Len Moskowitz

Default M-Audio Microtrack 2496 recordings

Chel van Gennip wrote:

Today I made, as promissed, some real recordings with the Microtrack.
Hall was not very quiet, some noise from airconditioners and outside.
Piano bench needs fixing. Piano (Sauter) and acoustics were not
perfect.

Thanks for the recording.

I hear a bit of hiss at low levels. MicroTrack 24/96 mic pre? Or is
that the air conditioning?

I also hear an upper bass hollowness and a low level one-note-boom.
Room? Mics?

Gotta get that bench fixed!

Core Sound http://www.core-sound.com
Teaneck, New Jersey USA Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Bill Van Dyk

Cool. This is like attending a seminar on digital recording. Thanks guys.

Chel van Gennip wrote:
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 04:00:31 +0200, Len Moskowitz wrote:

I hear a bit of hiss at low levels. MicroTrack 24/96 mic pre? Or is
that the air conditioning?

I am not sure. The low levels really are low. This piece normally makes a
big impression on the audience, so in the quiet parts the audience really
is verry quiet. The self noise of the AKG C480B is about 11dB, the sound
level at recording position is about 95 dB.

I also hear an upper bass hollowness and a low level one-note-boom.
Room? Mics?

Room and instrument were far from perfect.

Gotta get that bench fixed!

That is an "on location" problem.

Maybe new recordings in a week or two, different location.

frz-man

The microtrak has less noise than the Marantz 670 that I tested at the
same time. That is noise I can hear before and after recording. I
believe that 670 has as much noise as tape hiss from the Nagra IV & I
don't think that the headphones had anything to do with the noise.

After "normalizing" the sound - the noise- almost disappears with the
free software from M-Audio (Audacity)

Frz