ComboverFish

Default Peavey Unity 1000 riveted together - ideas?

I have had this Peavey Unity 1000 mixer since new (almost 15 years).
I have had much better luck with it that the stories on Google groups
would suggest I should

So far I have only had one problem; I inserted a brand new poorly made
xlr cable into channel 1 and it was really tight going in. Upon
pulling it out the female connector/insert came out with it. I ended
up successfully supergluing it back in and its worked great since.

I would have taken the unit apart to replace the XLR jack properly but
the Peavey is completely riveted together front and back. One post (I
think by Lord Valve?) indicated these rivets are plastic. What do
they go into? If I were to drill out all 50 rivets how would I
reassemble the unit? Is there a standard threaded hole that these
things get smashed into that would accept small machine screws upon
reassembly?

I like this unit enough to keep it around -- incase I ever decide to
mic all of my toms seperately the 8 preamps will be very handy!

Thanks for reading along,
Comboverfish
ComboverFish

Thanks for the response, Mark. However, I don't understand. Here's
what I have: My Peavey is the "table top" design, so instead of rack
ears on the left and right it has these 2 black ends held on with 3
screws each. Take those ends off and you can see the channel shaped
metal ends that everything "rivets" to. The front panel with all the
sliders and pots has rivets going through it into these channels
(among other areas) and the back panel has rivets that also secure it
to the metal channels. I can't see any way of 'prying' this thing
apart because the front and back faces are securely fastened to the
same things.

Anyway, this is just all theory right now. I expect to start using the
mixer more in the next year and have figured on some slider breakage.
Just trying to get a leg up on it before it happens....

If it comes to experimentation I'll just save up enough for a Mackie
before diving in. Thanks,
Comboverfish

Mark wrote in message

You don't drill them out.

They are a 2 piece unit. Gently pry up on the part you can
see. It will pop out. Once it's out, you can remove the
second part with a needle-nose pliers.

Reassemble in reverse.

Mark

In article
,
says...
Thanks for the response, Mark. However, I don't understand. Here's
what I have: My Peavey is the "table top" design, so instead of rack
ears on the left and right it has these 2 black ends held on with 3
screws each. Take those ends off and you can see the channel shaped
metal ends that everything "rivets" to. The front panel with all the
sliders and pots has rivets going through it into these channels
(among other areas) and the back panel has rivets that also secure it
to the metal channels. I can't see any way of 'prying' this thing
apart because the front and back faces are securely fastened to the
same things.

Yes, I understand what you have, and have taken many apart.
You have to remove all knobs, then gently pry up (a small
screwdriver will work) on the edges of the "rivets". The
part you can see will come out with a stem attached to it.
Once that's out, you'll still have the second part of the
rivet in the hole. Gently pry it out with the same
screwdriver. Once they're all out, you can separatee the
case.

Note that the case is Extremely tight around the XLRs
(Actually, the black ring around the XLR stays attached to
the case, only the center part separates). Work slowly back
and forth. Don't get impatient.

It goes back together much easier.

--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
Your perception may be different.

Triple Z is spam control.

ComboverFish

Thanks for the reply. It makes sense now. I thought you meant PRY
the upper and lower halves apart, when infact you meant PRY the rivets
out first (instead of drill them out). That's the ticket. Hopefully
some other cheapskates will benefit from this too

Here's the link to a place that lists specific Peavey replacement
parts:
http://www.vibroworld.com/parts/tech17.html

Thanks again,
Comboverfish