point where Parker can consider it for more
projects, although there are still a few glitches to work out as of the
second beta release, which will lead to version 1.0. But the potential for
efficient, stable and highly flexible technology offered by the Linux system
keeps Parker motivated. "

Thus NOT what you;re fighting here.
Sheeshe...

Mike Rivers

In article rochrist@REMOVETOEMAIL writes:

My point is that you don't have to have such an attitude. I never did
anything to you, or treated you rudely. Apparently, something about this
Linux thing has got a major hair across your ass.

I'm just getting a little frustrated with how great Linux users think
the OS is for its own sake. I still haven't seen a good reason to
switch, or even for a beginner to start with it when there are well
established and well supported alternatives. Hobbyists are fine, but
it's not their place to change the world until they really have
something - and they don't yet, in my most humble opinion.

And you don't have to be rude to me to annoy me. Frankly, I don't know
who's been rude to me, but there certainly have been some bothersome
innuendos thrown my way. That's not the point of this discussion. Take
it up with my lawyer if you think you've been slandered in a way that
can make you some money.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Scott Dorsey

Bob Cain wrote:
Linønut wrote:
Arny Krueger poked his little head through the XP firewall and said:

Except the alternatives, which many of us greybeards suffered with
before the NT registry showed up in 1993 or so.

I'd rather suffer the UNIX alternative than the Registry, personally.

What is the UNIX alternative?

The Unix alternative is to put all the configuration stuff in the
filesystem, so there's nothing to get out of synch. But it means
more calls to open and close files.

If filesystem access is expensive, this is bad. If the whole /usr
partition is loaded into cache, there's no performance penalty at
all and the maintenance headaches are MUCH reduced over the registry
chaos. In the real world, the performance penalty is slight but
nonzero and varies on application and system.

JEDIDIAH

On 2005-06-03, John wrote:
In article ,
Jim Richardson wrote:

The link to an e-book on using Linux in the pro field that they are
writing:
http://209.134.141.117/jam/book1.htm

an unfinished and fairly mediocre tome as it presently reads. the
copyright says 2003, do they plan on finishing it any time soon ? This
also reflects a half-way attitude by the operators. BTW, "Jam" is a
copyright protected name for a Roxio product that predates what they are
talking about.

Everyone seems to be avoiding answering this question.

Who cares? Does it have any relevence to their professionalism as an
audio studio?

Yes, it does. Putting up half finished work from 2003 is very telling.

The folks behind the linux Jam application are either ignorant of a long
standing and widely used audio product from Roxio or are blatantly
ignoring the Roxio copyright. Neither bodes well for the linux folks.

Try to at least cite the right form of intellectual property
protection when you blather on about this sort of thing.

Musicians, Engineers and associated wannabes really should know
better considering such distinctions are rather relevant to what they do.

--
The best OS in the world is ultimately useless |||
if it is controlled by a Tramiel, Jobs or Gates. / | \

Noah Roberts

John wrote:

The folks behind the linux Jam application are either ignorant of a long
standing and widely used audio product from Roxio or are blatantly
ignoring the Roxio copyright. Neither bodes well for the linux folks.

You would mean trademark by the way.

I believe they are talking about this:
http://jamin.sourceforge.net/en/about.html

It could very well be that the name was changed due to a trademark
issue. I have always known it as JamIn but wasn't doing audio 3-5
years ago when it started.

Geoff Wood

"John" wrote in message news:are.you.crazy-

the thing you are missing completely is that it is not the OS of any
system that determines whether the tool application is most appropriate.
the puter application is selected for the purpose and then whatever OS
it happens to run on is installed on the chosen hardware platform.

A bit like insisting on a blue garage as a criteria for what car to use.

geoff

reddred

"John" wrote in message

lucky ? wow, them grapes be sour, eh... LOL

Hey, you got to stand next to Beyonce. I've never done that.

jb

Geoff Wood

"Roger Christie charter.net" rochrist@REMOVETOEMAIL wrote in message
"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article rochrist@REMOVETOEMAIL writes:

I used to have a fair amount of respect for you. That respect is

diminishing
of late.

Thank you. I've never heard of you so I don't have any reason to
respect you or not, or to care about what you think of me. But you
have a point, you really should make it, and not make your discussant
decide what your point is.

My point is that you don't have to have such an attitude. I never did
anything to you, or treated you rudely. Apparently, something about this
Linux thing has got a major hair across your ass.

When somebody refuses to accept advice on what he clearly has little
experience of from those who do have real-world experience, and keeps
repeating half-thruths while belittling those who attempt to inform him, it
is difficult to put a point assertively without appearing rude to that
person with erroneous preconceptions of an irrational religous intensity.

geoff

Lorin David Schultz

"Noah Roberts" wrote in message
ups.com...

All you have shown is that you know how to use the
tools you ARE familiar with and have been lucky in
who your customers are.

Actually Noah, there's a relationship between those two factors.

Sure, luck plays a role in any career, but the smarter you are, the
luckier you get! Part of getting good clients comes from supplying what
they want. Part of what they want is "industry standard" tools. You
can't attract major-league clients without being able to do the things
they want to do. (We'll leave the subject of being a really good audio
engineer for another discussion! g)

Even if a Linux audio app were all that (and I'm not convinced that any
of them are yet), it wouldn't matter. The client wants to plug in his
iLok and use his favourite plug-in. (S)he wants OMF import and export
for exchanging session data (not just audio files) with the video
editor. (S)he wants to take away a copy of the session to edit and/or
do non-critical overdubs at home.

"Compatibility" means more than just being able to open a .wav file, and
"capability" means more than just being able to mix and edit. For
better or worse, Pro Tools is the standard, and to attract the interest
of pros, anything else will have to do *everything* it does, AND offer a
compelling reason to step outside the comfort zone. It's not worth the
effort to move to something new if there's no advantage.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Mike Rivers

In article . com writes:

" . . . .Now, a Linux system will
replace the Mac at the core of the studio, offering a number of new
technologies which Parker hopes will transform the way the partnership
works. The main Linux machine is a dual AMD Athlon 2600+ with 1GB of
RAM, plus an RME Hammerfall 9652 card with 24-channel ADAT and stereo
S/PDIF I/O. The ADAT interfaces are routed via a patchbay to the DM24
console and the MOTU 2408 on the Mac system, so audio data can pass
easily between the old and new systems."

But what exactly is he going to DO with the new system? What's going
to be different? Why is he making the change?

If I had that hardware, my inclination would be to use Windows XP and
one of the popular DAW programs that a lot of other people use.
Perhaps the "problem" with this studio that the new Linux system will
solve is that his partner has been using a Linux DAW and this will
make it easier for them to work together on projects on their separate
systems.

That's a perfectly good reason FOR THIS STUDIO to make a change, but
it's certainly not a good enough reason in itself for someone
considering using Linux for running DAW applications to do so. And
there are many good reasons for not doing so.

Please find a better argument than one studio building a Linux DAW to
support your point. (whatever your point is, if you even have one)

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 05:18:40 GMT

On 2005-06-02
said:
[2] A touch typist likes to keep his hands above the
"home keys": "ASDF" on the left, "JKL;" on the right.
While one can make nasty noises about the original
purpose of the QWERTY keyboard (in very olden times
the keys tended to jam; therefore the intent was to
make the touch typist type as slowly as possible :-) )
it's what many of us are trained on. The only
competing technology -- if one can call it that --
is the DVORAK keyboard. (I don't have comparison speeds
handy for the two.)
Either way, of course, the hands don't move much --
*until one has to pick up the entire hand and move
it over to the mouse*. This is a pain, and slows a
typist down; he has to locate the mouse, move it,
possibly click on a button, then locate the home keys
again on the hand that was using the mouse.[*]

This is probably the origin of the users distaste for typing at all,
unless she is in a 'text window' and can leave the mouse alone for
a while. I've often thought the web service interface, where
completing a transaction often requires shifting back and forth
between keyboard and mouse to be quite awkward - same with many
word processors. For its part Windows does allow usage of the
ALT key. This key allows for selection of menus without having
to use the wired soapbar -- though it could be more
consistent. (It could be a lot more consistent in
Linux, too.)

Don't care that much, when I had a linux machine up and running before
I took a lightning hit I was running slackware with speakup, a linux
screenreader which supported my doubltalk speech card and allowed me
to read the screen.

NEwer versions of windows don't support the alt keys and the tab key
for navigation as much anymore. My bitch with double clicking and all
that is that screen access for the blind developers have had to
incorporate "double clicking" a mouse in as a function using the
numeric keypad and therefore forego such functions as being able to
have your screenreader have a reading cursor which could allow you to
look at the spelling of a word in text and even possibly (depending on
the screenreader software) spell it using the itu phonetic alphabet.

But it's highly naive to think that double-clicking is
easier than typing. Such, presumably, depends on the user.

You don't have to know anything, and the theory is that you can
figure it out more easily.
[*] The Amiga had an interesting capability, which might have
existed on other systems. One can press and hold down
the left and right Amiga keys, and the main pointer would
be movable via the arrow keys. It was slightly clumsy
but very helpful for those who didn't have a mouse handy.

Windows has this still, I believe, marketed as an app for people
with disabilities.

I think there they use the control key and the arrows, which is handy.
STill as screenreaders have to become more complex and update when you
upgrade apps to support them more functions that you really wanted in
your screen reader get lost. THis is why my lady's win 95 machine
which we use for desktop publishing manufacturing our own business
cards etc. will never get a net connection. I have no intention of
chasing down bugs and githing the security battle. WHen I've finished
building another linux machine it will get a dsl connection.
OTherwise this old dos box gets its dial-up connection. Ftp works
good, telnet is fine, web browser is too crude and rudimentary to be
of much use with forms frames and java **** but most of the time I
don't care. IT gets email so that I keep up with nws hurricane
predictions and weather for folks at sea and get the things I want.

I sitll plan on building another linux machine eventually, putting a
Zefiro card in it and using it for transferring audio from other media
and possibly burning a cd, but I decided that could wait, just go buy
a Masterlink instead. I'm hnot that interested in gui editing and cut
and paste performance editing.

Richard Webb,
Electric SPider Productions, New Orleans, La.
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

--

They can have my command prompt when they pry it from my
cold dead fingers

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 13:37:59 GMT

On 2005-06-02 said:
wrote: I sitll plan on building another linux machine eventually,
putting a Zefiro card in it and using it for transferring audio
from other media and possibly burning a cd, but I decided that
could wait, just go buy a Masterlink instead. I'm hnot that
interested in gui editing and cut and paste performance editing.

There is at least some command line audio tools. There are some
blind users on the linux-audio list I think, if I am remembering
conversations correctly, and there has been some mention of this.

I knew last I checked in on one discussion of blindness computers and
music that there was some high hopes for linux developments, but it's
been three or four years since i read that listserv due to a lot of
the traffic from hobbyist kids goofing around etc. I was thinking of
getting a stable system going for other chores and then another system
for audio but all of that has been put on the back burner. Guess I"ll
have to look at it again with regard to some production work.

I'm like MR. Dorsey, I'm not a computer fan for audio work in the
first place. I cut my teeth back in the analog tape days and would
still just rather mount a damned reel of tape and get some work done
than putz with a computer. I"ll give it another look I think.

Richard Webb,
Electric SPider Productions, New Orleans, La.
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

--

agood captain is one who is hoisting his first drink in a
bar when the storm hits.
Noah Roberts

Mike Rivers wrote:

If I had that hardware, my inclination would be to use Windows XP and
one of the popular DAW programs that a lot of other people use.

So?

Please find a better argument than one studio building a Linux DAW to
support your point. (whatever your point is, if you even have one)

I grow weary of this conversation and it seems you have decided not to
actually participate except in a very beligerant manner. If you want
to know what my point is just go back and read by original responses to
the OP. I am not going to reiterate them for the thousandth time just
for your benefit. The OP already got his answer and long ago accepted
it. You winbozos are just frustrating me with your self imposed
ignorance.

Cya.

Noah Roberts

reddred wrote:
"Noah Roberts" wrote in message

There are many reasons to choose Linux to do your work. Some are
technical, some are monetary, some are social in nature. Linux can, and
for some people does, make a fine DAW among other things it can do for
you. All other nonsense asside.

Not yet. When it has the feature set people want

It has the features that I and others want. It is just too bad you
can't accept that.

Cya.

Noah Roberts

Lorin David Schultz wrote:
It's not worth the
effort to move to something new if there's no advantage.

Dude, I never said it was. In fact I said the opposite.

Thanks anyway.
Noah Roberts

Geoff Wood wrote:

When somebody refuses to accept advice on what he clearly has little
experience of from those who do have real-world experience, and keeps
repeating half-thruths while belittling those who attempt to inform him, it
is difficult to put a point assertively without appearing rude to that
person with erroneous preconceptions of an irrational religous intensity.

Talking about yourself in the third person is just weird.
John

In article a94oe.35159$9A2.13171@edtnps89,
"Lorin David Schultz" wrote:

"Compatibility" means more than just being able to open a .wav file, and
"capability" means more than just being able to mix and edit. For
better or worse, Pro Tools is the standard, and to attract the interest
of pros, anything else will have to do *everything* it does, AND offer a
compelling reason to step outside the comfort zone. It's not worth the
effort to move to something new if there's no advantage.

From a facilities standpoint, compatibility also means going beyond
having one flavor. the DAW list inhouse includes Sonic Solutions, Pro
Tools, Sequoia, Digital Performer, SSL ScreenSound, Waveburner Pro
(which will likely lead to Logic 7) and a bunch of other stuff I don't
even think about. Systems we sold off years ago, like the Fairlight CMI
III (what a cool machine that was) and the original Sound
Designer/SampleCell were doing things the 'nix proggies havn't
completely sussed out yet. It's also a moving target, because all these
things keep upgrading, sometimes better, sometimes worse.

Then you have to have people who know how run these and everything else
in the room inside and out, while being pleasant to demanding clients.

That ain't luck, that ain't snobbery, it's called the business of
servicing the type of client you want to have. The second any 'nix
proggie would show up as a viable call, we'd have it, but that hasn't
happened yet. It's nothing more than a technical business decision, not
an emotional bond or philosophical belief in a bunch of code. And if
the budding startup home studio asks what sort of DAW to get, it won't
be something relatively arcane but more mainstream so there is more
available support and compatibility with which to learn and grow.
--
Digital Services Recording Studios
http://www.digisrvs.com
Noah Roberts

John wrote:
And if
the budding startup home studio asks what sort of DAW to get, it won't
be something relatively arcane but more mainstream so there is more
available support and compatibility with which to learn and grow.

Just when exactly was the last time you gave Linux a good try?
Noah Roberts

Noah Roberts wrote:
perso ha escrito:

Hi

I'm actually thinking about a project of home studio, linux based.

Do you think Ardour could be a serious choice for a personal but
"serious" home studio ?

It has done great by me. It has done great by numerous others. You can
do pro level work with Linux if you want...it is up to the task and some
do.

Put it this way...if you don't like it then you can always buy something
else. At least you don't have to spend $500 to find that out. If
someday you grow out of it then you can go buy the later version of
something better than you would have now. If you never grow out of it,
or it grows with you, then you have just gotten quite a return on your
investment.

Just looking at it totally pragmatically the risk vs. possible reward
pretty much makes it a given. If you are willing to spend the time and
effort learning how to use a DAW the time and effort needed to learn
Linux is negligable. The time you spend learning Ardour and such is
time well spent even if you decide to switch because these topics are
universal. The cost is nil unless you buy a box set, and then it is
next to nil. For someone just starting I don't see how you could NOT
give Linux DAW a serious look.

What are the risks? That one day you might find that Linux is too
limited for you and/or that you are incompatible with the people you
want to do business with. So? When 90% of the skills you learned
"playing" with Linux transfer directly what time did you waste "playing"
with Linux? I didn't buy a $2000 gibson as my first guitar, did you? I
didn't buy a $5000 Soldano as my first amp either. But, 15 years later...

Most of the knowledge needed to successfully record music has nothing to
do with the DAW. Of that knowledge that is about the DAW most of it is
universal. So you have to relearn some interface issues, the
fundamentals will already be there and the interface is going to be
mostly familiar anyway. How do I know? Because most books about
digital recording are based on pro-tools...they actually helped me find
stuff about Ardour I didn't know existed. In this way it is much like
computer programming...the fundamentals are always the same no matter
what language you work in; there are few if any major differences.

And what about that time and effort spent learning how to use Linux?
Well, what if you find you actually like this system better? Maybe you
will toss out Linux as a DAW but use it for a lot of other things.
Maybe you will find that it is so much above everything else that any
minor weakness in DAW is meaningless in comparison. Then again, maybe
you will just know more about computers and operating
systems...especially unix. It never hurts to know more things.

You really only loose if you already have a major investment in another
set of tools. Then there isn't any reason to switch unless you percieve
a weakness in those tools. But price vs. features there just isn't much
that can compete with Linux DAW; even if these major pro systems just
blow Linux out of the field they also do in price. As a musician I do
not even notice any weaknesses or missing pieces to the Linux DAW, much
less be willing to pay an extra $500 to get said missing pieces.

I tell you what too...Linux is MILES above these stupid little console
recording systems you see for $2000 and up. This is what many home
studios use and there just isn't any comparison in features or ease of
use. You could build a pretty damn nice home studio Linux DAW for $2000.

Roger Christie

www.blackcatcrossing.net

writes:

[...]

Christ, overreact again why don't you? No, you haven't slandered me. And I
never came within the same timezone of claiming that you did. You /have/
made a number of halfassed assertions about 'linux users' as though they
were some enormous monolithic organism that react as one, and frankly, its
kind of silly.

I don't personally give a **** if you use Linux. In point of fact, /I/ don't
use Linux for my audio work. That doesn't mean that I don't have enormous
respect for it as a viable alternative to windows (which I also don't use
for my audio work), or that it might not be a viable solution for audio work
under the right conditions. What annoys ME is lazy generalizations and
blithe assumptions that windows is actually something other than a awfully
bloated, sloppy piece of innovationless work that generated virtually all of
its success due to being in exactly the right place, at exactly the right
time, with exactly the right set of utterly ruthless and cunning predators
running the company.

It also helps that they were marketing primarily to a country in which 44
percent of the population believe in creationism.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

John

Noah Roberts wrote:

John wrote:
And if
the budding startup home studio asks what sort of DAW to get, it won't
be something relatively arcane but more mainstream so there is more
available support and compatibility with which to learn and grow.

Just when exactly was the last time you gave Linux a good try?

approx. 9 months ago. it was a brief consideration when we were
spoec'ing new mastering systems but there wasn't anything in the 'nix
world to meet the criteria which included DDP delivery in Orange Book
format as well as DDP on Exabyte and supporting the PlexToools proggies
from Plextor and/or interfacing with our Clover 101.
--
Digital Services Recording Studios
http://www.digisrvs.com
reddred

reddred wrote:
"Noah Roberts" wrote in message

There are many reasons to choose Linux to do your work. Some are
technical, some are monetary, some are social in nature. Linux can, and
for some people does, make a fine DAW among other things it can do for
you. All other nonsense asside.

Not yet. When it has the feature set people want

It has the features that I and others want. It is just too bad you
can't accept that.

Well, I'm sure you're a big influence in the professional audio community,
and your influence is growing by the minute. You know, getting people to try
Linux is hard enough without guys like you making it harder.

jb

Noah Roberts

John wrote:
In article ,
Noah Roberts wrote:

John wrote:

And if
the budding startup home studio asks what sort of DAW to get, it won't
be something relatively arcane but more mainstream so there is more
available support and compatibility with which to learn and grow.

Just when exactly was the last time you gave Linux a good try?

approx. 9 months ago. it was a brief consideration when we were
spoec'ing new mastering systems but there wasn't anything in the 'nix
world to meet the criteria which included DDP delivery in Orange Book
format as well as DDP on Exabyte and supporting the PlexToools proggies
from Plextor and/or interfacing with our Clover 101.

So which applications did you try?
Bob Cain

Scott Dorsey wrote:

The Unix alternative is to put all the configuration stuff in the
filesystem, so there's nothing to get out of synch. But it means
more calls to open and close files.

Is that the only reason for a registry? Are there any other
advantages to a central repository for stuff like that?
I've often wondered about "whence the registry."

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Bob Cain

Noah Roberts wrote:

Talking about yourself in the third person is just weird.

You really should take up some other hobby than advocacy.
You do more harm than good for your cause.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Jeff_Relf

Hi Bob_Cain, Unix, or maybe Win_XP, You wrote:
I've often wondered about " whence the registry."

Does Unix have something called The_Registry ?

Anyways... Win_XP's registry is Hideously abused.
My bigest complaint with Visual_Studio_2003 is how it keeps it's settings
in so many bizarre places, including the system directories and the registry.

This is a .BAT file that I sometimes use to transer my settings:
C:
cd "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.1"
REM Must exit VS to save CmdUI.PRF and Key_Bindings.VSK

XCopy /Y /F 1033\CmdUI.PRF F:\VS
XCopy /Y /F Key_Bindings.VSK F:\VS
XCopy /Y /F devenv.xml F:\VS
XCopy /Y /F "C:\__\Visual Studio Projects\VSMacros71\MyMacros\__.vsmacros" F:\VS
XCopy /Y /F C:\__\X\VS.REG F:\VS
XCopy /Y /F C:\__\X\VS.VB F:\VS
XCopy /Y /F C:\__\X\_XXX_.TXT F:\VS
XCopy /Y /F C:\__\X\Chip.TXT F:\VS
XCopy /Y /F C:\__\X\X.TXT F:\VS
XCopy /Y /F C:\__\X\Cola.TXT F:\VS
XCopy /Y /F C:\__\X\Save_Setngs.BAT F:\VS
XCopy /Y /F C:\__\X\Restore_Setngs.BAT F:\VS
XCopy /Y /F C:\__\X\Bit_Stream.TTF F:\VS

Pause

REM More info at
REM http://blogs.msdn.com/jledgard/archi.../05/67869.aspx

VS_2003 has no way to simply port my settings from one PC to another.
I'm seriously considering replacing VS with my own code,
code that would be far more customizable, smaller and faster.

And now, for something completely different... my virual girlfriend.
Below is the lyrics and audio to Heather_Nova's Valley_of_Sound:
http://www.Cotse.NET/users/jeffrelf/Valley_of_Sound.MP3

Move me... ... Don't try. ...
Let the music... ... reach me tonight.
Push me... ... over... into something... n-n-new.
I've been riding all daaayyy on a bus... ... Just to listen to you.
I love, I love, I love, I love, the look... ... in your trespassed eyes.
I love, I love, I love, I love, the waaayyy... ... you can make me cry.
Sink me... ... into stirred-up sea... yeah.
Something I can dro-o-own in... ... Only you can do this to me.

I love, I love, I love, I love, the look... ... in your trespassed eyes.
I love, I love, I love, I love, the waaayyy... ... you can make me cry.
... a-a-ah,
... o-o-oh.
... o-o-oh.
Fill me... ... up... and drop me down... ... yeah.
Now... ... I'm alive... in the valley of sound...
in the valley of sound...
in the valley of sound... yeah...
in the valley of sound...
I love, I love, I love, I love, the look...
...in your trespa-a-assed eyes... yeah.
I love, I love, I love, I love, the waaayyy... ... you can make me cry.

Oha... yeah, yeah... in the valley of sound...
yyymmm.... o-o-oha... in the valley of sound...
yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah... in the valley, the valley, the valley
... o-o-oh, o-o-oh... the valley of sound... hmmm... yeah.

Jim Richardson

--
Jim Richardson
http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock
Scott Dorsey

John wrote:

approx. 9 months ago. it was a brief consideration when we were
spoec'ing new mastering systems but there wasn't anything in the 'nix
world to meet the criteria which included DDP delivery in Orange Book
format as well as DDP on Exabyte and supporting the PlexToools proggies
from Plextor and/or interfacing with our Clover 101.

Dunno about the Plextor stuff, but we run GEAR under Solaris and it
works nicely... I think they also have a Linux port.

You _can_ get cdwrite to make a DDP image file, then dd it to Exabyte.
under Linux, the exabyte drive just shows up as a file in /dev that you
can copy data to... if you copy a file over to it, it appears on the
tape with an end of file mark at the end. And Orange Book is easy.

The Plextools support is the real sticky point. I agree that is a
dealbreaker. I got the interface specs from Plextor and I keep saying
I am going to write an error monitoring tool, but at this point I am
still using an instrumented Philips CD player that I built in grad school.
Scott Dorsey

Bob Cain wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

The Unix alternative is to put all the configuration stuff in the
filesystem, so there's nothing to get out of synch. But it means
more calls to open and close files.

Is that the only reason for a registry? Are there any other
advantages to a central repository for stuff like that?
I've often wondered about "whence the registry."

Someone else pointed out the issue of atomic transactions, but this only
becomes a big issue when you have a whole lot of things making changes
to the same thing, which would seem like something you'd want to avoid
anyway.

Allchin came up with the registry after seeing how VMS handled a lot of
the central configuration stuff in a database, and I think it turned out
to be a bad decision, but now it's too late to do anything about.
(Incidentally, some of this wound up being the reason VMS forks are so
slow...)

The one thing I _do_ miss about VMS is the heavyweight filesystem, which
is itself a real database rather than just a collection of flat files.
But everyone is getting away from that today. Even Apple has pretty much
dropped the resource fork stuff in the filesystem and they only bother
faking it for older applications.