Posted to rec.audio.car
keith keith is offline

Default Where have all the Old Schoolers gone??

I'm talkin' Mark Zarella, The Lizard, Ian, Sancho, Stephen N (aka
Canuck), John Durbin, Pat M, even Eddie Runner...

I see references to "CAF" back in 2003... can someone point me in the
right direction?

Thanks,
Keith

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Ian Bjorhovde pops his head in now and then. Mark is off studying something
far away.

I wish Manville Smith was still around. He was a wonderful source of
information. I learned TONS from him.

I've been around RAC for 10 years, just under different handles.

MOSFET

"keith" wrote in message
I'm talkin' Mark Zarella, The Lizard, Ian, Sancho, Stephen N (aka
Canuck), John Durbin, Pat M, even Eddie Runner...

I see references to "CAF" back in 2003... can someone point me in the
right direction?

Thanks,
Keith

Posted to rec.audio.car
keith keith is offline

Right on... I was somewhat present here from '98 to '02, but then got
burnt out on Eddie induced flame wars dominating the posts. Now it seems
a little hollow without them - LOL. At least they were arguing about
complex issues using factual data and probably ~100 years of combined
experience...

Anyway, I've been lurking for a week or two now, just trying to get the
feel of the current group, and it just seems like there aren't many
people trying - you and Matt seem to be the only consistent contributers...

After a quick search I found caraudioforumn.com. DUH... I'm trying to
get caught up with that forum. I'll stick around here too, and be of
help where I can.

Thanks
KeithS

"keith" wrote in message

I'm talkin' Mark Zarella, The Lizard, Ian, Sancho, Stephen N (aka
Canuck), John Durbin, Pat M, even Eddie Runner...

I see references to "CAF" back in 2003... can someone point me in the
right direction?

Thanks,
Keith

Posted to rec.audio.car
Jamie Pruden Jamie Pruden is offline

Hi Keith,

That's what drove me away as well... I've been poking around a little
the last few months as well.

Not as much juicy stuff to talk about these days.

I've seen a couple of posts from John Durbin now and then...

smiles,
Jamie

Posted to rec.audio.car
keith keith is offline

So, tell me, does distortion _really_ kill speakers????

Sorry, feeling nostalgic...

no, but seriously...

Jamie Pruden wrote:
Hi Keith,

That's what drove me away as well... I've been poking around a little
the last few months as well.

Not as much juicy stuff to talk about these days.

I've seen a couple of posts from John Durbin now and then...

smiles,
Jamie

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40 KU40 is offline

no, it really doesn't.

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
keith keith is offline

Were you around for Mark Z'z dissertation on the subject and the year
long firestorm it kicked up?

Good times...

KeithS

KU40 wrote:

no, it really doesn't.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

So, tell me, does distortion _really_ kill speakers????

Sorry, feeling nostalgic...

no, but seriously...

LOL

Yes, that ANCIENT debate STILL comes up from time to time. Some things will
NEVER change.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40 KU40 is offline

oh, no I wasn't. I'm not on the newsgroup, but belong to a forum that
subscribes to it, so I can see the posts. But we've only had it a few
months. Anything interesting I missed?

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
keith keith is offline

Well, it was very interesting at first - complete with formulae, charts,
bench testing, and ultimately a whole bunch of screaming and chest
thumping. It was very amusing - for the first couple of weeks...

If you're truly interested, do a google groups search for "distortion
mark zarella" - without the quotes... I dont se the original thread, but
you get a peek at a sweet flame war.

anyway, not trying to dredge up muck, just looking for some interesting
and challenging conversation.

KeithS

KU40 wrote:
oh, no I wasn't. I'm not on the newsgroup, but belong to a forum that
subscribes to it, so I can see the posts. But we've only had it a few
months. Anything interesting I missed?

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Anyway, I've been lurking for a week or two now, just trying to get the
feel of the current group,

Ooh, I'm sorry you had to see my little tantrum at Matt. Matt and I usually
get along fine (and he is a tremendous addition to RAC). For some reason I
got the feeling he was going on a nit-picking jag, and I let him know it.
And that started a very unpleasant exchange of Emails.

I believe there is such a thing as spending TOO much time on RAC. It's easy
to let other people's personalities start to get to you and vice versa; your
own personality is CERTAIN to annoy some people (it's human nature).
Sometimes a break is a good strategy if you feel yourself getting annoyed
for any reason. Anyway, that exchange with Matt was not my finest hour.

Keith, may I ask why you left RAC for several years?

I know, for me, there were periods where I just completely lost interest in
car audio as I became heavily involved in other hobbies (electronic music
making, in particular techno). For several years in 2001-2003 I was MIA
from this group. I think that is usually why people come and go. They lose
interest in car audio as a hobby.

Also, as people get older their priorities change. A HUGE killer SPL
vehicle, while important in one's twenties, will often take a back seat to
the needs of a family once the thirties are reached. I'm 38 and I try to
balance both, a big system in a family SUV!

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Jamie Pruden Jamie Pruden is offline

Hi Keith,

Only if Eddie says it does...

smiles,
Jamie

Posted to rec.audio.car
keith keith is offline

Yea, I know what you mean... on all the above. And don't worry, I think
I got the gist of the debate between you and Matt right off. You both
have alot to offer the group, and I'm glad to see things mellowing out.

I left for a while for many reasons. the biggest of which was a move
from CA to VT - RURAL VT - and the loss of high speed internet access.
It was just too annoying trying to connect and keep up. I have satalite
broadband now, so things are much better

I also had a shift in priorities. I'm in my 30's as well, with a couple
of kids, the wife and I both work crazy hours, and I no longer have a
garage to tinker in. It wasn't that I lost interest, I just had to
re-prioritize.

Another thing that struck me was that at the time technology didn't seem
to be growing by leaps and bounds (boy was I wrong there), and I grew
tired of the same old debates over and over again. distortion,
poly-fill in the box or not, which way to aim your subs, system noise,
etc... Now that I'm rebuilding my system again, I've regained my
interest in these issues, and suddenly feel the energy to revisit these
old discussions in a new light.

So, that's pretty much my story in a nutshell. For me having a nice
stereo, and an installation to be proud of is a great feeling. Now, if
I could only decide on my new HU!!!

Talk to you soon,

KeithS

MOSFET wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Another thing that struck me was that at the time technology didn't seem
to be growing by leaps and bounds (boy was I wrong there), and I grew
tired of the same old debates over and over again. distortion,
poly-fill in the box or not, which way to aim your subs, system noise,
etc...

I know what you mean. The question NOW we get over and over and over again
is "how do I connect my iPod to my stereo?".

But, yes, technology HAS been changing and what you find now is that your HU
can do all the things you used to need out-board processors to do (X-overs,
EQ's, time-alignment, BBE, center-channel, etc.). It's wonderful for us as
we now only have to worry about a HU and amps. But for newbie's, all the
new features can be REALLY, REALLY confusing. Especially something like
time-alignment. For someone new to car audio, they wonder "do I really NEED
that?".

Nick

Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] dkreft@gmail.com is offline

keith wrote:

I'm talkin' Mark Zarella, The Lizard, Ian, Sancho, Stephen N (aka
Canuck), John Durbin, Pat M, even Eddie Runner...

Now my feelings are hurt. You mentioned all the old-timers 'cept me.
It's enough to make a seven-footer want to cry, I tell ya.

Wow, the last post I made to this newsgroup was on 9 November 1997.
Just think, if I would have waited another 14 months, I could've made
it an even 10 years. I'm actually surprised the USENET is still working
after all these years.

Anyway, to answer your question ("Where have all the Old Schoolers
gone??"), this one has gone to the Seattle, WA area. I've been living
here for the past seven years working as a software engineer for
Amazon.com. It's a fun job and it certainly pays better (and more
consistently) than the car audio industry or professional basketball
ever did. I wound up marrying a Candian gal and we now have two
kids--Caleb, 3 and Micah 10 mos. (http://the.kreft.net/kids/).

I don't even have a radio in our Honda Odyssey presently--some bozo
stole it from our vehicle on December 26, 2004 and I just can't bring
myself to put the other one (sitting in my nightstand) in the vehicle
only to have it ripped-off, too. So now the big DIN+1/2 hole in the
dash serves as a pretty convenient holder for a big box of Kleenex
(useful when you have kids) and a small umbrella (useful when you live
in Seattle)...I guess that's how you know you're all old and stuff.

Dan Kreft
Former Terrorizer of rec.audio.car (1994? - 1997)

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

In article om, wrote:
keith wrote:

[...]

and JL rep. Hello, just wanted to say hi.

Where have all the rep's gone?

I just looked at the JL Audio site. Noticed they have home subwoofers.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Speaking of JL folks, Manville Smith Emailed me just a couple days ago and
mentioned that he now hangs out at Carsound.com.

MOSFET

"GregS" wrote in message
In article om,

wrote:
keith wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
keith keith is offline

Wow man, I think I just missed you! I started lurking around the time
you left. At any rate, sorry I missed you...

It's kind of funny how priorities change when kids arrive - suddenly you
have to make sure you've got room for a stroller in that trunk

Peace,
KeithS

wrote:
keith wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Christopher \Torroid\ Ott Christopher \Torroid\ Ott is offline

Damn! Dan Kreft is still alive?

Personally, I still lurk from time to time. I do miss Grizz and Andy Ohnstad
among many others. Eddie Runner's manic episodes were always entertaining
too.

I bailed on RAC in late 99' after finishing a controller for Scott Buwalda's
240SX. I actually design and manufacture industrial controllers for heavy
equipment now. Go figure...

Moved from Eugene, OR to Chandler, AZ in 2003. Moved back to Eugene just a
few months ago. About the only thing I miss about the valley is the good
restaurants, and Fry's Electronics.

Chris Ott - AKA "Torroid"
RAC Alumni 1996-1999

wrote in message
ps.com...
keith wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] andrew@frozenmomentsphotography.com is offline

Christopher "Torroid" Ott wrote:
Damn! Dan Kreft is still alive?

Personally, I still lurk from time to time. I do miss Grizz and Andy Ohnstad
among many others. Eddie Runner's manic episodes were always entertaining
too.

I bailed on RAC in late 99' after finishing a controller for Scott Buwalda's
240SX. I actually design and manufacture industrial controllers for heavy
equipment now. Go figure...

Moved from Eugene, OR to Chandler, AZ in 2003. Moved back to Eugene just a
few months ago. About the only thing I miss about the valley is the good
restaurants, and Fry's Electronics.

Chris Ott - AKA "Torroid"
RAC Alumni 1996-1999

Well isn't this a teary-eyed reunion type thing we've got going on
here...

Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] andrew@frozenmomentsphotography.com is offline

Personally, and I don't mean this to be rude, but I just grew up.

A lot of the fun of the whole car audio scene for me was the tinkering,
the building, the electronics, the creation of the system. As I grew
professionally I found other, more productive (and lucrative) outlets
for those urges.

I quit Law Enforcement and got a "real job" in IT. Now I drive a BMW
and I don't think I could change out the head unit with a crow bar.
Come to think of it, I don't really have a headunit. With the loss of
the joy of the hobby I also lost my energy to argue the best
methodology of setting gains on an amplifier with Eddie Runner.

So, no... I'm not back.

---Andrew
RAC Alumni Club Charter Member

keith wrote:
I'm talkin' Mark Zarella, The Lizard, Ian, Sancho, Stephen N (aka
Canuck), John Durbin, Pat M, even Eddie Runner...

I see references to "CAF" back in 2003... can someone point me in the
right direction?

Thanks,
Keith

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Personally, and I don't mean this to be rude, but I just grew up.

Well, personally, and I don't mean this to be rude, you sound pathetic.

I guess all those guys who are into high-end audio gear (Conrad Johnson,
Mark Levinson, Krell, Audio Research, Theta Digital, C.A.L., KEF, Sonic
Frontiers, and I could go on and on), they didn't grow up either, right?

You see, this is about MUSIC. Pure and simple. MUSIC, THAT'S THE BOTTOM
LINE, PERIOD. The pure, accurate reproduction of music.

Music can move you. Music can make you feel wonderful on a rainy day. And
it takes a GREAT system to REALLY stir your sole.

It's PATHETIC you've lost your appreciation of this most wonderful gift. I
truly feel sorry for you.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

MOSFET wrote:
Personally, and I don't mean this to be rude, but I just grew up.

Well, personally, and I don't mean this to be rude, you sound pathetic.

I guess all those guys who are into high-end audio gear (Conrad Johnson,
Mark Levinson, Krell, Audio Research, Theta Digital, C.A.L., KEF, Sonic
Frontiers, and I could go on and on), they didn't grow up either, right?

You see, this is about MUSIC. Pure and simple. MUSIC, THAT'S THE BOTTOM
LINE, PERIOD. The pure, accurate reproduction of music.

Music can move you. Music can make you feel wonderful on a rainy day. And
it takes a GREAT system to REALLY stir your sole.

It's PATHETIC you've lost your appreciation of this most wonderful gift. I
truly feel sorry for you.

MOSFET

Holy crap, what a load of self-righteous, pandering, condescending tripe. Once
again, everyone must do everything Nick's way, to Nick's approval, for Nick's
reasons, or they're a waste of flesh. If you don't live up to Nick's image, you
don't deserve to be alive.

Get the **** over yourself, already.

Posted to rec.audio.car
D.Kreft D.Kreft is offline

MOSFET wrote:

Well, personally, and I don't mean this to be rude, you sound pathetic.
[...snip...]
It's PATHETIC you've lost your appreciation of this most wonderful gift. I
truly feel sorry for you.

Come on, dude, cut the guy some slack. We all go through seasons of
life.

I used to build model airplanes when I was a kid--I did a terrific job
on them, too--I even hung them from my ceiling in action poses so I
could fall asleep pretending I was surrounded by dog-fighting jets.
But, as much as I loved it, I don't do it anymore because, well, I grew
out of that hobby and into something else--skateboarding.

I skated for quite a few years--it was not only my hobby and my sport,
but also my sole means of transportation for a number of years (my left
calf is 3/4" bigger than the right to this day because of this).
Eventually, I "grew out of" that hobby and into something else....and
so the story goes.

Does that mean that I've lost my appreciation for detailed airplane
models? No, not at all--I can still enjoy someone else's work and
appreciate all the effort that goes into building one even if I don't
care to do it myself anymore. Or does this mean that I can't appreciate
what it takes to ollie up onto a park bench and grind the wood off of
the seat? No, I can appreciate the skill required to do that without
killing oneself, even if I don't do it myself (and even if I don't
particularly care for the destruction of property attendant with
'boarding).

TI also gave up mobile audio as a hobby...for reasons that are not
important enough to be discussed here. I don't get back into the hobby
because with a wife, two kids and a mortgage to support, my priorities
have shifted. I've also learned a powerful lesson--that the more stuff
you own, the more stuff owns you. I can't tell you how paranoid I was
about someone breaking into my car and robbing me of thousands of
dollars of "stuff" that I had bought and installed myself. Does this
mean I cannot appreciate music or a system that images so well you feel
like Clair Marlo is sitting in your lap? No, I think that's absolutely
amazing. But ya know...as imporant to me as music is (I'm an amateur
musician, too), it's just not important enough *for me* to spend my
money putting that stuff in my car.

The fact that I have chosen not to pursue mobile audio as a hobby says
nothing about you, the industry, hobbyists or hard-core fanatics who,
of their own volition, have chosen to pursue something that they truly
enjoy--the pursuit of audio perfection on wheels. So if those of us who
"grew out of it" as a hobby promise not to pass judgement on you for
enjoying your hobby, could you agree not to pass judgement on us for
not being "into it" any more?

You see, this is about MUSIC. Pure and simple. MUSIC, THAT'S THE BOTTOM
LINE, PERIOD. The pure, accurate reproduction of music.

Amen, brother. Long live music and the faithful reproduction thereof.

Music can move you. Music can make you feel wonderful on a rainy day. And
it takes a GREAT system to REALLY stir your sole.

Actually, I find that my "soles" are stirred most when dunking on short
people who stand between me and a basketball hoop. (Sorry, couldn't
resist. :-)

May distortion never find you, and may the spurrious vibrations of your
chassis be forever damped.

-dan

Posted to rec.audio.car
John Durbin John Durbin is offline

Batvette said it better (and a lot shorter):

"It's about the music, stupid!"

JD

MOSFET wrote:
Personally, and I don't mean this to be rude, but I just grew up.

Well, personally, and I don't mean this to be rude, you sound pathetic.

I guess all those guys who are into high-end audio gear (Conrad Johnson,
Mark Levinson, Krell, Audio Research, Theta Digital, C.A.L., KEF, Sonic
Frontiers, and I could go on and on), they didn't grow up either, right?

You see, this is about MUSIC. Pure and simple. MUSIC, THAT'S THE BOTTOM
LINE, PERIOD. The pure, accurate reproduction of music.

Music can move you. Music can make you feel wonderful on a rainy day. And
it takes a GREAT system to REALLY stir your sole.

It's PATHETIC you've lost your appreciation of this most wonderful gift. I
truly feel sorry for you.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Batvette said it better (and a lot shorter):

"It's about the music, stupid!"

JD

That was PRECISELY my point!

I suppose my response was a bit too terse, I admit. It just sounded to me
like he was implying car audio was just for kids. THAT I disagree with.

Car audio is FIRST AND FOREMOST about music, which I would hope you NEVER
grow out of.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Two posts complaining about me in a 5 minute span.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Come on, dude, cut the guy some slack. We all go through seasons of
life.

I used to build model airplanes when I was a kid--I did a terrific job
on them, too--I even hung them from my ceiling in action poses

I built and hung model airplanes in my room, too!!! I had a F-15, F-16,
F-14, F-18, F-4 and F-86. All in 1/48th scale. I loved my planes.

You're right. My response was a bit terse. However, my FIRST impression
was that he was implying car audio was for kids. That was what sparked that
very terse response. I STRONGLY disagree with that.

Car audio is about music which most people NEVER grow out of, and if they
do, I pity them. I love music dearly and I would hope I never "grow out" of
music.

But I understand that the "hobby" of car audio may have to take a back seat
to other life-priorities. So I understand the point you were making and I
agree.

Nick

Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald bob wald is offline

jl, hmm.does that stand for ''just laughs''. lol
or ''Just for Laughs''.
had a nightmare once i had rf/jl/re/memphis car audio system....woke up
sweating....
ran looked at my jvc/profile/pioneer/jensen/lanzar
system... felt better......LOL.....

Posted to rec.audio.car
D.Kreft D.Kreft is offline

bob wald wrote:
jl, hmm.does that stand for ''just laughs''. lol
or ''Just for Laughs''.
had a nightmare once i had rf/jl/re/memphis car audio system....woke up
sweating....
ran looked at my jvc/profile/pioneer/jensen/lanzar
system... felt better......LOL.....

I know what you mean. I once had a dream that a system comprised of
Denon, Precision Power, MB Quart and JL Audio...I woke up feeling much
the same. I ran out to my vehicle in the middle of the night and was
much relieved seeing my Kraco, Sparkomatic, and Rockwood system still
there.

Tangentially, I must say Bob, that you are a veritable bottomless pit
of wisdom and insightful comments:

http://groups.google.com/groups/prof...MOqJoqdK4hA-xw

It's posts like yours that keep the signal-to-noise ratio on USENET at
such amazing levels. Thanks for your contribution.

-dan

Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald bob wald is offline

jl, i must say i am alil impressed with thier amps//but thier prices
killed that.lol
you see you make the same mistakes all very lil minded kids make.
comparing my brands with brands that are not good at all.
i will admit..most of the brands you like are good but over priced.
thats why i have the brands i have.i got a great system under $1100 new,
total .
not counting install n wires.
no video.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Dan, also, please call me Nick. Or you can use my full name:

Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor

But only my mother uses this name when she's mad at me....

Nick

Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald bob wald is offline

those brands you listed wouldnt last over a yr med use.. my jensen cd
going on 5 yrs now..i wouldnt trade it for your deck...lol

Posted to rec.audio.car
John Durbin John Durbin is offline

Waste of time using words of more than one syllable on good ole' Bob,
Dan. He's already flunked "f#$k off" repeatedly, doubt he'll be stepping
up on "tangentially", "veritable", or "insightful".

JD

BTW, was that system composed of, or did it comprise? :-)

D.Kreft wrote:
bob wald wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
D.Kreft D.Kreft is offline

John Durbin wrote:

BTW, was that system composed of, or did it comprise? :-)

Who knows? You know how crazy things get in your dreams, John.

-dan

Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] andrew@frozenmomentsphotography.com is offline

Ahh, this is why I can never really leave this place...

I figured that might come across as wrong, which is why I said "I don't
mean this to be rude."

What I was trying to say is what the ever more elliquent DKIL said
perfectly for me.

I used to dig spending Saturday mornings, afternoons, evenings, and
quite a few midnights, with my head buried in my trunk or in my
basement mixing up some fiberglass (Funny side story... when my parents
died they were still living in the house I grew up in. When I went
back to handle all the arrangements there was still a 2 inch circle of
dried fiberglass on the basement carpet where I spilled it, 10 or 12
years ago).

Today I have learned to accept that my musical reproduction in the car
will be limited to what the car's manufacturer thinks is best for me.
I instead spend Saturday mornings with my wife, my son, my golf game,
my in-laws, my work, my students, or my home.

Priorities change. Some people never allow the music to drop down in
their priority list. I repeatedly had my ass kicked at IASCA shows by
people 10 to 20 years my senior. Some people do. I don't mean that
car audio is a juvinile persuit, I know plenty of people in their 30's
who build model airplanes or cars. I just mean that my particular
priorities matured over the last 10 years.

As a side note, the stock system in my current car probably would score
better than half the cars on the 1995 IASCA circuit. OEM has also
matured, a lot, and that has a lot to do with my acceptance of it...
that and the fact it's integrated to the car tighter than a virgin's
daughter.

---A

MOSFET wrote:
Batvette said it better (and a lot shorter):

"It's about the music, stupid!"

JD

That was PRECISELY my point!

I suppose my response was a bit too terse, I admit. It just sounded to me
like he was implying car audio was just for kids. THAT I disagree with.

Car audio is FIRST AND FOREMOST about music, which I would hope you NEVER
grow out of.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

First of all, let me apologize for my rudeness. That was a crass thing to
say and uncalled for.

As a side note, the stock system in my current car probably would score
better than half the cars on the 1995 IASCA circuit.

You know, that to me says you DO still care about the SQ of your car
(though, I must say, I competed in IASCA in 1995 and I have hard time
imagining any of today's stock systems even approaching the system in my '95
Maxima I competed with). But clearly there's some pride there for your
stock system. A pride born of listening to music.

I mean, music is so important to me (it's like the air I breath) that I find
my love of music and my love of the equipment that produces that music
inseparable. I can't have one without the other.

My life's priorities have changed as well (I'm 38, married with a family,
career, etc.). And let me make this one thing clear, NOTHING is as
important to me in this universe as my wife. She is my EVERYTHING, she is my
world.

But just as food sustains my body, I guess music sustains my soul. I guess
I kind of figured anybody who would get deeply involved with this hobby
would feel the same way about music. It sounds like you probably DO still
enjoy music very much on your stock system. You just don't pursue car audio
as a hobby.

Again, I hope I NEVER lose my love of music. I hope you haven't as well.
Music is such a wonderful gift.

MOSFET