Raglan

Default Home-reccers, your gear is good enough

If you're a home recordist, I have a suggestion -- stop stressing out
about your gear. It's probably fine. The signal path is more than
likely capable of getting fairly close to megastudio quality even if
all your equipment is just prosumer-level stuff. If your recordings
sound crap, the reason is probably your technique, not the
shortcomings of the gear.

Yes, this is meant to be provocative. No, it's not meant as a troll.
It seems to me that the gear obsession that drives much of the
discussion in rec.audio.pro is misplaced. Many overenthusiastic
amateurs like me are being stampeded by "pro" advice into buying stuff
that they don't need and won't do them any good.

Even the best gear in the world won't make up for the acoustic
shortcomings of typical home studios. And even low-end gear won't
usually make them audibly worse.

Two theoretical exceptions may seem to be microphones and monitors,
which are highly coloured compared with solid-state electronics. But
you can get decent enough mics cheaply -- look no further than the
SM57 or condensers like the Oktavas, Rodes and MXLs. And
cheap-and-nasty monitors can do a good enough job. You've just got to
learn them. Look at the ubiquitous NS10. Hell, some hi-fi speakers
will do just fine. (Oh yes they will.) No one pair of monitors will
tell you everything, anyway.

Cheap modern solid-state audio gear, even some of the worst of it, is
actually not bad. Signal-to-noise and distortion figures are fantastic
by the standards of a few decades ago. Never before has it been
possible to buy so much transparency for so little money. On top of
that, most home studio work these days is done in the digital domain.
How much seriously audible damage can be done to a signal that is
subjected to no more than preamplification, mild compression and A/D
conversion before it enters -- and stays in -- the digital domain?

Before you flame me, take note that I'm saying "good enough", not
"stellar". So how good is good enough?

I reckon the judgment lies with the lay listener. If my girlfriend
can't tell the difference, then there is no difference -- for all
practical purposes. And if my hi-fi crazed friend (whose listening
gear costs a lot more than the entire contents of my home studio)
reckons that some of my output compares sonically with less exacting
commercial releases, then I consider my hobby well worth carrying on
with. I think you should do the same.

Of course, both my friend and my girlfriend are wrong, in the sense
that I can tell the difference and the little flaws leap out at me.
Pro engineers might spot the difference on a boom box. But that's not
the point. We make music for ourselves and for the listener, not the
anal perfectionists in the industry.

I've been doing this home-reccing thing for nearly 20 years, mostly as
an aid to songwriting and arrangement for various bands. My sound
sucked for the first 15 years, when I was using four-track cassette,
but I learnt a lot of techniques and workarounds. Then I got a DAW,
and my sound still sucked because I didn't understand the special
problems of digital. The past five years have been a period of
learning and slow improvement and I'm now confident of being able to
make recordings -- musical content aside -- that the average listener
cannot tell from a commercial release on an average playback system.
And I use equipment that would be panned in this forum.

Having said all this, I have to add that gear quality is not
*entirely* irrelevant. Some stuff will do obvious harm to your
recordings -- those starved-plate preamps spring to mind. Horrible
microphones are not a good idea. And decent sources -- good-sounding
instruments and amplifiers, and guitars with newish strings -- make a
big difference.

Certainly a home-reccer should avoid the very worst gear, but there is
hardly any point in aspiring to the best. You're just wasting your
money.

Raglan

PS. What inspired this posting was a bout of gear-insecurity that I
recently suffered, specifically about my audio card, a Delta 44. How
much fidelity did the converters lose, I worried. Well, I took a fine
recording with lots of detail (track 2 on Bela Bela La Habana by
Chucho Valdes) and ran it through the sound card six times. After that
amount of generation loss, flaws should be strikingly apparent. And
they are. But guess what? Not so bad, actually..... and my girlfriend
mistakes the seventh-generation copy for the original if I trick her
with an extra couple of dB on the copy.
Ethan Winer

Raglan,

Bravo, excellent post! I've been making those exact points for many years
now - especially the notion that all the stellar gear in the world is
useless if you're mixing in an untreated room. Yes, aside from mikes and
speakers, which do vary, most "prosumer" gear is extremely good. Your
girlfriend is indeed the final arbiter. As Craig Anderton once wrote, "No
listener gives a damn what microphone preamp you used."

--Ethan

Doc

"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote in message

Bravo, excellent post! I've been making those exact points for many years
now - especially the notion that all the stellar gear in the world is
useless if you're mixing in an untreated room. Yes, aside from mikes and
speakers, which do vary, most "prosumer" gear is extremely good.

I wonder if anyone has done & published blind comparisons of recordings made
on consumer/prosumer level gear -vs- high-end gear both recorded and
listened to in the same environment by people who know what they're doing to
see how many times out of x number of tracks that pro's a/or Joe Listener
can tell the difference.

Then again, I'm guessing that neither gear manufacturers nor well-known
pro's would be in a big hurry to participate or for such a test to be done
and publicized, for obvious reasons.

Once read an online review (can't recall the specifics - I suppose it could
be found again) where the reviewer compared an MXL 1006 to a U-87. His
observation was that it took several listens to discern any difference and
that even at that, it wasn't much of a difference. I'm not making any claims
as to his competence or the validity of his assertions, etc., just
presenting it as an observation.

sycochkn

Different is not necessarily better or worse, just different. I bought low
end recording gear, MXL 991 microphones a couple art preamps and a fostex
MR-8. The only reason I have high end monitors is because I bought them 30
years ago for my stereo. The sound card in my PC was just too noisey. I am
sure if I do a lot of signal modification in the digital domain the 16 bits
will not be enough, but since I am only adjusting the level and making a
stereo recording it is probably good enough for the moment. I cant tell the
difference.

Bob

"Doc" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

ScotFraser

If you're a home recordist, I have a suggestion -- stop stressing out
about your gear. It's probably fine. The signal path is more than
likely capable of getting fairly close to megastudio quality even if
all your equipment is just prosumer-level stuff.

"Fairly close" is so wide open to interpretation as to be largely meaningless.
I know where you're going with this, but it is a mistake to think that a
"megastudio" excels due to superior equipment specs alone. It has to do with
integration & optimization of an entire system, which includes design &
acoustics, electrical, HVAC, maintenance, human resources & service
accomodations, in addition to sound equipment that home hobbyists can't or
won't afford.

If your recordings
sound crap, the reason is probably your technique, not the
shortcomings of the gear.

It's both. Gear without shortcomings will improve your technique.

It seems to me that the gear obsession that drives much of the
discussion in rec.audio.pro is misplaced.

Quite possibly.

Many overenthusiastic
amateurs like me are being stampeded by "pro" advice into buying stuff
that they don't need and won't do them any good.

It's true you don't need high end gear, especially if your intent is not to
provide a professional service for others. It is not particularly true that the
better gear won't do you any good, if the intent is to attain master quality
results.

Even the best gear in the world won't make up for the acoustic
shortcomings of typical home studios.

True, although the quality bump can optimize certain less than stellar acoustic
spaces.

And even low-end gear won't
usually make them audibly worse.

I disagree with this.

Cheap modern solid-state audio gear, even some of the worst of it, is
actually not bad. Signal-to-noise and distortion figures are fantastic
by the standards of a few decades ago. Never before has it been
possible to buy so much transparency for so little money.

I disagree that most low cost audio gear provides transparency, at least to the
level that I'm comfortable with.

Before you flame me, take note that I'm saying "good enough", not
"stellar". So how good is good enough?

Noted. The one commodity you have not mentioned, though, is time. Yes, I, &
many others here, can get respectable results from less than wonderful gear
with a lot of work. But, put up a U47, into Neve 1081, to an LA2A & you will
be recording master quality vocal tracks ten seconds later. Home recordists
have resources of time that pros do not, given the economic realities of the
music business. We have to get it right, right now, because highly paid people
are waiting for us to give them results. That's why the "Pro advice" here tends
to say to get good gear & stop dicking around. If you have the luxury of time,
you can spend hours messing around with mostly OK equipment to get reasonable
results. I think that IS good enough. Good enough in the pro world, however,
just isn't good enough.

Scott Fraser

Paul Stamler

Raglan has a good point, in fact a lot of them. One thing, though: a lot of
the errors in cheap microphones, preamp/mixers and A/Ds are in the same
direction -- bright and harsh -- and reinforce one another. If you choose
your cheap gear carefully to minimize this, you can get surprisingly
excellent results, but if you just put stuff together because it sounded
spiffy at the store, you're likely to get hideous recordings. (Bright often
sounds spiffy on first listen.) The old budget hi-fi idea of making sure the
gear's imperfections cancel each other out instead of reinforcing is equally
applicable to recording gear.

Peace,
Paul

Bob Olhsson

"Raglan" wrote in message
m...
... So how good is good enough?

Good enough that it doesn't slow down or stand in the way of obtaining a
great performance.

I agree that it isn't about what gear is capable of sounding like but
there's more to this than potential sound quality.

The biggest difference between truly great pro gear and consumer gear is the
size of the sweet spot. It's about feeling like you're going to end up with
a distorted, brittle-sounding keeper if you can't set a little hair-trigger
pot quickly enough while missing the fact that the mike is unexpectedly in
the wrong place. About never having to tell an artist you'll fix what it
sounds like "later."

Sometimes simply not having any excuses makes a high end studio with a
stellar track record well worth any extra expense. There's just as big of an
ego trip available from using the cheapest, "good enough" gear as copping an
attitude that only expensive gear is "good enough" for you. BOTH are dead
ends in my experience.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

J&L

This thread is horse ****.

Its only a comfy blanket for all the times you got ripped off at guitar
center.

Thier is no way u can compare the detail of a beringer/m-audio AD to a lavry
or something real..

The review compareing a MXL gibson mic to a u87.. Nuff said..

Maybe you need to re-cone those 20 year old speakers.

Serioulsy guys Post like this only keep you down in the dirt and keep you
buying more cheap gear to try and fix it.

Dont fall for it.

Regards

Leon

J&L

And reglan are u one of the employes for Presouns that keep posting here on
how great the new junkpod is?

Im tierd of this crap.

This is RECORDING AUDIO PRO. not recording audio cheap **** that the local
music store salesman tricked you into buying.

Regards

Leon

Raymond

Raglan wrote
If you're a home recordist, I have a suggestion -- stop stressing out
about your gear. It's probably fine. The signal path is more than
likely capable of getting fairly close to megastudio quality even if
all your equipment is just prosumer-level stuff.

If your a home (not looking to be a professional) recordist you should not even
read this group. Try over at the 4-track group, they will give you all the
praise your looking for.
If your happy with cheap, low quality equipment and poorly constructed rooms
then fine, but this is "Record Audio Pro". Not "Record Audio Hi-End" or "Record
Audio Consumer", I came up in the mid 80's on a Fostex X15 to, but I have moved
up to bigger and better.

Arny Krueger

"J&L" wrote in message
This thread is horse ****.

Its only a comfy blanket for all the times you got ripped off at
guitar center.

Thier is no way u can compare the detail of a beringer/m-audio AD to
a lavry or something real..

Got any unbiased tests to back that claim up with?

I'll bet that with the label showing, you find that designer blue jeans
always fit better, too.

Preben Friis

"Raymond" wrote in message
If your happy with cheap, low quality equipment and poorly constructed

rooms
then fine, but this is "Record Audio Pro". Not "Record Audio Hi-End" or

"Record
Audio Consumer", I came up in the mid 80's on a Fostex X15 to, but I have

moved
up to bigger and better.

This is rec.audio.pro as in "recreational.audio.production" ... You don't
have to be payed to be here..

Does what you do sound bigger and better now ... or does your gear just take
up more space?

/Preben Friis

Mike Rivers

In article . net writes:

I wonder if anyone has done & published blind comparisons of recordings made
on consumer/prosumer level gear -vs- high-end gear both recorded and
listened to in the same environment by people who know what they're doing to
see how many times out of x number of tracks that pro's a/or Joe Listener
can tell the difference.

I'm not sure what the point of that would be other than as an
experiment. High end gear is used for high end projects involving high
end musicians, high end engineers, and high end producers. While some
of the High End Engineers or Producers use an M-box on their laptop at
home or on an airplane to edit and do some rough mixes, that's not the
final product, ever, unless it's one of those "the music is just so
good we had to release it for the publicity" stunts.

Low end gear is usually used by people without a lot of experience,
recording people who don't have a lot of experience. You never get
past the "it sounds fine, but I sure wish they played better" stage.

It's mostly people who have low end gear and little experience who
think that it's the gear that's keeping their project from sounding
like a commercial recording. Then they get more expensive gear and ask
if they need better cables, or a master word clock, or new monitors.

I heard an excellent sounding recording of a rock band on which all
the mics used were SM57s. That proved mostly that the band, engineer,
and facilities were good. There was no compelling reason to use
different microphones, although it the project didn't start out to
prove a point, other choices would have been made.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

EggHd

While some
of the High End Engineers or Producers use an M-box on their laptop at
home or on an airplane to edit and do some rough mixes, that's not the
final product, ever, unless it's one of those "the music is just so
good we had to release it for the publicity" stunts.

I mixed a track for a greatest hits package on my Mbox. I didn't start out
thinking I was going to mix it - I was just checking out the parts and what was
there and ended up having a pretty good mix. Mp3'd a copy to the A&R guy, he
loved it and it went on the CD. Nobody ever asked me where or how I mixed it.

But this is not the norm.

---------------------------------------

Raglan

"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote in message ...
Raglan,

Bravo, excellent post! I've been making those exact points for many years
now - especially the notion that all the stellar gear in the world is
useless if you're mixing in an untreated room. Yes, aside from mikes and
speakers, which do vary, most "prosumer" gear is extremely good. Your
girlfriend is indeed the final arbiter. As Craig Anderton once wrote, "No
listener gives a damn what microphone preamp you used."

--Ethan

Ethan,

I'm honoured to win praise from an expert and fine writer like you. As
it so happens, I've recently discovered your website and I'm about to
build bass traps using your design.

The way I see the state of prosumer audio at the moment is a bit like
the state of desktop publishing around 1990. (My job is in publishing,
so I was there.) The analogy isn't perfect, but it's instructive.

Before the advent of DTP, "professional-looking" documents could only
be produced on specialised equipment by skilled operators at vast
expense. When DTP came along, the skilled operators pooh-poohed it. At
first, they were right. But any fool could see that the potential was
there.

As DTP advanced, they resorted to special-case arguments, such as
saying it would never be possible to produce a multi-edition
broadsheet newspaper using the new technology. But of course it was,
soon enough.

Nowadays, any fool with a small amount of capital can set up DTP
workstations and an imagesetter and produce the best possible quality
of output for printing. Technically speaking, that is. The fact
remains that without a solid grounding in design principles,
lithographic printing techniques, colour theory and so on, all this
cheap but nevertheless state-of-the-art equipment will only produce
garbage. Which is why specialised repro houses are still in business.

And so it is with audio. Instead of dissing the cheap gear to maintain
their competitive advantage, I suggest the pros should consider
embracing it, while emphasising what is their real selling point --
the skill and experience they bring to operating it.

At the present time, the audio pros seem to be where the print
compositors were in 1990 -- arguing endlessly about how many angels
could dance on a 1200dpi imagesetter.

Raglan

knud

High end gear is used for high end projects involving high
end musicians, high end engineers, and high end producers.

Mike... I guess you haven't flipped on top 40 radion in the last 10 years!
^_^

"I'm beginning to suspect that your problem is the gap between
what you say and what you think you have said."
-george (paraphrased)

dt king

"Raglan" wrote in message
m...
If you're a home recordist, I have a suggestion -- stop stressing out
about your gear. It's probably fine. The signal path is more than
likely capable of getting fairly close to megastudio quality even if
all your equipment is just prosumer-level stuff. If your recordings
sound crap, the reason is probably your technique, not the
shortcomings of the gear.

The vast majority of my listeners are downloading MP3s. I could be tracking
on a pocket dictation recorder and the difference would be barely audible.
If audio quality was the first consideration for consumers, $30 blasters
wouldn't have their own shelf at KMart.

dtk

T Maki

Hear, hear ...

TM

Raglan wrote:

The way I see the state of prosumer audio at the moment is a bit like
the state of desktop publishing around 1990. (My job is in publishing,
so I was there.) The analogy isn't perfect, but it's instructive.

snip of a well-put analogy

At the present time, the audio pros seem to be where the print
compositors were in 1990 -- arguing endlessly about how many angels
could dance on a 1200dpi imagesetter.

ChrisCoaster

(Raglan) wrote in message om...
[...]

_______________________
Exactly what I was trying to say in 1/10th the space (just kidding!).
A recurring point of mine, very much related to what you are saying
here, was paying critical attention to gain structure, from mic to
(ext pre-amp) to mixer out to verb back to mixer to record loop, etc.
Is EACH step in the chain being utilized to the max of it's capacity -
above the noise floor but below clipping/distortion?

One could spend more on gear than on the entire building that gear
will be located in, and it will be for nothing if they don't know
squat about gain structure.

-Chris"Basics before Blingbling"Coaster

Mark

Its....

40% the song
40% the performance
10% the room
10% everything else

Mark
Mark

Its....

40% the song
40% the performance
10% the room
10% everything else

Mark

sycochkn

I play guitar and desired to record myself. I started out using the sound
card in my computer. Way too bad.

I decided to get something a little better. And my budget was ony 1000
dollars for the whole banana.

The setup is almost good enough for that purpose. Now I need to convert my
spare room to a little studio suitable for a very small group of musicians.

For the actual recording of a CD you rent a studio and hire a recording
engineer. That is a lot cheaper than doing it yourself. If you have a
contract with a record company. all you need is your instrument.

Bob

"Raglan" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Harvey Gerst

"Preben Friis" wrote:

This is rec.audio.pro as in "recreational.audio.production" ... You don't
have to be payed to be here..

Preben,

For the millionth time, here is the start of the FAQ for this group. Please note
the absence of the word "production":

Q1.1 - What is this newsgroup for? What topics are appropriate here, and what
topics are best saved for another newsgroup? [9/98]

This newsgroup exists for the discussion of issues and topics related to
professional audio engineering. We generally do not discuss issues relating to
home audio reproduction, though they do occasionally come up. The rec.audio.*
hierarchy of newsgroups is as follows:

rec.audio.pro - Issues pertaining to professional audio
rec.audio.marketplace - Buying and trading of consumer equipment
rec.audio.tech - Technical discussions about consumer audio
rec.audio.opinion - Everyone's $0.02 on consumer audio
rec.audio.high-end - High-end consumer audio
rec.audio.misc - Everything else
alt.music.4-track - Deals with smaller home based recording projects
rec.music.makers.marketplace - A music related for sale forum

Please be sure to select the right newsgroup before posting.

--
Q1.2 - Do I have to be a "professional" to post here?

No. Anyone is welcome to post on rec.audio.pro so long as the messages you post
are endemic to the group in some way. If you are not an audio professional, we
would ask that you read this FAQ in full before posting. You may find that some
of your essential questions about our field are answered right here. But if not,
feel free to ask us.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/

dt king

"Harvey Gerst" wrote in message
"Preben Friis" wrote:

This is rec.audio.pro as in "recreational.audio.production" ... You

don't
have to be payed to be here..

Preben,

For the millionth time, here is the start of the FAQ for this group.

Please note
the absence of the word "production":

Ya got me curious. I looked up the Feb 1992 charter. Under reference
entry, the official listing for the newsgroup is "rec.audio.pro
Professional audio gear, production and studio engineering".

The intended audience was...

- Broadcast and studio engineers
- Those with interests in production and engineering
- Musicians and recording hobbyists

Feels a little like quoting scripture.

dt king