Default Study shows downloading helps cd sales

Contrary to popular urban myths, downloading doesn't account but for a
tiny minorty in drop in cd sales. In fact research shows that cd
downloading increases are followed by greater sales for the same cd. It
is not unlike radio playtime, the more it is heard, either by download or
on the radio, the more likely for a purchase. The music biz needs to wake
up and smell the shrink wrap on recordable cdr's. It is a loss in quality
of music stupid and manipulation of talent in an attempt to create the
next "big" act that is at fault.

ryanm

"Bob Cain" wrote in message

The reasoning is flawed. The same pressures which increase
downloading will increase purchase. This doesn't begin to
isolate or disprove the effect that downloading has on sales.

You're just not looking deeply enough. The study was conducted based on
individual album sales, rather than combined numbers, and actually showed
that albums which were released in previous years' sales went up directly
proportionally to the amount of times they were downloaded. For a specific
case, albums that sold more than 600k copies were shown to not only *not*
drop as downloading increased, but go *up* by approximately one sale per 150
downloads. It was only the least popular music that seemed to suffer because
of downloading, which I would assume is because people tried it and didn't
like it enough to buy it.

It is not precisely the same pressures that cause increases in both
behaviors, although there is significant overlap. P2P software acts as an
aggregator, allowing people to find music according to genre and other
grouping methods, which actually causes it's own pressure on cd sales.
People are using P2P software to shop for the music they will buy next.

ryanm

Bob Cain

ryanm wrote:

"Bob Cain" wrote in message

The reasoning is flawed. The same pressures which increase
downloading will increase purchase. This doesn't begin to
isolate or disprove the effect that downloading has on sales.

You're just not looking deeply enough. The study was conducted based on
individual album sales, rather than combined numbers, and actually showed
that albums which were released in previous years' sales went up directly
proportionally to the amount of times they were downloaded. For a specific
case, albums that sold more than 600k copies were shown to not only *not*
drop as downloading increased, but go *up* by approximately one sale per 150
downloads. It was only the least popular music that seemed to suffer because
of downloading, which I would assume is because people tried it and didn't
like it enough to buy it.

That still falls within what I said. There is no reason to
see causality in this coincidence. They can both have the
same cause. Popularity.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Ricky W. Hunt

"ryanm" wrote in message

You're just not looking deeply enough. The study was conducted based

on
individual album sales, rather than combined numbers, and actually showed
that albums which were released in previous years' sales went up directly
proportionally to the amount of times they were downloaded.

Not that this makes any difference but before I ran Kazaa I had about 10
CD's. Now I have over 300 all purchased at retail. Since I stopped using
Kazaa (about a year ago) I think I've bought about 3 CD's.

Mikey

"ryanm" wrote in message ...
"Bob Cain" wrote in message

The reasoning is flawed. The same pressures which increase
downloading will increase purchase. This doesn't begin to
isolate or disprove the effect that downloading has on sales.

You're just not looking deeply enough. The study was conducted based on
individual album sales, rather than combined numbers, and actually showed
that albums which were released in previous years' sales went up directly
proportionally to the amount of times they were downloaded. For a specific
case, albums that sold more than 600k copies were shown to not only *not*
drop as downloading increased, but go *up* by approximately one sale per 150
downloads.

Which could also mean 149 sales lost.

It was only the least popular music that seemed to suffer because
of downloading, which I would assume is because people tried it and didn't
like it enough to buy it.

A good enough point, which is a quality issue, not a moral or legal
one, but...

It is not precisely the same pressures that cause increases in both
behaviors, although there is significant overlap. P2P software acts as an
aggregator, allowing people to find music according to genre and other
grouping methods, which actually causes it's own pressure on cd sales.
People are using P2P software to shop for the music they will buy next.

ryanm

And hopefully iTunes, etc. will be the cure, and forever banish the
lame excuses that people come up with to steal music. If you, or
anyone, take music by downloading it, and use it by listening to it,
without the copyright owner's permission you are STEALING IT
REGARDLESS OF WHETEHER YOU INTENDED TO BUY IT. THEFT IS THEFT AND ONLY
THE ARTIST AND/OR COPYRIGHT HOLDER SHOULD BE ABLE TO DECIDE IF THEIR
WORK CAN BE DOWNLOADED. How many artists decide what 'data' you will
release about yourself? How would you feel if an artist uploaded very
important files about you for the whole world to d/l?

Forgive me if you've answered this before, but do you, Ryan M, record
or create music with the intention of profiting or at least breaking
even? Do you offer any music or music service for sale? Or are you
just an onlooker of this group? I've seen a few of your posts, but
only in regard to d/l'ing.

If you are a music professional (or even money-making amateur), or
have any other music industry experience, I will be more inclined to
weigh your arguments as to how d/l'ing can help the industry.

More importantly, do you have any friends in bands? Isn't an unsigned,
on-their-own band the *most* likely to suffer the greatest from music
theft? Most likely from their 'friends' or 'fans'? Every penny counts,
at that stage of an act's development. Or should only the wealthy be
able to afford the equipment and resources needed to succeed? I've
said this befo The ONLY way to assure that an artist doesn't make
any $ on a song is to promote d/l'ing it for free against their will.

If the artist wants to benefit from d/l'ing, THAT IS THE ARTIST'S
CHOICE, NOT YOURS OR ANYONE ELSE'S.

Mikey
Nova Music Productions
Bob Cain

Ricky W. Hunt wrote:

Not that this makes any difference but before I ran Kazaa I had about 10
CD's. Now I have over 300 all purchased at retail. Since I stopped using
Kazaa (about a year ago) I think I've bought about 3 CD's.

I would really hope that effect is found to be widespread
and counteracts the others that cease buying but I'm skeptical.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
ryanm

"Bob Cain" wrote in message

That still falls within what I said. There is no reason to
see causality in this coincidence. They can both have the
same cause. Popularity.

Well, the difficulty is the overlap. Popularity certainly does drive
both, but since the advent of P2P downloading, some artists' back catalog
purchases have gone up significantly. So have "unknowns" that happen to have
names that start with the same letter as popular bands in the same genre.
And so on. There *is* actually evidence that people are finding music they
never would've heard otherwise on P2P networks, and that they are purchasing
as a result. Personally, I don't know anyone who downloads that doesn't also
have a pretty large CD collection. Most of them download for the immediacy
of it; they want to hear a particular song *right now*, and after listening
to it, they often buy the cd so that they don't have to search for it the
next time they want to hear it. I've used it to look up songs I heard on a
movie soundtrack based on the first line of the chorus, which helped me find
the artist and album name, which allowed me to buy it when I couldn't have
otherwise (have you ever tried to read the publishing info at the end of a
movie on VHS? Illegible between the scan-lines and the blur).

If you look at the studies, there really is no doubt that people are
using it to find new music, not just to get what they hear on the radio, and
that many of them are purchasing after finding it. The thing that makes it
look like a lot more people are downloading than buying is the fact that,
when people can sit at home in their underwear and browse 1000 songs, they
*do*. As opposed to having to get dressed and go to the store, find a disc,
get the high-school kid working the section to put it in a demo player
(assuming they even have one), just to listen to a few songs on a single cd.
So, yeah, they download a *lot* more than they buy, but for the most part it
seems to be a browsing behavior, rather than a collection behavior.

ryanm

ryanm

"Mikey" wrote in message
m...

Which could also mean 149 sales lost.

Not on planet earth. There is absolutely *no* reason to believe that
those people would've bought the cd just because they were curious about one
song on it. Chances are, they would've simply done without. All 150 of them.
Instead, 150 downloaded, one bought, and the other 149 didn't like it so
they deleted it. 1 is better than 0.

lame excuses that people come up with to steal music. If you, or
anyone, take music by downloading it, and use it by listening to it,
without the copyright owner's permission you are STEALING IT

No, it's not, and I'm not going to go into that again. Theft involves
tangible property, this is a completely different offense with a completely
different set of laws that cover it.

Forgive me if you've answered this before, but do you, Ryan M, record
or create music with the intention of profiting or at least breaking
even? Do you offer any music or music service for sale? Or are you
just an onlooker of this group? I've seen a few of your posts, but
only in regard to d/l'ing.

If you are a music professional (or even money-making amateur), or
have any other music industry experience, I will be more inclined to
weigh your arguments as to how d/l'ing can help the industry.

No, I don't publish any of my music, if that's what you mean. I do game,
presentation, and short film soundtracks occasionally, but those are works
for hire. Mostly, my music is just for me, or for the occasion when I drag
one out for a crowd at my regular (hobby) gig, which is a cover band. But
what, exactly, does that have to do with facts and carefully considered
studies? I'm not stating my opinion, here, I'm quoting or summarizing
scientific studies, conducted by well-respected companies who do the same
kind of studies on the effects of Mtv or radio airplay on purchasing trends.
Or I'm quoting or summarizing news articles, or other perfectly reasonable
sources. Why would my status as a professional musician have any bearing
whatsoever? Just like the question of whether downloading is theft: it is
not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of fact. The law says it is not
theft, so it is not, it is a copyright violation, and that is all that it is
(unless RIAA lobby money can get that changed as wellg).

More importantly, do you have any friends in bands? Isn't an unsigned,
on-their-own band the *most* likely to suffer the greatest from music
theft? Most likely from their 'friends' or 'fans'? Every penny counts,
at that stage of an act's development. Or should only the wealthy be
able to afford the equipment and resources needed to succeed? I've
said this befo The ONLY way to assure that an artist doesn't make
any $ on a song is to promote d/l'ing it for free against their will.

Actually, the unsigned bands and the indy acts seem to be, by all
studies and accounts, getting the *most* benefits from P2P downloading. It
gives them instant access to a worldwide market, something that they *never*
would've been able to get under a label unless they were lucky enough to be
one of the (very) few who the labels decide can make a lot of money. It is
only the signed acts on the top labels who are selling hundreds of thousands
of units a year that are seeing *any* decline in sales, and I do mean *any*
decline, which could be attributed to *anything* (the economy, a crap 2nd
album, dixie chicks syndrome, etc), not just downloading. Check out the
other thread I started called "Some Industry News" for some news articles
relating specifically to this subject.

ryanm

Paul Rubin

Bob Cain writes:
Not that this makes any difference but before I ran Kazaa I had
about 10 CD's. Now I have over 300 all purchased at retail. Since
I stopped using Kazaa (about a year ago) I think I've bought about 3 CD's.

I would really hope that effect is found to be widespread and
counteracts the others that cease buying but I'm skeptical.

Record labels whine all the time about kazaa users listening to CD
tracks without paying for the CD's, but another group of people,
namely radio listeners, does exactly the same thing, without the
labels complaining. The labels even ENCOURAGE radio stations to
broadcast the CD's, sometimes to the extent of dispensing illegal
payola to get their CD's on the air more, to get as many people as
possible to listen without paying. You figure it out.

Arny Krueger

Paul Rubin wrote:
Bob Cain writes:
Not that this makes any difference but before I ran Kazaa I had
about 10 CD's. Now I have over 300 all purchased at retail. Since
I stopped using Kazaa (about a year ago) I think I've bought about
3 CD's.

I would really hope that effect is found to be widespread and
counteracts the others that cease buying but I'm skeptical.

Record labels whine all the time about kazaa users listening to CD
tracks without paying for the CD's, but another group of people,
namely radio listeners, does exactly the same thing, without the
labels complaining.

It's not exactly the same thing. A radio listener usually can't make up his
own play lists. A Kazaa user can.

Ricky W. Hunt

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

It's not exactly the same thing. A radio listener usually can't make up

his
own play lists. A Kazaa user can.

Exactly. Radio is advertising. You can't "keep" the product. Kazaa would be
the equivalent of a car dealer trying to get you interested in them by
giving you the very car you want to buy. What kind of business could succeed
like that?

Arny Krueger

Ricky W. Hunt wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

It's not exactly the same thing. A radio listener usually can't make
up his own play lists. A Kazaa user can.

Exactly. Radio is advertising. You can't "keep" the product. Kazaa
would be the equivalent of a car dealer trying to get you interested
in them by giving you the very car you want to buy. What kind of
business could succeed like that?

Agreed, but it's not exactly a black-and-white distinction.

Anybody who wants to can make a recording of a FM station and use a wave
editor to pluck recordings out and save them.

Some people have been doing this for decades. It's always been a relatively
easy possibility, as long as we at least had magnetic tape.

Satellite radio can be "mined" the same way.

The trade-offs relate to sound quality and convenience.

The combination of file-sharing and high speed internet connections made
this sort of thing really scary to many producers.

Too easy, too fast, and the sound quality was too high.

But, it's a qualitative thing. It's not like a car dealer giving away new
cars. It's always been a matter of how nasty the metaphorical free *car*
actually was.

Tom Paterson

From: Paul Rubin

Record labels whine all the time about kazaa users listening to CD
tracks without paying for the CD's, but another group of people,
namely radio listeners, does exactly the same thing, without the
labels complaining. The labels even ENCOURAGE radio stations to
broadcast the CD's, sometimes to the extent of dispensing illegal
payola to get their CD's on the air more, to get as many people as
possible to listen without paying. You figure it out.

I've read that payola is a CODB.

Doesn't do my appreciation for the money folks in the "biz" to see them siccing
the FBI on kids and suing them besides while they bribe radio stations.
Especially when I read that overall CD sales were actually up a bunch (12%) in
'03.

I remember the Payola crackdown of the early 60's. One of my favorite DJ's, on
WKBW (name sadly lost in foggy memory), said he'd take his in the form of a
swimming pool "because they can't take that back". We've lost a lot.

He had a ceremony:
After lighting the candle, repeat after me: "I will not be a tuning knob
twister, or I will get a K-big blister" (something like that, anyhow).

When do you think the Cult of the CEO is going to decline as a national
pastime?
Back to the peanut gallery. --TP

Druhms

It is common knowledge among music industry types that downloading is hurting
sales tremendously. All of the big labels are freaking out right now. The
plan now is how to tap into it instead of fight it. Whether the musicians know
it or not, it is hurting everyone's chances at ever getting any sort of record
deal from a label with enough money to make a deal worth getting. If your goal
is to make a living doing something other than selling records, then my point
is moot.
JJ

Scott Dorsey

Druhms wrote:
It is common knowledge among music industry types that downloading is hurting
sales tremendously. All of the big labels are freaking out right now.

The problem is that the music industry isn't one monolithic block, even though
Sony might everyone to think that it is. Some folks do seem to be really hurt
by downloading, while other sectors of the industry have possibly benefitted
by it (in that obscure and unavailable material has become available, which
would not have been cost-effective for the labels to re-release, and that this
has interested people in other material by the same performers or composers).

The
plan now is how to tap into it instead of fight it. Whether the musicians know
it or not, it is hurting everyone's chances at ever getting any sort of record
deal from a label with enough money to make a deal worth getting.

In the classical world, those chances are so close to zero (and have been
for thirty years) that it's not too big an issue.

If your goal
is to make a living doing something other than selling records, then my point
is moot.

Well, it would sure be nice if performers could make a living actually going
out on the road and performing. But THAT has turned into a rotten market
too, with a few groups making huge money and the middle-range dropped totally
out. I hear people blaming this on everything from bars banning smoking to
the increase in drinking age to the lack of music appreciation classes in
schools.
Paul Rubin

"Arny Krueger" writes:
It's not exactly the same thing. A radio listener usually can't make up his
own play lists. A Kazaa user can.

A radio listener with a tape deck can do the same thing.
hank alrich

Paul Rubin wrote:

Record labels whine all the time about kazaa users listening to CD
tracks without paying for the CD's, but another group of people,
namely radio listeners, does exactly the same thing, without the
labels complaining. The labels even ENCOURAGE radio stations to
broadcast the CD's, sometimes to the extent of dispensing illegal
payola to get their CD's on the air more, to get as many people as
possible to listen without paying. You figure it out.

Okay, I'll figure that out, from the artist/composer/publisher
viewpoint: performance rayalties - ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, etc. How much
performance royalty money can be expected from P2P?

--
ha
Paul Rubin

"Ricky W. Hunt" writes:
It's not exactly the same thing. A radio listener usually can't
make up his own play lists. A Kazaa user can.

Exactly. Radio is advertising. You can't "keep" the product.

That's silly, as anyone with a tape deck can tell you. When I was in
college, whenever a hot new album came out, the local radio stations
would buy copies and play tracks, and also announce for several days
that at a certain time (say 8pm on Thursday) they were going to play
the entire album start to finish commercial-free. No prizes for
figuring out why listeners would care about such precise scheduling.

It'rs true that music taped from FM broadcasts back then didn't sound
as good as CD's do now, but MP3's don't sound so great either.

You might like reading Prof. Lessig's new book "Free Culture",
available in bookstores or also downloadable from his web site
(http://free-culture.org) in pdf form (Creative Commons license).
It's a good description of how copyright developed and how its reach
has expanded drastically in the past few decades. I have it in HTML
form on my own site:

http://www.nightsong.com/phr/free-culture

(warning, the html file is around 700k). Prof. Lessig seems to think
that the free downloads help sales of the printed version, and there
are obvious analogies with mp3's.
Sean Conolly

"Tom Paterson" wrote in message
Doesn't do my appreciation for the money folks in the "biz" to see them

siccing
the FBI on kids and suing them besides while they bribe radio stations.
Especially when I read that overall CD sales were actually up a bunch

(12%) in
'03.

I think what the music business leaders don't want to realize is that
they're simply losing money through bad business practices, just like many
other industries have. Any company that thinks suing the customer is the way
to return to profitability is simply deluding themselves.

Sean

hank alrich

Paul Rubin wrote:

"Arny Krueger" writes:
It's not exactly the same thing. A radio listener usually can't make up his
own play lists. A Kazaa user can.

A radio listener with a tape deck can do the same thing.

Do we have to rehash how long it takes to do that, and then how long it
would take to make a cassette for every person in the online world just
in case they wanted it, too? Versus Kazaaing? Yeah, people could copy
stuff off of the radio, in realtime, and the dupe it in realtime or
halftime, but there is no comparison there with the minimal time and
materials required for P2P distribution.

--
ha
hank alrich

Paul Rubin wrote:

From what I gather, there's no performance royalty from radio
broadcast either, just composer/songwriter royalties.

I think you might want to get with the _definition_ of "performance
royalties", Paul. It isn't what you're thinking it is; ASCAP et al are
_performance royalty collection organizations_. Cogent discussion of
these issues requires working knowledge of the terminology.

If an artist is also the composer, then the artist/cpmposer and
publisher will receive payment.

--
ha
Bob Cain

hank alrich wrote:

A radio listener with a tape deck can do the same thing.

Do we have to rehash how long it takes to do that, and then how long it
would take to make a cassette for every person in the online world just
in case they wanted it, too? Versus Kazaaing? Yeah, people could copy
stuff off of the radio, in realtime, and the dupe it in realtime or
halftime, but there is no comparison there with the minimal time and
materials required for P2P distribution.

That is so ****ing obvious I just wish it didn't need
constant repeating. But it sure seems to. Heavy sigh.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Scott Dorsey

Paul Rubin wrote:
"Ricky W. Hunt" writes:
It's not exactly the same thing. A radio listener usually can't
make up his own play lists. A Kazaa user can.

Exactly. Radio is advertising. You can't "keep" the product.

That's silly, as anyone with a tape deck can tell you. When I was in
college, whenever a hot new album came out, the local radio stations
would buy copies and play tracks, and also announce for several days
that at a certain time (say 8pm on Thursday) they were going to play
the entire album start to finish commercial-free. No prizes for
figuring out why listeners would care about such precise scheduling.

You'll notice that stations haven't done this for years. The whole notion
of an album has changed from the standpoint of radio, too.

It'rs true that music taped from FM broadcasts back then didn't sound
as good as CD's do now, but MP3's don't sound so great either.

Actually, I used to get calls at the station from folks who said that
the air processing made them sound better. And we used a little compression,
but nothing like you see on the air today.

You might like reading Prof. Lessig's new book "Free Culture",
available in bookstores or also downloadable from his web site
(http://free-culture.org) in pdf form (Creative Commons license).
It's a good description of how copyright developed and how its reach
has expanded drastically in the past few decades. I have it in HTML
form on my own site:

http://www.nightsong.com/phr/free-culture

(warning, the html file is around 700k). Prof. Lessig seems to think
that the free downloads help sales of the printed version, and there
are obvious analogies with mp3's.

Depends. Part of the thing is that the book and/or the physical album
has more of a sense of physical reality, and comes with additional value
(ie. nifty liner notes and photos, and in the case of books the ability
to read them on the toilet without printing a huge file out). If that
value is perceived as being greater than the cost of the product, then yes,
downloaders will be the first people to go out and buy it. If not, they
will be far less likely to buy it than if they hadn't downloaded it.
james

In article ,
Paul Rubin wrote:

A radio listener with a tape deck can do the same thing.

Digital media changed everything. The people with their Nakamichis
and their quiet reception were the same people who spent the big bucks
on records, videotapes, cd's.

Best case of a 2nd generation tape from the radio was nothing to worry
about. Worst case of a Nth generation digital format is a whole nother
ballgame.

But I don't think the media companies are anywhere near as upset about
file sharing as they make themselves out to be. The whole think is a
smokescreen for the real nefarious plans.

The media companies do not like the idea that people might return to
independently making their own music. Pro audio snobs will disagree
(and I concur with their views), but the reality is that you can do a
pretty damned good job of audio production with pretty damned small
resources. And if your product has any appeal, you have quite the
unlimited distribution channel, and there's no overhead for any of it.

Where the last generations of garage bands had to settle for a 4-track
portastudio and however many cassettes they could make labels for at
Kinkos, today's garage bands can take for granted 24 bit multitrack,
signal paths and distribution entirely in the digital domain, and a
distribution channel that's potentially better than anything the
industry has ever bought and paid for, and it's all vanishingly near
"free." Yes, it takes talent, but that's a constant whether you have
a hundred bucks to make your demo or 20 million to make your reunion
record.

Consumer video is nowhere near caught up with consumer audio. But the
folks peddling their commercial, 2-channel audio-only wares are
understandably terrified at the idea that an individual can churn out
and distribute material that the average consumer cannot discern from
their expensive product. I'm not speaking to audiophiles or engineers
here, I *know* where the hype collides with the reality. But
audiophiles and engineers aren't the audience, and they aren't the
consumer.

So we end up with media companies making sure that it's always difficult
and expensive for an amateur to produce his own creations. They'd
really like to go back to cassette tape and vinyl, but they can't.
So, out of ideas, they turn to the last resort: influence government to
make it illegal to threaten the business model.

james

In article ,
Tom Paterson wrote:

When do you think the Cult of the CEO is going to decline as a national
pastime?

When there's enough of them in prison to do a reality show that
demonstrates how prisons really don't have golf courses and full service
dining rooms.

james

In article ,
hank alrich wrote:

How much performance royalty money can be expected from P2P?

They had a chance to give, say, shoutcast servers the opportunity to
acquire ascap licenses just like your diner has on the jukebox, but they
asked for unreasonable terms, game over.

But really, the goal isn't to get money out of P2P. The goal is to
squash it. See, for an independent artist like a singer/songwriter,
selling the one recording isn't the goal. The *exposure* is worth *far*
more. And there's never been a medium that can provide the kind of
exposure that the p2p networks gives naturally. If your stuff is good,
it'll get out there because of it's merits, not because of the picture
on the jewel case, not because of it's position on an endcap in the
department store, and not because some paid salesman suggested that you
buy it. People will listen to your stuff because they like it. If
you're lucky, they will remember your name, and they will do the legwork
of distributing your material for you. Historically that's been the
single biggest cost for a struggling band. What a miracle that there's
now a way to do that part without work! What a tragedy that the
establishment is trying desperately to take that opportunity away from
you! But it's for the *children*, you see.

The last vinyl thing I was involved in, more of the budget was to pay
the *photographer* and costs associated with moving the boxes of discs
where they needed to be, than everything else combined! If we'd had P2P
in those days, damn, if *only*.

I wish more people could see what's really going on with the attack
against "p2p". I am very offended when I get the impression that anyone
who ever uses p2p for anything is automatically labeled "pirate" and
"thief". I feel that infringes upon my rights as an artist, because
you're painting my own humble works with that brush, and you're trying
to take away the one workable means of distribution that's ever been
available, and I have a big problem with that.

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

A radio listener usually can't make up his
own play lists. A Kazaa user can.

A radio listener with a tape deck can do the same thing.

Yeah, but he has to do more work than drag-and-drop, and most of
today's music collectors won't put up with real time recording,
fast-wind-and-search, the pause button, and most of all, not having a
source list generated automatically.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Mikey

"ryanm" wrote in message ...
lame excuses that people come up with to steal music. If you, or
anyone, take music by downloading it, and use it by listening to it,
without the copyright owner's permission you are STEALING IT

No, it's not, and I'm not going to go into that again.

Yes it is, and you won't go into it because you are both morally and
legally wrong.

Theft involves
tangible property, this is a completely different offense with a completely
different set of laws that cover it.

If you think that's true, go to a doctor, dentist, or barber shop, use
their services and walk out without paying. See what happens. It's
called theft of services.

snip...

Actually, the unsigned bands and the indy acts seem to be, by all
studies and accounts, getting the *most* benefits from P2P downloading. It
gives them instant access to a worldwide market,

of people who will d/l their stuff w/o paying, against their will. The
are other options.

something that they *never*
would've been able to get under a label unless they were lucky enough to be
one of the (very) few who the labels decide can make a lot of money. It is
only the signed acts on the top labels who are selling hundreds of thousands
of units a year that are seeing *any* decline in sales, and I do mean *any*
decline, which could be attributed to *anything* (the economy, a crap 2nd
album, dixie chicks syndrome, etc), not just downloading. Check out the
other thread I started called "Some Industry News" for some news articles
relating specifically to this subject.

I realize the sales decline is/was not only a d/l problem. But
someone's desire to do an end-run around the labels does NOT require
abandoning moral, fair-to-the-artists-wishes approaches to the
situation.

I notice you haven't replied to the part of my last post saying that
the decision to offer for download should be the artist's, not yours
or some freeloader's. Or do you feel that the artist should not have
that right?

Mikey
Nova Music Productions
"my turn in the barrel..."
Ricky W. Hunt

"Paul Rubin" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" writes:
It's not exactly the same thing. A radio listener usually can't make up

his
own play lists. A Kazaa user can.

A radio listener with a tape deck can do the same thing.

I think he means in radio you can only tape what they play. Meaning if they
don't play the songs you want your screwed. Whereas with Kazaa everything is
available to you.

EggHd

but since the advent of P2P downloading, some artists' back catalog
purchases have gone up significantly.

Who?

---------------------------------------

EggHd

CD sales are not down. CD sales tracked by soundscan are down.

Care to explain?

---------------------------------------
hank alrich

Paul Rubin wrote:

P2P is an enormous pain in the neck. I've never used it.

Me either.

I confess
to having made a few real time cassette dubs off the air or from CD's
or LP's here and there, but I never saw P2P as being worth the hassle.
I know some people who use it and it just sounds like a big mess.

Probably, and I'm not all that interested in opening up any part of my
computer to a world of folks passing around music that isn't their own,
because that sounds like it could turn into unprotected sex easily. I'd
rather swap music in person with other poeple who are manipulating
musical instruments.

Obviously a lot of other people thought it was worth the
inconvenience. Napster had something like 60 million users. However,
that just means they were willing to go to more trouble than I was.
Anyway, if that much of the public think something is a good thing,
maybe the public policy that criminalizes it needs to be re-examined.
There are some proposals floating around for mechanical royalty
schemes for internet downloads similar to broadcast royalties, but the
industry seems opposed to anything that gets in the way of their
choosing what people are allowed to listen to.

Okay, mechanical royalties and performance royalties (what you are
calling "broadcast royalties") are two different things. The latter
would apply appropriately to streaming broadcasts and the former to
downloads.

--
ha
hank alrich

Paul Rubin wrote:

(hank alrich) writes:
I think you might want to get with the _definition_ of "performance
royalties", Paul. It isn't what you're thinking it is; ASCAP et al are
_performance royalty collection organizations_. Cogent discussion of
these issues requires working knowledge of the terminology.

If an artist is also the composer, then the artist/cpmposer and
publisher will receive payment.

OK. The fact is though, performers record cover songs and try to get
them broadcast, even though don't collect any royalties that way.

Right, because in theory that drives both product sales and concert
ticket sales.

Anyway, if that's your sole gripe, then having a royalty system for
internet distribution similar to broadcast royalties would seem to
take care of the problem, however the industry seems opposed to that,
based on a fundamentally wedged attitude.

I wasn't griping at all, just pointing out who earns from what when a
tune is boradcast ovr the radio.

--
ha
hank alrich

james wrote:

hank alrich wrote:

How much performance royalty money can be expected from P2P?

They had a chance to give, say, shoutcast servers the opportunity to
acquire ascap licenses just like your diner has on the jukebox, but they
asked for unreasonable terms, game over.

I'm not up on that but it sounds interesting. What were the terms? Were
they different than for a traditional radio station broadcast in amount
of money per play?

--
ha
Paul Rubin

"Ricky W. Hunt" writes:
A radio listener with a tape deck can do the same thing.

I think he means in radio you can only tape what they play. Meaning if they
don't play the songs you want your screwed. Whereas with Kazaa everything is
available to you.

True and valid. However, at least back in the day, you could call a
radio station and ask them to play a particular song, and they would
play it.