Da S

Default No AM reception on LI

Just brought home a new Cambridge Soundworks 730 radio yesterday and
the fm radio is fine but I get absolutely nothing on AM whatsoever. I
was going to call Cambridge Soundworks and tell them the unit is
defective but I went into my den and I went to my sony Receiver am
presets and also got nothing but the FM and all other sources are fine.
Can something in Northern Long Island be interfering with AM reception
as I have never experienced this before. Any help appreciated
Richard Crowley

"Da S" wrote ...
Just brought home a new Cambridge Soundworks 730 radio yesterday and
the fm radio is fine but I get absolutely nothing on AM whatsoever. I
was going to call Cambridge Soundworks and tell them the unit is
defective but I went into my den and I went to my sony Receiver am
presets and also got nothing but the FM and all other sources are fine.
Can something in Northern Long Island be interfering with AM reception
as I have never experienced this before. Any help appreciated

You didn't mention whether you had connected an antenna?
Many AM receivers (particularly the more sophisticated ones)
require an external antenna. This could be as simple as a 10-foot
piece of insulated wire hanging off the connection on the back.

Your Cambridge Soundworks 730 specifically refers to both FM
and AM antenna connectors on the back.

Laurence Payne

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:03:01 GMT, Da S wrote:

Can something in Northern Long Island be interfering with AM reception
as I have never experienced this before. Any help appreciated

All your base are belong to us!
JohnR

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Da S" wrote ...
Just brought home a new Cambridge Soundworks 730 radio yesterday and
the fm radio is fine but I get absolutely nothing on AM whatsoever. I
was going to call Cambridge Soundworks and tell them the unit is
defective but I went into my den and I went to my sony Receiver am
presets and also got nothing but the FM and all other sources are fine.
Can something in Northern Long Island be interfering with AM reception
as I have never experienced this before. Any help appreciated

You didn't mention whether you had connected an antenna?
Many AM receivers (particularly the more sophisticated ones)
require an external antenna. This could be as simple as a 10-foot
piece of insulated wire hanging off the connection on the back.

Your Cambridge Soundworks 730 specifically refers to both FM
and AM antenna connectors on the back.

God point. Most receivers come with a little plastic loop antenna for AM. My
old Sansui 7070 has a *loop stick" AM antenna attached to the back.
John

John Walton

With a well designed loop antenna people in the U.K. listen to A.M.
broadcasts in the U.S. You don't really need a "longwire" -- a good loop
will provide excellent results -- here's a link:
http://www.mindspring.com/~loop_antenna/ (there are a million loop designs
on the web).