Andrew

Default Rode NTK output level increased

I have two rode NTKs. For some reason, the output level of one of
them seems to have severely increased. I don't have numbers or
voltages or anything...but it threw my AD calibration out of whack. I
am running them through a sytek. It is not the pre-amp. Why would my
NTK do this? Where do you get an NTK fixed? Is it the tube maybe? I
haven't checked to see if it is the power supply or not. Thank you.
Geoff Wood

Andrew wrote:
I have two rode NTKs. For some reason, the output level of one of
them seems to have severely increased. I don't have numbers or
voltages or anything...but it threw my AD calibration out of whack. I
am running them through a sytek. It is not the pre-amp. Why would my
NTK do this? Where do you get an NTK fixed? Is it the tube maybe? I
haven't checked to see if it is the power supply or not. Thank you.

It sounds as if it has a fault, probably not the valve. Have you tried
where you got it from, or the local distributors ?

geoff

Geoff Wood

Sugarite wrote:
Andrew wrote:
I have two rode NTKs. For some reason, the output level of one of
them seems to have severely increased. I don't have numbers or
voltages or anything...but it threw my AD calibration out of whack.
I am running them through a sytek. It is not the pre-amp. Why
would my NTK do this? Where do you get an NTK fixed? Is it the
tube maybe? I haven't checked to see if it is the power supply or
not. Thank you.

It sounds as if it has a fault, probably not the valve. Have you
tried where you got it from, or the local distributors ?

Sorry to make the problem seem harder to fix, but I'd say it's very
likely the valve. Sovtek tubes are notoriously inconsistent and
hardly stellar at their best. I'd start by upgrading the tubes
first, since it certainly won't hurt either way, and see if the
problem persists.

I guess if it was knocked, some tube bitties could move and make the output
higher (though not necessarily linearly). But normal degradation is usually
in the downwards direction.

geoff