Penguinista

Default Newbie question - Better sound for my olds

OK

This might sound awfully simplistic to y'all - but here goes.

I just bought a 94 Olds 98. Nice ride, got it cheap. There's only one
problem. It's got a basic am/fm/cassette, and it's got steering wheel
controls (seek, preset & volume control). I'd like to have better
quality sound (and a CD player), but I don't want to lose the ability
to control the darned thing from the steering wheel.

So - what would y'all suggest? I'm thinking about replacing all the
speakers (they distort @ volume), the head unit, and maybe putting a
small amplifier somewhere in the car.

I'll be doing the installation myself, and I'd like it to look good,
sound good and still be controlled from the wheel.

I've googled my questions so far - and wound up w/ all kinds of
advertising for install kits.

Is there a GM upgrade stereo that'll fit? Are they interchangable
between models? What models will change? How do I install it and make
it look good? Anyone have any URLs that might give me some good input?
I don't even know where to look to find the answers on my own.

I'd sure appreciate your input.

Live Well Be Well Do Good Works.

Selah
dvdo

Go to crutchfield.com and punch in your make and model of your car and it
will bring up items that will fit, just to give you an idea etc.
Aftermarket is the only way to go!

om...